Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    vCash
    I love Gao but can't she be her own skater? So many times I see posts like "so-and-so is the next -insert big name skater here-!"

vCash
    I think Gao needs to duplicate her last years feat of making the Grand Prix final to have any hope of making the 3 women U.S Olympic team.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bronwynsings View Post
    I love Gao but can't she be her own skater? So many times I see posts like "so-and-so is the next -insert big name skater here-!"
    I know, it bugs me too. I don't usually post in threads like these but wanted to let her fans know that I've posted a new Q&A with Christina Gao in the U.S. Ladies thread here: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...=1#post4005584
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    I haven't read the thread, but wanted to answer the question posed in the title:

Imho Christina is no where near the skater that Yuna Kim is in terms of personality on ice. That latter is Oksana Baiulesque, whereas the former is not. Therein lies the difference, a HUGE difference. The difference between night and day. jimho.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NadineWhite View Post
    I haven't read the thread, but wanted to answer the question posed in the title:

Imho Christina is no where near the skater that Yuna Kim is in terms of personality on ice. That latter is Oksana Baiulesque, whereas the former is not. Therein lies the difference, a HUGE difference. The difference between night and day. jimho.
    The biggest differences between the two are:

1. Kim has huge jumps with amazing speed. Gao has nice neat jumps but nothing special.

2. Kim has very good spins, despite that they are arguably the weakest part of her skating they are still very good and better than any of the top ladies today besides possibly Gold and Asada. Spins are the biggest weakness for Gao and they are mediocre at best.

3. Kim has amazing personality on ice like you said. She can be sexy, seductive, flirty, dramatic, empassioned, saucy, deliberate. Gao has virtually none. She interprets music fairly well but there is no pizzaz or personality.

4. Kim has proven herself over the years with consistency. Gao is not consistent enough so she doesnt get the respect from the judges for even her great skates. Like last year she skated great at Nationals but since she wasnt consistent all year the way people like Wagner, Gold, and Zawadzk were she didnt get the marks they did at Nationals, despite that they all had mistakes.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KimGOAT View Post
    The biggest differences between the two are:

1. Kim has huge jumps with amazing speed. Gao has nice neat jumps but nothing special.

2. Kim has very good spins, despite that they are arguably the weakest part of her skating they are still very good and better than any of the top ladies today besides possibly Gold and Asada. Spins are the biggest weakness for Gao and they are mediocre at best.

3. Kim has amazing personality on ice like you said. She can be sexy, seductive, flirty, dramatic, empassioned, saucy, deliberate. Gao has virtually none. She interprets music fairly well but there is no pizzaz or personality.

4. Kim has proven herself over the years with consistency. Gao is not consistent enough so she doesnt get the respect from the judges for even her great skates. Like last year she skated great at Nationals but since she wasnt consistent all year the way people like Wagner, Gold, and Zawadzk were she didnt get the marks they did at Nationals, despite that they all had mistakes.
    Actually Gao was more consistent then Gracie or Agnes last season.

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    "Gao the same skater as Kim essentialy, why cant she do better?" ... If you say they are the same skater, then maybe Gao does not do better because there is only room for one Kim? ...

vCash
    Gao has always been a bland skater, no "IT" quality even though her overall skating is pleasant. I've seen her live, and I think she's one of the few skaters that actually comes across better on the screen rather than real life, especially compared to other top tier skaters. Perhaps this is the season she'll find some on-ice charisma and personality, and get beyond forever-bridesmaid stage and onto podiums. It's now or never for her.

vCash
    I can see why people would compare Christina & Yuna. Their body types are definitely similar (as is Lu Chen's). And, especially when Christina was training with Orser, she did come across as "mini-Yuna," in part due to the big, high 3F-3T combo she was doing then. Now that Christina has grown up and switched to Mitchell & Johansson, she is coming into her own, and I think there are fewer similarities with Yuna.

I've been fortunate to see both ladies live at the EWC show in Boston: Christina in 2011 & 2012, Yuna in 2011. What I noticed most with Christina was her delicacy and lightness on the ice. She had good speed. The impression was not of powerful stroking, however, but very light & gentle, floating movement over the ice. Christina is a lovely skater, and I enjoy her very much.

Yuna was quite different, though. Watching her live was so impressive. This is going to sound ridiculously OTT, but honestly the sensation was like watching a diamond turning, shining, flashing in the light. First of all, she filled the ice completely with her performance. It went by in a flash. Every element and move seemed so well done. Her spins, which are so often criticized, looked wonderful live. Very fast, very nice positions. And most of all, the performance was a seamless whole. There was no hesitation at any point. Every element went absolutely smoothly into the next, with everything performed at top speed. Yuna made that rink look small. Whereas with other skaters, Christina included, it looked big.

My point? I think Christina's dominant qualities are delicacy, precision, & lightness. Whereas Yuna's dominant quality is the tremendous speed & power that manifests in every aspect of her programs.

vCash
    I don't see any similarities other than a nice toe point when in rotation. Their techniques are obviously different as is stroking, speed, height and amplitude. Both lack flexibility, but Yuna has that charisma and oozes confidence. Both are beautiful and lean and while the judges give Yuna a perfect score for PCS Gao will have to settle for her perfect scores in the SAT
    Love them both for different reasons.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    I just read the OP's first two sentences and nothing else as yet. The reason: I just have to say before I read any further that in many ways, Christina Gao is a more aesthetically pleasing skater in terms of gorgeous lines and positions (particularly in her layback spins vs Yu Na, who frankly has ugly spin positions).

I think both Yu Na and Christina could be more expressive on the ice, although once again, I feel that Christina exhibits a bit more emotion and perhaps she will improve further with maturity. In Yu Na's case, I feel that she has a very reserved personality which makes expressing herself freely on the ice somewhat difficult.

So in fact, Yu Na is not "as good" as Christina in some respects. IMO, where Yu Na does tower over Christina is in nearly perfect technique on jumps. Yu Na was like a machine at London Worlds in terms of technical brilliance. And yes there was some deep emotion under the surface that appeared to be driving Yu Na, but for me practically none of it spilled over into her performance. It was like she had a job to do and she was simply fiercely determined to get it done and freakin' NADA was going to stop her. That was Yu Na's attitude, which Christina could use some of in her approach to competing. But again, they both could benefit from projecting more to the audience.
    Well buck up! If Yu Na can practice harder and better without injuring herself than I am sure that one day she too can be as beautiful and accomplished a skater as Christina is.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    Actually Gao was more consistent then Gracie or Agnes last season.
    How so? Gao had one very good event international wise (Skate America) and two weak ones. Agnes and Gracie both had one very good event and one poor one. Coming dead last at the Grand Prix final which didnt even have Kim or Kostner with a very low score would hardly have raised her stock going into Nationals.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KimGOAT View Post
    How so? Gao had one very good event international wise (Skate America) and two weak ones. Agnes and Gracie both had one very good event and one poor one. Coming dead last at the Grand Prix final which didnt even have Kim or Kostner with a very low score would hardly have raised her stock going into Nationals.
    Gracie had one bad GP event and she also bombed at 4CC. She was up and down all season. Gao had only one bad finish internationally last season at the GPF while Gracie had bad finishes at both SC and 4CC.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by clairecloutier View Post
    I can see why people would compare Christina & Yuna. Their body types are definitely similar (as is Lu Chen's). And, especially when Christina was training with Orser, she did come across as "mini-Yuna," in part due to the big, high 3F-3T combo she was doing then. Now that Christina has grown up and switched to Mitchell & Johansson, she is coming into her own, and I think there are fewer similarities with Yuna.

I've been fortunate to see both ladies live at the EWC show in Boston: Christina in 2011 & 2012, Yuna in 2011. What I noticed most with Christina was her delicacy and lightness on the ice. She had good speed. The impression was not of powerful stroking, however, but very light & gentle, floating movement over the ice. Christina is a lovely skater, and I enjoy her very much.

Yuna was quite different, though. Watching her live was so impressive. This is going to sound ridiculously OTT, but honestly the sensation was like watching a diamond turning, shining, flashing in the light. First of all, she filled the ice completely with her performance. It went by in a flash. Every element and move seemed so well done. Her spins, which are so often criticized, looked wonderful live. Very fast, very nice positions. And most of all, the performance was a seamless whole. There was no hesitation at any point. Every element went absolutely smoothly into the next, with everything performed at top speed. Yuna made that rink look small. Whereas with other skaters, Christina included, it looked big.

My point? I think Christina's dominant qualities are delicacy, precision, & lightness. Whereas Yuna's dominant quality is the tremendous speed & power that manifests in every aspect of her programs.

I beg to differ on Christina Gao's skating being without power or speed. I saw her skate live last year at Skate America, a competition, not a show like EWC, and she flew across the ice with speed, power, command, and attack! She lilterally kicked Ashley Wagner's butt. However, Ashley embodied her character and showed personality on ice, wherein imho Christina did not. So even though she outskated Ashley, she came in second. So be it.

Here's hoping Christina Gao comes out kicking a** and taking names this Olympic season!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123