Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

vCash
    I'm sure that this is one of the reasons why Yuka is referred to by other skaters as a "skater's skater".

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bookslut View Post
    David Santee's son Ryan competed at one point. He'd be about 19 now, don't know if he is still competing.
    Yes, Ryan Santee is still competing in Junior Men this season and his parents are his coaches -- James "Jimmie" Santee is his father, not David. From Jimmie Santee's wiki, he was the "1981 Golden Spin of Zagreb champion and the 1979 U.S. junior national champion and the 1977 novice national champion. He placed 7th at the 1979 World Junior Figure Skating Championships. ... His wife Jamie-Lynn Kitching, was a former principal skater with Disney from 1983-1995 and the 1981 World Professional silver medalist."

This young skater hasn't been mentioned yet in this thread - from Sarah Brannen's article: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news
    The daughter of two-time Olympian pairs skater Bill Fauver, Thoburn, competed in intermediate ladies at the 2013 Eastern Great Lakes Sectional Championships. Fauver says he and his former wife, Laura Sanders, who is Thoburn's coach, never wanted to push their daughter into the sport.

"She made her own decision," Fauver said. "Laura and I gave her the opportunity, but we didn't want to push her at all. She was just out there playing with us, zooming around the rink. She didn't really focus on skating until about three years ago. She made her own commitment to do it."
    Thobie Fauver is competing in Intermediate again this season.

ETA:
    Anya Cockerell is competing in Junior Ladies this season and her mother and coach, Elena Kvitchenko Cockerell, was a former pairs skater in the Soviet Union with Rashid Kadyrkaev (they were 6th at 1989 Worlds). Anya also has competed previously in pairs at the lower levels. Her father, Mark Cockerell, competed at the 1984 Olympics and was a U.S. World Team member from 1983-1985 as well as a Junior World Champion.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 06-24-2013 at 08:25 PM. Reason: To add more info about the Santees
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    I thought I remembered reading somewhere that a while ago, when Daria Grinkova was skating, that sometimes, she did pairs skating with Artur Dmitriev's son. Could you imagine conversation around the dinner table between Sergei and Artur? If Daria would have continued skating, I would have been curious to see if she had inherited any of her parent's mad skating skills.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Yes, Ryan Santee is still competing in Junior Men this season and his parents are his coaches -- James "Jimmie" Santee is his father, not David.
    Correction to my earlier post: David Santee co-coaches his nephew Ryan, along with Ryan's mother.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Liza Kulik landed her first 2A in competition at the recent Pasadena Open club comp. - her video can be found here: http://kuliksskating.com/events/pasadena-open.html
    This is her second season at the Juvenile level.

vCash
    Her jumps look just like daddy's...huge, airy, with plenty of time. I like it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    Can you imagine if Elizaveta Kulik has skating skills from both her mom and dad? The US will have it's own Russian wonder baby in the future.
    I thought watching videos of her skating that you actually can see glimpses of both parents. I saw Katia sometimes in her movements and her lutz is totally Ilia (right down to the approach steps).

I'm not sure we can assume she would skate for the US. If her skating gets to the level of international competition, she will have the option of skating for either the US (where she was born) or Russia (where her parents were born).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12