Page 22 of 42 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Jason Brown is one of the most exciting skaters in the history of figure skating, IMO.
    I like him too but oooh, give him a little time. This feels uncomfortably like it borders on the kind of hype that melts into equally disproportionate dumping and disappointment should he not meet ever heightening expectations.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leapfrogonice View Post
    I like him too but oooh, give him a little time. This feels uncomfortably like it borders on the kind of hype that melts into equally disproportionate dumping and disappointment should he not meet ever heightening expectations.
    The thing is, I don't think it is possible for anyone who has seen Jason Brown skating live to dump on him or feel disappointed. People's enthusiasm for Brown has nothing to do with expectations for him to win this or that medal, but rather for qualities he's demonstrated since he was a tiny junior skater at Nationals. He has this irresistible charisma that's hard to pick up on video but lights up the arena. If you want to know what "connection with audience" is, just watch him skate live. He has an unquantifiable exuberance and genuine joy that is infectious and uplifting. He is a very special performer.

Prick Admin
    vCash
    I guess there is always one, but I saw Jason Brown skate live in Oberstdorf and I wasn't blown away. He's a fine skater, no doubt, but all these proclamations about him being the saviour of figure skating are premature.

Oh and I thought his "Riverdance" was a bit dull.

vCash
    I love Jason and his skating very much, but I'm getting a bit uncomfortable with some of the hype he's been getting. Let's just see what happens. The guy is only 18 and won't even be 19 under after the GPF.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    I guess there is always one, but I saw Jason Brown skate live in Oberstdorf and I wasn't blown away. He's a fine skater, no doubt, but all these proclamations about him being the saviour of figure skating are premature.

Oh and I thought his "Riverdance" was a bit dull.
    Same. He seemed to skate a bit "small". The Prince program was good, but Mae Berenice Meite used the same music in her SP this season, and I wouldn't say that Jason was wildly ahead of her in interpretation.

Title-less
    vCash
    Brown demonstrated v good skating skill and transitions on top of good interpretation in the Prince program.
    But I agree that in the sr men field he still needs to be faster bigger
    Last edited by jlai; 10-08-2013 at 11:41 PM. Reason: addint transitions

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    To each his own. But I'm baffled by the "proclamations" that he will be "the savior of figure skating." Hasn't that already happened and his name is Patrick Chan?

Nobody is the savior of figure skating --- unless perhaps someone who can figure out a better way of judging this sport. I think it is rather pointless to wait for or search for a skater who is good at everything in figure skating. If you prefer faster and bigger skaters, there are Max Aaron or Javier Fernandez. Jason Brown cannot and (I predict) will not have everything, even in 10 years. He grew up in a skating club without world-class coaches and will never have the skating skills of Patrick Chan or the jumps of Hanyu. His specialty is performance. If that's not your thing, that's fine. He's not going to become great at everything so that everyone will love him.

Sideway digression: I am still surprised sometimes that in figure skating how nobody, even the best, can be good at everything. That someone like Gachinski can win silver at Worlds while I have met adult skaters with better skating skills just shows you how impossible it is to be a "well rounded" skater. If you want to pick someone apart you always can find something. Maybe that's why in figure skating complaints always outnumber praises and snark always overwhelms joy. The longer I've been a fan the more I seem to become jaded and cynical. At the 2011 US Nationals in Greensboro, the kid brought joy and fun and a love for skating to the spectators, me included. How many component points is it worth? Maybe none. But to me that's special.
    Last edited by Jun Y; 10-08-2013 at 06:06 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Jason Brown is one of the most exciting skaters in the history of figure skating, IMO.
    I know what you mean. His programs and non jump elements are all so difficult and he does them with such ease and quality, all the whilst in keeping with the music.

Left in the Kiss-n-Cry
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by morqet View Post
    Same. He seemed to skate a bit "small". The Prince program was good, but Mae Berenice Meite used the same music in her SP this season, and I wouldn't say that Jason was wildly ahead of her in interpretation.
    Mae Bernice is a great athlete, and she occassionally uses her arms to beautiful effect, but come on...
    I meant to take the high road.... but I missed the exit.

Brezina's Nemesis
    Collecting papers to obtain status of a Goddess for Asli
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jun Y View Post
    The thing is, I don't think it is possible for anyone who has seen Jason Brown skating live to dump on him or feel disappointed.
    Really?
    Mind you, that was a year ago or so, but was totally unimpressed.
    Oh, well, I know I'm special.
    In Soviet Russia, the skaters lobbychick YOU.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrey aka Pushkin View Post
    Really?
    Mind you, that was a year ago or so, but was totally unimpressed.
    Oh, well, I know I'm special.
    Special? Ha-ha!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Domshabfan View Post
    I think you meant foot, right?... I was all ready to talk about bad eating habits before i realised it was an typo.

P.S. I know i have fa bigger mistakes, but food could also make sense here.
    oops ok, that was really bad from me. Thanks for pointing out. Of course it's the foot.
    She does quite god for having only one skate in this vid from last week
    http://youtu.be/Y8phDYHyLCY

vCash
    According to the USFS international assignments page, Davis/Brubaker will replace Simpson/Blackmer at COR

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie View Post
    According to the USFS international assignments page, Davis/Brubaker will replace Simpson/Blackmer at COR
    Also according to the USFS tweet posted by Sylvia here:
    http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...=1#post4013802

Updated alternates list:
    Pairs:

Purich/Tran (split couple, TEB)
    18-Matiusheva/Rogonov (CHN)
    22-Denney/Frazier (NHK)
    29-Wang/Zhang (none)
    32-Della Monica/Guarise (TEB)

If Wang/Zhang are no longer a couple or were not submitted for GP's by the Chinese Fed, then Vartman/Van Cleave (SC) are the fifth team in the group, and Kemp/King (none) are on the bubble, followed by Calalang/Sidhu (none, currently assigned to Coupe de Nice). The latter two made the minimum GP technical scores last season.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by peibeck View Post
    Mae Bernice is a great athlete, and she occassionally uses her arms to beautiful effect, but come on...
    Yeah, actually. I watched them both live in the last week, and there wasn't much to choose between them as to how they used the music.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    If Wang/Zhang are no longer a couple or were not submitted for GP's by the Chinese Fed, then Vartman/Van Cleave (SC) are the fifth team in the group, and Kemp/King (none) are on the bubble, followed by Calalang/Sidhu (none, currently assigned to Coupe de Nice). The latter two made the minimum GP technical scores last season.
    Wang/Zhang skated in the Chinese local competition this september http://chnfs.org/wp-content/uploads/...2014_NC_GP.pdf. They scored 40.56 for 7th place in the short program and wd from the free. I doubt they split, but they may be injured?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sammyf View Post
    Wang/Zhang skated in the Chinese local competition this september http://chnfs.org/wp-content/uploads/...2014_NC_GP.pdf. They scored 40.56 for 7th place in the short program and wd from the free. I doubt they split, but they may be injured?
    This link is broken - oubik posted the link to this early September domestic Grand Prix competition in the Chinese news thread with the translated results here: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...=1#post3994428
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    I don't find Jason Brown at all appealing. He is really not in the right direction of men's figure skating and will not have a successful career (my guess, it's possible he will never make a Worlds and USFSA's propaganda machine will never pick him as a favorite). I think this is rather very obvious and most of his fervent fans just don't want to admit it.

Last year's liebestraum drove me insane. This type of choreography just should NOT be for a aspiring senior male skater. This year's programs are even more sugary and cartoonish. I didn't think it was possible.

Spin Alissa Spin!!!
    vCash

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sammyf View Post
    There was some talk here that they might have split, but obviously not, but those results don't sound very promising for a GP spot selection, if they are healthy. It's possible the Chinese Fed didn't submit them for GP selection -- it's rare for this to be publicized, and we usually only know if there's a article about it (Sandhu and Sokolova come to mind) -- which only matters in trying to figure out who is on the alternates list.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

Page 22 of 42 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast