Page 30 of 42 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Gosviani is the logical choice. Chinese visa issue is a red herring; in fact, it's usually easier and more hassle-free for a US citizen to get than for a Russian. Travel cost differential might have entered into it. However, from Hick's point of view, skating back to back at SC then CoC would have been brutal and not a recipe for a good showing at the second competition. She'd be better off with one of the later GP's, and maybe her chance will come round again, the way injured skaters have been piling up.

I wish Glebova would get something.

vCash
    Really happy for Gosviani I thought visa issues/timing would likely preclude any replacement being selected. I'm glad I was wrong!

vCash
    Where does it say that Nikol was added? There are still only 9 names in the roster as of now.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by analia View Post
    Where does it say that Nikol was added?
    Cup of China Ladies PDF was updated on Oct. 21: http://isu.sportcentric.net/db//files/serve.php?id=4832
    Xiaowen GUO has replaced Bingwa GENG as well.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Updated Top Five for Ladies Alternates List:

31-K. Zhang (CoC)
    34-Hicks (SC)
    36-Glebova (none)
    37-Lafuente (none)
    39-C. Zhang (SA)

42-Monika Simancikova is on the bubble and will slot in if K. Zhang, Hicks, or C. Zhang get an assignment next, followed by 43-Natalie Weinzierl.

35-Korobeynikova and 38-Helgesson each had one, but withdrew, and if I'm reading the announcement correctly, they are not eligible for a "replacement" selection off the alternates list.
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

vCash
    Oh I was not aware that Kexin Zhang doesn't have a second one yet. I hope she gets another one soon, but only if she has fully recovered from her injury.

I hope Hicks gets the next one that is available.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    So far K. Zhang is only listed for the CoC host spot, and Chinese Ladies have a total of four spots. There are only three Chinese Ladies who qualify for GP spots other than host spots, and one of them, Ziquan Zhao skated Juniors. Zijun Li, who was guaranteed two, is the only Chinese Ladies skater with one outside China. I don't know the status of K. Zhang's injury, but if she was still tentative when the initial assignments were made in June, especially since as SB #31 on the SB list, she wasn't guaranteed a spot, it made sense to give her a host spot, because she could be replaced by another Chinese skater automatically were she not ready.
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

Title-less
    vCash
    Or maybe ithe next spot will go to C Zhang who isnt much of a threat to any federation, and she may find the bye to national helpful

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Yes, indeed

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jlai View Post
    Or maybe ithe next spot will go to C Zhang who isnt much of a threat to any federation, and she may find the bye to national helpful
    I really wouldn't be surprised if that happened.

ISU really needs to change the rules to prevent stuff like this from potentially happening.

vCash
    On the positive note, C.Zhang would skate better than she skated at Skate America. (Because it is not possible to skate any worse).

vCash
    It would be a disgrace for C. Zhang to get another GP assignment.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    It would be a disgrace for C. Zhang to get another GP assignment.
    But if you were a host nation and you didn't want someone to challenge your skater for a medal, it sure would be a good pick...

Spitting Nickels
    vCash
    never mind, I should have read above before replying

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    But if you were a host nation and you didn't want someone to challenge your skater for a medal, it sure would be a good pick...
    Would you want to include a skater who doesn't even have the skills of a top Junior skater being at your event? It would be embarrassing.

vCash
    Would you want to include a skater who doesn't even have the skills of a top Junior skater being at your event? It would be embarrassing.
    Depends what your goals are. If you are country like Japan and have some very strong female skaters, you probably wouldn't be worried that K. Zhang, Hicks, Glebova or Lafuente beats your own skaters. But if you didn't have very strong ladies and really wanted your skater to do well (e.g. in France), you wouldn't want to add potential competitor who can move them one place lower. It wouldn't be embarrassing for the Federation who invited C. Zhang even if C. Zhang doesn't skate well. It would be embarrassing for Caroline and possibly for US Federation because Caroline would be representing USA..

vCash
    Why are you so worried about Caroline?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hanca View Post
    It wouldn't be embarrassing for the Federation who invited C. Zhang even if C. Zhang doesn't skate well. It would be embarrassing for Caroline and possibly for US Federation because Caroline would be representing USA..
    This was the train of thought I was following. However, I think it is a moot, as I don't think the USFS would allow Caroline to accept another assignment this year- and I think invitations have to go through them.

vCash
    I think the JPN or RUS Feds should be confident enough to invite Hicks or at least K Zhang.

The French might consider C Zhang but the 2 European ladies might be cheaper to invite and they are equally threatless to Meite.

Now C Zhang is probably more famous in China because of her heritage...

Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    This was the train of thought I was following. However, I think it is a moot, as I don't think the USFS would allow Caroline to accept another assignment this year- and I think invitations have to go through them.
    Is that how it works? Coz otherwise I think C Zhang would accept the invitation in a heartbeat. It gives her a direct ticket to Nationals and 2 months of uninterrupted training.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    All invites and communications go through the Federations. Were C. Zhang to be invited, USFS might be able to decline before asking her. I say might, because it could be governed by one of the unpublished rules and policies they have that impact skaters' careers but aren't made public. USFS might also let it be known to the other Federations that they don't want her chosen.

She didn't slot into Top Five until Gosviani replaced Korobeynikova. Right now, China doesn't have to make any more replacements. NHK is in the undefined zone tomorrow through next Wednesday. TEB and RC are still in the period where withdrawals have to be replaced.

Leonova is scheduled for NHK. I haven't read whether she expects to be ready for it.

Page 30 of 42 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast