Page 24 of 42 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AJ Skatefan View Post
    I'm wondering who these people are who said that Jason is the "savior of men's figure skating?"
    I think he should remove all doubt, and skate to a medley of "the Feeling Begins" and "Jesus Christ Superstar" in a loincloth with a crown of thorns and red sequined "stigmata" gloves.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AJ Skatefan View Post
    I'm wondering who these people are who said that Jason is the "savior of men's figure skating?"
    Quote Originally Posted by toddlj View Post
    I think he should remove all doubt, and skate to a medley of "the Feeling Begins" and "Jesus Christ Superstar" in a loincloth with a crown of thorns and red sequined "stigmata" gloves.
    You forgot the yellow pants.

I have no strong opinion about Jason one way or another. He's talented, but there are other talented young skaters. I wasn't as enthralled by his Riverdance program as some fans.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Of the Top Five on the SB list without two,

Skate Canada would not be back-to-back for:

• 22-Denney/Frazier (NHK)
    • 29-Wang/Zhang (none) -- if they're not out due to injury
    • 32-Della Monica/Guarise (TEB)

If W/Z are out with injury, next on the list are Vartmann/Van Cleave, who are already at SC, and there are already three Canadian Pairs at SC.

Martiusheva/Rogonov are at CoC the week after, and the fastest way from Saint John to Beijing is a little over 17 hours, with a connection in Toronto. Other flights are from 22-25 hours.

For NHK, were Zhang/Wang assigned to SC, then no one would move into the Top Five, since all would have one. If anyone else on the list is assigned, then Kemp/King would move into Top Five. The possible choices without back-to-back events are:

• Zhang/Wang (none) if they're in the Top Five; otherwise Kemp/King (none)
    • Vartmann/Van Cleave (SC)

Denny/Frazier are already at NHK. Purich/Tran and Della Monica/Guarise are at TEB the week before and would need to travel from Tokyo. (The non-stop from Tokyo to Paris is over 17 hours.) Martushieva/Rogonov are at CoC. It's a 4-8 hour flight from Beijing to Tokyo with only a one-hour time difference, and they'd be replacing another Russian team and competing along with V/T.

I think M/R should get NHK, if they don't have an issue with back-to-back trips that are no worse than SA to SC a little shorter than TEB to RC. They're the top of the SB list without two. Kemp/King already beat Takahashi/Kihara by 15+ points at Nebelhorn, and PB's of the other teams in the Top Five are at least 141.
    Last edited by kwanfan1818; 10-10-2013 at 10:46 PM.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    Of the Top Five on the SB list without two,

Skate Canada would not be back-to-back for:

22-Denney/Frazier (NHK)
    29-Wang/Zhang (none) -- if they're not out due to injury
    32-Della Monica/Guarise (TEB)
    Maybe I am missing something but shouldn't Prölß / Blommaert be in the top 5 before Wang / Zhang?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sandra_persch View Post
    Maybe I am missing something but shouldn't Prölß / Blommaert be in the top 5 before Wang / Zhang?
    Yes. They were 28 on the SB list last season (147.83 Annabelle PRÖLSS / Ruben BLOMMAERT GER World Junior Championships 2013 28.02.2013). Fortunately for her, the ISU Senior minimum age for the Grand Prix is still 14 this season - ETA link to their ISU bio: http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00013958.htm
    Last edited by Sylvia; 10-10-2013 at 10:51 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    I thought Prolss was not age-eligible for seniors, but Blommaert had aged out of seniors.

ETA: If she is age-eligible, then the Top Five right now would be:

18-Martushieva/Rogonov (CoC)
    22-Denney/Frazier (NHK)
    28-Prolss/Blommaert (none)
    29-Zhang/Wang (none) -- unless injured, in which case Vartmann/Van Cleave (SC) are the 5th
    32-Della Monica/Guarise (TEB)

Prolss/Blommaert with none could be assigned to either SC or NHK.
    Last edited by kwanfan1818; 10-10-2013 at 10:56 PM.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

Prick Admin
    vCash

Denny/Frazier are already at NHK. Purich/Tran and Della Monica/Guarise are at TEB the week before and would need to travel from Tokyo. (The non-stop from Tokyo to Paris is over 17 hours.)
    Actually, I take that very flight when I go to Japan and it's more like 11-12 hours. And if you're flying from Japan to Europe it's not as bad in terms of jet lag as you land in late afternoon.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Apologies -- the 17 hour flight has a long stop. The non-stop flights listed on Expedia are very expensive: I can imagine the French Fed insisting on one of the 25-hour trips to save $$$.

being infected by Radionova's obvious joy for skating
    vCash
    I thought Prolss was not age-eligible for seniors, but Blommaert had aged out of seniors.
    She's not age-eligible for the ISU Championships but for the GP the age limit is still one year lower (14 instead of 15). IIRC that'll change for 2014-2015 and the limit for both the GP and the big champs will be 15 (July 1st, yadda yadda). Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
    Rockin' Finnish commentator: "And that was supposed to be a flip but it turned out to be a flop."

vCash
    All the best to Smirnov! Hope he recovers fully and quickly!

I can't see the Skate Canada spot being filled unless the Russian Fed informs the ISU quickly and there is a pair in North America or Canada (training location) that could reach the location at a low cost.

Still hoping Proelss / Blommaert will get one

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    For me what really sets him apart from everybody else is the quality of his programs. The complexity of the choreography, the amount of transitions, his timing. He has the whole package if there ever was one. Most male skaters don't come anywhere near him in those aspects.

Brown is not the most skilled, "natural" jumper and he'll most likely never become a World or Olympic champion. But 20 years from now - if I am still alive - I will definitely remember his programs.
    Agree on all points.

If you are blown away by his performance is a matter of taste. I was blown away at Nebelhorn but I loved him before already so his style suits my preferences.

What is not a matter of taste is the complexity of his program in between the jumps. The guy did not just do some crossovers here and there but was in constant motion with different steps and ideas. It was breathtaking to watch.

But if he will ever even get to Worlds? No idea. His jumps may be his downfall. Maybe not. Hard to say now. But if I say that I enjoy watching him I don't say at the same time that I think he will be World Champion in 2 years.
    I also enjoy watching Zoltan Kemelen.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hedwig View Post
    Agree on all points.

If you are blown away by his performance is a matter of taste. I was blown away at Nebelhorn but I loved him before already so his style suits my preferences.

What is not a matter of taste is the complexity of his program in between the jumps. The guy did not just do some crossovers here and there but was in constant motion with different steps and ideas. It was breathtaking to watch.

But if he will ever even get to Worlds? No idea. His jumps may be his downfall. Maybe not. Hard to say now. But if I say that I enjoy watching him I don't say at the same time that I think he will be World Champion in 2 years.
    I also enjoy watching Zoltan Kemelen.
    Impossible to predict, of course, but re: Jason's jumps. He seems to be the type that takes a while to get a jump, but once it is in, it is more consistent than average. I don't see this year as him having trouble with triple axel; he lands it quite regularly in competition. So I am hopeful about Jason's World's prospects, at some point in the next Olympic cycle ( if not in this one, though who knows). Olympic year is wonderful for up- and- comers because there's a better chance to land 4CC or Worlds. Whether one is a fan of Jason or not ( I am), the quality of his skating deserves a long International season.
    improving my ballad- like lines

vCash
    Kavaguti/Smirnov's names are crossed out from Skate Canada and NHK on the ISU site; ditto for Joshi Helgesson's at Cup of China.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Martushieva/Rogonov are at CoC. It's a 4-8 hour flight from Beijing to Tokyo with only a one-hour time difference, and they'd be replacing another Russian team and competing along with V/T.
    Having made the journey many times, it's only 3.5 hour flight Beijing to Tokyo, one hour time difference is correct. Nobody in their right mind would do this as anything but a nonstop regardless of cost (hint: Expedia is not always the best source for Asia-based plane fares). It's an easy journey to make and very doable as back-to-back GP's. Tokyo to Paris is of course a much longer flight though westbound isn't that much of a jet lag problem compared to eastbound. I suspect the French Federation would use a nonstop flight cost in their calculations. But as a skater, back-to-back NHK then TEB wouldn't be my preference.
    Last edited by jiejie; 10-11-2013 at 04:22 PM.

vCash
    Ladies:
    • 27-Imai (RC)
    • 31-Zhang (CoC)
    • 33-Gosviani (RC)
    • 34-Hicks (SC)
    • 35-Korobeynikova (CoC)
    • Elena Glebova (none) is on the bubble, followed by Sonia Lafuente (none).
    With J. Helgesson out of Cup of China, just reminding us of the options. Since there are already 3 RUS ladies, Gosviani can't get this one. And of course Zhang and Korobeynikova are already there. So it's between Imai and Hicks (who seems unlikely as she is at SC the week before.)

vCash
    U.S. Figure Skating ‏@USFigureSkating 3m
    NEWS: Haven Denney and @Brandon_F1992 have accepted an invitation to Skate Canada.

Happy for them...they seemed like the most logical option

vCash
    Great to see that spot getting filled!

vCash
    From the GP Announcement:
    Skaters/couples, who place first in the following international competitions
     U.S. Senior International 2013 (Pairs included in the competition)
     Nebelhorn Trophy 2013 (Pairs included in the competition)
     Ondrej Nepela Memorial 2013 (Pairs included in the competition)
     Finlandia Trophy 2013
     Cup of Nice 2013 (Pairs included in the competition)
    and can prove to have skated the minimum total score or the minimum Technical score as mentioned in paragraph 2.3, as well as skaters/couples, who can prove to have skated the minimum Technical score will be added to the alternate list, bottom ranked according to their scores.
    I've always been confused by the the bolded phrase above (which scores are meant?), but refer to kwanfan's explanation, now edited in below.

2012-13 ISU Seasons Best Total Scores list:
    18 162.25 Anastasia MARTIUSHEVA / Alexei ROGONOV RUS ISU GP NHK Trophy 2012
    22 155.83 Haven DENNEY / Brandon FRAZIER USA World Junior Championships 2013 - invited to replace K/S at Skate Canada
    28 147.83 Annabelle PRÖLSS / Ruben BLOMMAERT GER World Junior Championships 2013
    29 145.56 Wenting WANG / Yan ZHANG CHN ISU Four Continents Championships 2013
    32 142.53 Nicole DELLA MONICA / Matteo GUARISE ITA ISU GP Rostelecom Cup 2012 (TEB)
    34 141.79 Mari VARTMANN / Aaron VAN CLEAVE GER European Championships 2013 (Skate Canada)
    35 133.56 Stacey KEMP / David KING GBR World Championships 2013 (0 GP)
    36 133.05 Britney SIMPSON / Matthew BLACKMER USA ISU JGP Austria 2012 (WD from Rostelecom Cup, their only GP)
    37 133.01 Jessica CALALANG / Zack SIDHU USA World Junior Championships 2013 (0 GP)
    38 131.26 Gretchen DONLAN / Andrew SPEROFF USA ISU GP Hilton HHonors Skate America 2012 (0 GP)

ETA this reply from the U.S. Pairs thread:
    Winners of the early listed Senior B's go to the bottom of the alternates list; if winning Nepala were D/S's only claim, they'd be eight-ten Pairs -- and up to 18 selections -- away from being eligible for moving into the Top Five, which doesn't guarantee a selection. For example, there have been four substitutions so far, with K/S's TEB spot still TBA, and Martiusheva/Rogonov -- the highest ranked (PB 18) and the only team besides Denney/Frazier in the Top 24 SB in the Top Five, and eligible for selection to sub for K/S -- are still waiting. Donlan/Speroff, by virtue of having made the GP TES minimum for SP at Nepala, combined with their SB #36, are three or four couples -- or up to six selections -- away from being in the Top Five and eligible for an invitation.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 10-12-2013 at 03:37 PM.

vCash
    YEAH for an American Pair Team getting another Sr. GP event, Denney & Frazier!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by toddlj View Post
    With J. Helgesson out of Cup of China, just reminding us of the options. Since there are already 3 RUS ladies, Gosviani can't get this one. And of course Zhang and Korobeynikova are already there. So it's between Imai and Hicks (who seems unlikely as she is at SC the week before.)
    Mirai was sent to SC and CoC back-to-back two seasons back, I think. She actually had a good skate at CoC.

But Imai would still be a much more logical choice, especially considering geography. But, both Hicks and Imai have won Senior B events this season. Hicks won w/ a bigger score but is ranked lower than Imai. Might the Chinese Fed. base their decision on who will be a bigger 'threat' to Li Zijun (IDK. Will she be there? Too lazy to look)

Page 24 of 42 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast