Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Oh Mao! Give me that dress and those shoes!! Gorg!!

I like both choices.

Nocturne: I'm sure they'll have to tweak the choreography for the newer rules but I'm excited to see her revisit this one. This is probably her best SP to date. It's a masterpiece of choreography and is Lori's best SP work for Mao. I'm excited to see Mao bring her level of experience and maturity to this program.

Rach No. 2: It's definitely an overused warhorse but I can't say I'm disappointed or surprised. In an Olympic year the last thing you want to do is step out of the box and risk the judges hating it. Playing it safe, especially for Mao, is a good idea. I actually expect to see a lot of warhorses this season b/c it's an Olympic year.

No. 2 isn't nearly as heavy as Bells nor do I think it's a bad choice for Mao. It's not light like Liebestraum or Swan Lake but I think it will fit Mao's style very well. Her last two FS have been great IMO so I hope to see more of the same from her.

vCash

Asada decided the using music: "Nocturne", "Piano Concerto No.2"

This is an article in "JiJi Press" in Japan.
    Translating to English from Japanese.

May 31st, 2013

Interviewing the press in May 31st, Mao Asada (22, Chukyo University) released the music for using in the season of Sochi Olympics in 2014. The short program is Chopin's "Nocturne" and the free skating is "Piano Concerto No.2" of Rachmaninoff of Russian composer. Asada has already expressed the probability of retirement from eligible skater after the end of the said season.
    As for the music selection of SP, Asada explained, saying "I have used this music before, but I would like to express with my image that became like an adult".
    As for the free skating, she said, "Also at last season, I wavered on whether I uses either of this music and Swan Lake". In Vancouver Olympics which she won the silver medal, she used "The Bells" of Rachmaninoff of the same composer, but she showed the conation, saying "I think that I can do the expression which upgraded than before".
    According to the explanation of Asada, the theme of choreography of SP seems to be "first love" and the theme of FS seems to be what her feelings which is like a joy or a sadness packaged in.
    In this day, Asada talked about the ice show which she participates to in July, saying "I am looking forward to that I show the new program" with smiling.

The article:
    http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20...000121-jij-spo
    Last edited by Akira Andrea; 06-01-2013 at 01:38 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Akira Andrea View Post
    In May 31st, she participated with a pink dress to the press interview for announcement of "The Ice 2013" which she participates to.
    As for the ice show which is held in Aichi (July 24th, 25th and in Osaka (July 27th, 28th), she requested, saying "I would like to skate to new short and new free". She released that SP is Chopin's "Nocturne" and FS is Rachmanioff's "Piano Concerto No. 2", and she said "I would like to be able to express little by little by practice although there is a theme in each programs", eagerly.
    It is a very smart choice. This will be certainly beautiful
    Last edited by torren; 05-31-2013 at 05:11 PM.

vCash
    Chopin has A LOT of nocturnes, so are you sure she'll renew the one from 06/07 or choose another one?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Akira Andrea View Post
    As for the music selection of SP, Asada explained, saying "I have used this music before, but I would like to express with my image that became like an adult".
    Yeah I also thought it might be a different Nocturne, but this quote seems to clear it up.

vCash
    I guess I am fine with Chopin. 7 years is a long time and I look forward to her new interpretation to it.

Rach on the other hand... is silver medal music for the Olympics. There's Ito in 1992, M&D in 1994, Kwan in 1998, (Hughes and S&P switching away from Rach to claim gold in 2002), and her own experience in 2010.

vCash
    The Protopopovs skated to Rach 3 in 1968 and Hughes' Olympic LP retained a few seconds from Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini (which was John Curry's SP music in 1976).
    I can call the moon a pear, but it doesn't make it so. -- kwanfan1818

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rayhaneh View Post
    That was my initial reaction too. Then again, it will all rest on TAT's choreo: if it's as heavy-handed as her Bells of Moscow, I'm not holding my breath, but if she can be more subtle it could work
    That Bells thing was utterly painful. I hope she has two fabulous programs.
    DH - and that's just my opinion

vCash
    I wish she picked something more original. I love her nocturne program, but it would be nice to see something new. And Rach 2 has been done to death (all three movements). Hopefully, the choreography will be good though.

vCash
    If Mao was going to go back to a past SP, I wish she would have chosen Ladies in Lavender, that SP was just so But I don't mind her choices.

vCash
    As long as she enjoys her final season, I'm happy. I like her choices.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    I think the Nocturne will be fine--it suits Mao. Her calling card is her ethereal, effervescent quality on the ice. And occasionally, her 3A. Rach 2 calls for a sense of tragedy and intensity in the IN and CH which tends to weigh her down.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    These are not exciting choices and show she will be playing it safe at least artistically for the Oly season. One is going backward, the other is done to death. Still, both are beautiful pieces that suit her, and she got great results this season with a similar approach. Rach 2 is nothing like Bells of Moscow, thank God. But I would rather have seen her turn her wonderful Jupiter ex into a FS. Oh well. I don't doubt she will be beautiful in both.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Spun Silver View Post
    These are not exciting choices and show she will be playing it safe at least artistically for the Oly season. One is going backward, the other is done to death. Still, both are beautiful pieces that suit her, and she got great results this season with a similar approach. Rach 2 is nothing like Bells of Moscow, thank God. But I would rather have seen her turn her wonderful Jupiter ex into a FS. Oh well. I don't doubt she will be beautiful in both.
    I agree. She will be adorable in both programs, particularly in nocturne.
    But sometimes i think she can do well artistically, only in her style music.
    Last edited by karlon; 05-31-2013 at 09:55 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DimaToe View Post
    If Mao was going to go back to a past SP, I wish she would have chosen Ladies in Lavender, that SP was just so But I don't mind her choices.
    I'm glad it's Nocturne instead. The Ladies in Lavender music is a snoozefest.

I wish she'd have picked something else for her FS though. Rach 2 is a beautiful piece, but it seems the only piece used more often is Carmen.

vCash
    I think Chen Lu had the definitive version of Rach for women single, and M&D had the definitive version for pairs. TT's choreography is always too frenetic for my taste; I don't get why Mao is so attracted to TT for her LPs.

Blergh
    vCash
    Tarasova's choreography is so overrated. Her pupils' best work is usually done by outside or in-house choreographers.

vCash
    I don't see anything about which movement(s) of the concerto she'll be using. There are many different moods and styles to work with there, depending upon which portions she choose. The original Nocturne is still my all time favorite program by Mao. I think these are great choices, and potentially better suited to her skating than anything she's done since before Vancouver. Can't wait to see the programs...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    Tarasova's choreography is so overrated. Her pupils' best work is usually done by outside or in-house choreographers.
    I agree. I liked Yagudin's program, but weren't those done by Morosov? I think her best work was G/P's Memorial.

Crazy Stalker Lady
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by karlon View Post
    I agree. She will be adorable in both programs, particularly in nocturne.
    But sometimes i think she can do well artistically, only in her style music.
    No not true. Well maybe true for competition, but she's done some killer gala pieces in all kinds of styles - there's a tango that comes to mind (I'm hopeless, maybe it was a flamenco), that was even choreographed by TT that was just fabulous and she skated the heck out of it. Mao is a different skater in exhibitions - like most skaters she's much freer and more exuberant.
    My travel and adventure blog http://alisonanddon.wordpress.com

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast