Thread: Retiring music

vCash

Retiring music

As skating evolves, and this has been touched on with the whole Jenny and Dave thing about "new blood" in the sport of figure skating, I have a question. Now forgive me if this has been asked, but with the overuse of certain classical music pieces, should certain pieces of music be retired? If yes, which ones?

I know this is a very broad topic because one competitor could do masterful things with it and the next could totally bomb and make it look horrible, but with singles skaters being able to use music with lyrics in the coming seasons, what do you think?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by twizzlesizzle View Post
    As skating evolves, and this has been touched on with the whole Jenny and Dave thing about "new blood" in the sport of figure skating, I have a question. Now forgive me if this has been asked, but with the overuse of certain classical music pieces, should certain pieces of music be retired? If yes, which ones?

I know this is a very broad topic because one competitor could do masterful things with it and the next could totally bomb and make it look horrible, but with singles skaters being able to use music with lyrics in the coming seasons, what do you think?
    Personally, I don't think any piece of music should be retired. I understand how some pieces of music are so indelibly tied to one skater, that other skaters might feel intimidated to use that piece of music (i.e. Bolero and Moonlight Sonata). But, even in this case, I don't favor retiring certain pieces of music. For example, I really enjoyed C&S's Bolero for the 2006 Olympics, it wasn't suppose to compete with T&D's Bolero, and IMO, they did a great job with it.

As for retiring music because they're overused (your Swan Lakes, Nutcrakers, etc.), I don't favor that either. I do appreciate skaters/choreographers/coaches who pick unusual and underused (at least in the skating world) music, but i don't think retiring certain pieces of music is the answer to a lack of diversity with regards to music in skating. The question that would emerge of course would be exactly what pieces are retired? After a while, the "new" pieces will start to become overused, will they also get retired?

I am curious to see how many skaters opt to go for lyrical music in the first year they're allowed too, and how many opt to keep vocalization out for at least the first year or two?

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Once Torville and Dean performed to Bolero, there's been no need for any other skater to touch that piece.
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

Kostner Softie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Once Torville and Dean performed to Bolero, there's been no need for any other skater to touch that piece.
    maybe one need

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    but many did, and created their own interpretations of it. Nothing wrong with it.

vCash
    if by retired you mean we wouldn't have to hear it for say 10-20 years. yes. if by retired you mean it was skated so brilliantly by ____ that no one else could do it better, no

YEAH!
    vCash
    It's hard to even define "piece of music." There are parts of Swan Lake, Nutcracker, and even Carmen that are used less often, as well as new arrangements of the best known pieces ranging from techno to flamenco. What about S&S' LP from last year to Bolero? The version they used (while not everyone's favorite) was very different from T&D's. Then there are skaters who come up with new or different versions of the classic stories using the traditional music, sometimes with off-ice choreographers coming in (such as V&M's Carmen, V&V's Swan Lake with one slipper, Laurent Tobel or Besedin/Polischuk's comic versions).

I definitely appreciate new ideas, like S&S' Pina or the many French skaters who have the music specially composed for them, but some programs to new music are truly terrible (such as I&K's Ghost and their Ave Maria which no one else had used), or just boring.

I wouldn't want to retire music, but I would like to see innovation rewarded. PCS being used correctly in the IN, TR, and CH marks would help, although I guess they wouldn't be judging on the music per se, but the innovation and difficulty of the choreography and how it goes with the music. Sometimes though, they do go hand in hand perfectly (Pina).

And aside from all that, I like most of the classic skating tunes.

Banned Member
    vCash
    "Many skaters attempt new and different music. But there is no substitute for the classics, there is no substitute for beauty..."

--Toller Cranston describing Janet Lynn skating to "The Blue Danube" in 1982

vCash
    Anything chosen by Igor Shpilband. Banal.

https://www.google.com/search?q=bana...l=np&source=hp