Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Mao Asada released the programs for Sochi Olympics!

This is an article in “Daily Sports” in Japan.
    Translating to English from Japanese.

Mao Asada released the programs for Sochi Olympics! She is going to show it in the ice show, too.

The photo:
    Phtography; by Daily Sports
    Mao Asad released the programs for the season of the Olympics in Osaka city.
    http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20...#contents-body

In May 31st, Mao Asada participated to the press interview for announcement of the ice show “The Ice”(in Aich in July 24th, 25th, in Osaka in July 27th, 28th), and released the programs for 2014 season of Sochi Olympics.

The short program is Chopin’s “Nocturne”, the free skating is "Piano Concerto No.2" composed by Rachmanioff who is same as the composer of "The Bells" of the free skating of Vancouver Olympics and the exhibition is Chaplin’s “Smile”.
    It planned to show in the said performance if things go well, and she said "I am look forward to that, because I show the new program".

The article:
    Mao Asada released the programs for Sochi Olympics! She is going to show it in the ice show, too.
    http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20...000031-dal-spo
    Last edited by Akira Andrea; 05-31-2013 at 09:52 PM.

vCash
    Nocturne? Is she revisiting the one from 2006-2007 season? Yes it's one of her best programs.
    Rachmaninoff on the other hand... She didn't have the result she wanted with Rachmaninoff program last Olympics, so to me it seems interesting to choose him again.

vCash
    There are not so good records with Rachmaninoff's piano concerto for Japanese skaters at the Olympics (Ito, Takahashi, Suguri). I would say this choice is a mistake.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Rach 2? Not for her. Did TAT do this?
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash

Mao announced the programs in a pink dress

This is an article in "Nikkan Sports" in Japan.
    Translating to English from Japanese.

Mao announced the programs in a pink dress.
    May 31st, 2013

The photo:
    Photography: by Kengo Abe
    Mao Asada who participated to the press interview in a pink dress which the figures of the angel etc. were arranged.
    http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20...s-spo.view-000

In May 31st, she participated with a pink dress to the press interview for announcement of "The Ice 2013" which she participates to.
    As for the ice show which is held in Aichi (July 24th, 25th and in Osaka (July 27th, 28th), she requested, saying "I would like to skate to new short and new free". She released that SP is Chopin's "Nocturne" and FS is Rachmanioff's "Piano Concerto No. 2", and she said "I would like to be able to express little by little by practice although there is a theme in each programs", eagerly.

The article:
    Mao announced the programs in a pink dress.
    http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20...6-nksports-spo

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NMURA View Post
    There are not so good records with Rachmaninoff's piano concerto for Japanese skaters at the Olympics (Ito, Takahashi, Suguri). I would say this choice is a mistake.
    Well, correlation isn't necessarily causation. Plus, there's always a first time for everything.

I guess a warhorse would be good since the music sells itself. I hope she goes for a more Lu Chen-style interpretation than the more extroverted versions done by every other skater. It'll probably be the same usual edits though. The more bombastic beginnings for her Triple Axel attempts, then the long soft middle where she can check off the other jumps and spins, then the very loud and fast ending for her 1 minute+ footwork section and final spin and pose.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Akira Andrea View Post

The photo:
    Photography: by Kengo Abe
    Mao Asada who participated to the press interview in a pink dress which the figures of the angel etc. were arranged.
    http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20...s-spo.view-000

In May 31st, she participated with a pink dress to the press interview for announcement of "The Ice 2013" which she participates to.
    As for the ice show which is held in Aichi (July 24th, 25th and in Osaka (July 27th, 28th), she requested, saying "I would like to skate to new short and new free". She released that SP is Chopin's "Nocturne" and FS is Rachmanioff's "Piano Concerto No. 2", and she said "I would like to be able to express little by little by practice although there is a theme in each programs", eagerly.
    She looks so charming in that dress.
    I'm not quite thrilled about her LP music choice, but those may be her last Olympic programs after all, I wish her the very best.

vCash
    Reference:
    Mao Asada 2006 Japanese National SP "Nocturne"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUnqstQyU9I

Sasha Cohen 2003 GP Final FS "Piano Concerto No.2"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VXLwEcmkcw

Daisuke Takahashi - Japan Nationals 2005 FS "Piano Concerto No.2"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAVlUq_Oo9s
    Last edited by Akira Andrea; 05-31-2013 at 09:57 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    Rach 2? Not for her. Did TAT do this?
    That was my initial reaction too. Then again, it will all rest on TAT's choreo: if it's as heavy-handed as her Bells of Moscow, I'm not holding my breath, but if she can be more subtle it could work

vCash
    Haters hate everything. GO MAO!! Do whatever you want. It's your last season.

vCash
    I like her music choices, but very much hope Tarasova is not doing her choreography....

vCash
    i personally like the music choices, soft sounds for the sp and a dramatic lp.
    i hated the music for cohen in 2003 but i think the music could work really well for mao and for myself i wouldn't care if the choreo is done by tarasova. i like her dramatic input, which COULD suit the music very well. it would be nice to see, that both have a satisfying end of their work together.

vCash
    Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz....

How about something that hasn't been overused to death, for a change?
    Last edited by Ziggy; 05-31-2013 at 11:51 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz....

How about something that hasn't been overused to death, for a change?
    Yeah. This planet is full of music but skaters keep on repeating the same old records.

vCash
    I am not so thrilled by her Nocturne revisit.

vCash
    It's in her comfort zone. Her steps will look great on this type of music. She never took huge risks choreography-wise, so she wasn't going to do that on an olympic year.

vCash
    Perfect, both pieces are great! I am so glad!

vCash
    She is so predictable.

vCash
    I like the selections, safe but she can certainly express those music well.

vCash
    Posted on May 16 in the Program Music/Choreographers thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by Doubletoe View Post
    I just saw a video clip of Mao in New York working with a choreographer (looked female, but could not see who) on a step sequence. The music was Rach 2, 1st movement.
    Belgium's Jorik Hendrickx tweeted this photo of himself, Kovtun, Asada, Tarasova and Shanetta Folle in New York: http://instagram.com/p/Zb2oUpvNKl/
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast