Page 15 of 42 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    Don't the Federations need to submit "Junior" and "Senior" lists with no overlap (now that Pairs can't do both), and isn't it not allowed for someone on the "Junior" list to be moved to a GP? Or is there an exception for host spots, especially if the skater hasn't already competed already this season in JGP?
    My guess is the latter. Laurine Lecavelier already competed in the JGP in Latvia last week so is ineligible for GP; Marrocco hasn't competed on the JGP yet (though kirkbiggestfan's post above makes it sound like she is destined for the JGP this year).
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Sad to see China and Japan still hasn't caught up in ice-dancing yet.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    The Reeds pulled up to Top 24 SB at WTT and are likely to be the top qualifying team at Nebelhorn. There were two low-scoring dance teams (one junior, one senior) at BC Summerskate, but they've got to start somewhere.

The Alternates lists look like this at the moment:
    [*]27-Cesario (SA) -- Assigned to TEB to replace Silete (see Sylvia's post below)

Ladies:
    • 27-Imai (RC)
    • 30-Popova
    • 31-K. Zhang (CoC)
    • 32-Lacoste (SC)
    • 33-Gosviani (CoR) -- Added when Cesario was assigned

with 34-Hicks and 35-Korobeynikova (CoC) next in line.

Men:
    • 22-Brown (TEB)
    • 23-Menshov (NHK)
    • 27-Rogozine (SC)
    • 28-Majorov (SA)
    • 31-Ge

with 34-Balde (SC) and 35-Bush next.

Dance:
    • 13-Coomes/Buckland (TEB)
    • 14-Stepanova/Bukin (SC)
    • 18-Sinitsina/Zhiganshin (NHK)
    • 19-Zlobina/Sitnikov (SC)
    • 21-Kolbe/Caruso (NHK)

with 22-Guignard/Fabbri (SC) and Heekin-Canedy/Dun (RC) next in line.

Pairs
    If what appeared to be last year's practice of giving (returning) split couples a second before creating Top Five from the SB list holds, then it will be Davis/Brubaker (SC) and Purich/Tran (TEB) first, and then the Top Five of:
    • 18-Martiusheva/Rogonov (CoC)
    • 22-Denney/Frazier (NHK)
    • 23-Purdy/Marinaro (SC)
    • 29-Wang/Zhang
    • 32-Della Monica/Guarise (TEB)

with 34-Vartmann/Van Cleave next to slot in, and then 35-Kemp/King.

If what's written in the Announcement happens, then the Top Five will be:
    • Purich/Tran (TEB)
    • Davis/Brubaker (SC)
    • 18-Martiusheva/Rogonov (CoC)
    • 22-Denney/Frazier (NHK)
    • 23-Purdy/Marinaro (SC)

with 29-Wang/Zhang and 32-Della Monica/Guarise (TEB) next in line.
    Last edited by kwanfan1818; 09-04-2013 at 08:52 PM.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

Awaiting Validation
    vCash
    Thanks for taking the time to go through and then post this information, kwanfan1818. Very helpful.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    This stuff is catnip to my essential nerd.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Men:
    [LIST]
    [*]22-Brown (TEB)[*]23-Menshov (NHK)[*]27-Rogozine (SC)[*]28-Majorov (SA)[*]31-Ge
    That leads me to think that the assigning of Rippon and Gachinski to the SkAm/COR TBAs is strategic, on the grounds that Brown and Menshov may yet get another assignment anyway.

vCash
    Lena Marrocco was already competing on the senior Grand Prix in 2010/2011 (and 11/12 & 12/13 for that matter). I thought that there was a rule put in place after 2010 or so where skaters could not drop back down to the Junior series once they had competed in senior, and this was only for pairs who were previously able to compete in both circuits.** I guess I am incorrect?

** ETA- the rest of that sentence should include that I believe the other disciplines have always had a rule in place where once the skaters compete in the senior circuit, they can't drop back down to junior.
    Last edited by Tony Wheeler; 09-04-2013 at 06:37 AM.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by misskarne View Post
    That leads me to think that the assigning of Rippon and Gachinski to the SkAm/COR TBAs is strategic, on the grounds that Brown and Menshov may yet get another assignment anyway.
    This could happen, but the host Federations could go with the skaters who they think would be the least competition. Brown has TEB, and USA has three men at SA, SC, and NHK: unless a US man pulled out for one of these, Brown could only sub for CoC or RC. Menshov is already at NHK. The only GP with three Russian Men is RC (Kovtun, Plushenko, and Gachinski), and the other four are open for him, and RC if one of the Russian Men were to withdraw.

The only GP with three Canadian Men is SC, and Rogozine is already signed up there. Majorov could sub anywhere but SA, and Ge could go anywhere he could get a visa. (He recently tweeted about more visa problems for Senior B's for which he's been signed up.)

vCash
    Kwanfan, thank you for the list posted above! It clarifies substitutions in one quick read!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Wheeler View Post
    Lena Marrocco was already competing on the senior Grand Prix in 2010/2011 (and 11/12 & 12/13 for that matter). I thought that there was a rule put in place after 2010 or so where skaters could not drop back down to the Junior series once they had competed in senior, and this was only for pairs who were previously able to compete in both circuits.** I guess I am incorrect?

** ETA- the rest of that sentence should include that I believe the other disciplines have always had a rule in place where once the skaters compete in the senior circuit, they can't drop back down to junior.
    A rule was proposed but must not have passed at the 2012 ISU Congress: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...=1#post3468897

This stuff is catnip to my essential nerd.
    Thank goodness for that! Thanks, as always.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    USFS just tweeted that Samantha Cesario "has been added to the 2013 Trophee Bompard roster."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    USFS just tweeted that Samantha Cesario "has been added to the 2013 Trophee Bompard roster."
    Good news!

Banned Member
    vCash
    Wait. So Cesario (8th Place at Nats) gets TWO Grand Prix Assignments, but Hicks (4th place at Nats) gets ZERO?!

What in the world is going on here?

Cesario has competed in virtually no major competition outside of Nationals.

being infected by Radionova's obvious joy for skating
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Yes yes yes yes yes yes I can't believe my luck.
    Rockin' Finnish commentator: "And that was supposed to be a flip but it turned out to be a flop."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Philly2034 View Post
    Wait. So Cesario (8th Place at Nats) gets TWO Grand Prix Assignments, but Hicks (4th place at Nats) gets ZERO?!

Cesario finished ahead of Hicks (and just off the podium) at Junior worlds.

vCash

She did finish 4th at 2013 JW.

But it isn't necessarily a compliment to Cesario that she got picked for TEB. She is less likely to challenge the remaining French ladies than the top picks from the SB list. Remember years ago when Emily Hughes was picked for TEB? She very nearly placed last.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash

While I think Hicks should have been assigned to SA,

• Cesario is tied for 27th on the SB list from her 157.72 at JPG Austria 2012.
    • Hicks's SB of 153.77 from JPG Lake Placid is 34th on the SB list.
    • Cesario has competed in five GPs and medalled in four of them, and was 4th at Jr. Worlds behind the Russian Wonderkids.
    • Hicks has competed in three GPs and medalled in two of them, and did well at Jr. Worlds, too, placing 5th, less than two points behind Cesario, up from 6th in 2011. (She was injured for 2012 Jr. Worlds.)

Both skaters had slightly lower scores at Jr. Worlds than at their highest-scoring GP's last season. They've had very similar results and experience internationally.

vCash

Nationals results have absolutely zero bearing on GP assignments, except sometimes for host picks.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie View Post
    Nationals results have absolutely zero bearing on GP assignments, except sometimes for host picks.
    Cesario's first assignment was the host pick, and she was in the first substitutes group. Given how close they are in international competition, I think that Hicks' pewter medal should have been the tie-breaker for SA.

vCash
    So Hicks gets hosed again? So much for skating better this summer then Cesario has.

Page 15 of 42 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast