View Poll Results: Which Of These New Movies Interest You? (Trailers Below For Viewing)

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • June 14th - Man of Steel - Action Adventure with Henry Cavill, Amy Adams, Kevin Costner….

23 57.50%
  • June 14th - The Bling Ring - Crime comedy with Emma Watson, Leslie Mann, Gavin Rossdale…

8 20.00%
  • June 14th - This Is the End - Sci-Fi Comedy with Seth Rogen, Jay Baruchel, James Franco…

6 15.00%
  • June 21st - World War Z - Action horror thriller with Brad Pitt, Matthew Fox and David Morse

12 30.00%
  • June 28th - The Heat - Action Comedy with Sandra Bullock, Melissa McCarthy, Michael Rapaport…

9 22.50%
  • July 3rd - The Lone Ranger - Action adventure western with Armie Hammer, Johnny Depp…

8 20.00%
  • July 5th - The Way, Way Back - Comedy with Steve Carell, Toni Collette, Allison Janney…

6 15.00%
  • July 19th - Girl Most Likely - Comedy with Kristen Wiig, Annette Benning, Matt Dillon…

7 17.50%
  • July 19th - The Conjuring - Horror thriller with Patrick Wilson, Vera Farmiga, Lili Taylor…

5 12.50%
  • July 24th - The Wolverine - Action Adventure with Hugh Jackman and Famke Janssen

12 30.00%
  • August 2nd - 2 Guns - Action with Mark Wahlberg, Denzel Washington, James Marsden…

1 2.50%
  • August 9th - Elysium - Sci-Fi with Matt Damon, Jodie Foster, Sharlto Copley and Diego Luna

13 32.50%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 10 of 25 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    ^^^PeterG's three friends rated WWZ a 7, 7, and a 8 (out of 10). PeterG gave it a 3. So why are you listening to PeterG and not his three friends ?

Variety/

WWZ's domestic B.O. is 66 millions. 110 world-wide.
    I trust PeterG more than his friends, who I don't know at all.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    No offense to Peter but WWZ is getting really good reviews. I would trust his three friends on this one. It also helps that I REALLY liked it. This movie was originally projected to bring in around $48 million but word of mouth was so strong it brought in $66 million. That should tell you all you need to know. Enough people really liked this movie to convince others to go see it.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    For me, box office success does not necessarily mean a good movie. Sometimes it is. Sometimes not.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    Of course, but when a movie greatly outperforms its projections it is often due to extra ticket sales from people who were not originally planning on seeing the movie and they are often convinced by word of mouth (or a last minute promotional blitz, but that isn't the case for this movie). I can just say what I thought and this movie was a much better piece of film than Superman which was ALL CGI and nothing else. I am not sure if you even saw Superman, though, so that comparison may not mean anything to you.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    I did not see Superman (Man of Steel). I was planning to, but after reading about it, I might not. I am overloaded with CGI and would like to just see a 'normal' movie right now. I enjoyed 'The great Gatsby' a lot more than any of these CGI-rich movies.

Reality TV's Bytch
    vCash
    I think PeterG's opinions are just as valid as anyone else's. I don't give a crap what the majority thinks. I hated the Matrix movies and I hated the Tobey Maguire Spider-Man movies. I hate zombies and depressing movies and am not a huge fan of Brad Pitt. I'm more likely to listen to PeterG's opinion that those of his friends.

Afterlife
    vCash
    I'd give WWZ a 6 out of 10. It was way better than I expected it to be. But the ending just kind of comes out of nowhere and its felt weird. I loved the book so I spent most of the movie reminding myself that they weren't the same thing so I could enjoy the movie. Considering all the problems it had in production it was definitely better than it probably should have been.
    "I think I saw what happens next It was just a glimpse of you Like looking through a window Or a shallow sea Could you see me? And after all this time It's like nothing else we used to know After all the hangers-on are done Hanging on to the dead lights Of the afterglow" Afterlife - Arcade Fire

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tesla View Post
    I think PeterG's opinions are just as valid as anyone else's. I don't give a crap what the majority thinks. I hated the Matrix movies and I hated the Tobey Maguire Spider-Man movies. I hate zombies and depressing movies and am not a huge fan of Brad Pitt. I'm more likely to listen to PeterG's opinion that those of his friends.
    We seem to have similar tastes. I hated the Matrix, and did not see the sequels. I watched just one Spiderman movie and that was enough. I absolutely hate zombines/vampires/scary creatures from outer space type movies. I do like Brad Pitt; he is a good actor, when he has a good story to work with.

vCash
    I saw World War Z last night. The action sequences were good, but I absolutely hated the wife and kids. Every time the younger one opened her mouth, I was hoping she'd get eaten by zombies. And the

Spoiler

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Speaking of zombies ... I saw Warm Bodies over the weekend. Zombies normally bore me silly, but of course because of the very nature of the film these zombies were more human. Anyway, I thought it was very sweet and highly entertaining. Nicholas Hoult was amazing in his ability to act with extremely limited facial expression, and the chemistry with Teresa Palmer was unmistakable. And Rob Corddry was his usual hilarious self. I don't think zomromcom will become a new hit genre, but for this film it worked.

I also finally watched The Sessions. I was reluctant to see this one because I think Helen Hunt is hugely over-rated and has very limited acting range -- I still think that, but she was perfectly adequate in this film. (Not Oscar-nomination-worthy by any means, but she didn't ruin it.) John Hawkes is of course the star here -- he hits exactly the right note throughout. And it's nice to see him in a likeable, non-creepy character. And his scenes with William H. Macy are worth the price of admission all on their own. As for the story ... well it's one of those that has to be based on real life because you wouldn't believe it if it were fiction. But enjoyable.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    I did not see Superman (Man of Steel). I was planning to, but after reading about it, I might not. I am overloaded with CGI and would like to just see a 'normal' movie right now. I enjoyed 'The great Gatsby' a lot more than any of these CGI-rich movies.
    When I was watching MOS, when Jor-El hold baby Kal-El, I thought, "wow... CGI has really come a long way, that looks just like a baby!"

Of course, I later found out that they used a real baby (or four babies).

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DAngel View Post
    When I was watching MOS, when Jor-El hold baby Kal-El, I thought, "wow... CGI has really come a long way, that looks just like a baby!"

Of course, I later found out that they used a real baby (or four babies).
    LOL!

As an aside ... have you seen the tv series Call the Midwife? There was a behind-the-scenes snippet that talked about the extremely realistic looking dolls they used that most of the cast couldn't tell from the live babies until they picked them up. I'm guessing that, even if they hadn't used real babies in MoS, chances are they would have been dolls/animatronics rather than CGI.

Alissa Fan Forever
    vCash
    Just got back from seeing WWZ and I really liked it. Agree that Brad's wife seemed out of place in her role....but I thought that when I saw trailers 6 months ago. Saw Man of Steel last week and liked it too....but agree, too many of the super hero movies spend time destroying cities. All I can think about is 'how many civilians just died by all that falling debris?". But I'm one who likes all the CGI.

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tesla View Post
    I hate zombies and depressing movies and am not a huge fan of Brad Pitt. I'm more likely to listen to PeterG's opinion that those of his friends.
    Sounds like you already know it's not for you based on your own tastes (which are totally valid, of course). Why would you bother with anyone's opinion on the movie, as you're unlikely to see it no matter what?

For what it's worth, I thought the film looked dumb and was not planning to see it, but I do like the genre and may be swayed
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

Briber of judges
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Just for back from seeing World War Z. Most. Depressing. Movie. Ever.
    Most. Depressing. Movie. Ever? You obviously need to go back and watch "Sophie's Choice." (One of my all time faves, but definitely one of the most depressing movies I've ever seen.)

Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    What? "The Great Gatsby" (at least the 2013 remake) was a CGI-fest. Granted the CGI was used to create a lot of the locations/scenery, speeding car sequences, etc. over explosions, helicopters, alien spaceships, et al, but don't mistake that the film, despite being a drama, did not have a LOT of digital effects.
    I meant to take the high road.... but I missed the exit.

vCash
    The most depressing movie ever is The Last American Virgin.

vCash
    If you want depressing, just watch any Russian movie from the 80s. I went on a glasnost era Soviet movie binge when I was 18. It took me weeks to recover.

vCash
    I've seen a few quite depressing movies in my time:

Burnt By The Sun
    Blood Diamonds
    Sophie's Choice
    The Road
    Dosti
    Shutter Island
    “Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.” William Shakespeare

vCash
    Y'all can keep your depressing movies and your MoS; I went to see Monsters University yesterday. Two big thumbs up!

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    I posted the other day about how the trailer views for films predict 90% of the time how the movie will do at the box office. If that's the case, of the two big releases this week, White House Down will kick The Heat's butt. Not only that, but will Jason Statham or Saoirse Ronan out-perform the comedy gold of Sandra Bullock and Melissa McCarthy? Oh, and I added a new feature. After the trailer link, I've added the approximate number of views the trailer...and in some cases trailerS...(combined total) have as the last line for each movie.

June 28th - White House Down - Action with Channing Tatum, Jamie Foxx, Maggie Gyllenhaal, James Woods, Richard Jenkins and Jason Clarke
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AXbiCdmXgw

June 28th - The Heat - Action Comedy with Sandra Bullock, Melissa McCarthy, Demian Bichir and Michael Rapaport
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-KKx0lcn2A

The other releases this week, in rough order of what I liked best. Hey, if you wanna take over from me, you can put them in your own order. Some of my comments about these movies at the end.

June 26 How to Make Money Selling Drugs (Documentary with Woody Harrelson, Susan Sarandon, Eminem)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxRVhgbVN9o

June 28 Copperhead (Drama with new cast and Billy Campbell and Peter Fonda. From imdb.com: "An Upstate New York family is torn apart during the American Civil War.")
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vo-j4_05bcI

June 28 The Secret Disco Revolution (Musical documentary. From imdb.com: “A documentary on the disco era featuring interview with its key musicians.”)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSviOtOMSxM

June 28 Laurence Anyways (French romantic drama. From imdb.com: “The 10-year relationship of a male-to-female transsexual with her lover.”)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YjIWEky81M

June 28 A Band Called Death (Documentary. From imdb.com: “A documentary on the 1970s punk trio Death, and their new-found popularity decades after they disbanded.”)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDPDm9_nX0o

June 28 Detention of the Dead (Comedy horror with Justin Chon [21 & Over, Twilight] and Max Adler [Glee])
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wS66fv-BXAA

June 28 Some Girl(s) (Comedy drama with Adam Brody, Kristen Bell and Emily Watson)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzpAzzZ0KnQ

June 28 I'm So Excited (Spanish comedy with Antonio Banderas and Penelope Cruz)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkdv-La2anI

June 28 Byzantium (Fantasy thriller with Saoirse Ronan, Gemma Arterton,)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEAGYNhAlSQ

June 28 Hummingbird. aka Redemption (Action thriller with Jason Statham)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82XwtyTU_1k

June 26 Sing Me the Songs That Say I Love You: A Concert for Kate McGarrigle (Musical documentary with Rufus & Martha Wainwright, Jimmy Fallon, Emmylou Harris, Norah Jones and Loudon Wainwright III)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wFsHOGJMac

Not surprised that the three documentaries (well, except for the Kate McGarrigle tribute movie, which has a BORING trailer) interest me a lot as I am now officially OLD. And two things DID surprise me. First, Copperhead and Laurence Anyways came out of nowhere, both have great trailers, but the latter looks like a harsh tale and I'm needing some comedy and escapism these days. (Yes, I'm still depressed after watching World War Z!!! ) Secondly, I have no interest in the Saoirse of Statham movies. Saoirse Ronan is an incredible actress, but boy this trailer is boring. And Jason Statham as a tough guy going after bad guys. Seriously? Isn't this about movie #87 with that EXACT same storyline?? As a joke I was going to say that Statham should do a period drama with Kate Winslet, but you know what, I think he could do it. Maybe a smaller, supporting role with something not too far from his persona...and a good director - and he could surprise us! But he needs to try something new, honestly!
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

Page 10 of 25 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast