View Poll Results: Who was the most controlling/difficult skating mom?

Voters
132. You may not vote on this poll
  • Suzanne Bonaly

32 24.24%
  • Shuguang Zhao (Caroline Zhang's mother)

1 0.76%
  • Marjorie Chin

21 15.91%
  • Julie McDonough

26 19.70%
  • Park Mee-hee (Kim Yu-Na's mother)

10 7.58%
  • Jennifer Leung

16 12.12%
  • Jody Flatt

1 0.76%
  • Danny Kwan

12 9.09%
  • Doris Fleming

0 0%
  • Raymonde Joubert

4 3.03%
  • Galina Cohen

1 0.76%
  • Other

8 6.06%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

vCash

Most Controlling/Difficult Skating Mom

Who wins the prize? There are so many luminaries to choose from here.

vCash
    Let's be fair to them. Without their dedicated support which some may view as demanding, their kids wouldn't have been where they would be in the world of figure skating. There may be more mothers and fathers in the list, but not all of their children make it to the 'who's who list of figure skaters' so we don't know who they are.
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

vCash
    We love all of these parents, even Danny Kwan and Mira Leung's crazy mother.

vCash
    Oh this is a tough one. Marjorie Chin, Suzanne Bonaly, and Jennifer Leung stand out above the rest for me, but I have a hard time deciding between those three. While it would take huge willpower and courage on the part of the daughter, I ask myself which of the three would be the hardest to break away from if their skating daughters worked up the gall to do so. I think despite the strict Asian ways of Chin and Leung, my answer is still Bonaly. So I picked her.

Danny Kwan is a Mom? I guess I had him wrong all along.

vCash
    I voted for Joubert's mom.

vCash
    I voted for Mira Leung's mom. Mira always seemed so introverted and kind of sad and no one seems to know anything about her these days.
    "I hit him with my shoes... if he had given me the medal like I told him to, I wouldn't have had to hit him!" -- 8-year-old Rhoda Penmark in "The Bad Seed"

vCash

vCash

vCash
    lol who is the most controlling/difficult skating mom?

....Danny Kwan? ahahahahhah!

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    ohmigosh...these thread can polls are just getting worse and worse!
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    I'm not just skeptical on this simply because I'm a fan of he uber-cute daughter, but what did Jody Flatt do that qualifies her as being 'controlling' or 'difficult' ? She seems to be a nice, loving supportive mother, what gives?

vCash
    Those Kwans have a way of sneaking into polls, don't they...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by spikydurian View Post
    Let's be fair to them. Without their dedicated support which some may view as demanding, their kids wouldn't have been where they would be in the world of figure skating.
    Not necessarily, and even if so, is it worth the price?

Fernandez joins ranks of Spanish sports royalty

There is a saying that it is better to be lucky than good. While it took a lot of luck to get Javier Fernández where he is today, the Spanish skater is that good that he was able to take advantage of his good fortune.
    Figure skating is not a widely understood sport in Spain, nor is it widely broadcast. So for Fernández to end up becoming one of the world's best figure skaters, and to be from Spain, is a story of how luck and talent intertwined at just the right time.

It was by chance that his older sister, Laura, happened upon watching skating on television one day, back when Javier was about 6. She went to her parents and asked them if she could take a lesson. Young Javier watched his sister on the ice, and he, too, wanted to lace up a pair of skates....

Truth be told, he does not get back to Spain much, and often while training in Toronto he yearns for meals from his home country, especially paella. If he can find a soccer game being broadcast online, he will watch it. His father, Antonio, who is in the Spanish military, and his mother, Enriqueda, who works in a post office, will try to see Fernández compete if he is in Europe. But the high cost of traveling to Canada will prevent them from watching him skate at the 2013 World Championships.

They did get to watch him win the European title, which he earned in Zagreb, Croatia, and they stayed at the same hotel as their son.

"We celebrated in the hotel and opened a couple of bottles of champagne in my room," Fernández said. "My aunt and cousin were there, too."

As proud as his parents are of their son's good fortune, Fernández said they remain somewhat outsiders in the sport.

"They know a little bit," he said. "But they still get confused with the jumps."
    It's possible to be a loving, encouraging, and supporting parent and raise your child to be a World medalist without being Rose Hovick on skates. By all indications, that is the Fernándezes have done.
    Last edited by Vagabond; 06-03-2013 at 01:38 AM.

vCash
    Wonderful to hear that Fernandez has supporting parents. He's such a 'happy kid' with as far as I can observe, an easy-going nature to match.

Does Spain pay for all of Fernandez's overseas training expenses? I think China does and probably Japan? How about Canada, the USA and other countries?
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

vCash
    Gold - Majorie Chin
    Silver - Suzanne Bonaly (just like Surya, always just short of Gold)
    Bronze - Julie McDonough
    Pewter - Jennifer Leung

vCash
    Suzanne Bonaly really deserves the lifetime achievement award--rather than Gold or Silver--for controlling your daughter beyond her skating years. Dan Hollander commented on this in his interview with Dave Lease and Jenny Kirk.

I voted for Marjorie Chin because of the pseudo-scientific chiropractic treatments that she made Tiffany undergo. I think it may have been Marjorie's way of coping with the losses.

vCash
    I really know nothing about Mrs. McDonough at all. It is interesting to see her so high in votes and rivalling the Terrible Trio. She must have been something pretty bad even though I have barely heard anything about her.

vCash
    Not a fair poll to post, in my opinion.

There are no manual on being a perfect parent, much less being a perfect skating parent.

Clearly these women (and man) did something right to get their children to an elite level, sacrificing their time and money and likely personal happiness.

Did they make mistakes? Sure, all parents do. Unless there was physical abuse (which I don't think any of these cases were) or mental abuse (hard to document), these parents' actions were for the betterment of their children.

Coaches can be just as domineering and difficult as skating parents.

vCash
    The late Virginia Fratianne should be on the poll. She was an enormous complainer, whining endlessly anytime her beloved Linda did not win a competition, and of course saying nothing at all when she received a blatant gift (eg- 77 and 80 Nationals, 78 Worlds LP, 1980 Worlds SP). She even threatened to sue the judges or the ISU for all the money they cost Linda for not winning the Olympics Gold, LOL! She told Linda bad things about her competitors to make her dislike them, and drilled the whole dealmaking story in Lake Placid in Linda's mind which made her bitter and upset for decades to come. Whether it was true or not, a terrible thing to do to a young women. Had she been on the poll she would have been my vote in a heartbeat.

vCash
    I know there is a "other" option, but I'm surprised Pat Lipinski didn't make the list.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast