Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyWarhol View Post
    Omg yes! As overdone as Rach 2 is, it is less over done than some other war horses that we can expect to see in Sochi. There will be Carmen.
    Yeah, even though I wish Mao was skating to something more original, I definitely prefer this to Carmen. However, as much as I love Mao, there are so many pieces that have not been used yet, I kind of wish she or her choreographer suggested something more surprising. Nevertheless, I'm looking forward to seeing her program.

vCash
    Could Mao's team be any more unoriginal? Yu-Na not only has variety of musical selections, but she also skates to stuff that is up-to-date. It just bothers me when a good skater skates to romantic shmaltz most all of the time. Yes, she does that well, but I guess you have to wait until and if they go pro to seem them develop further artistically.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwantumleap View Post
    Could Mao's team be any more unoriginal? Yu-Na not only has variety of musical selections, but she also skates to stuff that is up-to-date. It just bothers me when a good skater skates to romantic shmaltz most all of the time. Yes, she does that well, but I guess you have to wait until and if they go pro to seem them develop further artistically.
    You're right, was so cool how she used that new modern piece Rhapsody In Blue at the last Olympics. Unique dress colour also!

Mad for mangelwurzels
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyWarhol View Post
    You're right, was so cool how she used that new modern piece Rhapsody In Blue at the last Olympics. Unique dress colour also!
    It wasn't Rhapsody in Blue; it was Concerto in F.
    I hear outside a million panicking birds, and know even out there comfort is done with; it has shattered even the stars, this creature at last come home to me.

vCash
    In my opinion, she has already done that in these three exhibitions: Por Una Cabeza, Ballade, and Jupiter, which are really some of her best work to date.

vCash
    Oh man...Mao doing Holst's Jupiter for the Olympics could have been gorgeous. I wish more skaters would skate to that. I know it's not the greatest program ever, but I've always had a soft spot for Suguri's 2001 LP.

vCash
    I like these choices for Mao. Her skating is suited to these kinds of pieces. Yeah, they're safe, but I'd rather see safe than another Bells of Moscow type thing. Then again, with Tarasova as a choregrapher, I'm kinda scared what the programs might look like.

Holst's Jupiter
    I like Jupiter, but it'd be nice if the skaters would choose another one of the planets to skate to. Mercury and Venus are my two faves personally.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orientalplane View Post
    It wasn't Rhapsody in Blue; it was Concerto in F.
    You are correct! Whoops

vCash
    Powerful and iconic pieces tend to do well at the Olympics. I saw a video clip of Mao working on the step sequence to Rach II and I can see her making it great. I think it's a good choice.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz....

How about something that hasn't been overused to death, for a change?
    Talk to the judges. They are the ones that want to see programs recycles to death. Men seem to take a little more risk with music choice, while ladies are on mary go round.

vCash
    mmmm not sure about the LP music choice, but her SP is a master piece and perfect for Olympic. We'll see how the LP turn out.

vCash

For Mao, the former coach Tarasova comes to Japan urgently in July.

This is an article in “Sports Hochi” in Japan.
    Translating to English from Japanese.

June 17th, 2013

The photo:
    Mao appeared wearing pajama in the announcement meeting of new products.
    http://www.nikkansports.com/sports/n...6-1143507.html

In June 16th, Mao Asada (22, Chukyo University) participated to the press conference for announcing a new products of a health apparatus maker "Omron Health Care“.
    Then, it found that Tatiana Tarasova (66) comes to Japan urgently in July for preparing to Sochi Olympics season which starts on this autumn.

According to a person concerned, it is aim to raise the degree of perfection of new free program which Tarasova had choreographed.

She seems to plan to come to Japan around the ice show "The Ice" which starts from Aichi Performance of July 24th and to polish up the choreography of the free program which used to Piano Concert No. 2 composed by Rachmaninoff.

Mao who participates from the first event of GP series "Skate America" (October 18th-20th) seems to feel a good expected result to the tuning, saying, "The preparation is proceeding earlier than usual season". Affirming to the intension also of retiring from the eligible after the end of Sochi Olympics season anew, she said enthusiastically, "I would like to show the best performance, getting the qualification to Sochi Olympics with doing my best effort.

The article:
    http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20...000297-sph-spo

vCash
    Did Nichol want to reuse her own work from 2007 and forgot she also gave that program to Asada then?

Tarasova and Rach 2. Tarasova and Swan Lake. Tarasova and Bells of Moscow. She is really good at pushing old programs originally done for Cohen and Kwan onto Asada huh.

I wish Asada would skate to some sort of Tango in one of her programs.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Did Nichol want to reuse her own work from 2007 and forgot she also gave that program to Asada then?
    Around the time of last Olympics, I have heard that Lori Nichol said the following.
    "Occasionally, it is my job, too, that I let a player do what she/he is not good at. However, as for Olympics season, it is different. As for the Olympics season, I consider only that it is easy to skate for the very person and I give her/him the program which hides the defect and emphasizes the merit."
    As for next Olympics, too, she may have done such a consideration again, mayn't she?
    Last edited by Akira Andrea; 06-18-2013 at 02:54 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Akira Andrea View Post
    Around the time of last Olympics, I have heard that Lori Nichol said the following.
    "Occasionally, it is my job, too, that I let a player do what she is not good at. However, as for Olympics season, it is different. As for the Olympics season, I consider only that it is easy to skate for the very person and I give her the program which hides the defect and emphasizes the merit."
    I agree with her.
    It is a smart thing, not a clever thing

vCash

Mao Asada told Takako Zemba about "first love", "liquor" and "retirement".

This is an article in "Gadget News" in Japan.
    Translating to English from Japanese.

June 20th, 2013

The photo:
    Photography: by Kazuyuki OGAWA/PHOTO KISHIMOTO
    http://image.news.livedoor.com/newsi...dce5bd9e5f.jpg

The photo:
    Photography: by News23 (TBS)
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

In June 17th, Mao Asada appeared on the TV news program of TBS group and told about 'her private life as an adult woman' and 'the intendment of her comment "Sochi is my compilation"'.

Takako Zemba of the interviewer seems to have met her for the first time in 3 years because having interviewed her in the time of the ending of Vancouver Olympics, too.

■She likes “umeshu or plum liqueur” with soda.
    Being pointed from Zemba, saying, "I feel more leeway to your manners and movements than 2 years before", Asada disclosed the change of the state of mind, saying, “At the time of 19 years old, I was a child yet and had seemed to stick only to one thing. Now at 22 years old, I have a feeling of not being able to become an adult if I am working only in skating”

As for her private life, she seems to be conscious of a way of living as one woman, saying, "I think that it would be good if I could do a variety of things as a woman, such as going to shopping with making the time for only me". When the subject was brought up a liquor, she showed an adult talk, saying, "I like a plum liquor with soda. I got to feel that it is pleasant with drinking it, when I go to bed".

■The intendment of her comment, “Sochi is my compilation”.
    In the harmonious atmosphere, the chat was getting to the main subject. Being asked about the intendment of what she spoke after the performance of the free skating of World Team Match in this April with saying "Sochi is my compilation", Asada explained, saying, "It aimed to confirm my own determination, too, and moreover I thought that it is better to show the performance after having disclosed my determination to everybody".

Moreover, she hinted that the next goal after Sochi Olympics is not always fixed yet, with saying, "Vancouver Olympics was the most important goal for me while doing skating for long years, but, when it finished, I thought about not the retirement but the correction of the performance to aim at the next season".

Being asked about the intention of retirement by Zemba with saying, "Do you be thinking the retirement from eligible skater with marking the end of your remarkable career by Sochi Olympics?", Asada emphasized that it is the season which she bet her own life of competition to, saying, "Let me see. After Sochi Olympics, there is the Worlds (at Saitama prefecture in next March) soon. If I felt that I accomplished satisfactorily with doing the performance which I aim at, I may retire. I don't know how I decide it, because it hasn't finished, but I would like to do my best in Sochi season as my compilation now on".

■"Nocturne" with full of memories which she won the championship in Japan Nationals for the first time.
    The subject spread to the concrete performance, too. The music which she wrestles with the practice for Sochi Olympics is Chopin's "Nocturne". It is the music with full of memories which Asada won the championship for the first time in Japan Nationals 7 years before.

She told her determination, with saying, " As for 'Nocturne' in front of 7 years, it was only what showed the skating skill, such as performing step according to a music. In this year, I decided on making 'first Love' the theme together with Lori. I would like to show ‘Nocturne’ which is different from 7 years ago.".

■"First love" which she can express because she is 22 years old.
    Being asked saying, “what one is 'first love' which you can express because you are 22 years old?”, Asada disclosed that she was coached by Lori as for that and aroused laughter, by saying "Lori said to me so as to imagine the person of first love and said that you may imagine Aero (Asada's pet dog), too, if there isn't first love".

While she admits lack of experience as for love, saying, "I think that it would be good if I could skate to show what I have learned as depicter and as athlete so far with feelings of thanks", she told her determination and expressed her gratitude to the fan etc., saying, "Because I have a little experience of love, I think that it would be good if I could express it with imagining how, etc. to look back when a nice guy appeared, by my way".

Asada of now aims to do the performance which she can consent to more than getting a gold medal. As for this change of her mind, she said, "As for my priority in Vancouver Olympics, the 1st was gold medal and the 2nd was performance, but now, the first has become performance and the 2nd has become gold medal". The challenge of Asada who aims at compilation plans to start from the ice show "The Ice 2013" which is held in Aichi prefecture in July 24th-25th.
    The fan are paying close attention to whether the new program is shown in the rink of her hometown in Aichi prefecture.

The article:
    http://snn.getnews.jp/archives/105249

The reference:
    The photo:
    Photography: by News23 (TBS)
    The interview of TV News Program “News23 (TBS)”
    Main caster: Takako Zemba
    Caster: Mai Demizu
    Guest: Mao Asada
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

Mao Asada: 2006 Skate America SP “Nocturne”
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmyUwtmch9w

vCash
    Great to hear! I am happy that Mao is choosing something that fits her style of skating. I love her light, balletic skating so prayed that she wouldn't choose something heavy and dark for her (final?) Olympics.

Looking forward to her debuting the new programs this fall.

vCash
    I think her music choices are fine and I like her attitude of focusing on the program first and the reward second. That's a good motto to have and I hope she follows it. I definitely enjoyed both of her programs last year and I hope she has two lovely ones next year too.

vCash
    There's nothing wrong with choosing conventional music for a pretty conventional skater.. I hear all these complaints about skaters not being experiemental enough, but people forget that not everybody can handle experimental pieces.
    Last edited by shine; 06-25-2013 at 07:12 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shine View Post
    There's nothing wrong with choosing conventional music for a pretty conventional skater.. I hear all these complaints about skaters not being experiemental enough, but people forget that not everybody can handle experimental pieces.
    Very true. I think her programs from the 2010 season were experimental and to be honest, I didn't care for either of them. Some skaters aren't as versatile in their styles and that's okay with me. I'd much prefer to see Mao go a safer route, one I know she can navigate very well, rather than try something out of the box and end up with bad programs for such a crucial year of her skating career. Stick to what you do best. She's seen a lot of success with her programs over the last two seasons b/c she's sticking to music pieces that highlight the lovely and unique qualities of her skating.

I say more power to her...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast