Page 25 of 42 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast
    I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    According to the GP Announcement, the only thing the Internationals' winners' scores are used.is to rank the winners off the internationals. The only non-ISU scores considered as PB's are Nebelhorn. I'd have to check when I get home to see if a PB earned at Nebelhorn carries over to a split couple next season.
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    But Imai would still be a much more logical choice, especially considering geography.

Imai trains in Detroit, no?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mgobluegirl View Post
    Oh, really? This I did not know ...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mgobluegirl View Post
    I think she's been training back in Japan since this summer.
    "You'll find that life is still worthwhile. If you'll just Smile."  --by john turner and geoffrey parsons

vCash
    oops double post
    "You'll find that life is still worthwhile. If you'll just Smile."  --by john turner and geoffrey parsons

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    I just checked the GP announcement, and the returning split couples -- split couples (1-6) aren't listed explicitly -- inherit the SB from the previous partnership to be ranked (in the SB list is implied), and there's no explicit exclusion of Nebelhorn scores, which wouldn't be relevant this year anyway, except to rank more than one winner of the internationals. However, next year, when Nebelhorn scores are relevant, the ISU might add a restriction.

With Denney/Frazier getting a spot at SC, the alternates list for Pairs is now:

• Purich/Tran (whom I left off the last list ) -- Top of list based on T/T's 2012 WC score
    • 18-Martushieva/Rogonov (CoC)
    • 28-Prolss/Blommaert (none)
    • 29-Zhang/Wang (none) -- unless injured, in which case Vartmann/Van Cleave (SC) are the 5th
    • 32-Della Monica/Guarise (TEB)

The Team Leaders Meeting for Skate America is scheduled for Thursday, 17 October. Since it's seven days or less before the Team Leaders' Meeting, if someone withdraws between now and the start of competition, "consideration will be given by the ISU Grand Prix Coordination Group to leaving a position vacant because of visa requirements or unduly high travel costs that would be incurred by the Organizing Member.

I can't find the Team Leaders Meeting date for Skate Canada, but I'm assuming it's on the first day of official practices on Thursday, 24 October. Until next Thursday, 17 October, we are in the undefined period between "mandatory" replacements up to 14 days before the Team Leaders Meeting, i.e., up to 10 October, and from 17 October, "consideration blah, blah, blah."

For Cup of China, where I'm also assuming the Leaders Meeting is the day before the competition, which is 31 October, we're still in the mandatory replacement period until 17 October, the undefined period runs from 18-23 October, and from 24 October, "consideration, etc."
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    I just checked the GP announcement, and the returning split couples -- split couples (1-6) aren't listed explicitly -- inherit the SB from the previous partnership to be ranked (in the SB list is implied), and there's no explicit exclusion of Nebelhorn scores, which wouldn't be relevant this year anyway, except to rank more than one winner of the internationals. However, next year, when Nebelhorn scores are relevant, the ISU might add a restriction.

With Denney/Frazier getting a spot at SC, the alternates list for Pairs is now:

• Purich/Tran (whom I left off the last list ) -- Top of list based on T/T's 2012 WC score
    • 18-Martushieva/Rogonov (CoC)
    • 28-Prolss/Blommaert (none)
    • 29-Zhang/Wang (none) -- unless injured, in which case Vartmann/Van Cleave (SC) are the 5th
    • 32-Della Monica/Guarise (TEB)

The Team Leaders Meeting for Skate America is scheduled for Thursday, 17 October. Since it's seven days or less before the Team Leaders' Meeting, if someone withdraws between now and the start of competition, "consideration will be given by the ISU Grand Prix Coordination Group to leaving a position vacant because of visa requirements or unduly high travel costs that would be incurred by the Organizing Member.

I can't find the Team Leaders Meeting date for Skate Canada, but I'm assuming it's on the first day of official practices on Thursday, 24 October. Until next Thursday, 17 October, we are in the undefined period between "mandatory" replacements up to 14 days before the Team Leaders Meeting, i.e., up to 10 October, and from 17 October, "consideration blah, blah, blah."

For Cup of China, where I'm also assuming the Leaders Meeting is the day before the competition, which is 31 October, we're still in the mandatory replacement period until 17 October, the undefined period runs from 18-23 October, and from 24 October, "consideration, etc."
    Thanks, Kwanfan. I always read your posts w/ interest. I learn a lot of the nuts and bolts of the selection process and they answer some of my questions.

This should answer the question in another thread re D/S

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Re-posting the following exchange from the U.S. Pairs thread because I assume jlmart is referring to Kavaguti/Smirnov and Pang/Tong Purich/Tran ().
    The hosts do make the choices, but they may have conversations/deals with the other hosts.

Kayne/O'Shea only qualify for a host pick, and USFS had other priorities. Unless they place high enough to earn a spot at championships and earn a PB high enough to be guaranteed one on their own or be high enough to be eligible from the alternates list, they will be at the mercy of USFS selection policy. It's a good thing that in this Olympic year, USFS has decided that the Olympic team will not go to 4C's, which leaves three spots open for lower-ranked skaters at championships.

Winners of the early listed Senior B's go to the bottom of the alternates list; if winning Nepala were D/S's only claim, they'd be eight-ten Pairs -- and up to 18 selections -- away from being eligible for moving into the Top Five, which doesn't guarantee a selection. For example, there have been three substitutions so far, with K/S's TEB spot still TBA, and Martiusheva/Rogonov -- the highest ranked (PB 18) and the only team besides Denney/Frazier in the Top 24 SB in the Top Five, and eligible for selection to sub for K/S -- are still waiting. Donlan/Speroff, by virtue of having made the GP TES minimum for SP at Nepala, combined with their SB #36, are three or four couples -- or up to six selections -- away from being in the Top Five and eligible for an invitation.

Like last year, the split couples only are in the Top Five and don't, like in 2011-12, get picked first for a second GP before anyone on the PB list, unless choosing them breaks a rule (already there, crazy travel, visa issues, too many from the country, etc.). So far this year, Purdy/Marinaro got a second before any split couple, and Purich/Tran are still waiting. They didn't qualify for either of K/S's picks -- they're at TEB already and Canada already has three at SC -- but they could have been chosen for SA ahead of P/M.

Just because a skater was in one partnership doesn't automatically mean the new partnership is GP caliber automatically, but sometimes they are, and the ISU is assuming they'll quickly get up to speed or won't -- in which case they'll be low on the SB list -- and will be dropped nationally. Purich/Tran's score at Nebelhorn was within 4.04 points of Donlan/Speroff's at Ondrej Nepala, and P/T skated in a larger field at Nebelhorn, with V/T skating, and Nebelhorn was more highly visible as an Olympic qualifier. If D/S are GP caliber -- and they didn't even make the GP Total Minimum at their ISU event last season -- then so are P/T, a split couple, and they look competitive for the third Olympic spot in Canada.
    Quote Originally Posted by jlmart View Post
    Weren't K/S for NHK not TEB? Which would make P/T eligible if they wanted to make the fast hop?
    Yes, K/S' second GP was NHK Trophy (typo by kwanfan1818). P/T = Purich/Tran and not Pang/Tong as I first thought.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 10-12-2013 at 06:18 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    I just can't get used to NHK being in column #4, argh! Yes, Purich/Tran could be assigned to NHK and TEB. I don't know if 11-12 nonstop hours is a fast hop though, and that is a lot of time zones to adjust to over two weeks time, although travelling westward is much better for 80% of people, and they'd be doing a westward circle around the world. Even if teams skip GPF, I don't think P/T are likely to be in the running as alternates, so they would have over a month before Nationals after Paris.
    Last edited by kwanfan1818; 10-12-2013 at 07:10 PM.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Re-posting from the Skate America forum:
    Quote Originally Posted by care bear View Post
    http://www.isuresults.com/events/cat00028019.htm
    Is Joubert out of "Skate America"?
    The updated entries list above is dated Oct. 14 so it looks like yes.

The current Men's PDF hasn't been updated on the ISU site since Oct. 1: http://isu.sportcentric.net/db//files/serve.php?id=4769

ETA that I don't believe USFS is obligated to select a replacement at this point?
    Men:
    • 23-Konstantin Menshov (NHK)
    • 25-Sergei Voronov (NHK)
    • 27-Andrei Rogozine (SC)
    • 28-Alexander Majorov (SA)
    • 31-Misha Ge (none)

On the bubble: Elladj Balde (SC), followed by Zhan Bush (none)
    Last edited by Sylvia; 10-14-2013 at 07:09 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    In theory, it would be some ISU committee that would decide whether USFS needed to fill the spot. Chances are, even with airline cancellation penalties, it would be less expensive to bring Rogozine from Toronto to Detroit than it would have been to bring Joubert from Europe, and there are no visa issues there. I'm not sure whether Rogozine would want to change his training plans, though, since there's an Olympics spot up for grabs in which he is certainly in the running. He's at SC the following week.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Re-posting from the SA forum:
    Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post
    Joubert was at a press conference today for the announcement of the French flagbearer for Sochi (he was a finalist, but was not chosen) and AFAIK he said nothing about WDing from Skate America there or anywhere else (he was also interviewed by L'Equipe). There's nothing on the FFSG's Twitter and FB page, either. Could this be an error?
    Yes, it could be an error of omission. We'll find out soon enough, I'm sure.

vCash
    Thanks for reposting the above, Sylvia. I was thinking it might be an error as well, for the same reasons Zemgirl listed above. Granted, the l'Equipe interview mentioned was in print and published today, but he's been interviewed and photographed at the flag bearer event and we haven't heard any announcement there. (Of course, I'm attending Skate America and certainly hope this is an error.)

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Just tweeted by USFS:
    "NEWS: 2007 World Champion Brian Joubert has withdrawn from #SA2013"
    (No reason given)

vCash
    Deleted

vCash
    WHAAATTT????

Oh dear.

I hope it's not true. Joubert has never been my cup of tea, but I am just impressed by how many years he stayed atop podiums in everything he entered, and I was looking forward to finally seeing him skate live. Just because he's Joubert, you know!
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

vCash
    I wonder what happened. Obviously he wasn't ready for the Masters but there wasn't any indication that he would miss out on additional events.

Very curious as to what's in the L'Equipe interview (it's the print edition, so I'm waiting for some kind soul to post highlights ).

ETA: I've seen some stuff from that interview, and it looked as though he was planning to go to SA. This is very strange.
    Last edited by Zemgirl; 10-14-2013 at 08:09 PM.

vCash
    I'm so disappointed!!!!!! Brian's assignment to Skate America was the deciding factor for me purchasing tickets. Since he'll be retiring after Sochi, I thought this might be the last time I'd get to see him perform in person. Thankfully, I got to see him at 2009 worlds in LA.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post
    I wonder what happened. Obviously he wasn't ready for the Masters but there wasn't any indication that he would miss out on additional events.

Very curious as to what's in the L'Equipe interview (it's the print edition, so I'm waiting for some kind soul to post highlights ).

ETA: I've seen some stuff from that interview, and it looked as though he was planning to go to SA. This is very strange.
    The interview is quite long and covers his career, including where he is now. Fairly in depth and he's pretty honest on the whole, including about past events and Olympics. He acknowledges that FFSG is pushing Amodio and has a lot less contact with the federation these days but says that he knows Gailhaguet is there should he need advice. Sounds happy to be back in Poitiers and even mentioned skating pairs, possibly with Marchei in Detroit. Said he wouldn't go to Worlds after the Olympics and has already accepted invitations to gala events around that time.

Don't have time to translate right now, but full text of interview is posted here.

I'm disappointed not to see him at Skate America but not entirely surprised that he withdrew. It sounds like he's really behind schedule on training, since the new Poitiers rink allowed him to train there only since mid-September, and before that he was working with Guyon commuting an hour away in La-Roche-sur-Yon. He's also been having boot problems and switched back to his old skates.

vCash
    I wonder whom his replacement will be (i.e. Brian Joubert)?

There's been so much drama already as regards the GP (& Senior Bs for that matter) due to withdrawals and unexpected injuries, etc. It's fascinating to see the ups & downs. Makes me wonder what will happen next each time I check FSU.

Page 25 of 42 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast