Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    I guess that is one way to look at it. I am more sad they won that World medal over IMO far more deserving teams. I also think for them it was perhaps the worst thing to happen to their own career in hindsight. Essentialy there were no winners from it.
    Fact is even if the French team didn't stumble and fall the Shibs would have been 4th in there debut at Worlds which to me is impressive. And the fact is they out skated all the other teams to get that Bronze medal.

where all the boys, men, wolves, jocks, otters, cubs, & bears are ;)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by demetriosj View Post
    Naturally. Earning the third spot helped give them both breathing room to make multiple mistakes at Nationals and still place top 3.
    LOL, they both made multiple mistakes to place top 2 at 2013 Nationals before even going to Worlds to earn that 3rd spot. The current competition in the US ladies isn't that deep that skaters have to be clean/near clean anymore. The US pairs competition is even worse.

The US men and ice dancing are the only really competitive events now at Nationals and making the Olympic and World teams for those 2 disciples will be really tough!

vCash
    For the men, I'm thinking definitely Jeremy Abbott and either Max Aaron, Ross Miner or Adam Rippon for that second spot. Josh Farris is awesome as well and you never know, he could certainly sneak in there, along with any number of really talented U.S. men's skaters. There's a ton of depth in U.S. men's skating right now so it will come down to who skates clean at Nationals. As for the ladies, I'm going to say Ashley Wagner and Gracie Gold, along with Christina Gao, Alissa Czisny or Agnes Zawadzki. My money is on Agnes -- she's got the technical goods. For pairs, I just don't know. It's who does well at nationals. I don't see a clear front runner. Ice dance - Davis and White of course, along with the Shibutani's and Samuelson and Bates. It's going to come down to program choices for those second and third spots.

vCash
    I don't understand how Jeremy Abbott is a definitely for anyone. He's a total headcase with a known reputation for blowing it on the international stage. Why on earth would you send that?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by misskarne View Post
    I don't understand how Jeremy Abbott is a definitely for anyone. He's a total headcase with a known reputation for blowing it on the international stage. Why on earth would you send that?
    Because Abbott is just as capable of placing as high as any other US man on an international stage. He has outscored all of the other US men in PCS, and rightfully so. From my observations, when Abbott skates his best, he is without a doubt podium bound. When the other US men skate their best, they are not as likely to podium.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by museksk8r View Post
    LOL, they both made multiple mistakes to place top 2 at 2013 Nationals before even going to Worlds to earn that 3rd spot. The current competition in the US ladies isn't that deep that skaters have to be clean/near clean anymore. The US pairs competition is even worse.

The US men and ice dancing are the only really competitive events now at Nationals and making the Olympic and World teams for those 2 disciples will be really tough!
    I disagree. I don't think US Mens is that great at the moment. We can't even get a top 5 finish at Worlds anymore it seems. At least Gracie and Ashley finished in the top 6 and got 3 spots back something the men haven't done in the last 3 years. Other then the kids like Jason and Josh and maybe Aaron i don't see the older skaters every amounting to much internationally.

vCash
    The US Olympic team for ladies and men's singles for Sochi is really up in the air. I am rooting for both Lysacek and Nagasu to be on the roster but think it is more likely that Wagner, Gold, Abbott, and Aaron will be the ones to make the cut.

Excited for the Olympic season to begin!

vCash
    Men = Aaron, Miner (or Abbott if he doesn't have a melt-down)

Ladies = Wagner, Gold, Gao

Dance = D&W, C&B, the Shibutanis

Pairs = D&C, C&S, ? (honestly, don't know much about the pairs teams...)
    Last edited by dardar1126; 06-09-2013 at 11:37 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    There is no such thing as a sure thing when making the Olympic team. Grace could have a meltdown as she's done before or Ashley might have a bad night and not make the team. Not sure how the Shibutanis are a shoo-in to make the team and Chock/Bates aren't since C/B beat the Shibs at both Nationals and Worlds and being with Igor they will continue to improve while the Shibs keep falling.
    Unless there is someone actually good to send in place of Ashley and Gracie (i.e. someone who does well on the GP circuit), I think it's safe to say they are locks.
    Last edited by TheIronLady; 06-09-2013 at 08:12 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    I disagree. I don't think US Mens is that great at the moment. We can't even get a top 5 finish at Worlds anymore it seems. At least Gracie and Ashley finished in the top 6 and got 3 spots back something the men haven't done in the last 3 years. Other then the kids like Jason and Josh and maybe Aaron i don't see the older skaters every amounting to much internationally.
    The quality of skating at Nationals in the men's discipline the last 2 seasons has been infinitely better than the ladies discipline, which is the point I was making. The last 2 seasons it has been much more difficult to even make the international teams for the US men given the high quality of their skating at Nationals. The skating of the US ladies at Nationals has been of a much lower quality, thus allowing for all the mistakes we have seen amongst the podium finishers in that discipline over the last couple of seasons. I didn't say anything about how the US skaters have done internationally in my first post since this thread is about "which US skaters will make it to Sochi" (out of Nationals).

vCash
    Men -Miner and Aaron (possibly Lysacek in Aarons spot)
    Ladies-Wagner, Gold, Zawadski
    Dance- D/W, C/B, K/G-S
    Pairs- I don't know enough about pairs to guess

vCash
    I feel like Aaron, Dornbush, and Abbott are really the only guys strongly in contention for the Olympic spots to be honest. Farris, Lysacek, and Miner have outside shots but I don't see their odds as being that great unless two of the three I mentioned initially really mucks it up (very possible for Abbott and Dornbush, but I think the support of the USFS will help them) and one of these guys really brings it. With only 1 GP and avoiding the quad all last season I think Rippon's chances are pretty slim, Brown and Johnson have the quality but with the 3a being so new for them and both having yet to try a quad in competition, I think USFS would be cautious about sending either, and then anyone else with the goods to spoil the party, like Messing or Carriere, would really need a pipe dream to have it happen.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by museksk8r View Post
    The quality of skating at Nationals in the men's discipline the last 2 seasons has been infinitely better than the ladies discipline, which is the point I was making. The last 2 seasons it has been much more difficult to even make the international teams for the US men given the high quality of their skating at Nationals. The skating of the US ladies at Nationals has been of a much lower quality, thus allowing for all the mistakes we have seen amongst the podium finishers in that discipline over the last couple of seasons. I didn't say anything about how the US skaters have done internationally in my first post since this thread is about "which US skaters will make it to Sochi" (out of Nationals).
    I'm not quite sure I'd agree with that. I won't deny Abbott and Aaron gave strong performances to win their titles, but it's not as if all the medalists were clean - Miner, Abbott, Rippon, and Farris all made mistakes on their way to the national podium.

Secondly, I'd argue that while ladies might not be the best event for USA, it's still quite competitive because of who might show up on any given day. If it's slightly less competitive, that's because the ladies that went to worlds are better relative to the international field and earned that third spot, something that the American men couldn't do.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    I feel like Aaron, Dornbush, and Abbott are really the only guys strongly in contention for the Olympic spots to be honest. Farris, Lysacek, and Miner have outside shots but I don't see their odds as being that great unless two of the three I mentioned initially really mucks it up (very possible for Abbott and Dornbush, but I think the support of the USFS will help them) and one of these guys really brings it. With only 1 GP and avoiding the quad all last season I think Rippon's chances are pretty slim, Brown and Johnson have the quality but with the 3a being so new for them and both having yet to try a quad in competition, I think USFS would be cautious about sending either, and then anyone else with the goods to spoil the party, like Messing or Carriere, would really need a pipe dream to have it happen.
    So, you are figuring Dornbush has a better opportunity than Miner? I agree because Dornbush seemed to be ending his season a high note while the opposite occurred with Miner

vCash
    Someone above mentioned no American men in Top 5/Worlds. True, but Max Aaron was less than 2 points out of 5th; if he hadn't popped that second quad sal, he could have finished 5th imo.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by N_Halifax View Post
    For the men, I'm thinking definitely Jeremy Abbott and either Max Aaron, Ross Miner or Adam Rippon for that second spot. Josh Farris is awesome as well and you never know, he could certainly sneak in there, along with any number of really talented U.S. men's skaters. There's a ton of depth in U.S. men's skating right now so it will come down to who skates clean at Nationals. As for the ladies, I'm going to say Ashley Wagner and Gracie Gold, along with Christina Gao, Alissa Czisny or Agnes Zawadzki. My money is on Agnes -- she's got the technical goods. For pairs, I just don't know. It's who does well at nationals. I don't see a clear front runner. Ice dance - Davis and White of course, along with the Shibutani's and Samuelson and Bates. It's going to come down to program choices for those second and third spots.
    After not making the World team this year I don't believe Jeremy is a definite for anything least of all the Olympics. He has a good chance like the other top 5 guys. But that's it. A chance.

For the ladies, I hope it's Wagner, Nagasu, and Gold with Gao as alternate.

vCash
    I really don't know enough about Men or Pairs, but for the Ladies I'm thinking Wagner, Gold, and Gao. Gold I'd rather not send just yet because I think she still has a long ways to go until she truly matures but if she can have a repeat of Worlds then she'll be a huge benefit for the team competition. Same with Gao, she tends to be consistent and gives solid performances. Ice Dance should be D/W, C/B, and the Shibs.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bronwynsings View Post
    I really don't know enough about Men or Pairs, but for the Ladies I'm thinking Wagner, Gold, and Gao. Gold I'd rather not send just yet because I think she still has a long ways to go until she truly matures but if she can have a repeat of Worlds then she'll be a huge benefit for the team competition. Same with Gao, she tends to be consistent and gives solid performances. Ice Dance should be D/W, C/B, and the Shibs.
    You wouldn't send Gold just yet? She finished 6th at Worlds with a flawed LP. So just who are the 3 US girls good enough to finish higher then Gracie not just at Nationals but Worlds?

vCash
    I don't see Czisny making the US team either. Gold & Wagner are no brainers (unless one of them has a total meltdown at the nationals). I think the 3rd spot will go to either Nagasu or Gao, depending on how each skates at the nationals.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    I don't see Czisny making the US team either. Gold & Wagner are no brainers (unless one of them has a total meltdown at the nationals). I think the 3rd spot will go to either Nagasu or Gao, depending on how each skates at the nationals.
    I think the USFSA will closely be monitoring outcomes in the Fall by all of Gao, Nagasu and Zawadzki (just because the USFSA really seems to like her) and it may influence their judging at Nationals. Regarding Czisny, I still think she has a shot but I don't recall, does she have 1 or 0 assignment on the GP this Fall??

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast