View Poll Results: Which Of These New Movies Interest You? (Trailers Below For Viewing)

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • June 14th - Man of Steel - Action Adventure with Henry Cavill, Amy Adams, Kevin Costner….

23 57.50%
  • June 14th - The Bling Ring - Crime comedy with Emma Watson, Leslie Mann, Gavin Rossdale…

8 20.00%
  • June 14th - This Is the End - Sci-Fi Comedy with Seth Rogen, Jay Baruchel, James Franco…

6 15.00%
  • June 21st - World War Z - Action horror thriller with Brad Pitt, Matthew Fox and David Morse

12 30.00%
  • June 28th - The Heat - Action Comedy with Sandra Bullock, Melissa McCarthy, Michael Rapaport…

9 22.50%
  • July 3rd - The Lone Ranger - Action adventure western with Armie Hammer, Johnny Depp…

8 20.00%
  • July 5th - The Way, Way Back - Comedy with Steve Carell, Toni Collette, Allison Janney…

6 15.00%
  • July 19th - Girl Most Likely - Comedy with Kristen Wiig, Annette Benning, Matt Dillon…

7 17.50%
  • July 19th - The Conjuring - Horror thriller with Patrick Wilson, Vera Farmiga, Lili Taylor…

5 12.50%
  • July 24th - The Wolverine - Action Adventure with Hugh Jackman and Famke Janssen

12 30.00%
  • August 2nd - 2 Guns - Action with Mark Wahlberg, Denzel Washington, James Marsden…

1 2.50%
  • August 9th - Elysium - Sci-Fi with Matt Damon, Jodie Foster, Sharlto Copley and Diego Luna

13 32.50%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 21 of 25 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast
    Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Weekend box office chart

2 Guns debuts at #1 with 27 million on a budget of 74 million. Let's hope the overseas box office kicks in soon. Maybe I'm speaking too soon, though. Last week I was all about The Wolverine (which is at #2 this week with 21 million). It's now up to 95 million and an extra 160 million from the international box office, so the 115 million budget is more than covered for. The Conjuring has surpassed the 100 million mark and Blue Jasmine has seen a 240% increase in theatres, now up to 50 where it's taking in just over 37,000 per theatre. The closest movie to that per theatre amount is 2 Guns...at just under 9,000 per theatre.

Onto this week's movies. The major releases (in bold) followed by some smaller films not mentioned yet. And my thoughts at the end.

August 9th - Elysium - Futuristic Sci-Fi with Matt Damon, Jodie Foster, Sharlto Copley and Diego Luna
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QILNSgou5BY
    12.5 million views

August 9th - We're the Millers - Comedy with Jennifer Aniston, Emma Roberts, Ed Helms and Jason Sudeikis
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDWJ3lFiXUQ
    7.6 million views

August 7th - Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters - Family Adventure with Logan Lerman, Nathan Fillion, Anthony Head and Stanley Tucci
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KoOtiuSjuI
    4.6 million views

August 9th – Planes - Family comedy with Dane Cook, Stacy Keach, Brad Garrett, Teri Hatcher, Julia Louis-Dreyfus, John Cleese, Cedric the Entertainer, Val Kilmer and Anthony Edwards
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KumjBXHdzY
    2.3 million views

August 9 - I Give It a Year – Romantic comedy with Rose Byrne, Minnie Driver, Jayson Flemyng, Olivia Colman and Anna Faris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Od8DhL1hyfw
    2 million views

August 9 - In a World... – Comedy with Nick Offerman, Rob Corddry, Geena Davis, Ken Marino, Demetri Martin and Lake Bell
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZHBjLFu5is

August 9 - The Good Son: The Life of Ray 'Boom Boom' Mancini – Documentary. From imdb.com: “The outcome of the 1982 WBC Lightweight title bout between Ray "Boom Boom" Mancini and Duk Koo Kim is examined.”
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRdO94yTilE

August 9 - Jug Face – Horror thriller with Sean Young and Sean Bridgers
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGSvhDcimJg

August 9 - Blood – Crime thriller with Mark Strong, Paul Bettany, Brian Cox
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RSqvXsvn6o

August 9 - Lovelace – Biographical drama with Amanda Seyfried, Peter Sarsgaard, Juno Temple, Sharon Stone, Robert Patrick, Chris Noth, Adam Brody, Hank Azaria, James Franco, Eric Roberts, Chloë Sevigny, Bobby Cannavale and Debi Mazar
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vJADecKL-4
    2 million views

August 9 - Prince Avalanche – Comedy drama with Paul Rudd and Emile Hirsch
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJGEu268KvI

August 9 - Off Label – Documentary. From imdb.com: “A road trip through medicalized America, examining the pervasiveness of pharmaceutical drugs through the lives of eight very unique characters.”
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6eanZNj-ryA

I Give It A Year and In A World... both look hilarious, can't wait to see them. The Good Son looks like a well-made movie, but I think it'd depress me, so I'm skipping it. I'm interested in Jug Head, it looks more like a scary drama more than a horror movie, though. Like Shirley Jackson's stories. I found the trailers for the last three movies to be kind of vague and meandering. I was interested after checking out the imdb.com entry, but then less so after watching the trailers. None are going on my To See list...well...maybe Lovelace as Hank Azaria was on the Daily Show last week to promote the movie. The first hour is the story told in the fantasy-like Hollywood way and the second hour is the story re-told as more real, gritty and true-to-life. This idea of telling the story in two varied ways has me kind of interested. What say you about this week's releases?
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    Just watched "We're the Millers." It was crude and crass, but really funny.

Nick Offerman steals the show. I think it'll do well this weekend.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by all_empty View Post
    Just watched "We're the Millers." It was crude and crass, but really funny.

Nick Offerman steals the show. I think it'll do well this weekend.
    The preview for this had me laughing so hard. I definitely want to go see it. I was planning on seeing a movie tomorrow (The Conjuring, which I have been saying I would go see for over a week but never get around to) and I wish this was playing! Maybe this weekend I will catch this one.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    I finally went and saw The Conjuring. I thought it was a great horror movie and I don't get to say that very much these days. Normally I am not a fan of the haunting/possession themes because I don't believe in them at all (I can at least believe in a crazy guy murdering people) but this was really well done and worked. I loved how the movie was not only set in the 70s but it had the feeling of movies made in the 70s. The far away shots that zoomed in. The opening credits and the way they did the title. Well done and I definitely left feeling uneasy and anxious. I would say it did its job!
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Oh, and I can't wait to see this when it comes out:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2229499/?ref_=sr_1
    -Brian

vCash
    Saw 2 Guns. I am a little lost for words to adequately describe this thing. I have seen a lot of movies in my time and this one is perhaps among the most formulaic I have ever seen. There is nothing new, unusual, or memorable about this movie. If you have ever seen even one cops and robbers type movie then chances are you know how this one ends. The bantering between the two main characters was entertaining but does not make up for the rest of the film. JMVHO

One movie I do highly recommend is Fruitvale Station. An excellent first effort for it's director. It is inspired by a famous shooting but takes the unusual route of recounting the vctim's last day on earth, rather than focusing on the shooting itself.
    Last edited by Buzz; 08-08-2013 at 12:47 AM.

vCash
    Just watched Moonrise Kingdom... pretty bad! :|
    Mud last night, enjoyed that one.
    Beasts of the Southern Wild.. also bad.
    I just seem to constantly pick horrible movies lately... I need something good! :p

having a nice day
    vCash
    "the Impossible" is great movie for when it's 105 outside. All that water-whee! it's a good movie, the kid-Tom Holland_ is really really good in his role. He should have gotten the Academy Award nomination, not Naomi Watts. Her--oh puleeze. Anyway it's worth watching once.

"Collateral"- I thought from the pristine box this was a new film. It's not but it's still a dayum good film. Music is grreeat. Tom Cruise is grrreat. Jamie Foxx is grrrreat. It's one of thiose "okay I need a paycheck" films taken to a highter level by two grrreat actors who seemed to not be able to help themselves from elevating the material. I watched it twice.

Someone told me I would like "The Adjustment Bureau." Well I did not. Silly. Would rather have read the story thanksverymuch.

vCash
    I've got my ticket to Elysium, can't wait to see it tomorrow! Sharlto Copley looks beyond badass as Kruger!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Spazactaz View Post
    Just watched Moonrise Kingdom... pretty bad! :|
    Mud last night, enjoyed that one.
    Beasts of the Southern Wild.. also bad.
    I just seem to constantly pick horrible movies lately... I need something good! :p
    I actually enjoyed all three of the above, but can understand how opinions may differ...

Moonrise Kingdom is actually pretty similar to Wes Anderson's other nostalgia films (i.e. Royal Tannenbaums, The Darjeeling Limited) - some people are of the opinion that the quirkiness in the humour and interactions a little too forced.

Mud seems to follow the template of several other coming-of-age films a little too closely for the screenplay to be considered original (To Kill a Mockingbird).

Beasts of the Southern Wild tried to do the best it could to be epic given its rather minimal budget, but the results are all over the place (using untrained actors/actresses worked both for and against the overall effect).

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    I'm house-sitting again, time to catch some Netflix movies:

Finally got to see the end of Stake Land (Connor Paolo from TV's Revenge along with Kelly McGillis). I started this when I house-sat in May and I'm glad I got to see the rest. Yes, it's a post-apocalyptic zombie-vampire movie, but it's a lot more than that. It's a bit of an art film masquerading as a horror flick. It has a very moody, melancholy feel to it but it's not too heavy to bog you down. Great musical score and direction, a perfect tone for someone who likes a vampire movie with a bit more bite. (Sorry, couldn't resist! ) Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNC2HwAaWWE

I found a couple of movies on my TO See list which no libraries here carry. The first is Phantoms with Ben Affleck and Peter O'Toole. Based on a Dean Koontz novel, has some nice moments but has a better start than finish, but it was fun to watch on a lazy Saturday. And Affleck is a cowboy hat... Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlbsHAmPxR0

One that I wanted to see for a while is Predators (Adrien Brody, Laurence Fishburne, TOpher Grace and Danny Trejo). It was a lot of fun, as I expected. WONDERFUL first hour, then it got bogged down a little in the conclusion, but not so much that I wouldn't recommend it. A movie that was worth the wait. Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9u8vZwvP57Y

The Butterfly Effect (Ashton Kuchter). Quite a good story, but Kuchter was not quite up to the challenge of this movie. He did well, but his smirky Punk'd personality will always overshadow much of his work. The movie seemed a little long to me, but I did like how they wrapped things up so that we ended up with a satisfying conclusion. Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8_dgqfPXFg
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    So, I saw Elysium. It doesn't have quite the emotional impact of District 9, and some of the action sequences were annoyingly blurry, but I still give it a solid 4 out of 5 stars. And apologies to Matt Damon (Maatt Damooon), but Sharlto Copley stole the show. His character, Kruger, is not only awesomely badass (and weirdly attractive for a hobo cyborg, but hey, it's Copley), but also genuinely f*cking terrifying! There was no warmth whatsoever in his eyes, even when he smiled, made jokes, and acted all gentle and caring. Creepy as all f*ck, that one.

I'm definitely seeing this film again, in part because I suspect it's a grower, but mostly because I kept getting distracted by the other people in the theatre. Seriously, I've never been to a screening were so many people arrived late, couldn't find their seats, had to go to the loo in the middle of the film, and were all unfamiliar with the concept of ducking. And the guy in front of me had an afro that blocked most of the subtitles, which wasn't a problem while the dialogue was in English, but the bits in Spanish (and Kruger's feral accent) had me craning my neck to see what was being said. So there's a Sunday matinée screening coming up, as soon as my paycheck comes in.

vCash
    Just watched Grown Ups and Grown Ups 2... both terrible! Bahh lol.
    Is The Hangover 3 part series any good??

vCash
    The first one is sometimes quite funny, if immensely immature. Don't bother with the sequels.

vCash
    I saw Elysium tonight. Always enjoy Matt, and Copley was great - Sofia Alexandra explains him perfectly. I really liked the movie, not love. Both my buddy and I found Jodie not that great. I think we both had very high expectations for her.

vCash
    Cosmopolis... Worst movie EVER? I give up for a while. That was torture.

vCash
    I watched The Thing with Kurt Russell and others on Friday night with a friend. I can't say it scared me, but as a movie itself I thought it was fairly interesting, and certainly a huge step up from the average horror movie with all the trust issues and psychological warfare going on. I find it laughable that this movie was heavily criticized in its time for having too much gore and not focusing enough on characterization. If only they could have seen where movies were going!

vCash
    I have been out of touch with movies last one month. Any recommendations from currently in theatres movies? I don't like horror films. From the posts above, Elysium sounds like a 'may be'.

Loving on babies!
    vCash
    My only "must see" movie at this point is "The Butler". Forrest Whitaker totally rocks.
    I am free of all prejudices. I hate everyone equally.~W. C. Fields

Left in the Kiss-n-Cry
    vCash
    Vash, if you are still having CGI burnout "Elysium" is not for you. I really enjoyed the cast, and I agree that Sharlto Copely stole the show. Jodie Foster is sadly just in the film to sport a Condoleezza Rice haircut. I think the film, sadly, suffers under it's "haves-vs-have nots" theme by being so heavy-handed.

Has anyone seen "Blue Jasmine" or "The Spectacular Now" yet? Those are the only two films I'm really looking forward too seeing at theatres in the near future.
    I meant to take the high road.... but I missed the exit.

Page 21 of 25 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast