View Poll Results: Which Of These New Movies Interest You? (Trailers Below For Viewing)

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • June 14th - Man of Steel - Action Adventure with Henry Cavill, Amy Adams, Kevin Costner….

23 57.50%
  • June 14th - The Bling Ring - Crime comedy with Emma Watson, Leslie Mann, Gavin Rossdale…

8 20.00%
  • June 14th - This Is the End - Sci-Fi Comedy with Seth Rogen, Jay Baruchel, James Franco…

6 15.00%
  • June 21st - World War Z - Action horror thriller with Brad Pitt, Matthew Fox and David Morse

12 30.00%
  • June 28th - The Heat - Action Comedy with Sandra Bullock, Melissa McCarthy, Michael Rapaport…

9 22.50%
  • July 3rd - The Lone Ranger - Action adventure western with Armie Hammer, Johnny Depp…

8 20.00%
  • July 5th - The Way, Way Back - Comedy with Steve Carell, Toni Collette, Allison Janney…

6 15.00%
  • July 19th - Girl Most Likely - Comedy with Kristen Wiig, Annette Benning, Matt Dillon…

7 17.50%
  • July 19th - The Conjuring - Horror thriller with Patrick Wilson, Vera Farmiga, Lili Taylor…

5 12.50%
  • July 24th - The Wolverine - Action Adventure with Hugh Jackman and Famke Janssen

12 30.00%
  • August 2nd - 2 Guns - Action with Mark Wahlberg, Denzel Washington, James Marsden…

1 2.50%
  • August 9th - Elysium - Sci-Fi with Matt Damon, Jodie Foster, Sharlto Copley and Diego Luna

13 32.50%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 20 of 25 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast
    Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    ... and then I will rent Life of Pi on my way home. Yall convinced me to give it a try.
    Hooray for the power of positive peer pressure.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    I've seen a number of movies recently that I've had a hard time trying to think of a word to describe them. What I've decided on is "dense". Like waking through a pool of quicksand. Now that's not necessarily a bad thing. The quicksand probably feels good against your body...and it'd be an excellent workout. But tough. That's kind of what these movies felt like to me. Tough to get through, but more often that not, worth it...

A Dangerous Method (Michael Fassbender, Keira Knightley, Viggo Mortensen) - This was the best of the "dense" bunch. Not as tough to get through as the others. A good (great?) story, very well directed and nice performances from all the cast. I had posted earlier about Knightley and wondering if there was much there, but the more I think of her performance in this movie, the more I like it. Actually, come to think of it, I think she probably steals the movie from the other actors. Don't try to get away with that on the imdb message boards, where most people are ripping her to shreds. But what they complain about is how irritating the character is (mainly her mannerisms). Irritating doesn't mean the acting performance was bad. Just because someone makes you uncomfortable with their performance, it doesn't mean they failed at their job. Rather, I think she was most successful in this movie as she got such a reaction out of so many people.

Salaam Bombay! directed by Mira Nair - This one had been on my To See list forever! A very good movie, but it took me many sittings to get through. Tough subject matter...the daily lives of abandoned children in India. Heartbreaking, really...but worthwhile viewing if you care about what life is like for different people on our planet. Nair has also directed The Namesake (2006 starring Kal Penn), Amelia (2009 with Hilary Swank and Richard Gere) and Vanity Fair (2004 with Reese Witherspoon and Jonathan Rhys Meyers).

Last Night (Keira Knightley, Sam Worthington and Eva Mendes) - I found this movie to be more interesting after having finished it and watching the DVD extras. Talk about which is more hurtful in a relationship...

Spoiler

I had a tough time getting into this one because I find people who are uncommital in their relationships to be really frustrating. People who don't want to be alone, so they get in a relationship that doesn't really fill the needs they need to have met. Anyway, I can't say this movie is bad, but I can't say it's great either.

Grey Owl (Pierce Brosnan) - Another one to watch to be more aware of a certain time in history. Just not a fun movie...hardship after difficulty after problem. An interesting story, the script just needed some lighter moments throughout to balance out the feel of the movie.

Les Miserables - Okay, I just referred to this as trash and that was too harsh. But it was a mess. I've never seen the stage production, so maybe making a movie of the play would never have pleased me...only three good songs for a 2.5 hour movie? And I hate the musical filler in between the rare good song that sounds like the actors just have to make up a melody with their lines. So they're not songs, just actors reciting their lines in a sing-songy way. Blech. And I didn't get the Javert character. Just shoot him in the head already, Valjean!! I liked Hathaway and Fantine, but her big screen moment had been built up SO much before seeing it that I ended up thinking it was good, but not necessarily great. Oh, and were Cohen and Carter on loan from the Sweeney Todd set???
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    Enjoying Summer Under The Stars on TCM. Bogie salute was great! Love, love, love The Big Sleep!

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    Tonight I think I am going to rent Maniac on iTunes. It pains me to pay $7 for a movie rental but I don't know if this will be out any time soon. I might try to hold off a bit longer and hope it appears in Redbox soon.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post

A Dangerous Method (Michael Fassbender, Keira Knightley, Viggo Mortensen) - This was the best of the "dense" bunch. Not as tough to get through as the others. A good (great?) story, very well directed and nice performances from all the cast. I had posted earlier about Knightley and wondering if there was much there, but the more I think of her performance in this movie, the more I like it. Actually, come to think of it, I think she probably steals the movie from the other actors. Don't try to get away with that on the imdb message boards, where most people are ripping her to shreds. But what they complain about is how irritating the character is (mainly her mannerisms). Irritating doesn't mean the acting performance was bad. Just because someone makes you uncomfortable with their performance, it doesn't mean they failed at their job. Rather, I think she was most successful in this movie as she got such a reaction out of so many people.
    Knightley did not steal the movie for me, Mortensen did, but then, Freud had all the best lines. Knightley is so OTT, so out there, that I have a hard time believing her character was ever successfully cured/healed enough that she could go on to have a career as a therapist herself. It's not that the performance is bad, but it just is too strong and it's like KK is in a different movie from everyone else.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by emason View Post
    Knightley did not steal the movie for me, Mortensen did, but then, Freud had all the best lines. Knightley is so OTT, so out there, that I have a hard time believing her character was ever successfully cured/healed enough that she could go on to have a career as a therapist herself. It's not that the performance is bad, but it just is too strong and it's like KK is in a different movie from everyone else.
    ITA. I found Knightly nearly unwatchable in that film -- thank goodness Fassbender and Mortensen were both so great. I agree her character is hard to like, that's definitely part of it, but her performance was just one bad acting decision from beginning to end, imo.

Frankly, though, I just find her too modern for all the period films she does. All of the films I've liked her in have been modern settings, and all the ones I've hated her in have been period pieces. Coincidence?

having a nice day
    vCash
    "A Dangerous Method" was so Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. I can't believe I remember seeing it lol.

"Beasts of the Southern Wild"was....wild! I think it's one of those it or hate it films. I loved it but not enough to see it again any time soon.

"God Bless America"-lol. I *know* you have to be American to get it. Lol. It's....lol, pretty grim lol.

I also got "Under the Tuscan Sun" because this young lady at the library said her mom really liked it. Well usually that's a big NOT fir me but there was nothing else so....lol I liked It too and want my own house in Tuscany too dayumit! ;-)

vCash
    An interesting interview recently with Stephen Spielberg in which he stated that Hollywood is so busy making these big-budget, blockbuster movies where they hope to make multi-million dollar windfalls that they are no longer making "small" films with story-lines that matter. Simply put, he said that Hollywood no longer makes movies with "magic".

Since I rarely go to movies anymore, I hate to say that I "agree" but truly, there haven't been too many movies out the last couple of years that even intrigue me enough to want to spend the money it takes for admission these days.

However, there is on film coming up that I do want to see and that is, "Parkland". Dependent upon whether or not it lives up to its current pre-screening buzz and dependent upon whether or not I can handle watching the topic on screen - even 50 years later.

vCash
    Just saw Pacific Rim. It's a bit ridiculous, but not annoyingly so; in fact it was quite entertaining, and gorgeous. Definitely a film to see on a big screen! The monster designs were awesome, and I loved the scenes in Hong Kong, with all the neon lights everywhere.

And I love Mako, and the fact that she and Mr Main Character McWhatsisface*

Spoiler

One thing that bugged me, which bugs me in plenty of films: this was yet another film with plenty of dudes, but hardly any women, even though there were parts that could just as well have been filled by an actress. Why not have one or both of the kooky science dudes be kooky science chicks? Why couldn't the Hannibal Chau character have been an awesomely, fabulously OTT woman instead? Just wondering...

Next stop: Elysium.

*Seriously, what was the guy's name? I had frickin' subtitles and I still can't remember it! Also, I kept confusing him and the two Australian guys. Too many blond macho dudes on the screen!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Peaches LaTour View Post
    An interesting interview recently with Stephen Spielberg in which he stated that Hollywood is so busy making these big-budget, blockbuster movies where they hope to make multi-million dollar windfalls that they are no longer making "small" films with story-lines that matter. Simply put, he said that Hollywood no longer makes movies with "magic".

Since I rarely go to movies anymore, I hate to say that I "agree" but truly, there haven't been too many movies out the last couple of years that even intrigue me enough to want to spend the money it takes for admission these days.

However, there is on film coming up that I do want to see and that is, "Parkland". Dependent upon whether or not it lives up to its current pre-screening buzz and dependent upon whether or not I can handle watching the topic on screen - even 50 years later.
    Interesting abt Spielberg.
    I so agree about movies. I used to go to see a movie in the theatre at least once a week, probably 6 or more in a month. It seems like the last few years, I can skip weeks at a time. I could have gone to a movie today, but nothing really interested me of what I have not seen. And I enjoy all types of movies, comedy, drama, indie, foreign, action etc.

vCash
    Just saw the new Woody Allen, Blue Jasmine. Did not like.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    I liked TCM on facebook and today they posted this:

Subscribe today! Our monthly viewer's guide is the best way to find out what's on TCM when you're not visiting tcm.com

IT'S A PRINT MAGAZINE!!! What, are their viewers old or something??

Two movie reviews: A Javier Barden double-bill!

Before Night Falls (with Olivier Martinez, Johnny Depp, Diego Luna and Sean Penn) - Another one I finally saw that's been on my list for quite a while. A very good movie...I know he had a rough life, but surely there were some happy times. And the 10 years he lived in the U.S. they seemed to skip over. That period seemed more devoid of happiness than his life in Cuba. Although it appeared he died in the same shitty apartment he first lived in (or one equally BLECH looking). I recommend it in spite of this quibbles.

Skyfall. Wonderful movie!!! This is the kind of movie that I can't find fault with. So entertaining from start to finish. I had it as a 7-day express view from the library, so I was going to watch it on my own to get it back to the library in time, but I waited to watch it with my Mom because the opening scene was so amazing. Mom said it had been a LONG time since she had seen a Bond movie, she liked seeing the references to the older movies. She seemed disappointed that there was less humour in this...I told her this was lighter than the previous two films by far! And I had to tell her that the days of campy Bond are behind us.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    Can't wait to see that one! It sounds like a period piece.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    ^

vCash
    This article might be of interest - casting directors and how they influence what we see:
    http://www.cnn.com/2013/08/03/showbi...html?hpt=hp_c4

vCash
    I saw The Spectacular Now tonight, which was really good and well done. All the characters looked real (i.e. not tons of makeup, acne) and felt so real. They weren't stereotypical and made dumb mistakes. The ex-girlfriend wasn't a typically bitchy cheerleader type. The scene where they felt have sex was so honest and not at all cheap. Overall, I wanted to scream and laugh and cry over some of what these characters did; I cared so deeply about them. I really recommend it.

Miles Teller was awesome and someone please tell me that Shailene Woodley is done with that terrible American Teenager show.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by oleada View Post
    ... and someone please tell me that Shailene Woodley is done with that terrible American Teenager show.
    Well she's going to be pretty huge with the Divergent trilogy so I'd imagine she wouldn't have time for drek tv even if she wanted to.

Mad for mangelwurzels
    vCash
    Two movie reviews: A Javier Barden double-bill!

Before Night Falls (with Olivier Martinez, Johnny Depp, Diego Luna and Sean Penn) - Another one I finally saw that's been on my list for quite a while. A very good movie...I know he had a rough life, but surely there were some happy times. And the 10 years he lived in the U.S. they seemed to skip over. That period seemed more devoid of happiness than his life in Cuba. Although it appeared he died in the same shitty apartment he first lived in (or one equally BLECH looking). I recommend it in spite of this quibbles.
    I saw this a few years ago, and thought Bardem was brilliant. It was tough viewing but worth the pain, I think, because it gave me a greater insight into AIDS, far more than a film like Philadelphia did. I didn't really have any quibbles, though if you're looking for a night in watching a fun film, this isn't it.

Skyfall.
    I can't bear James Bond films. I think they glamourise violence, and make it look exciting and sexy. I know a lot of people disagree with me. *shrug*
    I hear outside a million panicking birds, and know even out there comfort is done with; it has shattered even the stars, this creature at last come home to me.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    Can't wait to see that one! It sounds like a period piece.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

Page 20 of 25 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast