View Poll Results: Which Of These New Movies Interest You? (Trailers Below For Viewing)

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • June 14th - Man of Steel - Action Adventure with Henry Cavill, Amy Adams, Kevin Costner….

23 57.50%
  • June 14th - The Bling Ring - Crime comedy with Emma Watson, Leslie Mann, Gavin Rossdale…

8 20.00%
  • June 14th - This Is the End - Sci-Fi Comedy with Seth Rogen, Jay Baruchel, James Franco…

6 15.00%
  • June 21st - World War Z - Action horror thriller with Brad Pitt, Matthew Fox and David Morse

12 30.00%
  • June 28th - The Heat - Action Comedy with Sandra Bullock, Melissa McCarthy, Michael Rapaport…

9 22.50%
  • July 3rd - The Lone Ranger - Action adventure western with Armie Hammer, Johnny Depp…

8 20.00%
  • July 5th - The Way, Way Back - Comedy with Steve Carell, Toni Collette, Allison Janney…

6 15.00%
  • July 19th - Girl Most Likely - Comedy with Kristen Wiig, Annette Benning, Matt Dillon…

7 17.50%
  • July 19th - The Conjuring - Horror thriller with Patrick Wilson, Vera Farmiga, Lili Taylor…

5 12.50%
  • July 24th - The Wolverine - Action Adventure with Hugh Jackman and Famke Janssen

12 30.00%
  • August 2nd - 2 Guns - Action with Mark Wahlberg, Denzel Washington, James Marsden…

1 2.50%
  • August 9th - Elysium - Sci-Fi with Matt Damon, Jodie Foster, Sharlto Copley and Diego Luna

13 32.50%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 15 of 25 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast
    Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    So based on youtube trailer views, I predicted that Pacific Rim would squash Grownups 2 this weekend. Which of these movies took #1? Despicable Me 2. It beat GU2 by two million, to stay at #1 forthe second week. The production budget for DM2 is 76 million and it's worldwide box office after only two weeks in release is 380 million. Guess I need to see part one at some point!

I mentioned being unimpressed with the trailers for new movies with Jason Statham and Saoirse Ronan. Guess the studios felt the same about these movies, because Byzantium (Ronan) is only playing in thirteen theatres and has made 63,000 dollars. Statham's Redemption isn't even in the top 50 of this weekend's chart, last week it was only in four theatres and had made 34,000. I'm guessing it was in these actors contracts that the movies HAD to be released to theatres instead of going directly to DVD. What's strange about these movies is that they got a lot of trailer views on youtube, on par with The Heat (which has no earned 112 million) and White House Down (67 million). I guess there can be interest in a movie because of the star, but if the studio doesn't believe in it, even with big numbers at youtube, it's just not going to advertise it or try to get it into many theatres. Ronan will survive this, but a lot of Statham movies go this route, half the titles for Statham at imdb.com are movies that make me go (never heard of them)! Perhaps Statham is a one-note actor. What do you think? /sarcasm
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash

Let's Talk Movies! #23 : A Wolverine, A Super Dude and the End of the World. T

Lol. Statham is the definition of one note actor but he sure is damn sexy while doing it.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    Lol. Statham is the definition of one note actor but he sure is damn sexy while doing it.
    True. But the inevitable violence entailed in his performances completely cancels out any sexiness in my view ...

vCash
    Hmm... no. He's still sexy.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Here's the trailers for this week's movies. The bolded ones are the major movies that I've posted info for at the beginning of this thread (different trailers posted this time though). And following that are the rest, my comments at the very end.

July 19th - The Conjuring - Horror thriller with Patrick Wilson, Vera Farmiga, Ron Livingston and Lili Taylor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k10ETZ41q5o
    5 million views

July 19th - The World's End - Sci-Fi Comedy with Simon Pegg, Nick Frost and Martin Freeman
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YF-4c8U-mUI
    3.9 million views

July 19th - RED 2 - Action comedy with Bruce Willis, John Malkovich, Helen Mirren, Mary-Louise Parker, Catherine Zeta-Jones, Karl Urban, Neal McDonough, Anthony Hopkins and David Thewlis
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCM3HhGUJsM
    2.7 million views

July 19th - R.I.P.D. - Action comedy with Ryan Reynolds, Jeff Bridges, Kevin Bacon, Mary-Louise Parker and Mike O'Malley
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X07xNrVd7DU
    2.5 million views

July 19th - Girl Most Likely - Comedy with Kristen Wiig, Annette Benning, Matt Dillon and Darren Criss
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riEcvMVUVAo

July 19 - The Act of Killing – Documentary. From imdb.com: “A documentary that challenges former Indonesian death squad leaders to reenact their real-life mass-killings in whichever cinematic genres they wish, including classic Hollywood crime scenarios and lavish musical numbers.”
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SD5oMxbMcHM

July 19 - Ways to Live Forever Family drama with Ben Chaplin and Greta Scacchi
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99oSHYDyNwM

July 19 - Evidence – Horror thriller with Stephen Moyer and Radha Mitchell
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tV3_j_drHHY

July 17 - Computer Chess – Comedy, new cast. From imdb.com: “A 1980s-set story centered around a man vs. machine chess tournament.”
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeVdnxiIwXk

July 19 – Grabbers – Comedy horror sci-fi, unknown cast. From imdb.com: “When an island off the coast of Ireland is invaded by bloodsucking aliens, the heroes discover that getting drunk is the only way to survive.”
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4e3izWdh9WM

July 19 - Under the Bed – Horror with new cast. From imdb.com: “Two brothers team up to battle a creature under the bed, in what is being described as a "suburban nightmare" tale.”
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oTgs2Aelbg

July 19 - Iceberg Slim: Portrait of a Pimp – Documentary. From imdb.com: “Examines the tumultuous life of legendary Chicago pimp Iceberg Slim (1918-1992) and how he reinvented himself from pimp to author of 7 groundbreaking books.”
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pYMSwufdH8

Only God Forgives is supposed to come out this week () but I think this is the third time the studio has said it's coming out, so I'm not even bothering to include a trailer for it. They've cried wolf too many times!

As for box office predictions, The Conjuring will out-perform The World's End...at least on this side of the Atlantic as Simon Pegg's moves don't seem to do very well in the U.S. (Star Trek series aside). But I think Despicable Me 2 has a good chance of staying in the number one spot. Apparently those little critters have no fear of whatever's being conjured up in Patrick Wilson's new flick! As for the smaller movies coming out this week...it's been a while since I've been so unimpressed with pretty much every title! Only "The Act of Killing" is going on my list...partly because it looks so strange! So I've gotta see more of it. I'm interested in what others think about the trailer for this one, so I hope you'll give it a view.
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    R.I.P.D. looks so silly and ridiculous. I just can't imagine paying $10 to see that crap. I wouldn't even Redbox it!
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

Afterlife
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    As for box office predictions, The Conjuring will out-perform The World's End...at least on this side of the Atlantic as Simon Pegg's moves don't seem to do very well in the U.S. (Star Trek series aside). But I think Despicable Me 2 has a good chance of staying in the number one spot. Apparently those little critters have no fear of whatever's being conjured up in Patrick Wilson's new flick! As for the smaller movies coming out this week...it's been a while since I've been so unimpressed with pretty much every title! Only "The Act of Killing" is going on my list...partly because it looks so strange! So I've gotta see more of it. I'm interested in what others think about the trailer for this one, so I hope you'll give it a view.
    The Worlds End is only coming out in the UK. It doesn't come out in North America until the end of August.

I just got home from Pacific Rim. I thought it was awesome!! However due to the size of my theatre and how many movies are showing right now, I had to see it in 3D and the conversion is clearly a bit sloppy. I look forward to when it comes out on DVD so I can watch it normally. It's shot very well too which I enjoyed. I think it will probably clean up in the tech categories come Oscar time.
    "I think I saw what happens next It was just a glimpse of you Like looking through a window Or a shallow sea Could you see me? And after all this time It's like nothing else we used to know After all the hangers-on are done Hanging on to the dead lights Of the afterglow" Afterlife - Arcade Fire

vCash
    Thank you BAM for getting a new big screen for the Harvey Theater and showing blockbusters this month. I just got home from seeing Lawrence of Arabia; that movie never gets old for me. Two thumbs way up!

Left in the Kiss-n-Cry
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Only God Forgives is supposed to come out this week () but I think this is the third time the studio has said it's coming out, so I'm not even bothering to include a trailer for it. They've cried wolf too many times!
    "Only God Forgives" is indeed being released this weekend, but it will be a limited release.

I caught the documentary "Venus and Serena" on Netflix. I can't believe it's on Netflix already, as it just came out in theatres about ten weeks ago. It was interesting, but definitely made Richard Williams look like a total nutjob.
    I meant to take the high road.... but I missed the exit.

vCash
    I think Richard Williams IS a total nutjob. The documentary didn't make him look that way. lol
    -Brian

having a nice day
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis@BC View Post
    It did pick up, somewhat, in the back 1/3 or so, but it was still a bit of a disappointment to me. As a piece of recent political history it's quite fascinating, and I enjoyed seeing the actual campaign commercials -- from both sides -- but as a film it wasn't terribly well executed. In particular I found the human element completely lacking. I am glad I saw it though.
    you did better than me! I picked it up looked at it and said nawww not going to bother and back it went to the library......and when the movie box refused to accept its return 3 times I thought what irony lol.

having a nice day
    vCash
    "Snitch" was way hella better than I expected. It wasn't a cheezy stereotypical action film at all. It was v real and three dimensional. Grrrreat soundtrack too. B+ to A-

The last zombie film I saw was "dawn of the dead" so I surprised myself by picking up "warm bodies" which turned out as funny and cute as I thought it was going to be. If you want something light anf fluffy this is an enjoyable 90 minutes of that.

having a nice day
    vCash
    What I think is that Jason Statham has yet to be offered his breakthrough role. I think he's much better actor than the crap he's in.

vCash
    Here's an upcoming film I hadn't heard about before: 12 Years a Slave. Looks like it'll be worth seeing.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by peibeck View Post
    "Only God Forgives" is indeed being released this weekend, but it will be a limited release.
    For once, a movie was released here before the US. I saw Only God Forgives at the end of May and loved it (and not just for Ryan Gosling).
    Many scenes (though some of them were very violent) were aesthetically beautiful, like a ""tableau". Loved KST's character.
    I was in the minority that thought it's a good movie. Most of my friends hated it (mainly because of the violence and Thai karaoke).

I saw The Congress yesterday and really liked the different levels Robin's character got through. Though I wasn't visually mesmerized by the alternating sequences of animated section and real filming, I loved the philosophical ideas that were behind. The novel must be wonderful to read.

having a nice day
    vCash
    I didn't enjoy "rust and bone" as much as Peter G did. I had no sympathy or empathy for the main characters. I thought the story was silly and felt manufactured. Even tho Marion cotillard is a great actress, I can't recommend this film at all.

having a nice day
    vCash
    If the premise of "cloud atlas" is true you need not watch this movie because not only have you akready seen-many times-you will also see itaagitaagain-many times. In fact it is not necessary for me to write this because I have already written and will write these words. WWhich you have alreadalready read and will read again. Is that true-true or not-not is something you are either predestined to believe (or not) or you may free-willingly not believe (or may, as you choose) and no matter which happens (or doesn't) nothing will change (or it might).

And I think I'm done watching this because I never needed to watch it in the first place lol.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by immoimeme View Post
    I didn't enjoy "rust and bone" as much as Peter G did. I had no sympathy or empathy for the main characters. I thought the story was silly and felt manufactured. Even tho Marion cotillard is a great actress, I can't recommend this film at all.
    I agree with you. I especially hated the "happy end". However, if you liked Matthias Schoenaerts, you should watch Bullhead, in which he and the plotline are way better than in Audiard's film.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by immoimeme View Post
    If the premise of "cloud atlas" is true you need not watch this movie because not only have you akready seen-many times-you will also see itaagitaagain-many times. In fact it is not necessary for me to write this because I have already written and will write these words. WWhich you have alreadalready read and will read again. Is that true-true or not-not is something you are either predestined to believe (or not) or you may free-willingly not believe (or may, as you choose) and no matter which happens (or doesn't) nothing will change (or it might).

And I think I'm done watching this because I never needed to watch it in the first place lol.
    this is hilarious (and so true)!

But I have to say I absolutely loved Cloud Atlas, the greatest movie I've seen this year so far.
    While there were some rather uninteresting bits (with the journalist and the tribes), I loved Sonmi's character in future Seoul, laughed a lot when Cavendish was being traumatized by the ugly nurse, and almost cried with Robin Frobisher (the most emotional part, for me).

Most of my friends didn't like it though, because there were too many intertwined plots for them.

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    I'm hoping to get to see 20 Feet from Stardom sometime in the next few days. It's only playing at one theatre in town and probably won't run long, but it looks fantastic.

Page 15 of 25 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast