View Poll Results: Which Of These New Movies Interest You? (Trailers Below For Viewing)

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • June 14th - Man of Steel - Action Adventure with Henry Cavill, Amy Adams, Kevin Costner….

23 57.50%
  • June 14th - The Bling Ring - Crime comedy with Emma Watson, Leslie Mann, Gavin Rossdale…

8 20.00%
  • June 14th - This Is the End - Sci-Fi Comedy with Seth Rogen, Jay Baruchel, James Franco…

6 15.00%
  • June 21st - World War Z - Action horror thriller with Brad Pitt, Matthew Fox and David Morse

12 30.00%
  • June 28th - The Heat - Action Comedy with Sandra Bullock, Melissa McCarthy, Michael Rapaport…

9 22.50%
  • July 3rd - The Lone Ranger - Action adventure western with Armie Hammer, Johnny Depp…

8 20.00%
  • July 5th - The Way, Way Back - Comedy with Steve Carell, Toni Collette, Allison Janney…

6 15.00%
  • July 19th - Girl Most Likely - Comedy with Kristen Wiig, Annette Benning, Matt Dillon…

7 17.50%
  • July 19th - The Conjuring - Horror thriller with Patrick Wilson, Vera Farmiga, Lili Taylor…

5 12.50%
  • July 24th - The Wolverine - Action Adventure with Hugh Jackman and Famke Janssen

12 30.00%
  • August 2nd - 2 Guns - Action with Mark Wahlberg, Denzel Washington, James Marsden…

1 2.50%
  • August 9th - Elysium - Sci-Fi with Matt Damon, Jodie Foster, Sharlto Copley and Diego Luna

13 32.50%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 17 of 25 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    Last night we were bored and browsing on Netflix and found a documentary called "Happy People" about life on the Taiga in Siberia. It was fascinating! Someone may have mentioned it before but I can't be sure. I suggest checking it out on a day when you just want to watch something interesting and easy. It is not exciting or thrilling but we loved it just the same.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

Afterlife
    vCash
    This makes me so happy.
    "I think I saw what happens next It was just a glimpse of you Like looking through a window Or a shallow sea Could you see me? And after all this time It's like nothing else we used to know After all the hangers-on are done Hanging on to the dead lights Of the afterglow" Afterlife - Arcade Fire

vCash
    On the documentary front, "20 Feet from Stardom" is doing reasonably well for summertime - it has quite the cast of interviewees, both the stars as well as the backup singers (among them was Judith Hill, who had most recently made top 8 on "The Voice" season 4).

I wonder what the release strategy is for "The Way Way Back" - My guess is they're going to try for a semi-wide release by August if results are consistently good...
    Last edited by Seerek; 07-23-2013 at 04:13 PM.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    I predict The Wolverine will top the box office this weekend. Anyone care to bet against me? Blue Jasmine was mentioned earlier, but there was no trailer available for it at that time, so this is the first trailer posted for Woody's new movie. Doesn't look great, IMHO...

July 24th - The Wolverine - Action Adventure with Hugh Jackman and Famke Janssen
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rh1LdTFkm7I
    27 million views

July 26th - The To Do List - Comedy with Aubrey Plaza, Rachel Bilson, Bill Hader, Andy Samberg, Scott Porter, Connie Britton and Christopher Mintz-Plasse
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKGigK17eSs
    1.5 million views

July 26th - Blue Jasmine - Comedy with Alec Baldwin, Cate Blanchett, Bobby Cannavale, Louis C.K., Andrew Dice Clay, Sally Hawkins and Peter Sarsgaard
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FER3C394aI8

And this week's other releases below. Four great, four NOT so great. I'm looking forward to the first four, the last four are non-scary horror and boring "thriller" movies. And Frankenstein's Army looked SO bad that I deleted all the info to spare you having to know more about this movie!

July 26 - Blackfish – Documentary. From imdb.com: “Notorious killer whale Tilikum is responsible for the deaths of three individuals, including a top killer whale trainer. Blackfish shows the sometimes devastating consequences of keeping such intelligent and sentient creatures in captivity”
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLOeH-Oq_1Y

July 26 - The Time Being – Mystery with Wes Bentley, Frank Langella and Sarah Paulson)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yLGgNheu7Q

July 26 - Rising From Ashes - Documentary about the first Rwandan national cycling team in their bid to make history and represent their country at the 2012 Olympics.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXfq0DxS4KM

July 22 - Springsteen and I – Documentary: “Forty years ago, Bruce Springsteen burst onto the rock scene and changed it forever. His music defines a generation, but behind the songs were remarkable stories about the fans who lived them. Now audiences everywhere can discover how the sound of Bruce Springsteen became the soundtrack to our lives.”
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVQUeCi9V0s
    4 million views

July 25 - Apartment 1303 – Horror with Mischa Barton, Rebecca De Mornay,
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ruBY0VhY1I

July 26 - Stranded – Horror sci-fi with Christian Slater and Brendan Fehr)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQaEb6gaoHI

July 26 - Breaking the Girls – Crime thriller with Shawn Ashmore
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4yEqsVTNAU

Frankenstein's Army
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    I just saw 'The Way Way Back' and really enjoyed it. Was really funny at times and poignant. Liam James, the kid, is really good. Good story on the impact of divorce on kids and how the parents are so oblivious. Toni Collette was really good also, no suprise there. Allison Janney was pretty funny, always enjoy her. Sam Rockwell was very good too.

vCash
    Going to see R. I. P. D. this weekend. (date movie)

ridin my horse named Bob
    vCash
    I saw "Coriolanus" because Ralph Fiennes and Gerard Butler were the stars-um so was Vanessa Redgrave. It's a modern-day setting of a play I'd never heard of by Shakespeare. After some puzzling I decided there were two main themes to it: "to thine own self be true" and a pretty good primer on political manipulation. The political part doesn't seem to have changed any several hundred yrs on. Ralph Fiennes did v nice job directing this film.
    Meantime I finished the novel "cloud atlas" abd quite definitely if you hated the film you should read the novel. Everything that seemed "?? " in the film is crystal clear in the book AND the book is hella better than the film.

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by immoimeme View Post
    Meantime I finished the novel "cloud atlas" abd quite definitely if you hated the film you should read the novel. Everything that seemed "?? " in the film is crystal clear in the book AND the book is hella better than the film.
    Yup. I read the book before the film, which is why I hated the film so much. And that was with incredibly low expectations -- as I read the book I thought "there's no way they can make a movie of this ..."

I really enjoyed Coriolanus too. Most Shakespeare plays translate rather seamlessly if they choose to put them in a modern setting, but Coriolanus is particularly apt. Fiennes is great of course, and Vanessa Redgrave was electrifying, but I also loved Jessica Chastain's performance. (What an amazing year that was for her, with The Help, Tree of Life, and Take Shelter.)

(And you've never heard of the play before? I'd never seen it before but I did know it -- originally because of the misogynist-but-hilarious lyrics in "Brush up Your Shakespeare" from Kiss Me Kate. )

Briber of judges
    vCash
    Canuckistani's rejoice! Some great titles will be debuting at the Toronto Film Festival this September.

"The Fifth Estate" (about the WikiLeaks scandal, starring Benedict Cumberbatch, who seems to be in half the movies here) opens the festival.

Other Oscar hopefuls making their debut:
    "August Osage County" (Meryl Streep/Julia Roberts/Ewan McGregor/Benedict Cumberbatch/Juliette Lewis/Chris Cooper/Abigail Breslin)
    "Rush" (directed by Ron Howard with Chris Hemsworth and Daniel Bruhl)
    "Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom" (Idris Elba)
    "Dallas Buyer's Club" (Matthew McConaughey/Jennifer Garner/Jared Leto)
    "Gravity" (Sandra Bullock/George Clooney, directed by Alfonso Cuaron)
    "Labor Day" (Kate Winslet/Josh Brolin, directed by Jason Reitman)
    "12 Years a Slave" (Chiwetel Ejiofor/Benedict Cumberbatch/Brad Pitt)
    "Prisoners" (Hugh Jackman/Jake Gyllenhal)
    "Philomena" (Judi Dench, directed by Stephen Frears)
    I meant to take the high road.... but I missed the exit.

vCash
    OMG! August Osage County is finally debuting! I smell Oscar all over that one and I pray that Meryl gets another Best Actress statue. I know she just won but she is due another for all the times she never won!

I saw a preview (more like a teaser) for Gravity with Bullock and Clooney. It looked suspenseful but also quite odd. The teaser only showed the accident on the space station and them drifting out into space. I am not sure if that is the plot of the entire movie but watching someone in a space suit floating in space for 2 hours seems rather boring. You can hardly see their faces and there is such limited movement in those suits. I hope that is just one part of the movie and the plot focuses on other aspects. As I said, it was a teaser so they only showed a little bit.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by peibeck View Post
    "The Fifth Estate" (about the WikiLeaks scandal, starring Benedict Cumberbatch, who seems to be in half the movies here) opens the festival.
    Interesting that a documentary and a feature film are both out at roughly the same time. No prizes for guessing which one will be bigger, though!

Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    OMG! August Osage County is finally debuting! I smell Oscar all over that one and I pray that Meryl gets another Best Actress statue. I know she just won but she is due another for all the times she never won!
    Hmm. I adore Ms. Streep ... but it's another film made from a play that I really think works best as a play. The other being Doubt of course -- great film, but the intensity of it worked so much better live & on stage. Osage doesn't have quite that same level, but I'm having a hard time imagining a film version that will be better than the play.

Nonetheless, still looking forward to it.

And a whole lotta other promising-looking titles on that list!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis@BC View Post
    Hmm. I adore Ms. Streep ... but it's another film made from a play that I really think works best as a play. The other being Doubt of course -- great film, but the intensity of it worked so much better live & on stage. Osage doesn't have quite that same level, but I'm having a hard time imagining a film version that will be better than the play.

Nonetheless, still looking forward to it.
    Looks like several plot elements will be cut out as the movie's length is estimated to be 2 hours, 10 minutes, while the play clocks in a 3 hours (I believe that's the time not including the intermissions).

There has been a lot of buzz as to how the movie version would turn out ever since the play was staged on Broadway five years ago....the expectations may be a little too high.

vCash
    Just screened "The Wolverine."

As a longtime Marvel/X-Men fan, I was very disappointed.

The plot was confusing, full of unnecessary characters, and the action sequences were downright silly.

For those of you into such things, Hugh Jackman is shirtless throughout (and pantsless too at one point) and be sure to stay for the aftercredits.

vCash
    On Gravity...the idea of two people floating in space is so terrifying to the extreme, the internal suspense from this alone will drive the story for me. Also, Cuaron's movies are so visually spectacular and from the trailer, this one seems to follow that aesthetic. Really excited to see this on a big screen.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    She's got three of 'em. She's not "due" anything. Especially when you think of all the great actors who have never even won one!
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club

vCash

Let's Talk Movies! #23 : A Wolverine, A Super Dude and the End of the World. T

She should have at least 5! She's due!!!
    -Brian

vCash
    Some months ago when I first watched the trailer for Oblivion, I excitedly told my friend that it looked original. He scoffed and showed me the trailer for Pacific Rim. I was because it looked like a mix of Godzilla and Ultraman with some elements of mecha anime (Eva, Gundam and even Big O comes to mind) mixed in. I just watched it and that was exactly what Pacific Rim was

The plot followed the predictable path of the genre and I can't think of a single scene that I thought was original. I guess now I know what happens when Hollywood does mecha.

ridin my horse named Bob
    vCash
    I dunno why lately I expect many modern movies to be cheezy but I'm glad I ran across another that was not: "Looper." It had my attention from start to end.
    Alas the same could not be said for an old film starring the v HAWT Errol Flynn: "The Charge of the Light Brigade." The extrrrremely phallic towers at the gate at Chukoti were extrrrremely distracting and I dunno how the actors managed tonot ROTFLOL every time they had to be in a scene with them-which was a out 1/2 the movie. The dialogue is stilted, the PC factor is off the charts, and surely the set director never worked again (one can hope). This DVD is recommended for one thing only-and ONLY one thing-a great little short called "Give Me Liberty". A recreation (of sorts) of Patrick Henry's famous speech iit's as applicable today as it was then.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    I was just looking through my TV Guide and saw that "Precious" is coming on next week on one of the local channels. It made me wonder what projects Mo'Nique has coming up. Nothing at all is listed at imdb.com or Wikipedia since Precious. Weird! There was one mention that she has the life story rights to make a movie about Hattie McDaniel. So maybe she's been trying to line up that project?? Which made me go check out Hattie McDaniel at imdb.com. It mentions that not only was McDaniel the first African-American to be nominated for an Oscar, but that she "became the first African-American to attend the Academy Awards as a guest, not a servant." Also (from imdb.com):

Her father was a slave, who was eventually freed.
    When the date of the Atlanta premiere of Gone with the Wind (1939) approached, McDaniel told director Victor Fleming she would not be able to make it, when in actuality she did not want to cause trouble due to the virulent racism that was rampant in Atlanta at the time.
    Despite the fact Clark Gable played a joke on her during the filming of Gone with the Wind (1939) (he put real brandy in the decanter instead of iced tea during the Bonnie Blue birth celebration scene), McDaniel and Gable were actually good friends. Gable later threatened to boycott the premiere in Atlanta because McDaniel was not invited, but later relented when she convinced him to go.
    When black actors and actresses couldn't find a decent place to stay in Los Angeles, Hattie opened her doors to them at her home.
    Attacked by the NAACP during her career for appearing in negative, stereotyped servile roles, Hattie strongly and proudly stated that she did the best she could. She went on to state that she worked not only for herself but thought she was working for future generations of African-Americans as well. She always hoped people would come around and understand what she had to go through in Hollywood and was extremely hurt at the way she was treated, for the roles she couldn't get, and how the NAACP kept pushing the image of Lena Horne on her.
    Personal quotes (also from imdb.com):

I'd rather play a maid than be one.
    Why should I complain about making $700 a week playing a maid? If I didn't, I'd be making $7 a week being one.
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    She was truly one of the greats. I'd like to see a biopic of her.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club

Page 17 of 25 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast