vCash

Skates as Art (Painting Skates)

I have several old pairs of skates with sentimental value that I don't want to sell or get rid of. One pair in particular, I'd like to paint. I'd like to do a pretty intricate design. I'm not sure how to go about painting them though. They're leather. Because the design I want to do is fairly detailed (more than one colour, too), I can't use leather spray, though I might for a white base (they're white skates, but pretty old!). Does anyone know how I should go about painting the design? Do markers work? Would they spread?

Thanks in advance.

vCash
    Markers shouldn't spread as it's a pretty hard aurface. Don't know if they would fade over time. Acrylic paints should work just fine, as well as oils if you're set up for that. I've been using winser & newton artisan watersoluble oils & like them. They clean up with soap & water.

vCash
    Thanks backspin. Will I need to use something to seal the acrylic? Would modge podge work?

vCash
    i'd use a matte or gloss medium, which you can get at any art supply store. I prefer gloss, as the matte is so flat. You can get it in spray form, or as a gel that you just brush on. It goes on a little milky, but don't worry, it dries crystal clear. Just don't put it on really thick.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by backspin View Post
    i'd use a matte or gloss medium, which you can get at any art supply store. I prefer gloss, as the matte is so flat. You can get it in spray form, or as a gel that you just brush on. It goes on a little milky, but don't worry, it dries crystal clear. Just don't put it on really thick.
    Maybe any art store where you are, but certainly not any art store in Beijing! I'll have a look around, thanks!