• Emmerich Danzer

3 1.36%
  • Evan Lysacek

39 17.65%
  • Viktor Petrenko

3 1.36%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

vCash
    We SHOULD run a poll on ourselves - WHO IS THE MOST PURPLE POSTER!
    Winner's prize.
    Last edited by spikydurian; 06-02-2013 at 12:10 AM.
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Accordion View Post
    Just what we need - one more thread to confirm the venom towards Patrick. I know that is not how it was intended but...
    Oh, I'm SURE it wasn't! Not with such valid options as Vladimir Kovalev, Wolfgang Schwarz and Emmerich Danzer for us to choose from.
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    I have to disagree and agree on a few points here. I think it's great to include skaters like Kovalev, Schwarz and Danzer - if you don't get those skaters names out there, their stories won't be exposed to a new generation.

I am far from an Elvis Stojko fan but I certainly appreciated his technical ability, determination and persistance (sometimes skating through some pretty ridiculously painful injuries). I agree that with the underscoring in the early 90's .vs. the overscoring in the latter half, it kind of balances out. I wouldn't have him on this list.

I know I'm going to get jumped on, but do you know who I always thought was overscored? Young Irina Slutskaya. The hunched shoulders, the telegraphed lutz entry... she turned into a completely different skater around 2000, but her 1995-1998 results were a little much I think. That's just me. I feel like my friend Joe, who's a huge Irina Slutskaya fan is just around the corner waiting to yell at me for saying this... haha.

vCash
    I would never in a million years have included Irina Slutskaya on the list of most overscored skaters in Men's Singles.

En el trabajo en mi obra maestra, "Bodegón de rosas, las toronjas y el Planetario", que se llevará algún tiempo.
    vCash
    Ulrich Salchow. He should've been a nine-time World Champion at the very most.
    I can call the moon a pear, but it doesn't make it so. -- kwanfan1818

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Oh, I'm SURE it wasn't! Not with such valid options as Vladimir Kovalev, Wolfgang Schwarz and Emmerich Danzer for us to choose from.
    Quote Originally Posted by N_Halifax View Post
    I have to disagree and agree on a few points here. I think it's great to include skaters like Kovalev, Schwarz and Danzer - if you don't get those skaters names out there, their stories won't be exposed to a new generation.
    Why would these three be on the list? Were they uniquely overscored in their day?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Proustable View Post
    Why would these three be on the list? Were they uniquely overscored in their day?
    Apparently according to Wiki, Vladmimir Kovalev was seen as overscored.

Kovalev placed second behind his British rival John Curry at the 1976 Winter Olympics. However, Kovalev's short and free programs were filled with mistakes and the audience was displeased when the results were announced that he had placed ahead of such skaters as Toller Cranston and Jan Hoffmann. Kovalev went on to win the gold at the World Championships in 1977 and 1979, and he was also the winner of the European Championships in 1975.

En el trabajo en mi obra maestra, "Bodegón de rosas, las toronjas y el Planetario", que se llevará algún tiempo.
    vCash
    The judge from Czechoslovakia who placed Curry ahead of Kovalev overall at 1976 Euros is a minor hero of mine.
    I can call the moon a pear, but it doesn't make it so. -- kwanfan1818

vCash
    Kovalev was definitely overscored. IMO he didnt deserve either of his World titles (even considering figures), his Olympic silver in 1976, and many of the medals he won. He probably would have been my 2nd choice behind Chan.

vCash
    First, I have to be honest and admit I can't really jugde how overscored/underscored some of these skaters are, since some of them were... well, before 'my time' as a skating fan. Of course I know these names, but I definitly don't know a lot about the older competitions, the scoring there, and so on.

I just thought I'd jump in and state that while I was one to speak against some of Chans results and against him being dominant as a skater - I think he doesn't 'deserve to win' this poll. Let alone Lysacek was a lot more overscored to me than Chan could ever be. With Chan, at least there are his amazing SS, huge jumps, the quads... I don't agree with the scoring, but there are points speaking for Chan. With Lysacek, it still feels like someone wants to tell me 1 +1 = 5 or I just missed the magic trick that can make 'average' look like 'awesome'. Yes, Lysacek was often clean, but honestly... that's it.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Proustable View Post
    This is a gag thread. They are actually nuclear scientists.
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Li'Kitsu View Post
    ... Yes, Lysacek was often clean, but honestly... that's it.
    Well, you have to admit, that's something.

Notwithstanding the craziness of this thread and the wacky intent of the thread-starter (firestarter), it's probably not fair to pick on Evan Lysacek, just as Chan fans feel it's unfair to pick on Patrick.

Evan is not the most interesting of skaters sure (except for those who love him), and he was favored at times in the scoring (some occasions over Johnny and a startling instance over Matt Savoie, looking back one year at U.S. Nats). However, most of the time, Evan was a never-say-die, fierce competitor with a great coach and full backing by his fed. I believe Evan has always been aware of his shortcomings against some of his peers, but he has never allowed that to stop him. He's been an overachiever through sheer hard work and determination. And unlike Chan, Evan majorly managed to stay on his feet.

Strangely enough, Evan may be a more interesting dancer than a skater (perhaps because of having a partner to interact with). He might have been a very good pairs skater.

Yep, Evan wins the PURPLE crown, and I suppose Patrick Chan will be out front in yet another worthless trumped-up poll. In any case, in view of how well Patrick is usually scored with multiple mistakes, if Patrick skated mostly clean in the way that Evan has, Patrick would be on another planet with no one ever having a bat's chance in hell of catching up to him.

If nothing else, at least the thread-starter is having a blast.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    Stojko should not even be on the poll. He was definitely overscored often from 1997-2000, but he was also underscored often from 1991-1994 so it basically evens out. Even if he is a somewhat overscored skater, there are so many in history, and he wouldnt crack the top 10 to be worthy of the poll, let alone to be top 3 in a poll like this.
    Not to mention, he was underscored near the end of his career (mostly in 2002), when you could sense that the judges just wanted him to retire. I think he deserved slightly higher scores than he got at the 2002 Olympics, for sure, although I'll admit he was a bit slow during his programs.

vCash
    Evan is dull other than from an athletic perspective. I like Evan's body and power. His long body is interesting to watch lift and rotate. I would say his jumps are technically amazing given his height, and his spins are strong.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    Kovalev was definitely overscored. IMO he didnt deserve either of his World titles (even considering figures), his Olympic silver in 1976, and many of the medals he won. He probably would have been my 2nd choice behind Chan.
    Did you watch the competitions live?
    If Judgejudy is the JUDGE of figure skating, there will be no overscoring. ISU judges ..... Judgejudy to replace them all!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Li'Kitsu View Post
    First, I have to be honest and admit I can't really jugde how overscored/underscored some of these skaters are, since some of them were... well, before 'my time' as a skating fan. Of course I know these names, but I definitly don't know a lot about the older competitions, the scoring there, and so on.

I just thought I'd jump in and state that while I was one to speak against some of Chans results and against him being dominant as a skater - I think he doesn't 'deserve to win' this poll. Let alone Lysacek was a lot more overscored to me than Chan could ever be. With Chan, at least there are his amazing SS, huge jumps, the quads... I don't agree with the scoring, but there are points speaking for Chan. With Lysacek, it still feels like someone wants to tell me 1 +1 = 5 or I just missed the magic trick that can make 'average' look like 'awesome'. Yes, Lysacek was often clean, but honestly... that's it.
    I would have picked Evan except I think the judges werent even expecting to give him the World and Olympic title he won. They saved plenty of room for Chan and Joubert in 2009, and Takahashi and Plushenko (and maybe Lambiel, although he was 6 points back at that point) to all beat him, but none of those skaters followed through by skating well and almost unexpectedly they were seen giving Evan the gold. That isnt to say Evan isnt still one of the most overscored skaters though, probably top 3.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheIronLady View Post
    Evan is dull other than from an athletic perspective. I like Evan's body and power. His long body is interesting to watch lift and rotate. I would say his jumps are technically amazing given his height, and his spins are strong.
    ^^ Agree. Maybe that's why he tried to promote an X-games approach to figure skating.

I think Evan showed very good talent as a dancer in his DWTS stint with Anna Trebunskaya:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bJEchVgqBo Argentine Tango

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CMate4X37c Paso Doble

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by falling_dance View Post
    Ulrich Salchow. He should've been a nine-time World Champion at the very most.
    Madge wuz so robbed!

vCash
    Chan, but at least he's really good when he skates well.
    Plush...I always thought he was stiff and robotic and had no artistry, so while I get the TES, the PCS not so much.
    Lysacek was a work horse and he actually was very musical and had complex programs, and his consistency also helped his PCS rise, so that side of his marks I actually get, but I don't understand how he was able to beat out so many talented jumpers when he didn't have a consistent quad and his 3a looked like a weird, over-rotated 3 salchow...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    Chan, but at least he's really good when he skates well.
    Plush...I always thought he was stiff and robotic and had no artistry, so while I get the TES, the PCS not so much.
    Lysacek was a work horse and he actually was very musical and had complex programs, and his consistency also helped his PCS rise, so that side of his marks I actually get, but I don't understand how he was able to beat out so many talented jumpers when he didn't have a consistent quad and his 3a looked like a weird, over-rotated 3 salchow...
    Sigh... How many Plushy's program have you seen? How many Plushy's protocoll have you seen? His PCS is also high. I'm a little bit tired of it, many members on FSU don't know the fact, don't want to watch his programs only repeat some false things like a parrot. Take the time to read ISU's data or Plushy's Wiki page. You will be surprised. For ex:

"At the age of 16, Plushenko was the youngest male skater to ever receive a perfect score of 6.0. He received a total of seventy five 6.0s before the new Code of Points judging system was introduced."
    And he got many of them in international competition for his presentation, most of them presentation marks. He was perfect, so I don't understand, who should have won????

Or this thread is about who is overrated? This is the FSU, so I'm not surprised, this is what I expected. Some vote for Plushy not too much, as opposed to thousands of fans who believe that he is the best skater ever.
    Last edited by lala; 06-02-2013 at 02:14 PM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast