Page 33 of 42 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 ... LastLast
    I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Eislauffan View Post
    Yes, I know. I thought that they don't invite him, because he is too strong now and could beat Florent Amodio if he skates well again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Domshabfan View Post
    Politics , Verner's win really makes him a treat for the title and hurt french interests, but it is still sad.
    Verner isn't eligible for a selection. Winners of a few early season Senior B's, like Coupe de Nice, go to the *bottom* of the alternates list, and except in Pairs, it's highly unlikely that there will be enough withdrawals for them to get a selection. Even for Pairs, last year Scimeca/Knierem got an NHK replacement as the only eligible pair on the Pairs alternates list, while this year, because of the new GP TES minimums, Donlan/Speroff's win at Nepala got them the GP TES FS minimum, but didn't move them over higher-ranked PB couples that didn't meet the GP total minimum, but did the GP TES minimums. Under last year's rules, they'd be in the Top Five now.

The scores they earn at the Senior B's only rank them among other winners at the bottom of the list, at least the way the announcement is written. The only scores that used to rank skaters among those on the PB list are split couples and comeback skaters, but they have to use scores earned at the same type of competitions (JGP/GP, championships, Olympics, WTT, etc.) that the skaters on the PB earned, not Senior B's (except the Olympic qualifier the season after the Olympics).

Verner is currently No. 37 on the PB list and, after Majorov's appointment and Balde moving into the Top Five, is second on the list to slot into the Top Five, after Zhan Bush. It's likely too late for that now, but his placement on the PB list puts him much higher on the alternates list than his Coupe de Nice win.

ETA: The new Top Five for Men is now:

23-Menshov (NHK)
    25-Voronov (NHK)
    27-Rogozine (SC)
    31-Ge (none)
    34-Balde (SC)

With Menshov and Voronov competing at NHK, any withdrawal from the last three events is either one they are at, one that is back-to-back (Toyko to Paris), or one where there are already three Russian men. I suspect they only would be considered for a host withdrawal at RC. According to Wikipedia, Uzbeki citizens do not need visas to travel to Russia, and if Reynolds doesn't get his visa issues sorted or Gailhauguet pulls Joubert's second GP, maybe Ge will get a RC replacement spot, although the Russian Fed could choose Moscow-born and I believe Russian-speaker not to mention Balde.

For NHK or TEB, it would probably be Rogozine or Balde
    Last edited by kwanfan1818; 10-30-2013 at 05:22 PM.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    If Misha Ge is still in China, he'd be either in Beijing already (likely) or in the Harbin area (possible), from which he could get to Beijing asap. In other words, logistics isn't an issue and neither is the visa bit. So the only impediments are 1) Chinese Federation being on the ball and asking him even though it's last minute and 2) His willingness to participate.

vCash
    Fixed the link:
    Quote Originally Posted by Fort View Post
    The Skate Canada statement gives the reason as skate issues, lost training time, but no mention of injury.
    http://skatecanada.ca/AboutUs/NewsDe...S/Default.aspx
    "The two-time Canadian silver medalist has been struggling with issues with his skates since the start of this season. Without being able to resolve the problems and get the skating boots to fit properly, he has missed training time, and is unable to compete for Canada in men’s at this event."

Misha Ge tweeted this Instagram video of him spinning (I see Chinese on the rink boards): http://instagram.com/p/gFZNy9nH91/
    He's based in Beijing.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Eislauffan View Post
    Yes, I know. I thought that they don't invite him, because he is too strong now and could beat Florent Amodio if he skates well again.
    They could NOT invite him. Verner wasn't in the top 5 of alternates list to choose from according to the rules. Verner has only himself to blame for dropping out of the Grand Prix after so many years on the elite level.

vCash
    If Misha Ge is going to continue past Sochi, at this rate he should seriously consider relocating his training for the sake of actually being able to compete. Unless it's the Fed/country representation that's the problem?

And yes, it's frustrating how many late withdrawals there are this season. They have the right of course, but it's unfortunate.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lara View Post
    If Misha Ge is going to continue past Sochi, at this rate he should seriously consider relocating his training for the sake of actually being able to compete. Unless it's the Fed/country representation that's the problem?
    I would imagine the issue is the country he represents, as he needs visas to go basically everywhere and can't just get applications rubber stamped easily. Ge is not the first Uzbekistani skater to run into difficulties - in 2012, the ice dancers were held up with visa issues before Worlds and arrived at the rink about ten minutes before they were to take the ice for the preliminary round (IIRC, Ge was live-tweeting from the stands and was thrilled when they made it in time).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    Argh, too late to get Ge into the only event for which he doesn't need a visa.
    Quote Originally Posted by barbk View Post
    Just because he lives there doesn't mean he doesn't need a visa to compete, right?
    I am not certain of this, but I think that Misha Ge is a citizen of both Russia (where he was born) and China (where he grew up and competed at the National level) as well as Uzbekistan.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    If he has Russian and Chinese passports, then I don't know why it's so hard for him to get visas as it has been, unless countries are using the strictest rules for all three passports. According to his tweets, he's had to stress and sweat out the ones he's gotten and scratch from events where he can't.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    If he has Russian and Chinese passports, then I don't know why it's so hard for him to get visas as it has been, unless countries are using the strictest rules for all three passports. According to his tweets, he's had to stress and sweat out the ones he's gotten and scratch from events where he can't.
    There must be more to it. Russian and Chinese skaters don't seem to have a problem.
    A good rant is cathartic. Ranting is what keeps me sane. They always come from a different place. Take the prime minister, for example. Sometimes when I rant about him, I am angry; other times, I am just severely annoyed - it's an important distinction. - Rick Mercer

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mag View Post
    There must be more to it. Russian and Chinese skaters don't seem to have a problem.
    I think they're only taking his Uzbekistan passport into consideration.

vCash
    Given the Ge is based in Beijing, Chinese Fed really could have invited him. It wouldn't cost them anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Lara View Post
    His parents work as figure skating coaches in China and so does he.

I think they're only taking his Uzbekistan passport into consideration.
    Given he's representing Uzbekistan, that's probably the case.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mag View Post
    Russian and Chinese skaters also likely have people at the federation who help them with the bureaucratic process. I don't know how much support the Uzbeki federation gives Ge, or if he is kind of on his own arranging these things.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    From his tweets, he's responsible for managing the process.

I don't think, for example, that Allison Reed's visas were processed based on her Georgian passport when she also held a Georgian passport although if they were, the Georgian Fed got her a passport for Vancouver so they have something going for them, while Uzbekistan Fed hasn't been helpful to Ge.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    I don't know how much support the Uzbeki federation gives Ge, or if he is kind of on his own arranging these things.
    I just bumped up the Misha Ge thread with recent news about Ge's visa challenges: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...=1#post4036270
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash

I don't think, for example, that Allison Reed's visas were processed based on her Georgian passport when she also held a Georgian passport although if they were, the Georgian Fed got her a passport for Vancouver so they have something going for them, while Uzbekistan Fed hasn't been helpful to Ge.
    My guess is that Uzbekistani Federation exists only on paper. ;P

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    No, it's just a room full of monkeys on typewriters.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Until it's time to show up at the Olympics. Then, my guess is that they'd suddenly materialize.

vCash

But even if it's on his Chinese or Russian passport, getting the visas to many countries as a private citizen can be a pain and take too long.
    With exceptions, Allison's process as an American would be easier.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Fort View Post
    The Skate Canada statement gives the reason as skate issues, lost training time, but no mention of injury.
    http://skatecanada.ca/AboutUs/NewsDe...tabid/2157/sni[2797]/2994/language/en-US/Default.aspx
    Thank you for the information. Shame he had boot/skate issues that limited his training time. However, it's better to know that the reason was not due to his injury. He withdrew from Japan Open for the reason of his injury on his knee. Hope he has recovered fully

vCash
    -3 GOE to the ISU and the Chinese Fed. It wouldn't have cost them anything to invite Ge and it's not like he'd be a threat to anybody either.

Page 33 of 42 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 ... LastLast