Page 36 of 42 FirstFirst ... 263435363738 ... LastLast

vCash
    Is Besseghier out of TEB also, or will his sprain be magically healed by then?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hanca View Post
    Interesting this complaint that it is expensive. Senior B are also expensive and they have much more entries in each category!
    Senior GPs are much more expensive than senior B events because the organizers have to pay travel and hotel costs for competitors and the judges. If they cut one participant they could save several thousand dollars. That is very reasonable considering that such (minor) skaters would not contribute anything for ticket sales or TV ratings.

vCash
    As far as I understand, skaters/federation pay for their own expenses to go to Senior Bs, but for Grand Prix the host country has to pay for all the travel expenses and lodging, thus expensive for the host country. It shouldn't be a problem for Japan, China and Russia, but it does seem a problem for the other three countries. For example, I assume France won't let Besseghier withdraw in time so that they can avoid flying a skater in....I'm fine with 8/10, even 8/8, but I hope they could have a definitive alternate list and let those skaters be prepared. It's actually quite exhausting to watch 8 hours of skating straight for casual fans in the arena and can be a turndown even. Grand Prix is not worlds. The promotion machine doesn't generate enough momentum to make it sustainable, except perhaps in Japan.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NMURA View Post
    Senior GPs are much more expensive than senior B events because the organizers have to pay travel and hotel costs for competitors and the judges. If they cut one participant they could save several thousand dollars. That is very reasonable considering that such (minor) skaters would not contribute anything for ticket sales or TV ratings.
    I am aware that the organisers of GP events have to pay travel and hotel costs. However, some of the skaters who don't make the GP events will do senior B competitions anyway to get the points somewhere (and either the skaters or their Federations will pay for it). So if ISU got back to the 12/10 spots and made the last (lowest) 2 spots that the skaters or their Federation will pay for it, I am sure some skaters would still want to take it. So to be specific, let's say, distribute the 10 spots as it had been until now. Then create additional 2 places per event (= 12 more spots in total); check who is the top 12 candidates from the substitute list and offer each of them one GP event - make it according to the distance so that US skater doesn't have to travel (and pay for travelling) to China when he/she can attend to Skate Amerika or Skate Canada. That way you have win-win situation. You have 12 skaters per singles events (10 per pairs and dance) and the host countries won't have any bigger costs. Yes, a few skaters and their Federations will end up paying, but they would pay for attending B event and I am sure they would prefer to attend GP. It helps to 'put foot in the door' and maybe that would enable them next year move up the ranks and getting the spot free.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by euterpe View Post
    He posted on his facebook account that he's also out of TEB. Wonder if they'll bother with a replacement there.

vCash
    Never mind - I misread the table.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayar View Post
    Every year people complain about withdrawals. This season is no different.
    It is different in that I don't remember having a situation like Ge's before. I guess it only confirmed what was pretty obvious all along.

Quote Originally Posted by euterpe View Post
    The French Fed will just wait until 2 days before the event to officially announce it.

(Given Besseghier actually posted that he's withdrawn on his Facebook, if ISU really allows this kind of crap to be pulled then )

IYes, a few skaters and their Federations will end up paying, but they would pay for attending B event and I am sure they would prefer to attend GP. It helps to 'put foot in the door' and maybe that would enable them next year move up the ranks and getting the spot free.
    I think that ISU couldn't care less about this.
    Last edited by Ziggy; 11-05-2013 at 10:11 PM.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Lenaelle Gilleron-Gorry's name was crossed out from the TEB ladies' entries in today's update: http://isu.sportcentric.net/db//files/serve.php?id=4900
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Lenaelle Gilleron-Gorry's name was crossed out from the TEB ladies' entries in today's update: http://isu.sportcentric.net/db//files/serve.php?id=4900
    She was a host pick, right? So perhaps they will put Candice Didier in instead, she has skated much better than Lenaelle so far this season. (I would wish for Ventard, but I'm sure that is impossible with the federation's politics...)

vCash
    To be honest, I feel it is hardly worth the expense to attend a Grand Prix event. Even for SC it will cost a minimum of $1000 unless it is in Victoria. For that I will see 6-8 skaters in each discipline, half of whom are chosen because they are no competitin for the home team skaters. So in reality the competition is betweeen 3-4 skaters. Evenn those who are nominated when the tickets go on sale, and are the attraction, may not arrive on the day.

I would rather go to Nationals, or save up for a big splurge at Worlds. Now thats a party!

vCash
    I absolutely agree. I don't bother with attending a GP even if you can attend for a similar price Europeans.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    We're in the 8-13 day period before the TEB Team Leaders Meeting in which there are no rules about substitutes, so it might not have made any difference had the French Fed announced the withdrawals two days ago or waits until Wednesday.
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

vCash
    The fan base is getting older, ISU is just thinking of us, in having smaller groups it will be less time to wait to go to the bathroom.

vCash
    I couldn't believe some of the events were less than 1 hour. That's not even worth waking up to watch.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave of the North View Post
    The fan base is getting older, ISU is just thinking of us, in having smaller groups it will be less time to wait to go to the bathroom.

As one of the older fans, may I suggest it's because they know the young and even middle aged of today have shorter attention spans.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave of the North View Post
    If you have such a problem, I suggest you get a commode and you will last even through 3 hours event!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by morqet View Post
    She was a host pick, right? So perhaps they will put Candice Didier in instead, she has skated much better than Lenaelle so far this season. (I would wish for Ventard, but I'm sure that is impossible with the federation's politics...)
    Knowing French Federation's politics, neither Ventard, nor Didier will get that spot.

Of course they waited this long to announce it so they don't have to field a replacement even though they've known full well for a while now that Gilleron-Gory is in poor shape.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    The Ladies spot they could have reassigned weeks ago.
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    I think that ISU couldn't care less about this.
    I think you are right. I don't believe that the cost to the host federation was the reason for reducing the numbers of participants. I don't think that ISU would care about cost if ISU doesn't have to pay it themselves.

vCash
    I think you are right. I don't believe that the cost to the host federation was the reason for reducing the numbers of participants. I don't think that ISU would care about cost if ISU doesn't have to pay it themselves.
    Oh, well. Maybe after people stop attending the GP events, they may realise that they need to get back to the drawing board. Or maybe they will have an excuse for cancelling them completely. So much for supporting development in skating! :

Page 36 of 42 FirstFirst ... 263435363738 ... LastLast