Page 45 of 50 FirstFirst ... 354344454647 ... LastLast

En el trabajo en mi obra maestra, "Bodegón de rosas, las toronjas y el Planetario", que se llevará algún tiempo.
    vCash
    I've been contemptibly lucky in that regard and never hated one of my own bosses.

Should 2022 FIFA World Cup be rescheduled for the winter?

yes
    no
    purple it's always summer in Qatar
    purple this TV...
    I can call the moon a pear, but it doesn't make it so. -- kwanfan1818

vCash
    Purple it's always summer in Qatar.

Doha or Dubai?

vCash
    I've only been to Dubai. I felt like I was spending a fortune just standing there.

Continue using oil
    or
    cease dependency and financially ruin the middle east

En el trabajo en mi obra maestra, "Bodegón de rosas, las toronjas y el Planetario", que se llevará algún tiempo.
    vCash
    Is is it even feasible not to rely on Middle Eastern oil right now?

Could the US take over Canada today?

yes
    obviously
    not today, not ever

vCash
    yes.

No, that would be awkward:

Other countries to take over:
    Haiti
    Honduras
    Namibia

vCash
    None of those hypothetical takeovers would be any less awkward.

Jamaica or Costa Rica.

vCash
    Costa Rica...but mostly for the monkeys. Too many ugly americans in Costa

Who has better PR
    Montenegro
    or
    Latvia

vCash
    Montenegro

Which of these two current news stories are you following more closely:

Royal baby watch
    OR
    New Israel Palestinian peace initiatives.

vCash
    The UK Royal baby watch.

KHAAAAAAN!
    or
    "Oh, my God." (not that one)
    ?

vCash
    Alternatively, you can just forget about that entry and pick one of the following...

teasel - Dipsacus fullonum; a genus of flowering biennials bearing inflorescences of purple or reddish flowers; the flower heads of the Fuller's teasel (D. sativus) were formerly used in the processing of textiles, especially wool. "You're such a teasel!" the crushed velvet hissed.

clerestory - the windowed upper levels of the highest walls of a church or cathedral; The young teacher knew her days of trendy vicardom were over when a heretofore favorite student rhymed "clerestory" with "herstory" in a creative writing assignment.

thrift - Armeria maritima; species of small flowering plants, the blossoms of which are usually pink; to be found in Europe and South America. Osborne looked to the unobtrusive thift on the cliffside, its tender leaves and pastel blossoms swaying gently within their means, before weeping into his wife's Aquascutumed shoulder.

spring squill - Scilla verna; species of flowering plant bearing blue flowers whose six petals recall the points of a star. Dave and Jenny laughed, but Priscilla knew that spring squill fascinators were the future of ladies' skating fashion.

sea campion - Silene maritama; coastal and mountain flowering plant of the genus Silene, native to the British Isles; also called "dead man's bells" and "devils' hatties". It was an ill-sorted person who first decided to give such a harmless-looking flower such a redolently misogynistic nickname, mused f_d.

toothwort - Lathraea; genus of parasitic flowering plants that lack chlorophyll and feed on the roots of other plants; indigenous to temperate Europe and Asia. Truth be told, the old alder was less impressed by the toothwort's martial pride ("Trees aren't dangerous!") than by its lavish purple grotesquerie.

saprophytic - taking nourishment through the absorption of dead and/or decaying matter; Earlier this year, scientists were shocked to discover that a new and fast-spreading lifeform had emerged in cyberspace; the captured specimen, called "Judy", is a saprophytic organism whose survival depends on disputation over long-since-concluded skating competitions.

dhoni (or doni) - a Maldivian sailboat powered by motor or lateen sails; largely mechanized since the 1980s. Bored by his deskbound life as a clerk, Beau dreamed of Turner sunsets and solitary trips on a dhoni of finest coconut wood, its triangular sails billowing in the cool ocean breeze.

frangipani - Plumeria; genus of flowering plants in the dogbane family; native to Latin America but now found in many other tropical and subtropical regions; bears five-petaled flowers in colors ranging from white to yellow to orange to pink to red, and sometimes a combination of two from those listed. Ever the incense snob, Kwanita insisted that every room of the house be fragrant of rambutan and frangipani.

wat - monastery temple in southeast Asia; often Buddhist. Secretly, the red-robed keepers of the shrine wondered if the end of the Sochi cycle would mean converting the structure and surrounding soul garden from a Mao Wat to a Sot Wat or a Li Wat or a Hong Wat or an Os Wat...or what.

mangosteen - Garcinia mangostana; tropical evergeen, indigenous to the Molucca Islands and the Malay archipelago, but found elsewhere in southeast Asia; a purple fruit of the mangosteen tree, of which only the white interior is edible. Mrs. Brown may be a pretty dreary film, but it is Brief Encounter next to the historical travesty that is My Darling Mangosteen, sniffed f_d.

rambutan - Nephelium lappaceum; a tree of the soapberry family bearing a spiny, red, lychee-like fruit. In a fury of declamation, the crazy cat lady shook her gory locks and dangling craft earrings, each as lividly red as a rambutan.

gorse - Ulex (also furse or whin); genus of flowering plants of the pea family, all of whose species feature small yellow flowers; native to western Europe. And when the student likened his residence hall chores to the furze-cutting of bookish Clym Yeobright, Dalrymple witheringly rejoined, "Of gorse, of gorse."

Last edited by falling_dance; 07-25-2013 at 11:40 PM.

vCash
    1) KHAAAAAAN!
    2) frangipani

That last post is too good not to repeat so...

Repeat # 890

Mad for mangelwurzels
    vCash
    Oh f_d, you have truly surpassed yourself this time! This is a work of magnificence indeed. I doubt that it can ever be beaten.

One or two minor points:

1. The spring squill is blue, not purple
    2. Mangosteens are one of the most delicious fruits in the world
    3. Yes, when I saw gorse, I knew you'd be on to poor Clym. Anyway Eustacia is the villain of the piece, because she so pathetically fails to live up to what Hardy wanted her to be, and so of course it is not really her fault at all, but Hardy's
    4. Toothworts have to be seen to be believed.

Oh, dearest f_d, I think you should be awarded a huge prize for coming up with this. Nobel Prize for Literature - I'll put your name forward. Promise.

You are truly splendid and you always have been but you didn't realise before I told you.

Anyway, I am so tired that I'm typing this with my nose, but anyway you are a fine girl indeed and no one will ever make me think anything different. However, it may be that not everyone understands - as you are a wonderful but odd thing.

Really, you should post this in SS as I dare say it might be understood more there.
    I hear outside a million panicking birds, and know even out there comfort is done with; it has shattered even the stars, this creature at last come home to me.

vCash
    ...you are a fine girl indeed and no one will ever make me think anything different. However, it may be that not everyone understands - as you are a wonderful but odd thing.
    This x 1000!

vCash
    double post.

Go to bed, orientalplane.
    Love, yourwayoldersparklysister.
    Last edited by Sparks; 07-25-2013 at 10:49 PM.

Mad for mangelwurzels
    vCash
    Yes, Grandma - anything you say.

Sparkly Sparks, my dear friend, and you too Buzz. Buzz, are you from the Caribbean ?
    I hear outside a million panicking birds, and know even out there comfort is done with; it has shattered even the stars, this creature at last come home to me.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by orientalplane View Post
    Anyway, I am so tired that I'm typing this with my nose
    Now, if that doesn't deserve a literary prize of some description, then nothing currently being written does.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orientalplane View Post
    Yes, Grandma - anything you say.

Sparkly Sparks, my dear friend, and you too Buzz. Buzz, are you from the Caribbean ?

Yes indeed I am.

vCash
    Buzz what's your growing up story?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by siouxdonym View Post
    Buzz what's your growing up story?

vCash
    Mine was

<<<<psoty::TAT:333 My Parents :

::: off to school::::

Last edited by Dr.Siouxs; 07-27-2013 at 11:36 AM.

Page 45 of 50 FirstFirst ... 354344454647 ... LastLast