3 1.36%
  • Evan Lysacek

39 17.65%
  • Viktor Petrenko

3 1.36%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Most overscored mens singles skater

Who do you consider the most overscored mens singles skater ever. I know alot will say Chan but I dont agree and think people are too hard on him. Granted he is somewhat overscored and won many titles he didnt deserve like the last Wolrlds but still not the worst ever. I think the most overscored ever is Elvis Stojko. Who do you think is.

vCash
    Tomas Verner came to mind first.

Comansnala?
    vCash
    Chan ...
    Lysacek, Stojko, Plushenko

vCash
    I voted for one who robbed others' medals the most... It is the most important thing
    Last edited by karlon; 06-01-2013 at 08:29 AM.

vCash
    Could someone please change my vote. I meant to vote Chan but voted Stojko by accident. Stojko shouldnt even be on this poll.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    Could someone please change my vote. I meant to vote Chan but voted Stojko by accident. Stojko shouldnt even be on this poll.
    No need to change your vote, JJ. It's expected from you.

Quote Originally Posted by karlon
    I voted for one who robbed others' medals the most... It is the most important thing
    The most important thing .....is what I like I can't get. I am being robbed.
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

vCash
    I voted for Chan.. didn't even look at the other options! Petrenko was occasionally overscored though. I noticed that he often won when he wasn't even close to clean, like Chan. I don't think Stojko or Plushenko were overscored at all, it's not like they were splat-festing like Chan. Lysacek wasn't overscored either, he just knew how to maximize his points by using what he did well.

with my Sestra Helena plotting how to ravish Hot Paul and delicious Cal
    vCash
    I was gonna go with Patrick, but then I saw Evan and had to go with him. At least with Patrick, I do see the quality of his actual skating skills, his speed, his transitions, and the quads when he does them well that make him stand out. Chan's programs are packed with difficulty. Nothing really stood out to me about Evan's skating; he was rather bland and laboured and wasn't attempting the most difficult elements in his prime.
    Last edited by museksk8r; 06-01-2013 at 04:09 PM.

vCash
    Just what we need - one more thread to confirm the venom towards Patrick. I know that is not how it was intended but...

And before anyone jumps down my throat about being an "oversensitive uber" - just step back and take a moment to OBJECTIVELY look at the number of threads that have turned into anti-Chan threads.

Yes there are those who objectively analyze him and find him "wanting". Yes there are those who keep it appropriate and specific about why they don't like him and/or his skating and or his results and/or the way he is judged and/or the IJS and its effects on the results in general - using him as the extreme example.

But if you are one of those people - surely you must realize there are also people who bash him whenever possible and blame him for things beyond his control.

Also - the one thing I have noticed about polls is that whoever is most in mind at the time gets the most votes. This goes for positive polls and negative polls. I know that is natural - but it makes the polls relatively useless because we know right away who is going to win/lose.

On another note - these decisions are also limited / affected by the fact that skaters these days are much more accessible. I am a huge HUGE fan of Kurt Browning but when he was competing we didn't have nearly as much access to the competitions. However, my understanding is that there were people who attended the Grand Prix events (before they were actually part of a Grand Prix) who said he was terribly gifted based on his reputation. I know Torvill and Dean (whom I also adore) were often scored on reputation and even received a 6.0 for a program with a clear stumble in it. But the thing is - we didn't have and don't have YOUTUBE footage of these competitions to be able to assess skaters through history.

And lastly - yeah I know this is the Trash Can and polls are meaningless. I am just getting a wee bit weary.

vCash
    The systematic overscoring of the clean or even messy all triple program with the 3/5 layout was absurd and was rightly altered.

vCash
    Stojko and Plushenko, on both marks really. Their jumps were impressive but they had mediocre spins. Their second marks were a joke most of the time.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Stojko and Plushenko, on both marks really. Their jumps were impressive but they had mediocre spins. Their second marks were a joke most of the time.
    What a Plushy hater you are...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Accordion View Post
    Just what we need - one more thread to confirm the venom towards Patrick. I know that is not how it was intended but...
    I guess the OP knew this thread would turn into another "Chan is overscored, Chan is a robber, ..."

vCash
    Basically as the poll shows so far:

Chan on his own level as most overscored ever

Lysacek and Stojko on the next level and far over all others in history

Then Hamilton, Plushenko, and maybe Browning as the next level of most overscored

There are many overscored skaters in history but those ones stand above the others in those particular levels. I feel most sorry for people like Takahashi who happened to peak during the days of Chan and Evan overscoring and should have 4 or 5 World and Olympic titles but only has 1.

I wouldnt vote for him but Joubert should have definitely been on the poll too.

vCash
    Chan without a doubt. The only World title he deserved was in 2011.

Lysacek got far higher PCS than he deserved. (Higher PCS than Takahashi in the Vancouver SP? Huh?) Stojko was a strong jumper, a pioneer in this field, so I thought he was undermarked occasionally but not too often.

vCash
    Stojko was never undermarked. He rode the wuzrobbed hype from the 1992 Olympics and milked it for all he was worth, including bullying judges to give him more scores by implying he was this big wuzrobbed skater in press conferences, when in fact he was overscored artistically and even more overscored technically most of the time. His attititude to the sport also sucks, always thrashing todays skaters. Even the ones who might deserve it like Chan, it is more taste for a former champion to do this publicly. If one could go back in time I bet the judges dont give him anywhere near the same medals and results again as they did then but oh well.

It is funny how the most overscored skaters often seem to be Canadian- Chan, Stojko, Sale and Pelletier, even Virtue and Moir sometimes. Maybe the Canadian federation is the strongest in the World over the last 30 years and not the Russians like many think.

vCash
    Much as I admire Stojko's daring and force, he was sometimes like the Annette Pootosh** of the 1990s. He had horrible posture.

**See Which lady had weakest competition during time on top
    Last edited by TheIronLady; 06-01-2013 at 08:59 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kuzytalent View Post
    It is funny how the most overscored skaters often seem to be Canadian- Chan, Stojko, Sale and Pelletier, even Virtue and Moir sometimes. Maybe the Canadian federation is the strongest in the World over the last 30 years and not the Russians like many think.
    ^^ Oh please, must we go down this road? Yes, Canada has a strong federation and Chan has been hugely over-scored at many events due to the judges' love for his SS and the way he mastered quads (despite his not having as strong a 3-axel). Yes, the judges tended to over-reward Stojko post-1994 Olympics to make up for the Olympic slight. But Elvis was a great skater with the power of his desire and determination. He gave it everything he had and then some. The first quad-triple ever performed in competition, and high energy every time he set foot on the ice. So what he was not your conventional lyrical skater with aesthetically-pleasing lines.

It seems that you are being intentionally provocative in trying to claim that "the most over-scored skaters often seem to be Canadian." What a completely irrational and feckless, not to mention reckless claim.

vCash
    Oh, I'm sure this will go well.

Quote Originally Posted by kuzytalent View Post
    I wouldnt vote for him but Joubert should have definitely been on the poll too.
    No. There are more than enough worthy candidates that Joubert should be nowhere near this list.

Quote Originally Posted by briancoogaert View Post
    I guess the OP knew this thread would turn into another "Chan is overscored, Chan is a robber, ..."
    I think it's kind of a given that a thread like this would go in that direction, no? I don't even like Chan and I think he's often overscored, but I feel the need to pick someone else just to be rebellious. Surely an "other option" instead of Browning, Yagudin or Lambiel would be appropriate?

If there were an "other" option, I would pick that as a vote for the opposite of purple.
    Last edited by Zemgirl; 06-01-2013 at 09:09 PM.

vCash
    Stojko should not even be on the poll. He was definitely overscored often from 1997-2000, but he was also underscored often from 1991-1994 so it basically evens out. Even if he is a somewhat overscored skater, there are so many in history, and he wouldnt crack the top 10 to be worthy of the poll, let alone to be top 3 in a poll like this.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast