View Poll Results: Which Of These New Movies Interest You? (Trailers Below For Viewing)

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • June 14th - Man of Steel - Action Adventure with Henry Cavill, Amy Adams, Kevin Costner….

23 57.50%
  • June 14th - The Bling Ring - Crime comedy with Emma Watson, Leslie Mann, Gavin Rossdale…

8 20.00%
  • June 14th - This Is the End - Sci-Fi Comedy with Seth Rogen, Jay Baruchel, James Franco…

6 15.00%
  • June 21st - World War Z - Action horror thriller with Brad Pitt, Matthew Fox and David Morse

12 30.00%
  • June 28th - The Heat - Action Comedy with Sandra Bullock, Melissa McCarthy, Michael Rapaport…

9 22.50%
  • July 3rd - The Lone Ranger - Action adventure western with Armie Hammer, Johnny Depp…

8 20.00%
  • July 5th - The Way, Way Back - Comedy with Steve Carell, Toni Collette, Allison Janney…

6 15.00%
  • July 19th - Girl Most Likely - Comedy with Kristen Wiig, Annette Benning, Matt Dillon…

7 17.50%
  • July 19th - The Conjuring - Horror thriller with Patrick Wilson, Vera Farmiga, Lili Taylor…

5 12.50%
  • July 24th - The Wolverine - Action Adventure with Hugh Jackman and Famke Janssen

12 30.00%
  • August 2nd - 2 Guns - Action with Mark Wahlberg, Denzel Washington, James Marsden…

1 2.50%
  • August 9th - Elysium - Sci-Fi with Matt Damon, Jodie Foster, Sharlto Copley and Diego Luna

13 32.50%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 12 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
    Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    I watched Bringing Up Baby (Cary Grant, Katharine Hepburn) this week. Wondrous! So much fun. Incredible acting from the leads and all of the supporting cast. The DVD I got had an extra disc of special features including a 90 minute documentary on Grant which was very, very good. My two favourite lines from Bringing Up Baby:

Spoiler

Quote Originally Posted by peibeck View Post
    I just came home from a matinee of "World War Z." As an action film I found it 1000x times better than "Man of Steel,"...
    Interesting, because I thought that Man of Steel was way better (in spite of my complaints about the product placement). One thing I didn't mention about World War Z: worst "use" of 3-D ever. I remember thinking early on, "why am I wearing these glasses"?? And only the other day I remembered that the movie was in 3-D. I can't remember one 3-D effect...!

Quote Originally Posted by Wyliefan View Post
    I'm very fond of both of those. And Audrey is my favorite actress. Wait Until Dark always scares the bejabers out of me, though!
    Oh, I watched Wait Until Dark with a friend and it had the same affect one me/us. We loved it! What other Audrey Hepburn movies do you recommend?

Quote Originally Posted by Artemis@BC View Post
    I agree, great film. With the possible exception of the ridiculousness of "Who Will Buy" -- I know you have to suspend disbelief in large choreographed numbers, particularly in musicals of that era, but that one stretches credulity beyond the breaking point...
    But don't you have to suspend disbelief in all musicals? While someone is speaking, a full orchestra begins to play behind them. And their next sentence comes out in song! And everyone else replies by singing!! I thought "Who Will Buy" was a beautiful song and I loved the...how do I term this...the "layers" of each group singing on top of the previous group? I don't know how people can create something so musically complex. But I'm grateful they can.
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    You actually paid to see World War Z in 3D? I think that says more about you than it does the movie.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    You actually paid to see World War Z in 3D? I think that says more about you than it does the movie.
    Why? We had seen Star Trek a few weeks before that in 3-D and it was one of the best uses of 3-D I've ever seen (maybe only beaten by Avatar, but that's debatable).

P.S. I had lunch with friends before WWZ and they said they picked up tickets on the way to the restaurant. So I take no responsibility for which theatre I ended up in.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Oh, I watched Wait Until Dark with a friend and it had the same affect one me/us. We loved it! What other Audrey Hepburn movies do you recommend?
    My Fair Lady is my favorite of hers, and one of my all-time favorite films in general. Charade, as you said, is fantastic -- she and Cary Grant are SO good together, I wish they'd been paired more often. Roman Holiday, Sabrina, and Funny Face are very good. And Breakfast at Tiffany's is good, despite some flaws. Every Audrey fan should see it, if only because it's one of her best performances. (She acted circles around poor George Peppard! I do wish she'd had a co-star who could match her in that one.) There are other good ones, but that's a quick off-the-top-of-my-head list of the Audrey Essentials.

In other movie news, I'm watching the 1946 French version of Beauty and the Beast. AMAZING movie. I've always heard wonderful things about it, and it fully lives up to the hype.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club

vCash
    Just saw 'The Heat' with Bullock and McCarthy. Great buddy movie, with two 40something women. McCarthy steals the movie, but Bullock is good and they are fun together. Hope there is a sequel. I would recommend to anyone that loved Bridesmaids and enjoy that kind of humor.
    Jane Curtin has a really small role - wonder how much ended up on the cutting room floor.

vCash
    Another fun Audrey Hepburn movie is How to Steal a Million with Peter O'Toole; it's an art heist caper film. One of my faces

vCash
    Of all the movies being released this summer the only one I have zero interest in seeing is "Wolverine". Not sure why, maybe it is just fatigue with a character that has been done to death.
    “Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.” William Shakespeare

Mad for mangelwurzels
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    I watched Bringing Up Baby (Cary Grant, Katharine Hepburn) this week. Wondrous! So much fun. Incredible acting from the leads and all of the supporting cast. The DVD I got had an extra disc of special features including a 90 minute documentary on Grant which was very, very good. My two favourite lines from Bringing Up Baby:

Spoiler

Oh, I love that film. One of my all time favourites. Grant and Hepburn make the perfect quirky pairing, and Grant's gift for comedic acting is displayed here perhaps better than in any other film (though I know some people prefer The Awful Truth). The conversation around the dinner table, with Grant just wandering off from time to time, is just brilliantly acted and directed. A screwball masterpiece.
    Be with me always—take any form—drive me mad! only do not leave me in this abyss, where I cannot find you! Oh, God! it is unutterable! I cannot live without my life! I cannot live without my soul!"

ridin my horse named Bob
    vCash
    "Ali" is worth watching, can't remember if "and justice for all" is or not so what does that tell you lol. My random library pick was "A.I." which was better than expected thanks mostly to Jude Law. Seeing Brendan Gleeson was nice too. "Lenny" (1977) has not held up well over the years but at the time it was probably really something.

ridin my horse named Bob
    vCash
    "Interiors" is homage to Ingman Bergman. It's similar to "Cries and Whispers" which is hella more excruciating to watch-I've seen both once and once was more than plenty.
    I think "all Is lost" is one of those films you have to see from beginning to end to really get into it.

Mad for mangelwurzels
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by immoimeme View Post
    "Interiors" is homage to Ingman Bergman. It's similar to "Cries and Whispers" which is hella more excruciating to watch-I've seen both once and once was more than plenty.
    Cries and Whispers is terrible to watch. I wasn't going to turn it off before the end, but like you, I don't think I could sit through it again.
    Be with me always—take any form—drive me mad! only do not leave me in this abyss, where I cannot find you! Oh, God! it is unutterable! I cannot live without my life! I cannot live without my soul!"

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    A big recommendation for 1939's "Destry Rides Again" (James Stewart and Marlene Dietrich). (Don't let the trailer throw you off.) This is a great movie, another classic from 1939 - and the first Dietrich movie I've ever seen. She is fantastic and I've never enjoyed Stewart so much. He plays such a wonderful character. And Dietrich is luminescent - I'm going to have to search out more of her movies. Two great moments that I'll spoil just in case somebody decides to seek this one out:

Spoiler

Quote Originally Posted by Yehudi View Post
    I saw World War Z last night .... so many head slap moments.

Spoiler

Forgot about that! Not only what she did, but that

Spoiler

Quote Originally Posted by peibeck View Post
    Caught 2007 indie movie "Then She Found Me" with Helen Hunt (who also did a good job of directing), Colin Firth, Bette Midler and Matthew Broderick....
    This is one of those movies that I didn't complete for the longest time! I think I got it from a library far from home but didn't have time to finish it. So I noted which chapter of the movie I stopped at and about two years later finally got to see the rest of it! It was a decent movie and shows promise in Hunt as a director. But Midler was out of place in the movie, doing her schtick like Johnny Depp and Matthew McConaughey do over and over again. Everybody else was starring in a light drama with comic overtones and Midler was in a balls-to-the-wall melodrama. (Does she star in anything else??) But I give Then She Found Me a thumbs up.

Quote Originally Posted by Tesla View Post
    I think PeterG's opinions are just as valid as anyone else's. I don't give a crap what the majority thinks. I hated the Matrix movies and I hated the Tobey Maguire Spider-Man movies. I hate zombies and depressing movies and am not a huge fan of Brad Pitt. I'm more likely to listen to PeterG's opinion that those of his friends.
    :kisses:

vCash
    PeterG, have you seen Stewart in You Can't Take It with You? One of Capra's cornier efforts, but the famous "scream scene" should not be missed. Stewart was a master of comic timing.
    Last edited by Wyliefan; 06-29-2013 at 11:34 PM.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club

Afterlife
    vCash
    I really like Destry Rides Again, however I think my favourite role of James Stewarts is The Philadelphia Story. Of course then there is the Hitchcock movies to consider as well. But I love The Philadelphia Story.
    "I think I saw what happens next It was just a glimpse of you Like looking through a window Or a shallow sea Could you see me? And after all this time It's like nothing else we used to know After all the hangers-on are done Hanging on to the dead lights Of the afterglow" Afterlife - Arcade Fire

vCash
    'Entertainment' magazine has listed 100 best ever movies. I have not seen at least half of them. They are mostly very old movies (I know that I can rent them on DVD); very few new ones. The Hurt locker surprisingly made the list. That's the newest, I think. I was happy to see 'The empire strikes back' (although not the first Starwars movie) and Schindlers list on it. However, IMO the Pianist should have been on the list, instead of Rosemary's baby (I am really not into scary movies).

vCash
    The Lone Ranger has 22% approval so far on RT. Oh dear. I'm not sure if Cowboys and Indians movies are critics proof in 2013. 'Dark Shadow' showed that audiences weren't going to show up to see anything simply because Depp was the star of it.

vCash
    Johnny Depp used to be the shiznit, but now people seem to be all "Yeah, we've seen that schtick, got something new?"

vCash
    The Lone Range looks just beyond absolutely terrible. I can already hear my dad telling me that they ruined his childhood.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    You would think Depp would be sick and tired of playing the same character in different outfits. I am starting to wonder if he is such a great actor. His range has been really looking limited. Maybe it is just the roles he chooses.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by michiruwater View Post
    The Lone Ranger looks just beyond absolutely terrible. I can already hear my dad telling me that they ruined his childhood.
    Could it be any worse than the debacle detailed in this new article about 1991's The Lone Ranger?

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2013/07/0...ton-spilsbury/

Page 12 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast