View Poll Results: Who was the most controlling/difficult skating mom?

Voters
132. You may not vote on this poll
  • Suzanne Bonaly

32 24.24%
  • Shuguang Zhao (Caroline Zhang's mother)

1 0.76%
  • Marjorie Chin

21 15.91%
  • Julie McDonough

26 19.70%
  • Park Mee-hee (Kim Yu-Na's mother)

10 7.58%
  • Jennifer Leung

16 12.12%
  • Jody Flatt

1 0.76%
  • Danny Kwan

12 9.09%
  • Doris Fleming

0 0%
  • Raymonde Joubert

4 3.03%
  • Galina Cohen

1 0.76%
  • Other

8 6.06%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

vCash
    This is the ultimate Trash Can poll--LOL!

ETA: Lucinda Ruh's mother should be on the list. In her book, Lucinda said her mother used to hit her if she didn't do well in practice!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by all_empty View Post

Coaches can be just as domineering and difficult as skating parents.
    yet somehow they are allowed to get away with it.............

vCash
    I don't think Pat Lipinski seemed very controlling. If anything it seemed like she allowed Tara to be in charge and it was very obvious Tara wanted to practice as hard as she did. She did seem a little goofy though.

vCash
    There are good parents and there are bad parents. No matter what walk of life you are in. Parents have to make choices on how to support their children in whatever endeavor that they do. Each of the parents that you mention have had some public demonstrations of what you might consider to be poor parenting. But does that in itself make them a bad parent?

Or are you talking about how the parent is to interact if you are a coach, rink management, choreographer of the skater?

vCash
    If Danny Kwan is on this poll, where is Papa Henie?

vCash
    but what did Jody Flatt do that qualifies her as being 'controlling' or 'difficult' ? She seems to be a nice, loving supportive mother, what gives?
    I was thinking that. I never got any hint she was a "skate mom" in the "stage mother" sense. I always got the impression Rachel was the one with the drive and the parents were just along for the ride. For that matter, I never got any sense that the Cohen parents did anything to warrant the label, either.

I think Ma Lipinski is a more worthy inclusion on the list of candidates, but she wouldn't be my winner. I think the worst would be the Moms who made their skater so miserable they quit the sport (like Leung and AP McDonough).

vCash
    I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Jennifer Kirk's mother.

My mother was extremely strict with me about training. She often lied to my coaches, telling them that I was only skating five days a week when I was really skating seven. When I broke my pelvis, she made me train for two months before taking me to a doctor. During practices, I would regularly complain about the pain, and she often told me that I was becoming “soft” for not training as hard as I had before I had injured my hip.
    http://trueslant.com/jenniferkirk/20...kating-parent/

vCash
    delete
    Last edited by judiz; 06-06-2013 at 12:01 PM.

vCash
    I agree that Papa Henie definitely belonged on this list. From what I've read and seen in documentaries, he was really something. No one will ever beat Suzanne Bonaly though. She was pretty terrifying. I've known a couple pretty scary 'Skate Moms' in real life too. It takes all kinds.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    ohmigosh...these thread can polls are just getting worse and worse!
    Could not agree more! So sad, I guess these people have no idea how much sacrafice these families make. There is no one size fits all experience for skaters. A skaters life is so hard. The old saying of "walking in someone else's shoes", comes to mind. How about positive Poll! Lets see that glass half full!
    Last edited by gingercat; 06-07-2013 at 04:32 AM. Reason: Spelling

vCash
    I didn't have the chance to meet the majority of them, but for years I thought Joubert's mom was difficult. Not bad to him in any way, but kinda pain in the ass for constantly being around and controlling her son's life. But then last year in Nice when I asked Brian for a picture, she started joking around (in English!) and I kinda changed my opinion about her. She can be quite fun when she wants to.

On the other hand, there are so many absolutely loveable skating parents. Like, who didn't love momma and pappa Kerr?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mia joy View Post
    I didn't have the chance to meet the majority of them, but for years I thought Joubert's mom was difficult. Not bad to him in any way, but kinda pain in the ass for constantly being around and controlling her son's life. But then last year in Nice when I asked Brian for a picture, she started joking around (in English!) and I kinda changed my opinion about her. She can be quite fun when she wants to.

On the other hand, there are so many absolutely loveable skating parents. Like, who didn't love momma and pappa Kerr?
    The Kerrs' parents were respectful and supportive of their children. We need a separate thread about ice dance moms, featuring Mrs. Belbin and Irina Cherniaeva, the mother of Marina Anissina who allegedly hired a Russian mobster to fix Salt Lake City.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by N_Halifax View Post
    I agree that Papa Henie definitely belonged on this list. From what I've read and seen in documentaries, he was really something. No one will ever beat Suzanne Bonaly though. She was pretty terrifying. I've known a couple pretty scary 'Skate Moms' in real life too. It takes all kinds.
    Why aren't there more ambitious Norwegians in the sport today?

vCash
    I am afraid if I don't vote for Jennifer Leung what she might do to me.

vCash
    If you ask any one of those skaters I bet all would say they wouldn't have made it to the top without their parent. Most truly appreciate the needed push. There are some but very few make it to the top without a parent or mentor pulling them through the tough moments...

vCash
    Galina Cohen never struck me as controlling. Sasha always seemed very much in control, very strong willed and did just exactly as she wanted in spite of her coaches which in hindsight probably hurt her more than helped in learning proper technique on jumps like the Lutz. I don't recall ever even seeing Galina in the stands. Just Sasha's dad and sister.

Quote Originally Posted by giselle23 View Post
    This is the ultimate Trash Can poll--LOL!

ETA: Lucinda Ruh's mother should be on the list. In her book, Lucinda said her mother used to hit her if she didn't do well in practice!
    Wow. I'd like to change my vote from Bonaly's mom to Ruh's!

vCash
    I guess we don't really know if Mrs. Cohen was controlling because she mostly stayed out of the spotlight. They never showed her on TV or anything and I think I've only seen photos of her. Wasn't it rumored she did not get along with Tarasova and that was the reason for Sasha leaving Simsbury?

I don't get why Mrs. Flatt is on this poll either. It's well-known she's posted on this board before, but she didn't really say anything bad.

Danny Kwan and Mrs. Park (Yuna's mother) have an unfair reputation as stage parents, IMO. They may have been "intense" at times but I don't think either have done anything like berate their daughter in front of the camera crew.

Watch me move
    vCash
    I don't think Mama Leung's first name is Jennifer, unless I missed something.....Jennifer is the English name of Mira's last coach of record that was not her mom.

I would have to vote either for Mama Leung, having witnessed her mothering/coaching in person, or Julie McDonough, who IIRC very proudly told the story that, when she first held little Ann Patrice in her arms, said to her "you will be a skater". Poor Ann Patrice didn't ever seem to have had much choice in the matter....
    Who wants to watch rich people eat pizza? They must have loved that in Bangladesh. - Randy Newman on the 2014 Oscars broadcast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheIronLady View Post
    We need a separate thread about ice dance moms, featuring Mrs. Belbin and Irina Cherniaeva, the mother of Marina Anissina who allegedly hired a Russian mobster to fix Salt Lake City.
    I'm curious - what is the story on Mrs. Belbin?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FSfan107 View Post
    I know there is a "other" option, but I'm surprised Pat Lipinski didn't make the list.
    ^^ Well, it isn't exactly an official list, but yeah strangely missing somehow, especially in view of some of the other mentions.

Even stranger is how anyone can vote informatively unless they intimately know each person on the list and/ or witnessed any of their supposed "controlling/ difficult Mom" behaviors.

And as already observed, I never realized Danny Kwan was a "skating Mom," despite his being accused of trying to be a skating coach.

Quote Originally Posted by vodkashot View Post
    If Danny Kwan is on this poll, where is Papa Henie?
    Like most hysterical polls, it's non-historical, and apparently too difficult for an over eager pollster to take into account what happened before his/ her time.

ETA:

Quote Originally Posted by dorianhotel View Post
    Well Scott Hamilton said he felt due to her Mom Debi could never love skating, and that her Mom didnt even really want her to skate but to focus only on school.
    Hearsay, hearsay, hearsay!

From what I've heard Debi and others say about her Mom in interviews/ commentary, Debi's Mom apparently was encouraging of her daughter's love of skating and made personal sacrifices to support Debi in everything she aspired to achieve.
    Last edited by aftershocks; 06-18-2013 at 10:29 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast