Page 2 of 42 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    vCash
    1 GP assignment for Menshov might be for the best considering his health seems fragile. The way his shoulder popped out of the socket at WTT so easily made me a little scared to be honest. Plus he's 30 years old and a very small guy, I'd rather him not get injured again. Plus with only one spot for the men in Sochi it's pretty clear it will either go to Plushenko if he's healthy or Kovtun if he's not (or maybe Gatchinski if he has a very convincing rebound to the top this fall).

Also Kovtun did not "bomb" Russian Nationals or WTT. He wasn't at his best but I would hardly call his performances at those competitions bombing, at Nationals it just happened that both Voronov and Gatchinski skated pretty well and managed to beat him when they were really the ones who were bombing the rest of the season. Even Kovtun's FS at the Worlds was okay, he really just bombed the SP at Worlds. Plus his score at Euros with the mistake and Zayak just goes to show how high his score could have been if he was totally clean - he could have knocked Brezina off the podium for bronze! His being sent to some competitions was controversial I'll give you that, but I think people need to give Kovtun a break because to his credit he did have a strong season overall, especially the first half, where he beat Han Yan, then the reigning Junior World champ, convincingly at one JGP and beat Josh Farris, who became the new Junior World champ this spring, convincingly at the JGPF. So really, I don't think it's unfair he got 2 GPs at all, especially considering he's from a host country.
    Last edited by pinky166; 06-03-2013 at 10:13 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post

Ando did use up her one-time comeback option last season -- she said in an interview that she signed the paperwork, but whether that was for the ISU or required by her Federation wasn't clear -- and the Japanese Fed didn't hold a spot open for her, let alone asign her to one.

unbelievable japanese fed have decided that early to give tht spot to miyahira and didn't hold an option if ando would have delivered in some test skates or early competitions.

we speak of a 2-time world champion, one title en route to this olympcis, against a 4th and 7th place finisher at junior worlds
    no words although this was expected

vCash
    It's somehow strange the top 3 skaters skaters have the same couple of events,
    SC, TEB for YuNa Kim, V/M, Chan, D/R
    CoC, CoR for Kostner, B/S, S/S
    SA, NHK for Mao, D/W, V/T
    only Ten and Fernandez have messed it up

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeschke View Post
    unbelievable japanese fed have decided that early to give tht spot to miyahira and didn't hold an option if ando would have delivered in some test skates or early competitions.

we speak of a 2-time world champion, one title en route to this olympcis, against a 4th and 7th place finisher at junior worlds
    no words although this was expected
    That is what I had predicted.
    She was not the favorite of Japanese fed, all the time

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by caseyedwards View Post
    I can't believe Russia put Radionova in! It just didn't make sense with her not being Olympic eligible.

2009 skate America saw an empty mens field but this time it is packed! Doubt Lysacek is returning.
    Why shouldn't they put her in? It may not make sense for you, but I can see the sense. She won everything on the junior level, so why should she be forced to stay there? And the fact that she may knock some eligible girls off the GP podium? Well, then they are not as good anyway and wouldn't deserve to be on podium to start with!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    Czisny either didn't apply, USFS didn't submit her name on the GP list, or she was ineligible for comeback status because she dropped out of Top 6 at Worlds after being seeded, because she hasn't been assigned at least one up front. The same thing could be true of Suguri. USFS might be waiting to monitor her: of their Top 11 at US Nationals last year, Wagner (1), Gold (2), Zawadzki (3), Gao (5), and Nagasu (7) already have two, Zhang (11) already has Skate America, and it looks like the rest are staying Junior (Hicks, Siraj, Cesario, Wang, and Miller). Who else would they have to whom to give the assignment? Cain? Forte?
    I had forgotten about Czisny!

I hope it was her not asking for it because she feels she would not be ready enough, and not that the US Fed totally skipped her.

IIRC Cesario has grown out of Juniors.

vCash
    Very exciting!

I'm sad Misha Ge won't compete.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post

IIRC Cesario has grown out of Juniors.
    I thought she was 21 on the SB list, and would have been guaranteed one as a senior, but now I see she's 27.

All but one man, Nathan Chen, in the Top 24 SB is skating Senior next year. Of the 23 seniors, 21 have two each; only Menshov and Brown have one each.

The next skaters on the SB list are:
    25-Voronov (NHK)
    26-Liebers (CoC, RC)
    27-Rogozine (SC)
    28-Majorov (SA)
    29-Rippon (NHK)
    30-Gachinski (SA)
    31-Ge

All but TEB TBA's usually are assigned by the end of August/beginning of September, and either Menshov, Voronov, or Gachinski should get the RC TBA. Unless USFS gives it to Johnson (I hope), Rippon or Brown is likely to get SA. With Liebers already with two, that would put Ge in the first alternates group of 5 (if they use the same process as last season), unless Johnson gets SA, in which case, Ge would be in the second alternates group. While all but Majorov are from host Federations, they could have conflicts with the event (already assigned, huge travel costs, three from the country already assigned [there are three US Men in half the events]).

I was hoping Ge would get CoC, now that he's training there, but maybe he'll get an alternate assignment early enough to be able to get a visa. It would really suck if there was a last-minute spot open for SA, for which he wouldn't have needed a visa were he still training in CA.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeschke View Post
    Especially since Miyahara got RC, as she was guaranteed one for being 22nd on the SB list.
    Last edited by kwanfan1818; 06-03-2013 at 11:12 AM.
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

vCash
    Wow, I am still not over the depth of the men's field at NHK - this is going to be a bloodbath (or a splatfest of epic proportions given the amount of tension there might be there)

vCash
    Skate Canada makes sense for Yuzuru given that he trains in Canada but I am a little surprised he is not going to NHK. Doesn't the Japanese Federation traditionally invite their national champions to their own Grand Prix?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    Why would it be? Max is the National Champion and is a quad machine. Lysacek has always struggled with the quad and is now coming off an injury after a 3 year hiatus and has his age working against him, not to mention his 3a technique is squirrelly and is also an iffy jump for him, meaning Max could very feasibly beat him even if Evan were to show up in his 2010 form.
    Evan's skating level is a huge question mark and yes it's completely fair to put Max Aaron ahead of Evan right now. But misskarne seems to think Evan will not show up to compete because he's afraid of Max Aaron and that was a head scratcher to me.

vCash
    ITA about Zhang vs. Cesario. Is Shep still repping Zhang? That is honestly the only explanation I can think of.

Are all the other US up and comers staying Jr internationally?

vCash
    It should be interesting to see how the meeting between Yuzuru Hanyu and Patrick Chan at both Grand Prix develops. It is certainly not easy for either of them.

The ladies field at Cup of Russia is very interesting as well since it is a competition with all the young skaters who will shape the sport after Sochi.

vCash
    i think SC ladies competive will be really tough, there are full of similar level skaters except kim - suzuki, osmond, gold, korpi, Leonova, Lipnitskaia..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VarBar View Post
    Skate Canada makes sense for Yuzuru given that he trains in Canada but I am a little surprised he is not going to NHK. Doesn't the Japanese Federation traditionally invite their national champions to their own Grand Prix?
    I think the issue was that the JSF didn't want to risk a situation like last season when they had their two best skaters potentially risking to knock each other out of GPF, so getting Takahashi and Hanyu BOTH was out. To be honest I half-expected them to take Hanyu over Takahashi, but I'm guessing financial interests prevailed: Takahashi draws in a crowd that's more likely to have the money to splash out on very expensive tickets than Hanyu at this point. Plus it's Takahashi's last season so that might have come into play

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rayhaneh View Post
    I think the issue was that the JSF didn't want to risk a situation like last season when they had their two best skaters potentially risking to knock each other out of GPF, so getting Takahashi and Hanyu BOTH was out. To be honest I half-expected them to take Hanyu over Takahashi, but I'm guessing financial interests prevailed: Takahashi draws in a crowd that's more likely to have the money to splash out on very expensive tickets than Hanyu at this point. Plus it's Takahashi's last season so that might have come into play
    Takahashi, Oda, Suzuki and Asada plan to retire after this coming season, and are all assigned to NHK. Obviously, JSF and NHK want to milk their fans as much as possible for the last time.

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Last season's NHK was in Hanyu's hometown. I think that was definitely a factor in why he was selected.

Takahashi is the big draw for spectators of live figure skating in Japan, even more so than Asada.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeko View Post
    Takahashi, Oda, Suzuki and Asada plan to retire after this coming season, and are all assigned to NHK. Obviously, JSF and NHK want to milk their fans as much as possible for the last time.
    That's already been the case most of last season actually - well, not Oda, but the exposure of Takahashi and Asada has been pretty crazy in the media......

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rayhaneh View Post
    That's already been the case most of last season actually - well, not Oda, but the exposure of Takahashi and Asada has been pretty crazy in the media......
    I thought Hanyu had more media exposure than Takahashi last season.

I agree about Asada, though. TV Asahi aired her FS at WTT over and over, but never Takahashi or Suzuki's.

vCash
    Well IMO it looks as though Yuna, Kostner, Asada Wagner are all pretty much certain to make the final. Last 2 spots could be anyone

Page 2 of 42 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast