Page 4 of 42 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mgobluegirl View Post
    Did Zijun Li only get 1? I thought top 12 at worlds were usually guaranteed 2 assignments.
    She'll be at COC and NHK.

vCash
    Why so few Canadians at Skate America?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    She'll be at COC and NHK.
    Ok, good. I had just looked at Sylvia's list and not downloaded the original PDFs, but now I see she was just mistakenly left off the NHK list.

Skating supporter
    Born in Nova Scotia but living in Ottawa, Ontario (Canada's Capital)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Flip Jump View Post
    For an explanation about how assignments are done (and lots of other information), go to: http://www2.isu.org/vsite/vnavsite/p...0.html?id=1327
    Can't skate but love to watch

vCash
    ^^^ Thanks for posting the link - I'll edit it into my post #1. An excerpt:
    In order for a skater/couple to be eligible to compete at a Grand Prix event, a minimum total score or minimum technical score must have been achieved in the previous or current season in an ISU event (Grand Prix, Junior Grand Prix, ISU Championships, World Team Trophy or U.S. International Figure Skating Classic, Nebelhorn Trophy, Ondrej Nepala Trophy, Finlandia Trophy, Coupe de Nice). Exceptions apply to host country skaters, previously ranked skaters or split ranked couples who return with new partners. The minimum score for the 2013/14 season is as follows:
    130.98 points for Ladies
    160.68 points for Men
    135.42 points for Pairs
    113.73 points for Ice Dance
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by misskarne View Post
    I don't think anyone's saying it's totally unfair that Kovtun got two. What's unfair is that he got two and Menshov only got one. If Kovtun got two, Menshov should have got two. Using crap like "oh his shoulder popped out" absolutely does not disguise the fact that Menshov was the vastly superior skater last season and has been royally and completely screwed over.
    Well idk if he was vastly superior, but he was pretty consistent and pretty good last season. And it is too bad he doesn't get 2 assignments, but the GP is just so tight for spots that oftentimes it works out that way. I feel like Brown deserves a second spot and Gosviani deserves at least one, but that's the standard of the GP, so many good skaters get slotted into a very limited number of spots. Also, Menshov could (and probably will) get assigned to COR. Voronov skated well at Nationals last season but was very lackluster otherwise, so I think between the two, Menshov has better odds to get the host pick (unless it goes to Gatchinski, who when he is on his game can easily outshine both of them). Kovtun picked up a lot of points from his JGPs and being 5th at Euros, so that definitely helped his odds, even with the bomb at Worlds and meh showing at WTT.

vCash
    I'm surprised Caroline Zhang got SA.

Tranquillo
    vCash
    I would have liked to see Tran get NHK, but glad he got an invite. I assume he got one as a returning medalist with a new partner, but were they only eligible for one?
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    1 GP assignment for Menshov might be for the best considering his health seems fragile. The way his shoulder popped out of the socket at WTT so easily made me a little scared to be honest. Plus he's 30 years old and a very small guy, I'd rather him not get injured again. Plus with only one spot for the men in Sochi it's pretty clear it will either go to Plushenko if he's healthy or Kovtun if he's not (or maybe Gatchinski if he has a very convincing rebound to the top this fall).

Also Kovtun did not "bomb" Russian Nationals or WTT. He wasn't at his best but I would hardly call his performances at those competitions bombing, at Nationals it just happened that both Voronov and Gatchinski skated pretty well and managed to beat him when they were really the ones who were bombing the rest of the season. Even Kovtun's FS at the Worlds was okay, he really just bombed the SP at Worlds. Plus his score at Euros with the mistake and Zayak just goes to show how high his score could have been if he was totally clean - he could have knocked Brezina off the podium for bronze! His being sent to some competitions was controversial I'll give you that, but I think people need to give Kovtun a break because to his credit he did have a strong season overall, especially the first half, where he beat Han Yan, then the reigning Junior World champ, convincingly at one JGP and beat Josh Farris, who became the new Junior World champ this spring, convincingly at the JGPF. So really, I don't think it's unfair he got 2 GPs at all, especially considering he's from a host country.
    If he skated in seniors like he did in juniors there'd be no problems at all. But it's like two different skaters with kovtun in juniors vs kovtun in seniors.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by caseyedwards View Post
    If he skated in seniors like he did in juniors there'd be no problems at all. But it's like two different skaters with kovtun in juniors vs kovtun in seniors.
    You're right, but maybe that's why the Fed is trying to give him more chances, because he did show much promise in juniors at the beginning of the season and they hope it will come back.

vCash
    Just curious, how many times can a skater be assigned to a competition and then w/d before the skater is no longer considered eligible?

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sk9tingfan View Post
    Let's see:

- What comes out of monitoring during Champs Camp
    - Who gets assigned to one or more Senior B's and how they perform

The plot thickens.
    Usually all but the French Fed, which uses a later internal competition to determine the TBAs (or to choose an alternate from another country), fill in their TBA's at the end of August/beginning of September. If USFS uses those results, it pays to have an early and fast start.

Quote Originally Posted by Flip Jump View Post
    Usually because they're at SC a week later. The ones guaranteed two usually get SC and a later GP. Skate Canada doesn't send its second-ranked skaters to many Senior B's to rack up WS points, and it's done a medicre, at best, job of using its TBA's to force other Feds to assign Canadian skaters to one and then later assigning them to a SC TBA, like Lacoste and Purdy/Marinaro this year, and, instead seem to have different criteria and assign SC as a prize rather than using spots strategically. (Both Takahasi and Tran were assigned to a late non-host event with their new partners as formerly seeded "split couples," but only the Japanese Fed left open a TBA for Takahashi/Kihara).

Skate Canada doesn't appear to be leveraging any clout with USFS: there are three US men assigned to SC, none of whom were guaranteed two, but got two, yet no Canadian men assigned to SA, and similarly with with Gao in Ladies. (SC may have had to assign H/D to their only assignment in Dance, because of the selection sequence, which isn't publicized.) Recently SC threw a spot Ladies TBA spot back into the pool, WTF?

When there are two skaters/teams that Skate Canada doesn't want to go head-to-head at SC, or the skaters are high enough to have their requests granted, like W/P last year and MT/M this year, and they are guaranteed two, then SA usually gets them.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Why oh why does SA waste a Ladies spot again with Zhang just like they did before with Flatt?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post
    The men's fields in general are great, but that one really did jump out to me, assuming at least some of the guys show up in good form. I'm surprised that the tweet made no mention of the fact that one of the two Olympic medals was the American OGM.
    Because a tweet is limited to 140 characters and they only had 4 characters remaining before they reached the limit.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    Why oh why does SA waste a Ladies spot again with Zhang just like they did before with Flatt?
    To get better ratings and attract a bigger crowd I guess. There's still an open spot that could go to Cesario, Czisny, Hicks, or Lam (I'm assuming Miller is doing JGP again because her SB was in the top 24 so if he name had been submitted she would have been given at least 1 spot).

vCash
    The priority for USFS seems to be maximizing spots for American skates. It doesn't need to be Zhang or Flatt. Just give TBA to someone with no guranteed spot and do their best politiks to give two spots to others (who is not their favorite) at overseas.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Maximizing spots with one TBA makes no sense if there are four Ladies who performed better than Zhang. If Hicks, the pewter medalist, is going senior, then not assigning the spot to her outright is

Cesario will be 19 on 1 July 2013. Does that mean she's aged out of Juniors?

Wang and Miller were between Cesario (8) and Zhang (11) at US Nats -- both would have been guaranteed a GP spot had they gone senior from their SB ranking -- but there was a 12-point gap, and Cesario placed consistently in both programs. If Cesario's going senior, then it's a shame she wan't assigned the spot up front. If she's staying Junior, then Zhang was next in line among the seniors.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Cesario is too old to skate as a Junior next season.

vCash
    Cesario cannot stay Junior, she has aged out.

vCash
    As I wrote earlier, I think some of the smaller federation skaters are far unluckier when it comes to getting GPs than lower ranked skaters from host federations. So I'm having a hard time working up much indignation about that. No Misha Ge, however, makes me sad. It would have been nice if he could have gotten CoC.

Quote Originally Posted by dardar1126 View Post
    Because a tweet is limited to 140 characters and they only had 4 characters remaining before they reached the limit.
    That's only because they have no imagination. Here, I fixed it for them, they can even keep the hashtag:
    Men's field at Skate America has 7 nat’l champions, 6 World medalists/3 champions, Olympic gold and bronze medalists #amazing

There's still enough left to mention Lysacek somewhere, or use a shorter exclamation than "amazing" and mention Dai, too. Or maybe this is indeed a sign of things to come?

Page 4 of 42 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast