Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    vCash
    Armin actually had a great 4t. I a lack of a competitive mindset is what held him back the most, as he was a very talented and well-rounded skater in terms of jumps, spins, and artistry. He just seemed too nervous and not confident enough when he competed and that was why we rarely got to see him at his best. He still had some great moments though and I'm sure he'll do great in the real world!

vCash
    ^^ Yes I too feel that Armin is one of the top U.S. guys who proved he could land the quad. He did not lack for talent in mastering them, and he was certainly in a good training location to continue improving the quad and all of his jumps. The main thing he needed was to work on consistency under pressure.

Like most of the U.S. guys, Armin was a bit behind the curve in getting quads fully within his complete control. Still Armin can rock quads. With more consistency and managing competition nerves, Armin's right up there with the best in the world. Even though he didn't have the kind of season he'd hoped for this past year, Armin definitely gave it everything he's got, and he should feel very proud.

vCash
    Ice Network interviewed Armin:

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news

Love his candor in the interview.

I sort of "watched him grow up" over the years. He has a sensitivity to music and an original and intellectual mind to skating that showed hints of promise but never got not fully developed. But, I don't feel bad. He's such a smart and confident young man. I'm sure he will succeed in anything he pursues.

vCash
    Hmm, he says in the article that he is at NVCC, then will transfer to UVa. So I guess my sources are wrong about U of P, unless there are two with the same name?

Quadless
    vCash
    Props to Armin - it takes a lot of maturity to walk away from the familiar and comfortable, but he seems smart enough to realize that despite the achievements he's had on the ice, there is more out there for which he can strive. A Grand Prix medal and many national medals is a pretty great run, and I hope he's even more successful in the next stage of his life.
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

vCash
    His moving on is probably the right thing to do, but the unrealized potential makes me sad. Two or three years ago he seemed like one of the upcoming stars, but somethng went wrong -- injuries, programs that all seemed alike, and all those similar black costumes. He is a gifted musician as well as skater, but although he was elegant and sensitive, that musicality did not lead to interesting programs. Maybe he never got the right choreographer or costume designer. Maybe money lay behind the weaknesses. It's a cruel sport, if a beautiful one.

I loved his piano tributes to Mao Asada and kept waiting for them to have a date, at the very least!

Anyway, he is a wonderfully multi-talented young man and I am sure he will go on to great things. Meanwhile I hope he won't take too long to elaborate on his comments on the IJS. I want to know the details!

vCash
    What happen with Amen's skate at this past Nationals?

I have memory of him as a tiny tot practicing MITF during the morning sessions at Fairfax Ice Arena. Needless to say, his skating has developed tremendously since then. He seems to be talented in many area, so he should do well beyond skating. I believe there is a rink in the Charlottesville area, so he can continue to keep up his skating skills at UVA if he chooses. Best of luck to him. Go WAHOO !!!

vCash
    This is such sad news, I really loved his skating, he is such an elegant skater, but I felt he did not always get the scores he deserved, especially in PCS. And when he finally got nice quads (early last season) he got injured, such bad luck. I also hope he now does not regret giving up his chance to study at Dartmouth College. I wish him all the best in his future!

vCash
    UVA is a great school. I hope he finds everything he was hoping for there. I'll miss his skating - US Men are so much fun to watch and I appreciated that he tried to push the technical envelope by adding the quad this year. He would have done better at nationals if he hadn't attempted it, but I think it's great he did.

vCash
    IMO it is smart to take the year off since I don't think he has a chance to make the Olympic team this year. But I really hope he reconsiders quitting altogether, he is talented enough that he could do more at the world stage. With the current talent in US skating it seems very likely that we'll regain our three spots back. Say all you want but three spots opens the door for many skaters, including him. And once you're in the world team, a breakthrough skate it's all it takes.

vCash
    Tweeted by Armin this morning: https://twitter.com/Armin_hammer/sta...58447112220672
    "It's been a long journey, but it's finally come full circle. Heading to Dartmouth this fall! #GoBigGreen"
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    How wonderful for him!

vCash
    I hate to see him leave, but wish him every success....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Tweeted by Armin this morning: https://twitter.com/Armin_hammer/sta...58447112220672
    "It's been a long journey, but it's finally come full circle. Heading to Dartmouth this fall! #GoBigGreen"
    Creating drama!

vCash
    That is great news that he got into Dartmouth after all!

KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffisjeff View Post
    EYS!

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    I really enjoyed his skating at Nationals ... the talented have so many good options.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post

vCash
    Wheeee! Another Dartmouth alum joining in
    Thanks for the memories Armin and best wishes for an awesome future!!!
    (But make sure you pack a warm coat! )
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

vCash
    A few years ago Armin had deferred Dartmouth for one year, but then his skating career took off. So I am glad that he will be going there after all, would hate that he'd have any problems being readmitted.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast