Page 3 of 42 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

being infected by Radionova's obvious joy for skating
    vCash
    Hopefully the French TBA dance spot for TEB will go to Papadakis/Cizeron.
    Rockin' Finnish commentator: "And that was supposed to be a flip but it turned out to be a flop."

vCash
    I suspect Hanyu has chosen Canada and France. He can compete all six coutries and gain confidences if he could beat him twice.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rayhaneh View Post
    I think the issue was that the JSF didn't want to risk a situation like last season when they had their two best skaters potentially risking to knock each other out of GPF, so getting Takahashi and Hanyu BOTH was out. To be honest I half-expected them to take Hanyu over Takahashi, but I'm guessing financial interests prevailed: Takahashi draws in a crowd that's more likely to have the money to splash out on very expensive tickets than Hanyu at this point. Plus it's Takahashi's last season so that might have come into play
    Makes perfect sense. Hanyu will be in competition for a long more time, and he's likely to be the one to beat with the veterans retiring post Sochi.
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by misskarne View Post
    Josh got two! Jason got one!

So annoyed that the USFSA wasted a GP spot on Lysacek. We all know he won't skate at SkAm, ESPECIALLY if he has to go against Max.
    I doubt Evan will skate, too. Just out too long, too injured. Nothing to do with Max. Unless he is miraculously free of injury, I don't see him coming back.

: of Alissa. Hoping she can get the TBA at Skate America, or maybe the Utah senior B (if they have it) or Nebelhorn?

Also REALLY hoping I can go to SA to see Kozuka (among others).
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    So really, I don't think it's unfair he got 2 GPs at all, especially considering he's from a host country.
    I don't think anyone's saying it's totally unfair that Kovtun got two. What's unfair is that he got two and Menshov only got one. If Kovtun got two, Menshov should have got two. Using crap like "oh his shoulder popped out" absolutely does not disguise the fact that Menshov was the vastly superior skater last season and has been royally and completely screwed over.

Quote Originally Posted by dariko View Post
    Evan's skating level is a huge question mark and yes it's completely fair to put Max Aaron ahead of Evan right now. But misskarne seems to think Evan will not show up to compete because he's afraid of Max Aaron and that was a head scratcher to me.
    Not necessarily that Lysacek is afraid of Aaron, he just won't want all his posturing and pretensions to an Olympic spot to go to waste when he is smashed to pieces by Aaron and whoever the other American man is at SkAm.

At least they didn't waste any spots on Weir this year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zebobes View Post
    On the USA side, Adam Rippon and Jason Brown both have one spot only, neither of whom are assigned to Skate America, where there is one TBA. Will one of them get it?
    Let's see:

- What comes out of monitoring during Champs Camp
    - Who gets assigned to one or more Senior B's and how they perform

The plot thickens.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rayhaneh View Post
    Wow, I am still not over the depth of the men's field at NHK - this is going to be a bloodbath (or a splatfest of epic proportions given the amount of tension there might be there)
    IMO, the GP event to attend is NHK. What a field overall! Jealous of my Japanese friends who get to go!

vCash
    I don't think anyone's saying it's totally unfair that Kovtun got two. What's unfair is that he got two and Menshov only got one. If Kovtun got two, Menshov should have got two. Using crap like "oh his shoulder popped out" absolutely does not disguise the fact that Menshov was the vastly superior skater last season and has been royally and completely screwed over.
    No he hasn't been screwed over. He was entitled to 1 spot, he got 1 spot. There is still a host pick available at CoR. He will be near the top of the subs list thanks to his World Ranking & SB score. (I'd also dispute that Menshov was the "vastly superior skater" considering that Kovtun has a higher SB...)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Too bad a 2nd at Junior Worlds (Brown) does not trump a 5th at 4CCs (Dornbush). I guess Lysacek, Brown, Rippon and Johnson will be sent to fall internationals as well, and the last three will battle out for the last TBA spot at Skate America. it's a bummer that Johnson does not already have a GP. Didn't he medal at that competition after Nationals and beat Joubert in the free at Challenge Cup?
    Yes. So I'm hoping that TBA at Skate America is his.

vCash
    Twitter:

U.S. Figure Skating ‏@USFigureSkating 7m
    The men's field at Skate America features 7 national champions, 6 World medalists, 3 World champions and two Olympic medalists. #amazing

Canadian ladies über
    vCash
    Canada better use the TBA in ladies! I'm surprised Lacoste got Skate Canada since she was guaranteed a spot by her world standing. I was so hoping for Chartrand and Daleman be on the senior grand prix en route to battling for the second Olympic spot....

In pairs I wonder why NHK has a TBA for Japan yet Takahashi/Kihara are assigned to Rostelcom. Why wouldn't Japan have given them NHK too up front?

vCash
    The lineup for Skate Canada looks fantastic. Can't wait to go!

Re: TBA Ladies. Skate Canada so wants that spot to be filled by Joannie.

ETA: I didn't realize Brubaker found a partner. Where have I been?

vCash
    Looking at the men's side, it stands out to me how SA and SC (and NHK of course) are packed with 3 Japanese skaters, while China, France, and Russia only get one, and shows how much the Japanese men alone can affect the depth of the events nowadays.

For example, Abbott and Miner are in the same boat at SC competing in a field that has 3 strong Japanese skaters, but Miner has a much better shot at making the podium in France than Abbott does at NHK. (which as someone posted above, could be a bloodbath)

vCash
    Mind you, SC could be argued to be a Team Japan battering ram vs a Team USA battering ram. Hanyu, Mura and Oda vs Abbott, Miner and Farris. Not too shabby a lineup on either side.

Throw in Chan and you've got a titanic struggle.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dardar1126 View Post
    Twitter:
    U.S. Figure Skating ‏@USFigureSkating 7m
    The men's field at Skate America features 7 national champions, 6 World medalists, 3 World champions and two Olympic medalists. #amazing
    The men's fields in general are great, but that one really did jump out to me, assuming at least some of the guys show up in good form. I'm surprised that the tweet made no mention of the fact that one of the two Olympic medals was the American OGM.

Quote Originally Posted by casken View Post
    Looking at the men's side, it stands out to me how SA and SC (and NHK of course) are packed with 3 Japanese skaters, while China, France, and Russia only get one, and shows how much the Japanese men alone can affect the depth of the events nowadays.
    France never had a deep men's field; at best it was four guys, with Joubert (later joined by Amodio) usually well ahead of the rest. I wonder if that TEB TBA will be for Chafik Besseghier? Or maybe they will just let it go to another country in typical FFSG style.

Mind you, SC could be argued to be a Team Japan battering ram vs a Team USA battering ram. Hanyu, Mura and Oda vs Abbott, Miner and Farris. Not too shabby a lineup on either side.
    The Japanese lineup > the US lineup. That said, SC is shaping up to be one of the best GPs this coming season, if not the best.

What jumps out at me is how unfair the process is to skaters from outside the host federations, as they have to earn whatever spots they get while host federations can invite/trade invites to ensure even their second string skaters have assignments.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by danafan View Post
    Canada better use the TBA in ladies! I'm surprised Lacoste got Skate Canada since she was guaranteed a spot by her world standing. I was so hoping for Chartrand and Daleman be on the senior grand prix en route to battling for the second Olympic spot....
    I wonder if Skate Canada was hoping that one of them (at least Daleman) would get an invite to another GP and was holding the TBA for whoever that was. Without an invite somewhere else, it makes the decision of junior vs. senior GP a bit more difficult, basically putting Daleman and Chartrand in the same position as Osmond last year. Doing one GP and a Senior B worked out OK for Osmond last year...although with Yuna at Skate Canada, I don't see Daleman or Chartrand having quite the same level of success that Osmond did It's really a tough call...basically the option for one of them is to go senior and get very few ISU points but at least get the exposure or do the JGP and hopefully some decent ISU points, but potentially have the Olympics as a first ever senior competition (Daleman at WTT aside). JGP plus Senior B could be another option assuming scheduling doesn't conflict, but still not great.

And yeah, very poor strategizing by SC by picking Amelie for SC. They could have left the spot TBA and either invited Amelie after she got her other assignment (thus guaranteeing two for Amelie) or used it to get both Chartrand and Daleman out on the senior GP.

vCash
    Surprised Czisny didn't get assigned to SA, especially given it's in Detroit where she lives & trains. Presumably she'll be doing some summer competitions, such as Skate Detroit, to help make the case for USFS to assign her the remaining open slot at SA (unless she specially asked not to be assigned to the GP this season).

vCash
    Thanks Sylvia. For NHK, Zijun LI should be added to the list in the first post.

vCash
    Did Zijun Li only get 1? I thought top 12 at worlds were usually guaranteed 2 assignments.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by b-man View Post
    For NHK, Zijun LI should be added to the list in the first post.
    Thanks. Oops. Done!
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

Page 3 of 42 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast