View Poll Results: Which lady had weakest overall average level competiion while on top in primes

Voters
196. You may not vote on this poll
  • Anett Pootosh

27 13.78%
  • Michelle Kwan

51 26.02%
  • Kim Yu Na

16 8.16%
  • Irina Slutskaya

6 3.06%
  • Rosalynn Summer

11 5.61%
  • Katarina Witt

5 2.55%
  • Kristi Yamaguchi

2 1.02%
  • Midori Ito

2 1.02%
  • Oksana Baiul

37 18.88%
  • Dorothy Hamill

15 7.65%
  • Peggy Fleming

16 8.16%
  • Trixi Schubert

8 4.08%
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Thanks for correction.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by museksk8r View Post
    This, for instance, is hysterical, as I don't even know what it means, but the simple thought that anyone thinks I'm a "bot" is funny.
    Well, I found it funny you lodged unfounded accusation on Yu-Na fans on a simple poll not really directly related to Yu-Na or her fans. Who's the first offender?

And, do you think a "bot" or a "hater" is that clearly differentiated in substance?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by munow View Post
    I must say I consider Asada, Kostner (when she is on) and Rochette tougher competition than Slutskaya, Cohen and Hughes (lol).
    I agree on this!!!! this era's skaters are not weaker than cohen or Hughes at all! her main rivals like Mao are definitly great, strong skaters
    Last edited by torren; 06-01-2013 at 05:20 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by torren View Post
    I agree on this!!!! this era's skaters are not weaker than cohen or Hughes at all! her main rivals like Mao are definitly great, strong skaters
    If that comforts you, fine. I disagree with the claim that the currently active ladies are more competitive, or comprehensively stronger, than the ones from a generation earlier.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by l'etoile View Post
    I absolutely echoe this. Totally baffled that there are people who even consider MK weak at any moment. Doesn't nine straight Worlds medals, FIVE GOLDS among them, say anything? Besides, MK executed more 7-triple LPs than most of the most fierce competitors!
    Judging by OP's rationale for her choice of Anett Poetsch, I think the question is intended to be who faced the weakest field of competitors, not who had the weakest performance during their competitive career. Although, people seem to be interpreting the question both ways.

I still wouldn't choose Kwan, the few times she had flawed performances she did not win. Two major competitions (96 Worlds and 98 Olympics) were hair-splittingly close. I think her dominance of a decade was due to her amazing consistency, not weak competition.
    Last edited by aliceanne; 06-01-2013 at 06:17 PM.

vCash
    BTW, you're too a J-bot, right? I find these loaded poll questions, not just this one but the one(s) you started, apparently aiming to be implicit but funnily apparent, somewhat typical of the kind.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lowtherlore View Post
    If that comforts you, fine. I disagree with the claim that the currently active ladies are more competitive, or comprehensively stronger, than the ones from a generation earlier.

So Do you think this era's ladies competitors like Mao, Ando, Kostner are weaker than Cohen or Huhges?? Particulary Mao who is no.2 in this era is weaker than slutzkaya, cohen???

vCash

So Do you think this era's ladies competitors like Mao, Ando, Kostner are weaker than Cohen or Huhges?? Particulary Mao who is no.2 in this era is weaker than slutzkaya, cohen???
    Yes. Technically, Slutskaya was stronger. Performance wise, Cohen was stronger. It's of course my opinion. Do you find it funny?

vCash
    Why are you accusing other posters of being a "J-Bot?"

vCash
    The pollster's phrasing (not to mention spelling, of course) is a real hash of a mess (especially since different interpretations are possible), but who cares!?

It's the off-season!

Quote Originally Posted by TheIronLady View Post
    I vote for Rosalynn Summer. Her last name is a beautiful season.
    Very funny. Maybe it should have been "Rosalynn Winter," and maybe then she would have beat Witt?

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    Trixi Schubert? I loved her Rosamunde Short Program.

ETA: Given that these ladies were all on top, would someone please send me a PM and let me know who was on bottom?

Forget that last request! I wanna see a vid of Schubert's Rosamunde!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OA-QjmP_ZyM

Uhhh?! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCk8tt6gfAY Well, I doubt Trixi herself ever woulda shined in Rosamunde judging by this weak, labored interpretation of another composer's music. Ummm, wow at 1:50 timing to the music. And that hairstyle!? That must be what was weighing her down.

ETA:
    The comment by the youtube poster shows that the poster isn't familiar with more accomplished freestyle skaters of that era. But sure, skating has changed, just not necessarily in every respect for the better.

BTW, which skaters (singles, pairs or dance) could do Rosamunde justice?
    Last edited by aftershocks; 06-01-2013 at 07:08 PM.

vCash
    Yes. Technically, Slutskaya was stronger. Performance wise, Cohen was stronger. It's of course my opinion. Do you find it funny?
    This ladies field is not weaker at all than the ones from a generation earlier. There are many great competitors, especially Mao. The rivaly Kim vs Asada was not low level

i know you are a kim's fan. then, why don't you agree with me that kim era's Ladies field was not weak???although this claim would be good for kim, too?
    Last edited by torren; 06-01-2013 at 07:08 PM.

with my Sestra Helena plotting how to ravish Hot Paul and delicious Cal
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    Given that these ladies were all on top, would someone please send me a PM and let me know who was on bottom?
    Bottoms are actually much tougher than tops.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    Why are you accusing other posters of being a "J-Bot?"
    Why not, tell me, when I have enough suspicion.

Is it good for any public forum when a certain group of posters keep posting obviously loaded poll questions and subsequent coalition posts over and over again? In the case of this thread, in an obvious attempt to create controversies/enmities among the fans of present and past skaters? Don't blame me. If you can't get it (although I think you do get it), look at muse****'s post #12 as an example. Let's not play innocent and ignorant.

vCash
    This ladies field is not weaker at all than the ones from a generation earlier. There are many great competitors, especially Mao. The rivaly Kim vs Asada was not low level

i know you are a kim's fan. then, why don't you agree with me that kim era's Ladies field was not weak???although this claim would be good for kim, too?
    Oh dear, my opinion has nothing to do with me being a Yu-Na fan.

with my Sestra Helena plotting how to ravish Hot Paul and delicious Cal
    vCash
    I'm so . I'm going to FSU jail.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by l'etoile View Post
    I absolutely echoe this. Totally baffled that there are people who even consider MK weak at any moment. Doesn't nine straight Worlds medals, FIVE GOLDS among them, say anything? Besides, MK executed more 7-triple LPs than most of the most fierce competitors!
    This thread isnt about weakest skater. It is about who had the weakest competition. I voted for Michelle for that. Besides Tara in 1997-1998 and Irina in 2001-2002 there was nobody who could challenge her at all during her prime from 1996-2004. Including Tara in 1997 is even generous since Michelle was so depressed with her own disaesterous skating at the time she was crying endlessly and called it her coma, and Tara still had to skate perfectly with loads of triple-triples to barely beat her, and even then with some controversy.

Listing ones achievements being so high only makes it more likely they had weaker competition. While in rare instance someone compiles one of the best records ever even with stronger competition, the likelihood of greater achievements and dominance is made higher by poorer competition, so listing how much Kwan has achieved only makes it more likely even if not a guarantee, her competition was probably poorer.

vCash
    Asada is a superior skater to Slutskaya. She was beating Slutskaya when she was underaged for Worlds and Olympics and Slutskaya was at her peak. Technically stronger, no. Mao does triple axels which Irina never went near, and does triple-triples much more consistently than Irina did too. She also has better spins probably, and much better spirals. Granted technical they are atleast closer than in artistic where Irina is one of the poorest ever World Champions.

Cohen gets lower PCS in her prime than Asada usually gets the last 5 years, so I wouldnt say she is stronger in performance, and in technique she is poor for any top 6 level skater in any random time period, let alone compared to Kim and Asada, two all time great technical skaters.

Asada > Slutskaya
    Kostner or Ando > Cohen
    Ando or Rochette >> Hughes, Butyrskaya, whoever is left of Kwan's competition that lasted more than 13 months

vCash
    Why not, tell me, when I have enough suspicion.

Is it good for any public forum when a certain group of posters keep posting obviously loaded poll questions and subsequent coalition posts over and over again? In the case of this thread, in an obvious attempt to create controversies/enmities among the fans of present and past skaters? Don't blame me. If you can't get it (although I think you do get it), look at muse****'s post #12 as an example. Let's not play innocent and ignorant.
    I was very unpleasant to that post, too. but she is not Japanese surely.
    I hope that some posters don't make more controversy which is not related with the title of thread, regardless of who's fault
    Last edited by karlon; 06-01-2013 at 07:29 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kuzytalent View Post
    This thread isnt about weakest skater. It is about who had the weakest competition. I voted for Michelle for that. Besides Tara in 1997-1998 and Irina in 2001-2002 there was nobody who could challenge her at all during her prime from 1996-2004.
    Maybe it's because she was too good for the others !
    You have to compare entire fields, not just winners. The fact that the winner was clearly superior to the others doesn't make the field weak ! LOL

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    The people who voted for MK .... Um... did they understand the question being asked? Michelle had fierce competitions with the likes of Chen Lu, Irina , Maria, Sasha, Tara and Sarah, among others.
    Irina yes was competition. Tara was for 13 months, which would have been 0-2 months had Kwan not driven herself to tears and a coma by her own words with her worst ever skating in 1997. The rest? Not. Lu Chen was Michelle's competition for 1 event- 1996 Worlds. Maria was competition for Michelle if she fell 4 or 5 times. Sarah pretty much the same. Sasha maybe could have been competition but cant keep herself from falling over and over.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast