Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Recovering from the Olys
    vCash

Post 2013 U.S. Club Competition info, news, results, general discussion, etc.

The club (non-qualifying) competition season is underway in the U.S. and here, once again, is a general thread for all comp. information, news, results, discussion, links, and so on. Specific event threads can be created eventually for the bigger club competitions such as Broadmoor Open, Liberty, Skate Detroit, Lake Placid Dance, Glacier Falls, Golden West, etc.

Unseen Skaters Online's "Scoretracker" is entering its sixth year as an unofficial resource for U.S. club competitions. Scores have been updated based on all available results known to date through May 31, 2013 for USFS Juvenile-Senior level singles competitors and pair teams, plus for skaters that have competed, or are likely to compete, internationally for other countries: http://unseenskaters.wordpress.com/scoretracker/
    Corrections, additions and/or feedback are welcomed via the blog or here in this thread.

The "Top Ten" known scores at each level in singles (except for Senior/Junior Men as most have yet to compete): http://unseenskaters.wordpress.com/top-ten/

Here's the link to a chronological list of U.S. club competitions by month with known online results through May and info links updated regularly: http://unseenskaters.wordpress.com/competitions/

ETA a few notes gleaned from the competitions so far:

Polina Edmunds skated her Senior FS at her club's competition, Spring Jubilee, on her 15th birthday and scored 101.22 points (no detailed protocol available). For reference, she had scored 107.76 in her winning Junior FS to "Solveig's Song" and "Morning Mood" from Edvard Grieg's Peer Gynt Suite (new program) at Gardena Spring Trophy in Italy in early April.

2 other skaters in USFS' International Selection Pool (ISP) had notable short program scores at Skate Dallas in late April -- Ashley Cain (50.41 in Senior) and Barbie Long (58.29 in Junior). Cain reportedly attempted 3F+3T for the first time in competition and Long landed 3Lz+3T, 3Lo & 2A. The next competition for both will be the Broadmoor Open at the end of this month.

At this point, the second highest known Senior Ladies FS score of the early club competition season is by Panthers FSC's Franchesca Chiera (96.01) with 4 clean triples landed at the Florida Open in early April: 3Lz+2T, 3F+2T, 3Lz<, 3F, 3Lo+2Lo+2Lo<, 2A, 1S. Chiera, who will turn 16 in October and is coached by Artem Torgashev and Ilona Melnichenko in Coral Springs, Florida, had placed 5th in a competitive field of Novice Ladies at 2013 South Atlantic Regionals in October 2012. Her Senior FS at the Florida Open was to Gershwin's "Rhapsody in Blue": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ts8Y3GxZR5o

Emmanuel Savary, who withdrew from the Senior Men's event at Easterns last November, returned to competition in April at Cherry Blossom. He apparently is back with his previous coaches at the Univ. of Delaware - Jeff DiGregorio and Ron Ludington.

More notes to come later on some of the upcoming competitions.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 06-01-2013 at 07:43 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    News from last weekend's competitions:

Vanessa Lam began her season at the All Year FSC Open in Ontario, Calif. and scored a total of 161.81 total (highest club comp. total score among all the ladies so far; hearsay info is that she landed 6 clean triples in her 110.47-point FS, plus 2A+2A fall). All results: http://allyearfsc.com/2013/05/2013-a...ing-club-open/

From someone who saw his programs skated in exhibition at Seattle SC's Ice Fest, Keegan Messing is keeping his "Sing Sing Sing" SP choreographed last season by Rory Flack Burghart, and has a new FS to The Mask of Zorro soundtrack (choreographer not yet known). Messing reportedly landed 3A, 4T fall, 3Lz+2T in his SP and 4T, 3A, with a fall on the 2nd 3A in his new FS. Results have yet to be published online. Clips of his 4T and 3A with the "Zorro" music: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viCjKhhiEKM

This weekend's competitions include:

Wheaton, MD dance teams that registered to compete at the Edward G. Picken Pro-Am Dance Classic in Ashburn, VA starting today: http://www.pickenproam.com/

SR: Gamelin/Gamelin S11 at Nationals
    JR: Parsons/Parsons J-wd (JGP), Pogrebinsky/Gudis J5 (JGP)
    NOV: Becker/Becker N4, Gropman/Somerville Int1, Sletten/Verburg Int3
    INT: Green/Green Juv1, Emma Gunter/Caleb Wein (new team)

Hopefully there will be news on the inaugural Fort Wayne Pair Classic competition (and National Pairs Camp) in Fort Wayne, Indiana posted in the U.S. Pairs thread in GSD. Donlan/Speroff, Kayne/O'Shea and Baga/Toth are scheduled to debut their short programs there tonight.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 06-07-2013 at 05:56 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    What impresses me about Wheaton is the number and quality of boys in ice dancing. They must be the envy of other clubs.

I am very taken by little Ian Somerville. I think he will be a star.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    @LynnRutherford tweeted these Fort Wayne Pair Classic Senior SP scores from last night:

"Gretchen Donlan/Andrew Speroff 56.95, Kiri Baga/Taylor Toth 46.61, Tarah Kayne/Danny O'Shea 46.50"

From the ongoing discussion in the U.S. Pairs thread: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...=1#post3936032
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloudy_Gumdrops View Post
    Found Donlan/Speroff's SP on YT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmI2cgOQ7-s

The sbs jump was landed, but the unison was off and hers looks possibly ur. Gorgeous program.
    Their music is "Meditation from Thais" by Jules Massenet, choreographed by Sheryl Franks.

Baga/Toth's "Be Italian" (choreo by Rohene Ward): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTikyNV6QGo

Kayne/O'Shea's James Bond medley incl. "From Russia with Love" (choreo by Jim Peterson): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-7o0cL7M_k

ETA Novice Pairs SP scores from yesterday:
    1. Knoop/Chinault 31.40
    2. Bertsch/Hale 28.65
    3. Gillett/Fernandez 28.44
    4. Gallagher/Horton 28.09
    5. Burke/Schwab 24.56
    6. LaChance/Anderson 24.11
    Last edited by Sylvia; 06-09-2013 at 01:37 AM.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jun Y View Post
    What impresses me about Wheaton is the number and quality of boys in ice dancing. They must be the envy of other clubs.

I am very taken by little Ian Somerville. I think he will be a star.
    Looking forward to your report/impressions of the Picken dance competition!

Novice Pattern Dance results (3 combined):
    1. Gropman/Somerville 28(?) - 1st in all 3 dances
    2. Becker/Becker 21 - 2nd in first 2, 3rd in 3rd
    3. Sletten/Verburg 19 - 3rd in first 2, 2nd in 3rd

vCash
    Edward Picken Pro Am Saturday 6/8.

Senior free dance: Danielle Gamelin & Alexander Gamelin. Costumes: Very beautiful black costumes with gold embroidery on both (her dress had a few other colors too). Kudos to whoever designed/made them. Music: some middle eastern music I do not recognize (not "The Feeling Begins"). First half slow and sensual. Second half fast with mostly drums. A lot of intricate and ornate handholds and fairly intricate transitions going into lifts. I like the choreography. They were still getting use to it. FD score 59.59.

Novice free dance:
    1. Gigi Becker and Luca Becker. Costumes: Purple and Silver on both. Music: Bee Gees medley. Overall well done in all aspects with slight bobble during the circular steps. They were first in FD (49.02).

2. Gwen Sletten & Eliot Verburg. Costumes: Blue dress for her, khaki GI uniform for him. Music: Jazz and Swing. They have fast and well centered dance spins in both directions. She is very spunky and cute. Unfortunately she fell on the Twizzles sequence. They were third in FD (44.08).

3. Eliana Gropman & Ian Somerville: Costumes: She wore a pink and white dress. He was in black shirt and black pants. Music: A bluesy song that might be sung by Beyonce in the first half and a country-ish song in second half. I don't know either. They had clean, smooth edges and excellent, mature (I'm laughing when I type this word) expression. The lifts are all strong as well. Unfortunately she fell on the twizzles, which cost them dearly in the technical scores. They were 2nd in the FD (44.43).

In yesterday afternoon's novice pattern dances, Sletten & Verburg were 1st in the American Kilian pattern (fast!), but the score sheet disappeared and I couldn't find it again. Gropman & Somerville had 1st place in the other 3 patterns. Their Starlight Waltz was . So good!
    Last edited by Jun Y; 06-09-2013 at 02:11 AM.

vCash
    Picken Pro Am 6/8 continued:

Junior free dance had Pogrebinsky & Gudis, McNamara & Carpenter, the Parsons, Marcha Kiatrungrit & Bradley Lawrence. None of the Wheaton teams skated short dance, so we have to wait till Chesapeake. I did not see Whitney Miller and Kyle McMillan. Did they break up?

I had a call at the start of the junior FD event and missed the first team.

2. Lorraine McNamara & Quinn Carpenter. Costume: Burgundy or dark red dress with black tights for her and white shirt, burgundy vest, and black pants for him. Music: Sherlock Holmes movie soundtrack and the waltz from The Godfather soundtrack. Both had mandolin elements, so I guess that's the "tie" between the segments. I don't quite get the "story" or theme of this program. Excellent speed and edges. Very difficult lifts; they were done so fast that they scared me at times. Twizzles completed but still needed a bit more work.

3. Rachael & Michael Parsons. The good news is Rachael hasn't grown taller since last year. The bad news is neither has Michael. I do worry about them. Costume: She had on a white dress; he had all black. Music: A mostly lyrical (I would guess modern) piano piece with faster techno beat in the second half. They skated fast and aggressively, but the blades were a bit scratchy. Twizzles nicely done with interesting arm positions. Their final lift failed. So I guess they would not have been placed ahead of McNamara/Carpenter.

4. Marcha Kiatrungrit & Bradley Lawrence. Costume: Wine color for both with flowers on her skirt. Apparently purple is the theme at Wheaton this year. Music: Heavy beats, almost like the instrumental parts of rap music. This is obviously a new team and it shows. A lot of the unison and partnership flaws can be addressed as they continue to skate together. She has strong skating skills and very solid twizzles. I'm impressed.

Sorry I did not stay for the junior FD scores.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash

Junior free dance had Pogrebinsky & Gudis, McNamara & Carpenter, the Parsons, Marcha Kiatrungrit & Bradley Lawrence. None of the Wheaton teams skated short dance, so we have to wait till Chesapeake. I did not see Whitney Miller and Kyle McMillan. Did they break up?
    Yes, Miller/MacMillan have split - both had profiles up on IPS earlier this year and he still is listed there. Kiatrungrit is new to ice dance from singles. Thanks a LOT for sharing your detailed observations. I really should start a U.S. Dance off season news thread in GSD and direct interested folks to your reports here! (ETA: I just started one - link: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...es-Summer-2013 )
    Last edited by Sylvia; 06-09-2013 at 05:02 AM.

vCash
    Thanks, Sylvia. If K&C area is only open till the end of June, most people (me included) won't see the updates about Lake Placid.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    If K&C area is only open till the end of June, most people (me included) won't see the updates about Lake Placid.
    I think LPIDC updates/highlights also will end up being posted in the U.S. Dance news thread in GSD.

Junior free dance had Pogrebinsky & Gudis, McNamara & Carpenter, the Parsons, Marcha Kiatrungrit & Bradley Lawrence. None of the Wheaton teams skated short dance, so we have to wait till Chesapeake.
    Chesapeake Open will be the first major ice dance competition of the summer because the ice camp will be held there again.

All 3 of the Wheaton teams likely to return to the JGP (McNamara/Carpenter, Parsons/Parsons, Pogrebinsky/Gudis) are scheduled to compete there, along with Moore/Klaber (J4) and the top 3 Novice teams from Nationals in the ISP -- Lewis/Bye, Patsis/Johnson, Wren/Shchepetov. I'm compiling a list of notable singles and dance entries and will post it later.

ETA:
    Senior Ladies: Isadora Williams (BRA), Maria Yang J9, Franchesca Chiera, Jessica Hu, Clara Peters (IRL - SP only), Melanie Chang (TPE)
    Senior Men: Emmanuel Savary, Alex Zahradnicek (FRA)
    Junior Ladies: Brianna Laxson J8, Brynne McIsaac N10
    Junior Men: Oleksiy Melnyk N2

Sr Dance: Gamelin/Gamelin S11, Kseniya Ponomaryova/Oleg Altukhov S14, Schmucker/Munday(?) (a new team), Morrell-Zucker/Sitiks
    Jr Dance (in addition to the JGP-eligible teams listed above): Lucas/Kazansky N6, Leonesio/Chambers N9, Gaughan/Lithco N11, Day/Leahy P-J6
    Nov Dance: Becker/Becker N4, Gourianova/Petrov N5, Sletten/Verburg Int3, Lustig/Milestone Int4; NEW - Danielle Thomas/Alexander Martin, Maeve Pascoe/Micah Jaffe, Abbey Isaacson/Scott Dudley, Kylie Mann/Wolfgang Ebersole, Karina Manta/?

Chesapeake Open dates are June 20-22, 2013, at The Gardens Ice House in Laurel, MD - directions to the rink: http://thegardensicehouse.pointstrea...-and-locations
    Last edited by Sylvia; 06-09-2013 at 11:20 PM. Reason: See Debbie S's post below about the new Sr dance team of Schmucker/Mager

vCash
    Chesapeake Open schedule is now posted: http://comp.entryeeze.com/Home.aspx?cid=293

Team dance events are Thursday afternoon, Friday morning and afternoon, and Saturday morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Sr Dance: Gamelin/Gamelin, Schmucker/Munday(?), Morrell-Zucker/Sitiks
    I believe it is now Schmucker/(Travis) Mager.

vCash
    Thanks, Debbie, for the link to the schedule. Junior and Senior short dances will be on Friday afternoon. I don't think I can make it.

vCash
    Any infomration about who will be skating for Broadmoor Open?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Debbie S View Post
    Chesapeake Open schedule is now posted: http://comp.entryeeze.com/Home.aspx?cid=293

Team dance events are Thursday afternoon, Friday morning and afternoon, and Saturday morning.

Wow! I didn't know Travis Mager was skating again. I was thinking that he had moved on. So glad to see him back competing.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YukiNieve View Post
    Any infomration about who will be skating for Broadmoor Open?
    Jason Brown plans to debut his new "Riverdance" FS in the Senior Men's event scheduled on Saturday night, June 29: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...=1#post3938259
    His choreographer, Rohene Ward, also plans to compete in the Senior Men's SP and Jumps competition. Ashley Cain (Sr Ladies) has mentioned on Twitter that she will compete and I heard Barbie Long (Jr Ladies) will be there again this year.

The full roster isn't made available online, and I usually rely on people who are able to obtain a copy of the printed program book at the competition. I've heard that Local Motion Productions will offer a live and on-demand webcast again (~$25 in the past). I can start a separate competition thread for 2013 Broadmoor Open if/when I get some additional roster information.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 06-12-2013 at 06:36 PM.

vCash
    Thanks, Sylvia!

Title-less
    vCash
    I just got the email from Wheatdesigns re: Broadmoor Open. If I pay by the 26th I only pay 20. After that it is 22.5

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    My latest hearsay info is that they have split and Mager has decided to move on from competitive skating.

ETA:
    From someone who saw his programs skated in exhibition at Seattle SC's Ice Fest, Keegan Messing is keeping his "Sing Sing Sing" SP choreographed last season by Rory Flack Burghart, and has a new FS to The Mask of Zorro soundtrack (choreographer not yet known). Messing reportedly landed 3A, 4T fall, 3Lz+2T in his SP and 4T, 3A, with a fall on the 2nd 3A in his new FS. Results have yet to be published online. Clips of his 4T and 3A with the "Zorro" music: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viCjKhhiEKM
    Messing scored 74.33 (SP), 125.74 (FS), 200.07 total in his exhibition at Ice Fest - I've added him to the Top Ten page: http://unseenskaters.wordpress.com/top-ten/
    Last edited by Sylvia; 06-16-2013 at 11:17 PM.

U.S. Ice Dance Junkie
    vCash
    Any word if there will be a live stream of the Boston Open again this year? Looks like Donlan/Speroff and Baga/Toth are competing in pairs and Baga and Siraj in the ladies event.
    My Blog - Author & Figure Skating Fanatic
    LIFE ON THE EDGE - my skating novel
    EDGE OF THE PAST - the sequel
    FIGHTING FOR THE EDGE - the final book in the trilogy
    ****CROSSING THE ICE - new book coming Fall 2014!****

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TanithandBenFan View Post
    Any word if there will be a live stream of the Boston Open again this year?
    Yes, I heard that the same company, EVS, again will provide a free, live stream that won't be archived.

Looks like Donlan/Speroff and Baga/Toth are competing in pairs and Baga and Siraj in the ladies event.
    Baga/Toth are doing SP and Donlan/Speroff are debuting their FS (Pas de Deux from the Nutcracker). I think Baga is only doing Senior Ladies FS. Yasmin Siraj and Stephen Carriere are making their season debuts here. I can start a separate event thread with more details before the competition starts on Friday.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast