Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by alilou View Post
    No not true. Well maybe true for competition, but she's done some killer gala pieces in all kinds of styles - there's a tango that comes to mind (I'm hopeless, maybe it was a flamenco), that was even choreographed by TT that was just fabulous and she skated the heck out of it. Mao is a different skater in exhibitions - like most skaters she's much freer and more exuberant.
    My thinking about 'her style music' was the tango music and soft, lovely music.

Her tango music exhibitions
    scent of a woman - http://youtu.be/9921LChDlBc
    Caprice - http://youtu.be/gki8u91dYEg
    Last edited by karlon; 06-01-2013 at 04:59 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz....

How about something that hasn't been overused to death, for a change?
    That's how I feel as well. I'm sure Mao will do a lovely job, but ... it would have been nice to see something somewhat different

O-

vCash
    I'm thrilled with Rach 2. I actually think Mao can do dramatic the problem was that Mao has a lovely soft side and the program didn't show that at all. I think Rach 2 has nice highs and lows..

vCash
    I wouldn't think Rach is that safe for her. It's not all dark and heavy but also soft and lyrical. Mao has to bring out these in one program which I don't think she has ever done it in the past. The choices would serve her well. Nocturne, in particular.

vCash
    I'm in a minority in that I liked Mao's Bells and applauded her for attempting something outside her comfort zone. Though I agree that it wasn't the program that best showcased her skills. The Rach isn't quite so ponderous as Bells and I hope she can make it work for her.

Mostly, I just wish for that she can skate clean at the OG and hopefully, successfully include the 3A in her arsenal again.

vCash
    This is an article in "Mainichi Shimbun" in Japan.
    Translating to English from Japanese.

Mao Asada showed a confident, saying "I can do a various expression".
    June 1st, 2013 JST

The photo:
    Photography: Kenji Fujita
    Mao Asada who faced to the press interview of an ice show. At the Hotel Hankyu International in Osaka city in May 31st.
    http://mainichi.jp/graph/2013/06/01/...8000c/001.html

By Kenji Fujita
    In May 31st, Mao Asada (Chukyo University) who expressed the probability of retirement from the eligible skater after the end of next season which the Sochi Olympics is held participated to the press interview, and as for the new programs, she released that she selected Chopin's "Nocturne" to the short program and Rachmaninoff's "Piano Concerto No.2" to the free skating.

"Nocturne" is the music which she used in 2007 Worlds, too, which she won the 2nd place. Asada showed a confident, saying, "It is easy to take a timing because I have skated to this music once. I think that I can do a various expression".

As for the music of Rachmaninoff, she use "Prelude: The Bells" in 2010 Vancouver Olympics which she won the silver medal. As for the reason which she selected the music of Russian composer continuing to Tchaikovsky's "Swan Lake" in 2012/2013 season, she said, "I thought that such music is suitable because I remember that I was received with applause from beginning when I skated in Sochi last year".

As for the choreography, both persons take charge of each program as same as this season, namely, SP is Lori Nicole, FS is Tatiana Tarasova.

The article:
    Mao Asada showed a confident, saying "I can do a various expression".
    http://mainichi.jp/sports/news/20130...50008000c.html

In this ice show, Mao Asada plans to skate to the exhibition program "Smile", but she said, "I would like to practice them strenuously so as to be able to show either of SP or FS.
    http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20...001109-yom-spo
    Last edited by Akira Andrea; 06-01-2013 at 01:37 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Japanfan View Post
    I'm in a minority in that I liked Mao's Bells and applauded her for attempting something outside her comfort zone. Though I agree that it wasn't the program that best showcased her skills. The Rach isn't quite so ponderous as Bells and I hope she can make it work for her.

Mostly, I just wish for that she can skate clean at the OG and hopefully, successfully include the 3A in her arsenal again.
    Well I'd definitely join you to be among the exclusive minority to have liked Mao's Bells. I'd consider it among her best FS programs. I do wonder if it had produced better competitive results earlier on, people's view might have changed other wise. The program / Russian Culture / music / Tat practically became an excuse to be blamed for not winning, when in actuality, the bar was simply set very high.

Artistically, i'd even rank it above everything produced by Kostner these past few years including her WC gold, who took advantage of the ladies slump, simplified and lowered her tech (including speed) to be more consistent and push more of this so called 'audience friendly' (stop start, posing, hips wiggling) artistry. Mao's Bell was superb in both tech and her own artistic benchmark whilst breaking through her personal boundaries (cultural, intellectual, emotional breakthroughs) of what is achievable by a Japanese skater and a Russia Choreographer. Problem is the COP don't reward things like artistic credibility, difficulty, versatility, diversity, breaking personal boundaries, growth etc..nearly enough when arguably it should. Skating should not be formulaic, yet the scoring has been structured to make those who follow a formula of tried and tested can secure a level of success.

I do think these 2 distinctively traditional and classical music (among her own history and skating history) makes good choices for Mao but rather predictable and safe, well within her comfort zone - just like Swan Lake last year. Earlier in the season, many speculated who'd do Rach 2, since it is such an obvious choice for Sochi, so here we have the first one, so only makes sense that she announce it this early. So now it may became a game of who else is going to do Rach 2. Maybe a battle of the Rach 2 in Sochi?

vCash
    !!!! Like 4 or 5 months ago I had a dream she skated to Rach 2 in Sochi and won with the program of her life. It was raining in Tokyo during the ladies free, though, so the music choice is just one piece of the dream. LOL!!!

Can't wait to hear the music cuts!
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

vCash
    I do wonder how many routines are going to be set to music from Russian composers. There's a wealth of choices out there and different styles. I'm predicting a "Snowstorm" routine as well.

vCash
    I'm hoping for plenty of Scriabin (not just Etude Op. 8, No. 12) and Shostakovich (not just Romance and The Bolt).
    I can call the moon a pear, but it doesn't make it so. -- kwanfan1818

vCash
    I can't say I am surprised in any way by Mao's program choices. They are along the lines of what I'm expecting. There's also going to be a LOT of Les Miserables in ice dance this year, I'm betting.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by N_Halifax View Post
    I can't say I am surprised in any way by Mao's program choices. They are along the lines of what I'm expecting. There's also going to be a LOT of Les Miserables in ice dance this year, I'm betting.
    Oh I hope not. That music is so repetitive.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by falling_dance View Post
    I'm hoping for plenty of Scriabin (not just Etude Op. 8, No. 12) and Shostakovich (not just Romance and The Bolt).

As a fan, I'm happy for Mao regardless of outcome this season. And personally I'm eager to see her version of Rach 2.

vCash
    Meh. I was expecting something more creative & original from Mao.

I wouldn't compare the heavy-handed 'Bells' with the sweeter Rach 2 Piano Concerto. Maybe she will focus on the softer movement.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Frau Muller View Post
    Meh. I was expecting something more creative & original from Mao.
    Outside of "Bell", I don't think anything Mao has skated to in the past 4 years would qualify as out-of-the-box choices. So it's not surprising that she would stick with some warhorses for the Olympic year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    Outside of "Bell", I don't think anything Mao has skated to in the past 4 years would qualify as out-of-the-box choices. So it's not surprising that she would stick with some warhorses for the Olympic year.
    How can a fun and jazzy program like " I got Rhythm" and the exotic "Sheherezade" be compared, the music genre and the choreography are completely different. how can "swan lake" and Liebestraum be compared, the genre,the feeling, the atmosphere and most importantly the choreography is completely different.

you can look and compare all the following:
    - Choreography
    - music genre
    - Atmosphäre (fun,sad,calming)
    - content when it comes to jumps and non-jump elements
    - transitions

and you will find that they are all very different depending on the program.

I love Mao's music choices, the Music choices are beautiful and totally in contrast to each other. I'm excited to see HER interpretion of Rachmaninoff's "Piano Concerto No.2" and her Nocturne was truly a masterpiece.

vCash
    The next season is the last season for her
    Why should she have the risk in music choices for last olympic season?

She has seleted musics which can help her the most. I love Mao's music choices, too

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    I guess I am fine with Chopin. 7 years is a long time and I look forward to her new interpretation to it.

Rach on the other hand... is silver medal music for the Olympics. There's Ito in 1992, M&D in 1994, Kwan in 1998, (Hughes and S&P switching away from Rach to claim gold in 2002), and her own experience in 2010.
    On the other hand, John Curry in 1976 (short program to Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by giselle23 View Post
    On the other hand, John Curry in 1976 (short program to Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini).
    And Hughes retained a small clip of Rachmaninov in her Olympic program, so I'm still counting that as a win.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bek View Post
    I'm thrilled with Rach 2. I actually think Mao can do dramatic the problem was that Mao has a lovely soft side and the program didn't show that at all. I think Rach 2 has nice highs and lows..
    I think it is good music for her too!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast