View Poll Results: Which Of These New Movies Interest You? (Trailers Below For Viewing)

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • June 14th - Man of Steel - Action Adventure with Henry Cavill, Amy Adams, Kevin Costner….

23 57.50%
  • June 14th - The Bling Ring - Crime comedy with Emma Watson, Leslie Mann, Gavin Rossdale…

8 20.00%
  • June 14th - This Is the End - Sci-Fi Comedy with Seth Rogen, Jay Baruchel, James Franco…

6 15.00%
  • June 21st - World War Z - Action horror thriller with Brad Pitt, Matthew Fox and David Morse

12 30.00%
  • June 28th - The Heat - Action Comedy with Sandra Bullock, Melissa McCarthy, Michael Rapaport…

9 22.50%
  • July 3rd - The Lone Ranger - Action adventure western with Armie Hammer, Johnny Depp…

8 20.00%
  • July 5th - The Way, Way Back - Comedy with Steve Carell, Toni Collette, Allison Janney…

6 15.00%
  • July 19th - Girl Most Likely - Comedy with Kristen Wiig, Annette Benning, Matt Dillon…

7 17.50%
  • July 19th - The Conjuring - Horror thriller with Patrick Wilson, Vera Farmiga, Lili Taylor…

5 12.50%
  • July 24th - The Wolverine - Action Adventure with Hugh Jackman and Famke Janssen

12 30.00%
  • August 2nd - 2 Guns - Action with Mark Wahlberg, Denzel Washington, James Marsden…

1 2.50%
  • August 9th - Elysium - Sci-Fi with Matt Damon, Jodie Foster, Sharlto Copley and Diego Luna

13 32.50%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 7 of 25 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
    Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Wow. So last week had a LOT of good movies release...this week? Not so much! But first, the two big ones already mentioned:

June 21st - World War Z - Action horror thriller with Brad Pitt, Matthew Fox and David Morse
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcwTxRuq-uk

June 21st - Monsters University - Family Comedy with Billy Crystal, John Goodman, Steve Buscemi, Sean Hayes, Dave Foley, Frank Oz, Helen Mirren, Alfred Molina, Nathan Fillion, Aubrey Plaza, John Krasinski, Bonnie Hunt, Julia Sweeney and John Ratzenberger
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODePHkWSg-U

And the smaller movies (my comments at the end):

June 21 Downloaded (Documentary. From imdb.com: “A documentary that explores the downloading revolution; the kids that created it, the bands and the businesses that were affected by it, and its impact on the world at large.”)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Ai6K2VIEXM

June 21 Unfinished Song – aka Song For Marion (Musical comedy drama with Gemma Arterton, Vanessa Redgrave and Terence Stamp)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeAYP23B2jU

June 21 The Attack (Drama. From imdb.com: “An Arab surgeon living in Tel Aviv discovers a dark secret about his wife in the aftermath of a suicide bombing. Based on a novel by Yasmina Khadra.”)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDDziAQISbY

June 21 Somm (Documentary. From imdb.com: “Four sommeliers attempt to pass the prestigious Master Sommelier exam, a test with one of the lowest pass rates in the world.”))
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4zeyuk8hL8

June 21 Rushlights (Romantic crime thriller with Beau Bridges, Aidan Quinn, Josh Henderson)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2BIR8_XkHg

June 21 Liars All (Thriller with Matt Lanter and Sara Paxton)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFrZM22trGs

June 21 Maniac (Horror thriller with Elijah Wood)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uD02QssnO7w

June 21 This Is Martin Bonner (Drama. From imdb.com: “Martin Bonner has just moved to Nevada from the East Coast, leaving behind his two adult children and a life he spent more than two decades building.”)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrLlYqX5MkA

June 21 The Haunting of Helena - aka Fairy Tale (Horror thriller. From imdb.com: “A single mother moves into a new house with her daughter. Soon after the young girl has her first baby tooth fall off, she begins to recount that she is having nocturnal visits by a tooth fairy. It seems the house has a sinister history.”)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u70dKv2pFqw

June 21 As Cool as I Am (Comedy drama with Claire Danes, James Marsden, Peter Fonda, Anika Noni Rose and Jeremy Sisto)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8qjhzCElM8

June 21 Between Us (Drama with Julia Stiles, Melissa George and Taye Diggs)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbHTANOSRDk

The first three are ones I’m interested in, I hope “The Attack” is not as dark as I fear. I will make sure to watch it when I’m in a good mood. I swear that Unfinished Song/Song for Marion was covered in an earlier thread, but I couldn’t find it on my To See list. It is now, looks like fun.

The other stuff doesn’t look bad…but BORING. The last five are shocking in that the trailers made me think, “Who cares??” Especially The Haunting of Helena/Fairy Tale. Usually horror thrillers at the very least make me shiver at least once. But this one did nothing for me. And the last two dramas have great casts but look so BORING. It’s so wrong to waste good actors like this!
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    I am VERY excited for Maniac. I saw that trailer what seems like well over a year ago and I figured it was only a limited release and I would have to wait for DVD. Glad to see it coming out and I hope it comes here (I assume it is wide release?). I will DEFINITELY be going to see it.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    I am interested in World war Z and Attack. I may see Monsters university, after the reviews come out.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Watched three older movies recently, I recommend them all:

Iron Jawed Angels (HBO movie starring Hilary Swank, Julia Ormond, Vera Farmiga, Patrick Dempsey, Margo Martindale, Molly Parker and Anjelica Huston). It's about the women's suffrage movement circa 1917. It's another one that I couldn't watch in bits and pieces....once I started it I couldn't stop watching. Great performances and story. Spoiler:

Spoiler

Taps (military drama with George C. Scott, Timothy Hutton, Sean Penn, Tom Cruise, Giancarlo Esposito and Ronny Cox). This is one of those movies that I swear I had seen before, but couldn't remember much about. I must have seen this 1981 film around the time it came out so I guess it's been long enough that it deserved another viewing. I'm sure I appreciated it much more than the first time. So great to see all these young actors in either their first major role, or almost their first big role. The DVD extras mentioned

Spoiler

Runaway Train (Jon Voigt, Eric Roberts, Rebecca DeMornay). Okay, I'm recommending this movie in spite of what it's about to sound like... Voigt and Roberts got Oscar nominations for their work in this? Maybe it's just their accents which I found to be awful/over-the-top. Still, I think the script and the direction definitely out-performed these two actors and that's why I'm recommending the movie. DeMornay is fine, it must have been a struggle to not going into melodrama around her co-stars, though! (Sidenote: strange how this movie gets a 7.2 rating on imdb.com and Taps only rates 6.6... )

Quote Originally Posted by all_empty View Post
    I'm not going to screen "World War Z" because I'm off to New Mexico to cover the "The Lone Ranger." Any questions for Johnny Depp lol?
    Ask him if Armie will go out on a date with me.

Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    You saw Captain Jack in 'Dark Shadow' ?
    I did. And I saw Captain Jack in Sweeney Todd. And probably in Alice In Wonderland... Depp has his wild/avant-garde schtick which doesn't change much from weird role to weird role. The costumes vary more from role to role than the performance. I think maybe it's Tim Burton's fault more than Depp's. The director needs to step in and say, "okay, let's try this instead". But I think Burton sees Depp as his alter ego....and Burton must love himself a whole lot because he just lets Depp do whatever he wants. Which is just a slight variation on the same wild character over and over again.

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Taps (military drama with George C. Scott, Timothy Hutton, Sean Penn, Tom Cruise, Giancarlo Esposito and Ronny Cox). This is one of those movies that I swear I had seen before, but couldn't remember much about. I must have seen this 1981 film around the time it came out so I guess it's been long enough that it deserved another viewing. I'm sure I appreciated it much more than the first time. So great to see all these young actors in either their first major role, or almost their first big role.
    One of my favourite movies from the 80s. That was such a good period for Hutton, following so closely after Ordinary People (one of my top 5 faves of all time). Taps didn't get the same level of attention, but I thought it was amazing -- I remember crying my eyes out when I saw it in the theatre. I saw it again not that long ago too, and I thought it held up very well indeed.

I remember liking Iron-Jawed Angels too, though I don't really recall any details.

vCash
    A couple of indie movies I watched this weekend:

Compliance, with Ann Dowd and Dreama Walker. I can't say too much about this without giving things away, other than it's great fodder for "what would you do" philosophical conversations. It's also highly disturbing to watch -- I had to watch 2 episodes of Big Bang Theory after to recover. But fascinating.

Obselidia: quirky little film about a guy obsessed with the past and things gone by, writing an "encyclopedia of obsolete things." Some interesting ideas here too, but much more palatable -- and there's some really great cinematography as well.

Just me
    vCash
    I've seen both of these and enjoyed them both at the time, but I think I'd only re-watch Taps.
    If this is to end in fire
    Then we will all burn together

vCash
    I wonder if Claire Danes signed on for As Cool As I Am before Homeland. It can't be any worse than the time she played a Polish figure skater in some post-apocalyptic movie with Joaquin Phoenix. Or that awful RomCom with SJP.

vCash
    I heard the filmmaker for this interviewed last night, and it sounds fascinating. Who knew disco was so revolutionary? (tongue firmly planted in cheek)

Secret Disco Revolution

Premiers at Open Roof in Toronto on the 27th, followed by select US cities on June 28.

Left in the Kiss-n-Cry
    vCash
    I saw "Man of Steel" and thought it was just plain awful, dull, and bloated. They didn't do enough to make the story interesting or make you as a viewer remotely connect with the characters, and the script is so humorless. What I loved about the 1978 movie with Christopher Reeve was it had a great blend of action and whimsy. This new incarnation is just a CGI fest (and not always well done, parts of it looked more like a video game than a hi-tech movie).

Cavill is sexy, but burdened with a script that makes Superman a pacifist bore. Michael Shannon, who I normally love, is completely miscast. Amy Adams and Diane Lane are wasted. Kevin Costner does his every-man character (again). Russell Crowe keeps popping up for terrible plot hole reasons. Laurence Fishburne showed up for the paycheck.

My grade: D+
    I meant to take the high road.... but I missed the exit.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    I also saw Man of Steel, I really liked it. I'm going to spoiler tag my thoughts just in case I might give anything away.

Spoiler

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    I also noticed the ridiculous product placements in Man of Steel. It reminded me of a music video. I don't mind it in a music video because music videos are guaranteed to not make a return, giant movies like these can make a return on their own. No need to shove pancakes down our throat.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by peibeck View Post
    Cavill is sexy, but burdened with a script that makes Superman a pacifist bore. Michael Shannon, who I normally love, is completely miscast. Amy Adams and Diane Lane are wasted. Kevin Costner does his every-man character (again). Russell Crowe keeps popping up for terrible plot hole reasons. Laurence Fishburne showed up for the paycheck.
    I agree with everything stated above, except the comment on Diane Lane. I loved that natural look on her in the movie. Still, despite the long and boring fight scenes, I loved MoS, especially the parts about Clark's childhood. And of course, you can't get any hotter than Cavill.

I also saw the Bling Ring with the stunningly gorgeous Emma Watson. Another very good film from Coppola. Some would criticize the lack of insight that could account for the characters behaviour but I take it Coppola purposely enhanced the lack of depth in those utterly superficial teens. So jealous of Paris Hilton dressing room.

Yesterday, I watched Star Trek Into Darkness, which was released only about 10 days ago here in France. Not bad but I expected more weird haircuts.

vCash
    I don't mind product placements all that much especially since we don't have any I-Hops here in Canada.

vCash
    Regardless of the differing opinions, I plan on seeing Man of Steel- but with lowered expectations now.

I am getting a bit tired of the CGI/3D/action sequence format. Can't wait for Nov. when all the indies and drama genre movies start showing up.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    I don't mind product placements all that much especially since we don't have any I-Hops here in Canada.
    Sure we do.

Not that I eat there ... and seeing Superman eat there aint gonna change that!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis@BC View Post
    Sure we do.

Not that I eat there ... and seeing Superman eat there aint gonna change that!
    Oh, I see you are right. I have never noticed them before.

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    Regardless of the differing opinions, I plan on seeing Man of Steel- but with lowered expectations now.

I am getting a bit tired of the CGI/3D/action sequence format. Can't wait for Nov. when all the indies and drama genre movies start showing up.
    Keep your expectations high for Henry Cavill's hotness.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    You're not missing a thing - the food is majorly overrated. It used to be good.

Left in the Kiss-n-Cry
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyCurry View Post
    I agree with everything stated above, except the comment on Diane Lane. I loved that natural look on her in the movie.
    I thought Diane Lane was fine in the movie, but I have no clue why they hired an actress of her stature and then gave her basically nothing to do!

PeterG, you're not fooling me. You only liked the movie because of Henry Cavill getting frequently shirtless. (IHOP had nothing to do with it!)
    I meant to take the high road.... but I missed the exit.

Page 7 of 25 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast