Page 5 of 42 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Garden Kitty View Post
    I would have liked to see Tran get NHK, but glad he got an invite. I assume he got one as a returning medalist with a new partner, but were they only eligible for one?
    They were eligible for 2, but I believe only guaranteed one, another example of poor strategizing by Skate Canada, as kwanfan1818 mentioned. That said, they will be at the top of the substitutes list, so I expect they will have a second assignment when all is said and done.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    The odd thing about seeded "Split Couples" is that they were left off last year's GP announcement altogether. The only ones mentioned were the "Returning Split Couples" ranked 7-12, and they are at the top of the alternates list. As usual, the ISU language for them is murky: they can be a host pick -- but any eligible skater can be a host pick, so why bother to state the obvious -- they get on the S/B list with the highest SB with their prior partner, and they can be chosen after everyone guaranteed a spot is given one per the Top 75 SB section. If being Top 24 SB with their old score doesn't guarantee them one spot (since it's unlikely for a former 7-12 team to be less than Top 24), then why mention this at all?

I don't have my printouts from last season with me now, and I don't remember if Yankowskas/Reagan, for example, were assigned to two up front, and, if so, one of them was SA.

The poor strategizing -- unless Purich/Tran didn't want a second/earlier GP -- wasn't so much not guaranteeing P/T* a second in the initial selection, since they did force another Fed to choose P/T, but not forcing another Fed to choose M/P, leaving a TBA second spot for either P/T or M/P. Since P/T would be at the top of the subs list, they could have gotten two for each, assuming these were wanted.

*More Pairs P/T's!
    Last edited by kwanfan1818; 06-03-2013 at 07:35 PM.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Garden Kitty View Post
    I would have liked to see Tran get NHK, but glad he got an invite. I assume he got one as a returning medalist with a new partner, but were they only eligible for one?
    I was surprised (but happy!) to see Purich and Tran listed at all. Have they even competed at any small events? I certainly hope their first competition won't be a GP event! I thought if they made the GP list, it would be at Skate Canada, so surprised again to see them listed for Trophee Bompard. (Not surprised that NHK did not pick them...)
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    It's not smart for USFSA to hold back Courtney Hicks, Hannah Miller and Angela Wang. Junior skaters will never get any international rep points until they officially turn senior. This year's JGP will be a bit weird when a group of entirely 17-18 year old American ladies go against some barely 14-year-old Russian babies.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post
    That's only because they have no imagination. Here, I fixed it for them, they can even keep the hashtag:
    Men's field at Skate America has 7 nat’l champions, 6 World medalists/3 champions, Olympic gold and bronze medalists #amazing

There's still enough left to mention Lysacek somewhere, or use a shorter exclamation than "amazing" and mention Dai, too. Or maybe this is indeed a sign of things to come?
    Touché!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by analia View Post
    It's not smart for USFSA to hold back Courtney Hicks, Hannah Miller and Angela Wang. Junior skaters will never get any international rep points until they officially turn senior. This year's JGP will be a bit weird when a group of entirely 17-18 year old American ladies go against some barely 14-year-old Russian babies.
    USFSA and logic = oxymoron

vCash
    Wang has publicly commented that she was staying junior for international competitions. I would be willing to be that Hicks and Miller have decided the same. All three staying junior makes good sense to me-- they can build up more points with two or three (if they make the Final) assignments AND gain more confidence. Setting themselves up for the next quad is smarter than rushing to get on the scene. When lots of ladies retire at the end of the season, they will surely get two spots on the GP next season and be thrusted into the spotlight in a more natural way.
    Beefcake's fancy, saccharine, artsy, drag bingo cliche effusing, bipolar, OTT fashionista manchild

vCash
    Do you know that the USFSA is holding them back? Maybe it's a decision they made with their coaches?

vCash
    Did Johny Weir got any assignments? He's planning to compete, isnt he?

vCash
    Well, the ISU gave the USFSA 12 slots, with 11 already filled and 1 TBA, maybe for Czisny, maybe Cesario. If Hicks, Miller, and Wang went senior internationally, they would be sent to senior B's and still not get much international rep. I am sure the US Fed would prefer to have 15 GP slots and let the 3 skaters turn senior, but the slots aren't there. If the ISU doesn't like the JGP filled with American 17-18 year olds, they need to give the US more than 12 slots, or go back to the days when each GP had 12 entries.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayar View Post
    Wang has publicly commented that she was staying junior for international competitions. I would be willing to be that Hicks and Miller have decided the same. All three staying junior makes good sense to me-- they can build up more points with two or three (if they make the Final) assignments AND gain more confidence. Setting themselves up for the next quad is smarter than rushing to get on the scene. When lots of ladies retire at the end of the season, they will surely get two spots on the GP next season and be thrusted into the spotlight in a more natural way.
    I think it's a smart idea. Any newbie seniors coming in aren't going to get the time of day this season, especially in the US. As I said over at GSF, if your name isn't Ashley (Wagner), Gracie, Agnes, Christina, Mirai or Alissa, your chances of getting any kind of attention are very low at this point. The judges' eyes will be on the established vets and the newer girls who made a name for themselves last year and even they still have an uphill battle.

Staying junior allows the girls to gain more experience and get some ISU championships under their belt. Even if they are junior events that still counts for something. I agree it's better that they don't rush. There is going to be an exodus of veterans at the end of next season with the majority of the top names bowing out...it's better to come in after that rather than try to make an impression on the judges when their attention is clearly elsewhere.

vCash
    Polina Edmunds is only 15 and will be one of the top US Ladies on the JGP next season so no not all the top US girls will be 17-18.

vCash
    Wow Skate America has 11 teams/singles skating that train in Detroit. And one of the TBA's could be out of Detroit or 2!!

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by b-man View Post
    Well, the ISU gave the USFSA 12 slots, with 11 already filled and 1 TBA, maybe for Czisny, maybe Cesario.
    How does the ISU give the USFS any specific number of spots or any specific limit to the number they can earn? Specific skaters from a nation can be guaranteed six, if they have three skaters/teams in the top 12, but there can be more than six others who can be guaranteed at least one, including come-back skaters, split couples (for Pairs and Dance), and SB earned scores at GP events, 4C's, Euros, Junior events (for Juniors turned seniors), and, next season, Nebelhorn, the Olympic qualifier.

The outside maximum is 18, or three per event limit per country. US Men were selected for 14 slots, including one TBA, and only one of them, Aaron, was guaranteed two. US Ladies were selected for 12 slots, including one, TBA, and two of the skaters were guaranteed two.
    Last edited by kwanfan1818; 06-03-2013 at 10:04 PM.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by robinhood View Post
    Did Johny Weir got any assignments? He's planning to compete, isnt he?
    As far as I know, he is planning on competing, am surprised he did not get any assignments as he did compete last season at the Finlandia. Did his W/D from last year's GP eliminate him from being included this year or the fact that he is not a ranked skater anymore?

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Weir did not complete a GP event or compete at any championship, and he doesn't have a SB score from last year. He's 122 on the SB list, the only WS points he has are from last year's 4th at Finlandia, and he used up his one-time "comeback skater" option last season. He hasn't met the GP minimum.

The only event for which he qualifies now is Skate America, or, if he wins the US International, Nebelhorn, Nepala, Finlandia, or Coupe de Nice, he can earn the GP minimum and be at the bottom of the alternates list, which, except for Pairs in a bad year, is about a .0000000000001% chance.

vCash
    So the first chance we will have to see Johnny compete will be sectionals in order to qualify for nationals?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    How does the ISU give the USFS any specific number of spots or any specific limit to the number they can earn? Specific skaters from a nation can be guaranteed six, if they have three skaters/teams in the top 12, but there can be more than six others who can be guaranteed at least one, including come-back skaters, split couples (for Pairs and Dance), and SB earned scores at GP events, 4C's, Euros, Junior events (for Juniors turned seniors), and, next season, Nebelhorn, the Olympic qualifier.

The outside maximum is 18, or three per event limit per country. US Men were selected for 14 slots, including one TBA, and only one of them, Aaron, was guaranteed two. US Ladies were selected for 12 slots, including one, TBA, and two of the skaters were guaranteed two.
    I will rephrase and say the rules, rather than the ISU, gave the US 12 slots based on performance. You understand the assignment rules better than I, so maybe you can clear up a couple questions. Do host countries get extra slots for being a host country? Under what circumstances, if any, are skaters moving from junior to senior internationally guaranteed senior GP slots? I note that JW 4th and 5th place Cesario and Hicks had no assignments (Hicks stayed junior), yet 7th place Miyahara has two senior GP assignments. Radionova of course has two.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judiz View Post
    So the first chance we will have to see Johnny compete will be sectionals in order to qualify for nationals?
    Weir currently is listed in USFS' International Selection Pool: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...=1#post3905467
    This means he could be considered for a Senior B assignment by USFS IF he shows both programs in a club competition this summer to fulfill USFS' "competition readiness"/monitoring requirements (for example, last September he skated both his programs at the Middle Atlantics club comp. in NYC in order to be assigned to Finlandia Trophy).

ETA:
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    Weir did not complete a GP event or compete at any championship, and he doesn't have a SB score from last year. He's 122 on the SB list, the only WS points he has are from last year's 4th at Finlandia, and he used up his one-time "comeback skater" option last season. He hasn't met the GP minimum.
    I think you meant to type "He's 120 on the WS [World Standings] list."
    Last edited by Sylvia; 06-03-2013 at 10:52 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    You're right, but maybe that's why the Fed is trying to give him more chances, because he did show much promise in juniors at the beginning of the season and they hope it will come back.
    Maybe! They are giving him more chances than really anyone!

Quote Originally Posted by hanca View Post
    Why shouldn't they put her in? It may not make sense for you, but I can see the sense. She won everything on the junior level, so why should she be forced to stay there? And the fact that she may knock some eligible girls off the GP podium? Well, then they are not as good anyway and wouldn't deserve to be on podium to start with!
    If radionova medaled and a eligible Russian was 4th than maybe you could say if the eligible Russian had been better they could have been in her position and that would make them work harder.

Page 5 of 42 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast