View Poll Results: Which Of These New Movies Interest You? (Trailers Below For Viewing)

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • June 14th - Man of Steel - Action Adventure with Henry Cavill, Amy Adams, Kevin Costner….

23 57.50%
  • June 14th - The Bling Ring - Crime comedy with Emma Watson, Leslie Mann, Gavin Rossdale…

8 20.00%
  • June 14th - This Is the End - Sci-Fi Comedy with Seth Rogen, Jay Baruchel, James Franco…

6 15.00%
  • June 21st - World War Z - Action horror thriller with Brad Pitt, Matthew Fox and David Morse

12 30.00%
  • June 28th - The Heat - Action Comedy with Sandra Bullock, Melissa McCarthy, Michael Rapaport…

9 22.50%
  • July 3rd - The Lone Ranger - Action adventure western with Armie Hammer, Johnny Depp…

8 20.00%
  • July 5th - The Way, Way Back - Comedy with Steve Carell, Toni Collette, Allison Janney…

6 15.00%
  • July 19th - Girl Most Likely - Comedy with Kristen Wiig, Annette Benning, Matt Dillon…

7 17.50%
  • July 19th - The Conjuring - Horror thriller with Patrick Wilson, Vera Farmiga, Lili Taylor…

5 12.50%
  • July 24th - The Wolverine - Action Adventure with Hugh Jackman and Famke Janssen

12 30.00%
  • August 2nd - 2 Guns - Action with Mark Wahlberg, Denzel Washington, James Marsden…

1 2.50%
  • August 9th - Elysium - Sci-Fi with Matt Damon, Jodie Foster, Sharlto Copley and Diego Luna

13 32.50%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 15232425
    Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Interesting that the three new releases this weekend couldn't break the top two. Which is good news for The Butler and We're The Millers. I find it very interesting that The Butler is doing so well, this is not the kind of movie that does well in the summer. Not sure how they managed to get an Oscar-type movie to pull in such big numbers in August of all months. Is it because it has such a large cast that is drawing in all kinds of people? Or is it simply a great movie that people are loving? It's cool that We're The Millers is almost over 100 million in just three weeks. I remember a few years back reading that no movie released in August every broken the 100 million dollar mark. Guess those days are behind us. For #3 and #4, I'm guessing The Mortal Instruments people are NOT happy they couldn't even break the 10 million dollar mark, not a good sign for a film series (are the books a trilogy??). But The World's End taking in just under nine million must be good news as often Simon Pegg's movies don't translate into big bucks this side of the Atlantic. Maybe his work in the Star Trek movies (and Mission Impossible to a lesser extent) have been a very good move for him.

New movies releases below, the first two we've already mentioned and then the other smaller movies (well, a few big ones that Wikipedia didn't list when I started this thread!)

August 28th - Closed Circuit - Crime drama with Eric Bana, Jim Broadbent and Julia Stiles
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dDiMp-gTHA

August 30 - One Direction: This Is Us - Musical Documentary
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0I9ikjQtuI
    11 million views

August 30 - Afternoon Delight - Comedy drama with Juno Temple, Josh Radnor and Jane Lynch
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQpXyke3VC4

August 30 - I Declare War - Action comedy drama. From imdb.com: " Summer war games between neighbourhood kids turn deadly serious when jealousy and betrayal enter the mix."
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMEo58G-jpw

August 30 - The Lifeguard - Romantic drama with Kristen Bell, Mamie Gummer, Amy Madigan and Alex Shaffer (I had to mention Shaffer because he was in one of my favourite movies, "Win Win". So glad to see him in another movie now!!! )
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x92mfhWERew

August 30 - Instructions Not Included - Comedy drama. From imdb.com: " Valentin is Acapulco's resident playboy, until a former fling leaves a baby on his doorstep and takes off without a trace."
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rlFr2lu0IY

August 30 - Getaway - Action with Ethan Hawke, Selena Gomez, Jon Voight
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBcVxXwFowI
    2.7 million views

August 30 - Our Nixon - Biographical documentary. From imdb.com: " Never before seen Super 8 home movies filmed by Richard Nixon's closest aides - and convicted Watergate conspirators - offer a surprising and intimate new look into his Presidency."
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odTZDplswDg

August 31 - Blue Exorcist: The Movie - Animated from Japan. From imdb.com: " Rin and his friends, along with the rest of True Cross Academy Town, are in the midst of preparing for a festival that is celebrated only once every 11 years."
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0O7b4nTRy2A

August 30 - Passion - Crime drama with Rachel McAdams, Noomi Rapace is one we've talked about before, it's been released around the world as far back as 2012 and is now either getting an official U.S. release or a wider release...?

I put the new releases in order of the interest the trailers put in me...Afternoon Delight looks like one of those movies that make you laugh as much as they make you think (rare in comedies). And I Declare War...I still don't know what it's about really, which is probably a good trailer - one that sparks an interest in you but doesn't give the movie away. This might be the type of movie that takes one by surprise...and floors them (in a good way). Looks interesting! And I loooooove the cast of The Lifeguard, so I can't wait to see this one.
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    [URL="http://www.the-numbers.com/weekend-box-office-chart"][B]August 28th - Closed Circuit - Crime drama with Eric Bana, Jim Broadbent and Julia Stiles
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dDiMp-gTHA
    This one is potentially on my list ... marred only by the fact that I think Julia Stiles is hugely untalented. But I haven't seen anything with her for many years, so maybe she's gotten better.

August 30 - Instructions Not Included - Comedy drama. From imdb.com: " Valentin is Acapulco's resident playboy, until a former fling leaves a baby on his doorstep and takes off without a trace."
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rlFr2lu0IY
    I saw a trailer for this a while ago and it looked like a sloppy cut-and-paste of plot points from a couple of other movies (specifically, 3 Men and a Baby and Kramer vs Kramer). So it will be all in the delivery.

Briber of judges
    vCash
    I find it very interesting that The Butler is doing so well, this is not the kind of movie that does well in the summer. Not sure how they managed to get an Oscar-type movie to pull in such big numbers in August of all months.
    "The Help" opened in mid-August as well; it's pretty obvious they patterned the release and marketing of "The Butler" in a similar fashion.
    I meant to take the high road.... but I missed the exit.

vCash
    ^ It's actually a very good marketing strategy, I think -- there's precious little else on to compete at the same level, since almost everything else in the theatres right now is a blockbuster CGI-fest or a "family film." And there are plenty of movie-goers who, y'know, like Oscar-calibre films all year long!

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    I am house-sitting for a week and a half and my goal is to watch as many movies from the libraries in this area that aren't available at my local library. So here's the first batch:

What I Want My Words to Do to You: Voices from Inside a Women's Maximum Security Prison (Eve Ensler, Glenn Close, Rosie Perez and Marisa Tomei). This movie is AMAZING!!! It was meant to be a documentary about women in prison, a project by Ensler (creator of The Vagina Monologues). Instead it became a look at the writing workshops Ensler did with inmates of the Bedford Hills prison and how their writing was turned in to monologues that actresses performed at the prison for the inmates. I loved everything about the movie, but the highlight for me was the performances of Rosie Perez in the DVD extras. She nails each reading she does and I swear I went through an entire box of Kleenex watching her wonderful work. God, I love this woman! (Interesting that she out-performed Glenn Close...) I can't recommend this movie enough.

Wish Me Away - This is the documentary about Chely Wright's decision to come out as country music's first openly gay performer. It's a very well made film and Wright's music is incredible. Another one where you need to have some hankies on hand.

North Sea Texas - This Belgian drama is one of the best gay movies I've ever seen, right up there with Brokeback Mountain. Just wonderful in every way and another must-see movie in my opinion.

Wuthering Heights (1939, Merle Oberon, Laurence Olivier, David Niven) - I've seen this once before, if not two times already. But it was another one of those "x number of movies to see before you die" list movies and I hadn't seen it in so long that now was the time for another viewing. There's a lot I didn't remember, so I'm glad I watched it. Very melodramatic, but that's kind of par for the course of movies around this time. But I realized that it does the melodrama almost perfectly. And I don't remember Laurence Olivier looking so beautiful in this. Another 1939 classic...what a year!

The Rutles: All You Need Is Cash - Eric Idle's parody of the Beatles story. The highlight is the music which I learned had to be partially credited to Lennon and McCartney to avoid lawsuits. Which is strange because the melodies don't really resemble any Beatles songs, it's just the instruments, production and harmonies that are SO Beatle-esque. I believe that Lorne Michaels produced this or was involved in some way, so lots of the SNL not-ready-for-primetime players have bit parts in this. Some funny stuff and good cameos from other pop stars from the mid-70's (Mick Jagger, Paul Simon, etc.)

Nikola Tesla: Master of Lightning - another documentary, this one about the inventor and engineer who cared so much about science and so little about business that his ideas were repeatedly stolen and he saw little money from his work when he could have made millions (or billions??). A great documentary not just about this man, but about how people and corporations can be so dishonest and corrupt in regards to someone who cared so much about making life better for other people. You can see this movie on youtube here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViS4t8jye4c

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    The Nikola Tesla documentary sounds interesting.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    The documentary on Tesla sounds very interesting.

Afterlife
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis@BC View Post
    This one is potentially on my list ... marred only by the fact that I think Julia Stiles is hugely untalented. But I haven't seen anything with her for many years, so maybe she's gotten better.
    I'm not a big fan of Julia Stiles, however 10 Things I Hate About You is one of my favourite movies. I think it is a very well cast movie outside of Julia Stiles involvement.
    "I think I saw what happens next It was just a glimpse of you Like looking through a window Or a shallow sea Could you see me? And after all this time It's like nothing else we used to know After all the hangers-on are done Hanging on to the dead lights Of the afterglow" Afterlife - Arcade Fire

vCash
    I was reluctant to see KA2 because of the (small) controversy about it being too violent. Indeed, it was, but I still enjoyed it.
    Mother Russia was such a funny (and creepy) character.
    And of course Hit Girl is just irresistible. How can you not love her?

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    I'm working on the new movie thread, hope to have it up tomorrow or Thursday.

Recent viewings:

Tigerland (Colin Farrell, Matthew Davis [The Vampire Diaries] and Clifton Collins Jr.) - This is an incredible movie! It's about a group of recruits in training for the military before being sent to Vietnam. An amazing script and very well directed. It's one of those movies where nothing obvious happens, very original in it's story. It's directed by Joel Schumacher who I thought put out a lot of schlock, but from his imdb.com entry, he's directed a lot of good, smaller movies. His latest work is two episodes of "House Of Cards".

Our Hospitality (1923, Buster Keaton) - It's obvious why audiences loved Buster Keaton. I remember seeing one of his movies about a clock tower when I was a youngster, but this is the first movie of his that I watched as an adult. A lot of it can be watched at double-time, but often I re-wound as I realized I went too quickly over something interesting. I was surprised by how good he was at not just all the stunts, but his facial expressions are probably the best of everyone on the screen. He perfectly communicates what he's going through with just his face...and in the simplest of ways. Also on the DVD that I got was "Sherlock Jr." (1924) which also has some great stunts and fun moments. You can see Our Hospitality (the entire movie) on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zd-zlNmvsPY

vCash
    I want to check out something on Netflix tonight and they are having technical difficulties. It looks like they picked a handful of titles and made them available to hold people over. I don't think it works that way, if i go to the movie theater and the movie I want to see is not playing for some reason I don't just see whatever they tell me to go see.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Once Netflix got up and going I watched two movies.

Our Idiot Brother - Amazing cast with Paul Rudd, Zooey Deschanel, Parker Posey and tons of others. Not quite as funny as I expected but the humor was more subtle than in your face which actually was nice.

It's a Disaster - Julia Stiles and David Cross are in this one. It is about a group of friends coming together for Sunday Brunch. Halfway through they discover that chemical weapons have been detonated not far away and they are all going to die soon. The final scene was just great. The entire movie is filmed in the house so this is not a sci-fi movie or anything like that.
    -Brian

vCash
    Just watched Earth (1998) on tv and what a gut wrenching movie. It'll be awhile before I get over it so I highly recommend this Deepa Mehta tear jerker. LOL
    “Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.” William Shakespeare

vCash
    I'm working on the new movie thread, hope to have it up tomorrow or Thursday.

Recent viewings:

Tigerland (Colin Farrell, Matthew Davis [The Vampire Diaries] and Clifton Collins Jr.) - This is an incredible movie! It's about a group of recruits in training for the military before being sent to Vietnam. An amazing script and very well directed. It's one of those movies where nothing obvious happens, very original in it's story. It's directed by Joel Schumacher who I thought put out a lot of schlock, but from his imdb.com entry, he's directed a lot of good, smaller movies. His latest work is two episodes of "House Of Cards".
    Mentioned this to my husband as one he would be interested in and got the reply that "Tigerland, yeah, Fort Polk, reminds me of my childhood." Guess that's on his list.

We just finished a month of Myrna Loy and William Powell movies. The Thin Man movies are favorites but all are interesting.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    Just watched Earth (1998) on tv and what a gut wrenching movie. It'll be awhile before I get over it so I highly recommend this Deepa Mehta tear jerker. LOL
    I highly recommend all three films in the Mehta "elements" triptych: Fire (1996), Earth (1998), and Water (2005). Each powerful and gut-wrenching in its own way. Earth is probably the most "mainstream" of the three films -- but that's not a criticism or an accolade, just an item of information.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mrr50 View Post
    We just finished a month of Myrna Loy and William Powell movies. The Thin Man movies are favorites but all are interesting.
    Yeah, they did some great ones! I love Libeled Lady.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club

vCash
    I finally re-registered for Netflix. Received my two CDs of Schindler's List last night. Plan to watch the movie this weekend. It's been a looong time since I saw that movie.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Okay, I'm working on getting the new thread up and I've watched the trailers for all the big movies in September...and I don't like ANY of them. Until THIS one, which I adore, so I'm sharing it with you as a sneak peak!

September 27th - Don Jon - Romance with Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Scarlett Johansson, Julianne Moore, Tony Danza and Brie Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6615kYTpOSU

Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 15232425