Page 34 of 42 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Is it true that Denis Ten withdrew from Cup of China?

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jun Y View Post
    Is it true that Denis Ten withdrew from Cup of China?
    He's listed in the SP start order as of today.

ETA: But if you read the latest news posted in his thread, it wouldn't be a surprise if he ends up withdrawing: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...=1#post4031043
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    He's listed in the SP start order as of today.

ETA: But if you read the latest news posted in his thread, it wouldn't be a surprise if he ends up withdrawing: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...=1#post4031043
    Thanks. I heard rumors that he was not doing well in practice and has since withdrawn. I hope he gets well soon.

vCash
    The visa issues are very understandable. It's unlikely for him to just get a tourist visa to compete. I don't know if it's allowed by ISU for skaters to travel to competitions on a tourist visa, but even then, he would need to show the foreign consulates proof of income and/or enough savings, which I'm not sure he has under his own name. But then, if you apply for a business/sports visa, you would need all the paperwork from the federation, invitation, lodging info, insurance etc. It's never easy to get a visa. Usually in China you pay agencies to deal with the paperwork for you, but I doubt those people know how to process a UZB passport. I once tried to get a German student visa in New York City as a Chinese citizen. It took me two months, a few hundred dollars and two rounds of flight rescheduling.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Re-posting from the Denis Ten thread in GSD: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...=1#post4036618
    Quote Originally Posted by Eislauffan View Post
    I don't think he'll withdraw. He wanted to come to Cup of China so badly and today in practice [Thursday] he looked better than I expected after what he's been through. He landed a nice 4T and also 3A. I love his "Hooligan" (although Denis' personality is far from being a hooligan, he is such an intellegent, well-educated young man). :-)
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by analia View Post
    The visa issues are very understandable. It's unlikely for him to just get a tourist visa to compete. I don't know if it's allowed by ISU for skaters to travel to competitions on a tourist visa, but even then, he would need to show the foreign consulates proof of income and/or enough savings, which I'm not sure he has under his own name. But then, if you apply for a business/sports visa, you would need all the paperwork from the federation, invitation, lodging info, insurance etc. It's never easy to get a visa. Usually in China you pay agencies to deal with the paperwork for you, but I doubt those people know how to process a UZB passport. I once tried to get a German student visa in New York City as a Chinese citizen. It took me two months, a few hundred dollars and two rounds of flight rescheduling.
    Could he not travel under his Chinese passport? It seems to me that might make things easier considering he is living in China. Lots of skaters travel under a passport that is not the same as the country they represent. It is really too bad that he is unable to compete because of paperwork.
    A good rant is cathartic. Ranting is what keeps me sane. They always come from a different place. Take the prime minister, for example. Sometimes when I rant about him, I am angry; other times, I am just severely annoyed - it's an important distinction. - Rick Mercer

vCash
    Misha Ge just tweeted some pictures of the rink, apparently he actually trains in the same rink the competition is being held but won't compete

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SamuraiK View Post
    Misha Ge just tweeted some pictures of the rink, apparently he actually trains in the same rink the competition is being held but won't compete
    That is just horrible.

vCash
    That's a shame that the chinese fed don't invite him, he must be heartbroken

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mag View Post
    Could he not travel under his Chinese passport? It seems to me that might make things easier considering he is living in China. Lots of skaters travel under a passport that is not the same as the country they represent. It is really too bad that he is unable to compete because of paperwork.
    Even a Chinese passport is going to present issues going to many places. Especially if he does not have strong government backing pushing the paperwork. For Cup of Nice, it sounded like he just did not have enough time to get the visas.

But it seems like skating at Cup of China or Rostelcom (doesn't he have Russian citizenship too? Maybe I made that up) could have been possible. I know it was very last minute, but I feel like the Chinese Fed dropped the ball. Maybe they don't know how popular he is and didn't think it mattered.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Re-posting from the Denis Ten thread in GSD: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...=1#post4036618
    I am relieved to hear that. Glad he's better.

vCash

vCash
    What a debacle.

vCash
    Ge replied to one of my tweets and said it was an ISU decision, not China's Federation as the LOC.

Briber of judges
    vCash
    Which only goes to show how incompetent the ISU is in supporting skaters!
    I meant to take the high road.... but I missed the exit.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    Ge replied to one of my tweets and said it was an ISU decision, not China's Federation as the LOC.
    Well done ISU, denying a skater who was already there and could compete at no extra cost, the opportunity.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Well done ISU, denying a skater who was already there and could compete at no extra cost, the opportunity.
    I wonder if the ISU even bothered to find out where Ge trains? It seems to me there cannot be a rationale for this decision other than they couldn't be bothered to put any energy into it so they just said no. Very sad, but very telling.
    A good rant is cathartic. Ranting is what keeps me sane. They always come from a different place. Take the prime minister, for example. Sometimes when I rant about him, I am angry; other times, I am just severely annoyed - it's an important distinction. - Rick Mercer

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    If the Chinese Fed actually went to the ISU and asked if they could offer the spot to Ge, presumably they mentined this. The ISU wouldn't know Ge was in China from his bio, which hasn't been updated since last season and lists him training in California:
    http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00013128.htm

However, this could be face-saving on the part of the Chinese Fed: the ISU may have sent pro-forma notice at the seven-day mark and the Chinese Fed may be calling this an ISU decision, , or the Chinese Fed may have asked for a "no sub" ruling at the seven-day mark and got it, but then reconsidered, and got a "too late." There's nothing in the GP Announcement that forbids a substitution at the 7-day mark or later. We don't know who did what and when, just that there's an explanation from Ge that's serving at least one purpose.
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

Title-less
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    If the Chinese Fed actually went to the ISU and asked if they could offer the spot to Ge, presumably they mentined this. The ISU wouldn't know Ge was in China from his bio, which hasn't been updated since last season and lists him training in California:
    http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00013128.htm

However, this could be face-saving on the part of the Chinese Fed: the ISU may have sent pro-forma notice at the seven-day mark and the Chinese Fed may be calling this an ISU decision, , or the Chinese Fed may have asked for a "no sub" ruling at the seven-day mark and got it, but then reconsidered, and got a "too late." There's nothing in the GP Announcement that forbids a substitution at the 7-day mark or later. We don't know who did what and when, just that there's an explanation from Ge that's serving at least one purpose.
    Yup. we don't know what happened. Misha has lived in China on and off, and yet he has chosen to represent another country. Maybe there's a bit of "why should I help you?" Or maybe the Chinese fed don't want yet another skater to beat Wang yi. Or maybe ISU dropped the ball. Who knows.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    According to Ge's tweets, he did get to choreograph part of the CoC finale:

In reverse chronological order:

https://twitter.com/Sk8Prince/status/396908212009463808
    Katya Bobrova was like "the hip and boby moves you did for ladies Finale gala of CoC we cant even do that good and crazy as you"

Did he mean "body" or "booby"?

https://twitter.com/Sk8Prince/status/396892456643358720
    I've asked Carolina (Kostner)"What do you think of Choreo i did for finale of CoC,do you like it?"She: i like it ! You a Star!" (Thank You!)

https://twitter.com/Sk8Prince/status/396891579375312896
    I meet Carolina (Kostner) right after gala practice,soon as she see me she start dance the part that i choreo for finale of CoC Gala

https://twitter.com/Sk8Prince/status/396701145277534208
    So tomorrow CoC Finally on GALA will be Chinese Choreo and Mine Choreography + Video Tutorial for All 4 categories skaters by Misha Ge

https://twitter.com/Sk8Prince/status/396701531870748674
    I want to do much more things in Finally for everyone but he said cause there only one hour to practice for everyone need to it more simple

https://twitter.com/Sk8Prince/status/396700696428302336
    News:i was happy to work with one famous Chinese Choreo another day. He ask me to help him to Choreo Finally for CoC GALA. #Surprise
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

Page 34 of 42 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 ... LastLast