Page 23 of 42 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast
    Title-less
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by analia View Post
    I don't find Jason Brown at all appealing. He is really not in the right direction of men's figure skating and will not have a successful career (my guess, it's possible he will never make a Worlds and USFSA's propaganda machine will never pick him as a favorite). I think this is rather very obvious and most of his fervent fans just don't want to admit it.

Last year's liebestraum drove me insane. This type of choreography just should NOT be for a aspiring senior male skater. This year's programs are even more sugary and cartoonish. I didn't think it was possible.
    Jason's last two lps did lack a little excitement. Not sure what is meant by sugary and cartoonish. Riverdance has good transitions and Brown is more in tune with the music than many skaters who are going from jump to jump. I have no doubt the skaters with quads will end up with more points though.
    So I think he is good (or very good depending on how you rate his non-jump elements) and he will add variety to men's skating--unless we want all male skaters to be alike.

I also think some US fans like the obskure skaters such as Jonathan Cassar because of their style, regardless of whether they will medal. While I am not a big fan of Cassar, I appreciate how the non-world medalists skaters get some fan following.
    Last edited by jlai; 10-09-2013 at 12:10 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jun Y View Post
    The thing is, I don't think it is possible for anyone who has seen Jason Brown skating live to dump on him or feel disappointed. People's enthusiasm for Brown has nothing to do with expectations for him to win this or that medal, but rather for qualities he's demonstrated since he was a tiny junior skater at Nationals. He has this irresistible charisma that's hard to pick up on video but lights up the arena. If you want to know what "connection with audience" is, just watch him skate live. He has an unquantifiable exuberance and genuine joy that is infectious and uplifting. He is a very special performer.
    For me what really sets him apart from everybody else is the quality of his programs. The complexity of the choreography, the amount of transitions, his timing. He has the whole package if there ever was one. Most male skaters don't come anywhere near him in those aspects.

As Marco said:
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    I know what you mean. His programs and non jump elements are all so difficult and he does them with such ease and quality, all the whilst in keeping with the music.
    Brown is not the most skilled, "natural" jumper and he'll most likely never become a World or Olympic champion. But 20 years from now - if I am still alive - I will definitely remember his programs.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Brown is not the most skilled, "natural" jumper and he'll most likely never become a World or Olympic champion.
    Why not? His peers include Hanyu, Han Yan, Farris, Gachinski, Ten etc. And of all the current 'teenagers', Hanyu currently stood out. Jason is only 18yo. By 2018, he may have his quads all ready to conquer.
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

vCash
    I don't find Jason Brown at all appealing. He is really not in the right direction of men's figure skating and will not have a successful career (my guess, it's possible he will never make a Worlds and USFSA's propaganda machine will never pick him as a favorite). I think this is rather very obvious and most of his fervent fans just don't want to admit it.

Last year's liebestraum drove me insane. This type of choreography just should NOT be for a aspiring senior male skater. This year's programs are even more sugary and cartoonish. I didn't think it was possible.
    Without wanting to sound like the demented uber, I am very curious to know why you said the bolded. What do you think is the "right" direction of men's figure skating and why isn't Jason a part of it?

I'm also at somewhat of a loss to understand the "sugary and cartoonish" comment. Was Abbott's "Spy" "cartoonish"?

At this point, I'm happy enough to enjoy his skating. He's got the triple Axel fairly well secure, he's matured a lot in his style and he's enjoyable to me. What will come will come for him. Maybe he won't ever make a Worlds team, or an Olympics; but he'd hardly be the first wonderful skater to do that.

vCash
    Congratulations on your official "arrival" Jason Brown! You are starting to get dismissed / defended / celebrated/ mehed on an FSU thread that isn't yours!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Accordion View Post
    Congratulations on your official "arrival" Jason Brown! You are starting to get dismissed / defended / celebrated/ mehed on an FSU thread that isn't yours!
    Yay, welcome to the REAL world of seniors!
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

vCash
    I don't find Jason Brown at all appealing. He is really not in the right direction of men's figure skating and will not have a successful career (my guess, it's possible he will never make a Worlds
    My guess is... you have this opinion to make people argue about it here.
    I saw Jason live for the first time at NT afew weeks ago andi can tell you he got a very possitive reception and reaction from the audience. He does have the whole package or will soon with a quad. Actually people around me where saying hey that could be the OGM 2018 we are watching now I personally say a big yes to his skating style,cjoreo with great transitions and that he is living the programs.

vCash
    Without wanting to sound like the demented uber, I am very curious to know why you said the bolded. What do you think is the "right" direction of men's figure skating and why isn't Jason a part of it?
    Perhaps the right direction in figure skating is contained in the Olympic motto 'Faster, Higher, Stronger.' Whether Jason is a part of this direction or not only time will tell. For now, his PC marks are not that impressive. Not for a skater whose "programs and non jump elements are all so difficult and he does them with such ease and quality, all the whilst in keeping with the music." I quoted Marco.

I remember right after Jason had debuted his Riverdance program at a summer competition, someone stated he was soon to become the greatest figure skater of all time. Now someone else sounds pretty sure Brown will never even make the US team for Worlds and Olympics, much less win medals. Different crystal balls, different predictions. lol

vCash
    For now, his PC marks are not that impressive.
    I think his PC marks are too low for what he does; likely because he is not a 'name'.

I mean- he does a Y spiral into a triple lutz. For goodness sakes, I can't think of a more difficult transition.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    I mean- he does a Y spiral into a triple lutz. For goodness sakes, I can't think of a more difficult transition.
    I can. For a while there he used to pull it right above his head and grab his foot with the other hand. A regular Y-spiral is obviously muuuuuuuuuuuuuuch less difficult.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    I know what you mean. His programs and non jump elements are all so difficult and he does them with such ease and quality, all the whilst in keeping with the music.
    He is a pleasure to watch indeed. However he lacks consistency and the jumps. Agree that he is not the saviour of men's figure skating......there is only one Patrick IMO.

Beach Bum
    vCash
    I far prefer the style of Brown/Cassar w/o the jumps to the men who do all the jumps with their shoulders glued to their ears.
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Emdee View Post
    He is a pleasure to watch indeed. However he lacks consistency and the jumps. Agree that he is not the saviour of men's figure skating......there is only one Patrick IMO.
    I think the lack of consistency was mainly in the 3A. That's one jump and it was the jump he had struggled with the last few seasons. But to say he lacks the other jumps is not correct. His other main issue early last season was edge calls on the lutz, but he didn't get those calls by Jr. Worlds. In fact in his Jr. Worlds FS, he got +GOE for every jump, including his two 3As.

For the record, I don't care to declare anyone the savior of figure skating. I just like the guy's skating and I do think he has a future.

And YMMV regarding his live performances. Just got an email from a friend who was at Nebelhorn who absolutely thought he was delightful.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie View Post
    According to the USFS international assignments page, Davis/Brubaker will replace Simpson/Blackmer at COR
    Davis/Brubaker were added to Rostelecom Cup on the ISU site today (Oct. 9): http://isu.sportcentric.net/db//files/serve.php?id=4789
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    I'm wondering who these people are who said that Jason is the "savior of men's figure skating?"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AJ Skatefan View Post
    Jason is the "savior of men's figure skating"
    I found one just snipped out a few irrelevant parts.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    I found one just snipped out a few irrelevant parts.
    You have a bright future in journalism. Or politics!
    Touching the void.

vCash
    I only said he is NOT the saviour!

vCash
    "He is not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!" - sorry, I can't ever help quoting Monty Python!
    Touching the void.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Terrible news for Kavaguti/Smirnov Smirnov injured; may miss Olympics
    K/S' 2 GP are Skate Canada & NHK Trophy.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 10-10-2013 at 10:47 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

Page 23 of 42 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast