Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

vCash

Coca-Cola taps Kwan, Lysacek to serve as Sochi Olympic Ambassadors of Active Living

Press release: http://www.marketwatch.com/story/fou...now-2013-06-12
    ATLANTA, Jun 12, 2013 (BUSINESS WIRE) -- Coca-Cola is popping the top on a new quartet of athletes, including two Olympic champions, a world-class legend and a Paralympic hopeful, who will represent the brand for the Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games. The foursome will have prominent roles in the Company's marketing efforts leading up to the Games and will be featured, in part, in digital advertising, packaging and retail POS. Members of the Coca-Cola "Four Pack" also will serve as "Ambassadors of Active Living" to encourage and inspire fans to lead healthy, balanced lifestyles.

This week, the Coca-Cola "Four Pack" joined together in Boston to take part in a photo and video shoot to capture content and images that will be used in the Company's marketing efforts. The collection of athletes includes:

-- Michelle Kwan - two-time Olympic medalist in women's figure skating. Kwan also is a five-time World Champion, nine-time U.S. National Champion and is the most decorated figure skater in U.S. history.

-- Ted Ligety - gold medalist in men's alpine skiing at the 2006 Winter Olympics in Torino and Sochi 2014 hopeful. Ligety also was a three-time Gold Medalist at the 2013 World Championships, and has won a World Championship (2011), two World Cup Overall Giant Slalom Championships and six U.S. National Championships.

-- Evan Lysacek - gold medalist in men's figure skating at the 2010 Winter Olympics in Vancouver and Sochi 2014 hopeful. Lysacek also has won a World Championship (2009) and two U.S. Championships (2007, 2008). His 10 major titles make him the most decorated U.S. male skater in the past decade.

-- Amy Purdy - three-time World Cup champion in para-snowboarding and currently the top-ranked female adaptive snowboarder in the U.S. and a Paralympic hopeful for Sochi 2014.

This is the fourth consecutive Olympic Games in which Coca-Cola has featured a collection of athletes as part of its Olympic marketing program. The "Six Pack" that competed in Beijing in 2008 brought home 14 Olympic medals, the "Six Pack" from Vancouver won four and the "Eight Pack" from London earned 12.

Specific plans for how the "Four Pack" will be featured in the Coca-Cola 2014 Olympic program will be revealed later in 2013.
    (Keauna McLaughlin & Rockne Brubaker were part of Coca-Cola's "Six-Pack" advertising campaign leading up the 2010 Vancouver Olympics, and it didn't work out for them. At least the 'Kween' doesn't have to worry... or does she? )

ETA that Ted Ligety and Amy Purdy are also part of "Team Kellogg's" with Meryl Davis & Charlie White and Kristi Yamaguchi - GSD thread from February: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...for-Sochi-2014
    Last edited by Sylvia; 06-12-2013 at 05:29 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

Tranquillo
    vCash
    Love to see Olympic sponsors supporting figure skaters, and I always try to give the sponsors some positive feedback on twitter or facebook. The sport can use all the sponsors it can get - and nice for Michelle and Evan!
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

vCash
    Two Coca-Cola related photos tweeted by Lysacek today:

"I'm so proud to have been selected as a member of the @CocaCola family of Olympic athletes. #Sochi #2014" http://say.ly/Hwl61U9 (group of 4 chosen athletes)

"Had a blast hanging with my friend Michelle Kwan in Boston for the @CocaCola 2014 Sochi Olympic promo shoot." http://say.ly/suT61Ui

ETA Amy Purdy's ( @AmyPurdyGurl ) tweet and photo with the Kween: "I've been hanging out with this chick a lot lately! Me and Michelle Kwan! So grateful for the sponsors…"
    http://instagram.com/p/abcN2wpiLR/
    Last edited by Sylvia; 06-12-2013 at 10:31 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Thanks, Sylvia, for this post. Great news.

vCash
    I wonder what percentage of the U.S. population assumes Michelle Kwan won an Olympic gold medal. . .

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    About 105%, and that's net of the people who know she didn't.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    You're so clever

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    WHAT! You're saying she didn't???? What's the matter with you! I'll just pretend you didn't say that blasphemous statement.
    Those who never succeed themselves are always the first to tell you how.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    Kween reigns supreme!
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    You know, this kind of reminds me a little of former Australian Test cricket Captain Mark Taylor on the Fujitsu air conditioner ads. It always makes me wonder how many kids nowadays actually know who he was and what he was famous for originally, rather than just the commentator on Channel 9 and the Fujitsu ad guy.

I imagine there are going to be plenty of young figure skating fans looking at the vignettes or the cans and going, "Who's she? Who's he?" Maybe not Lysacek so much, but we're now approaching a time when some of the fans wouldn't even have been born when Kwan was at the top.

aka IceSkate98
    vCash
    Wonderful news about the Sochi Olympic Ambassadors. Thanks, Sylvia! Congratulations to Michelle, Ted, Evan and Amy!
    Angie
    “I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” ~ Thomas A. Edison

vCash
    How Coca Cola is involved in "Active Living" and the Olympics sponsorships is appalling. There's nothing healthy about Coca Cola! Might as well have McDonalds.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Angelskates View Post
    How Coca Cola is involved in "Active Living" and the Olympics sponsorships is appalling. There's nothing healthy about Coca Cola! Might as well have McDonalds.
    That may be so, but my mom swears it saved her life after my dad passed away. She hadn't eaten for days, was overwrought, and had a minor stroke that affected her eyesight for a short time. She swore the Coca Cola my brother forced down her saved her life. It may have. cOKe is OK by me.

And lots of folks I know drink an occasional Coke so they can get through their day. They're all extremely active people. I think the phrase "Active Living" implies healthy living, and that's where there is a disconnect.

O-

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    At least at McDonalds you can actually get food with redeeming nutritional value. Even Coke's bottled water is just filtered tap water and the rest is either sugar water, or "Better" Living Through Chemistry. (Diet soda scares me.)

vCash
    IfindthatthecaffeineandsugarinCocaColahelpmetotype fasterandfasterandfaster...

vCash
    Any carbonated drink, including carbonated water like Perrier, is believed to lower calcium levels in the body and weaken bones.

O-

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    Kween reigns supreme!
    Yeah, even sans Olympic gold, she's still Goddess of the Universe.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by OliviaPug View Post
    And lots of folks I know drink an occasional Coke so they can get through their day.
    There's nothing healthy about that, athlete or otherwise. There's no implication that active living means healthy living to Coca Cola, they state outright, "Members of the Coca-Cola "Four Pack" also will serve as "Ambassadors of Active Living" to encourage and inspire fans to lead healthy, balanced lifestyles."

vCash
    There's nothing healthy about that, athlete or otherwise. There's no implication that active living means healthy living to Coca Cola, they state outright, "Members of the Coca-Cola "Four Pack" also will serve as "Ambassadors of Active Living" to encourage and inspire fans to lead healthy, balanced lifestyles."
    You totally missed my point. I never said "active" = "healthy." I said that many active people I know drink a Coke from time to time to get through their extremely busy and active lives. Others drink coffee, which I find equally unhealthy and don't drink either, but everyone has to do what they have to do to make it through.

You are talking about "healthy" not "active." There is nothing about Coke that suggests it can't be a part of an active lifestyle. I am not equating healthy with active, but it seems you are.

O-

Crazy Stalker Lady
    vCash
    Yeah well I don't like Coke because in Australia they're fighting a national 10 cent per bottle recycling program - fighting it in the courts with $billions behind them. Meanwhile all their plastic bottles end up in landfills or the stomachs of wild life and seabirds killing them.

Coke =
    My travel and adventure blog http://alisonanddon.wordpress.com

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast