vCash

Family Reunion Location Suggestions

I have been placed on my very large extended family's planning committee for a family reunion in the summer of 2014.

We are thinking of either going to:

1. North Carolina Mountains
    2. Cruise out of Galveston, Texas
    3. Colorado Ranch
    4. Texas Hill Country

Has anyone ever participated in a large get together (50-75 people) at any of those locations? We are looking for all inclusive but self catering would work at the right location.

Or if you have any successful family reunion locations not listed, I'd love to hear about them.

Thanks!

vCash
    My vote goes to North Carolina mountains. The photos are gorgeous and makes it look so peaceful. The only family reunion I can remember was held in a rich relative's enormous back yard.

vCash
    I guess my first question is - Can everyone in the family afford the cost of a cruise or a Colorado Ranch? If so - more power to you and they all sound great. If not, choose a place where those without means can get to easily and inexpensively and can just pitch a tent or park a borrowed camper or even just come for the afternoon and dinner. After all, this is about getting the family together. That's the most important thing.

vCash
    North Carolina Mountains all the way. The mountains are tranquil, but there's a lot going on in Asheville and Cherokee
    Logic is in the eye of the logician --Gloria Steinem

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by A.H.Black View Post
    I guess my first question is - Can everyone in the family afford the cost of a cruise or a Colorado Ranch? If so - more power to you and they all sound great. If not, choose a place where those without means can get to easily and inexpensively and can just pitch a tent or park a borrowed camper or even just come for the afternoon and dinner. After all, this is about getting the family together. That's the most important thing.
    We actually are talking about that right now, that maybe these grand locations aren't so feasible for everyone. I do have quite a few wealthy family members but also have some not so wealthy. We use to just go to my Aunt's large house and have a great time but she's no longer able to host so we having to change things up this time around.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Catherine M View Post
    We actually are talking about that right now, that maybe these grand locations aren't so feasible for everyone. I do have quite a few wealthy family members but also have some not so wealthy. We use to just go to my Aunt's large house and have a great time but she's no longer able to host so we having to change things up this time around.
    I wondered. We just schedule a park and make things very casual. We can do it more often that way. We have been able to find some church parks/family private parks. Those have been great. There's usually facilities for baseball/softball, playground for the little ones etc.

vCash
    How many days are you planning for your reunion?

vCash
    My mom's side of the family has a reunion every year at different locations.

About 50 of us went to Cabo a little over a month ago. Not everyone did an all-inclusive (there were two hotels right next to each other--one was all-inclusive, the other was not), but I don't think that mattered too much. We rented a villa for a week. We bought groceries at Costco and Walmart.

Everybody loved it. So did I and I was dreading it. I thought the idea of lying on the beach with a cocunut would be awful, but it wasn't that bad. I still got to do stuff.

Restaurants were indeed tough (a table of 50? So easy to find!) and since we were all in another country, we couldn't text and call one another. Everyone was late for everything.

A few years back, they did a reunion at a camp site in California--KOA, or something like that. They all enjoyed that too. I didn't go to that one.

There was another reunion where they went on a cruise to Alaska. About 20 went (I was not one of them). They all loved it.

Although not technically a reunion, my sister had her wedding in Vegas and *everyone* went (80?). That was a lot of fun. Vegas was "nearby" for everyone (in my speech, I made note of the fact that my sister and her husband probably travelled the farthest to their own wedding, as they lived in Montreal at the time) and it's "affordable".

Other years, we do it where one of the family members live. We had a reunion in Vancouver a couple years ago. It's really only me and my folks who live here, so we had to deal with everything--planning the itinerary, planning the airport pickups and dropoffs, cook the meals, plan the restaurants, etc. By the end of it, my folks and I were sick.

Expenses, availability in the calendar, proximity (your choices pretty much cover all of the US) are key issues. I noticed that with the 4 locations, you would likely need to secure some type of vehicular transportation (unless there is a nearby airport in Galveston and then you can easily get to the Cruise dock). Just another expense.

My experiences with the young people in the family. They love pools! Not just the elaborate ones on the Alaskan cruises, or in Cabo or in Vegas. Even my dinky rinky one in my condo building. They loved it!
    Last edited by manhn; 08-09-2013 at 03:17 AM.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    This doesn't sound like a family reunion, it sounds like a family vacation. A very large family vacation, but still. Typically, aren't reunions held somewhere with meaning to the family? Maybe where the family originated from, where the eldest member of the family lives, where the most of your family is located/from? That seems more common for a reunion and then you can plan from there. I can't imagine a family where 50-75 people can all get together at the same time and afford an expensive vacation. Good luck, though.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    This doesn't sound like a family reunion, it sounds like a family vacation.
    To me, a "family reunion" is where you get to meet other people of your extended family who you don't otherwise normally see.

A "family vacation" is where you and your immediate family go on a road trip to Disneyland or whatever.

The location of the reunion can be elaborate or not. The location of the family vacation can be elaborate or not. Whether there's "meaning" to the trip is up to the individual.