View Poll Results: Which Of These New Movies Interest You? (Trailers Below For Viewing)

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • June 14th - Man of Steel - Action Adventure with Henry Cavill, Amy Adams, Kevin Costner….

23 57.50%
  • June 14th - The Bling Ring - Crime comedy with Emma Watson, Leslie Mann, Gavin Rossdale…

8 20.00%
  • June 14th - This Is the End - Sci-Fi Comedy with Seth Rogen, Jay Baruchel, James Franco…

6 15.00%
  • June 21st - World War Z - Action horror thriller with Brad Pitt, Matthew Fox and David Morse

12 30.00%
  • June 28th - The Heat - Action Comedy with Sandra Bullock, Melissa McCarthy, Michael Rapaport…

9 22.50%
  • July 3rd - The Lone Ranger - Action adventure western with Armie Hammer, Johnny Depp…

8 20.00%
  • July 5th - The Way, Way Back - Comedy with Steve Carell, Toni Collette, Allison Janney…

6 15.00%
  • July 19th - Girl Most Likely - Comedy with Kristen Wiig, Annette Benning, Matt Dillon…

7 17.50%
  • July 19th - The Conjuring - Horror thriller with Patrick Wilson, Vera Farmiga, Lili Taylor…

5 12.50%
  • July 24th - The Wolverine - Action Adventure with Hugh Jackman and Famke Janssen

12 30.00%
  • August 2nd - 2 Guns - Action with Mark Wahlberg, Denzel Washington, James Marsden…

1 2.50%
  • August 9th - Elysium - Sci-Fi with Matt Damon, Jodie Foster, Sharlto Copley and Diego Luna

13 32.50%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 23 of 25 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 LastLast
    vCash
    I don't usually endorse critical reviews of the movies I like but this one is funny.

"Hollywood might someday design a sleek, prestige biopic worthy of Apple co-founder Steve Jobs," Evans wrote. "For now, he's gotten a Dell."
    http://www.independent.ie/business/n...-29507412.html

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Just re-watched The French Lieutenant's Woman. Of course, I enjoyed it, but it didn't have the whallop I was expecting. I barely remembered anything from having seen it soon after the initial release. But thinking of it now it seemed to have a bit of a high-class Harlequin novel feel to it. But anything with Streep and Irons gets a recommendation!

I have been wanting to comment on past posts for SO long now. I am too far behind, but I'm going to try to catch up anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by immoimeme View Post
    What I think is that Jason Statham has yet to be offered his breakthrough role. I think he's much better actor than the crap he's in.
    I think he could surprise us, but he has to take some smaller roles that show he can do more than action hero. I felt he held his own in Killer Elite with DeNiro and Clive Owen, but it was just a more serious drama take on the action hero role. He should take a bit part in a dark comedy like Jennifer Anniston and Colin Farrell did in Horrible Bosses. Or something like Tom Cruise did in Tropic Thunder. Looks like that's not in his plans. In November, he'll be in an action thriller called "Homefront" (along with James Franco, Rachelle Lefevre, Winona Ryder and Kate Bosworth). Then in August 2014 he'll be in a crime thriller called "Heat" with Stanley Tucci, Hope Davis, Sofía Vergara, Anne Heche and Milo Ventimiglia. The other two procts for Statham at imdb.com (and I'm not making this up!) is Fast and Furious 7 and Expendables 3...

Quote Originally Posted by Wyliefan View Post
    PeterG, have you seen Stewart in You Can't Take It with You? One of Capra's cornier efforts, but the famous "scream scene" should not be missed. Stewart was a master of comic timing.
    I just checked and it IS on my list. So I'll get around to it eventually (it's even at my local library!) Thanks for the recommendation.

Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    R.I.P.D. looks so silly and ridiculous. I just can't imagine paying $10 to see that crap. I wouldn't even Redbox it!
    You're not alone. One month after it came out, the worldwide box office 56 million on a 130 million budget. Add to that many, many millions in advertising...and you get one big flop.
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    I've been invited to an advanced screening of Aronofsky's Noah, which is due to be released in March 2014. So... of course I am absolutely going! I've always wanted to do one of these and they were just handing out flyers for them at the theater last night. Soooo excited!

Elysium was... boring. Lots of gore, including several moments I had my eyes shut, and plot holes you could drive a space station through. But it just... was boring. I didn't expect that.

vCash
    The Great Race is about to start on TCM! Professor Fate FTW!
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

vCash
    Why are so few of the top 10 box office movies opened worldwide?

vCash
    I read the Entertainment magazine today. They had loads of information on movies to be released from Aug through Dec. Many of them sound interesting. Finally we may get to see some serious good movies. Right now I have 'Jobs' and 'Butler' on my list of 'to see' movies.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by michiruwater View Post
    Elysium was... boring. Lots of gore, including several moments I had my eyes shut, and plot holes you could drive a space station through. But it just... was boring. I didn't expect that.
    So true!

Elysium, Elysium, what can I say about it?
    Poor opening and...poor movie overall. I don't get how a subject that has good potential too often turns into a poorly written and uninteresting movie. Is it the producers or the scriptwriters who lack creativity? Another disappointment.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    Peter, isn't it about time for a new thread? The latest release in the poll is Aug 9th!
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Wow, the youtube views were way out of touch with what happened at the box office this weekend.

Kick-Ass 2 (8 million views) should have kicked butt, but The Butler (700,000 views) did it as far as taking the #1 spot. KA2 barely made a debut in the top 5! So much for a conclusion to this trilogy.... Audiences seem to like a raunchy Jennifer Anniston, We're The Millers is up to 70 million in just two weeks. At least for KA2 two other movies really under-performed. jOBS came in at #7 with only seven million and Paranoia (Liam Hemsworth and Harrison Ford) debuted at #13 with 3.5 million. Paranoia only managed $1,435 per theatre (compared to Blue Jasmine at #14 which took in over $10,000 per theatre). Well, at least ONE of the Hemsworth brothers can get people into theatres!

Big movies coming out this week:

August 23rd - The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones - Teen action fantasy with Lily Collins, Kevin Durand, Lena Headey, Jonathan Rhys Meyers and Aidan Turner
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hc4CiTvQ-YE
    6 million views

August 23 - The World's End - Sci-Fi Comedy with Simon Pegg, Nick Frost and Martin Freeman
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFo7eJR2cvc
    5 million views

August 23rd - You're Next - Horror with new cast
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFOJszDf_24

And other releases below. You'll notice that Josh Duhamel and Nicholas Cage are at the very bottom of this list. Both trailers looked AWFUL to me, especially Duhamel's "Scenic Route". DISGUSTING!! So don't watch this trailer, but if you do, to get the horrid taste out of your mouth, watch the trailer for Short Term 12. It's not often that an unknown movie strikes such a chord with me, but this one certainly did. It looks amazing! And I wasn't expecting to be interested in The Trials of Muhammad Ali, but the trailer for it look really good!

August 20 - The Colony – Action sci-fi thriller with Laurence Fishburne, Kevin Zegers and Bill Paxton
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZENI7UC3WQo
    5.4 million views

August 23 - Drinking Buddies – Romantic comedy drama with Olivia Wilde, Jake Johnson, Anna Kendrick, Ron Livingston and Jason Sudeikis
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxuxkQF7Bak
    1.1 million views

August 23 - The Trials of Muhammad Ali – Sports documentary
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XF_jh3_p_gw

August 23 - Short Term 12 – Drama. From imdb.com: “A 20-something supervising staff member of a foster care facility navigates the troubled waters of that world alongside her co-worker and longtime boyfriend.”
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8QxAYxNRgs

August 23 - Una Noche – Drama. From imdb.com: “In Havana, Raul dreams of escaping to Miami. Accused of assault, he appeals to Elio to help him reach the forbidden world 90 miles across the ocean. One night, full of hope, they face the biggest challenge of their lives.”
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKLXDk4NFrA

August 23 – Savannah – Historical drama with Jim Caviezel, Sam Shepard, Hal Holbrook and Chiwetel Ejiofor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwY-vdYlA2c

August 23 - The Grandmaster – Chinese action drama with Ziyi Zhang and Tony Leung
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BO1yfTfozhk
    1.4 million views

August 23 - The Frozen Ground – Crime thriller with John Cusack, Radha Mitchell, Vanessa Hudgens and Nicolas Cage
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0_mrDgDe4w
    1 million views

August 23 - Scenic Route – Dramatic thriller with Josh Duhamel
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyUI8lisUcQ

Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    Peter, isn't it about time for a new thread? The latest release in the poll is Aug 9th!
    The new thread will be for September to December. August is not known for big movie releases, that's why the 9th was the last poll option. Unless you feel that the One Direction film or the latest release featuring Ashley Greene and Lucas Till deserved to be one of the twelve poll options!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyCurry View Post
    So true!

Elysium, Elysium, what can I say about it?
    Poor opening and...poor movie overall. I don't get how a subject that has good potential too often turns into a poorly written and uninteresting movie. Is it the producers or the scriptwriters who lack creativity? Another disappointment.
    I totally agree. I liked the trailer and had high expectation of the movie. I'm now bitterly disappointed

The story is deficient in logic and plot, the characters are boring and too stereotypical, and some parts are too melodramatic. I wish they pay more attention to the story and characters instead of the action/fight scenes. The ending/solution is ridiculous

Next stop: City of Bones. Hopefully, this one will be good

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    I've been waiting all summer for The World's End.

vCash
    Today's numbers are out and the only new movie sinking like a stone is Kick Ass 2. The others are where they were during the weekend. Shoot me but Paranoia does not look so terrible and I will watch it when it gets to On Demand. LOL

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    I watched Timecode (Salma Hayek, Stellan Skarsgård, Holly Hunter, Kyle McLachlan, Jeanne Triplehorn and Julian Sands) the other day. If you've seen it, let me know if you think it's the worst movie ever made! Timecode is the movie where they filmed four different scenes in real time and had each shot on one quarter of the movie screen at the same time. The dialogue for varying parts fades out at times so we can listen to one scene yet still watch the others as they happen. The scenes move so we see varying characters from different segments interacting at times, but from different views. Very interesting idea, but the movie had just a bare story and the actors all improvised. None of them are very good at it. Mike Leigh has made movies like this, but they did a lot of rehearsal beforehand so the movie felt more structured and coherent. Timecode was just one big mess, but I was committed to the idea, so I watched it until the end. Woe is me..........

Quote Originally Posted by DannyCurry View Post
    But I have to say I absolutely loved Cloud Atlas, the greatest movie I've seen this year so far.
    I liked Cloud Atlas as well. It was certainly long and detailed, but I didn't lose interest in spite of the movie's length and complexities. I did feel like maybe I needed a guidebook to help me follow things a little easier at times though!

Quote Originally Posted by Artemis@BC View Post
    I'm hoping to get to see 20 Feet from Stardom sometime in the next few days. It's only playing at one theatre in town and probably won't run long, but it looks fantastic.
    My sister saw this and said it was great. Another sister said she wants to go with friends and invited me, but haven't heard back from her. If we don't see it in the theatre, I hope my library gets it on DVD.

Quote Originally Posted by Spareoom View Post
    So one of the big, big news from Comic-Con today is that instead of doing a straight Man of Steel 2 like was speculated, they're doing Superman/Batman, a movie starring both. I'm assuming Batman will be played by Joseph Gordon Levitt.
    I heard a rumour that they offered Christian Bale 50 million to do this one movie/sequel. !!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    I watched Timecode (Salma Hayek, Stellan Skarsgård, Holly Hunter, Kyle McLachlan, Jeanne Triplehorn and Julian Sands) the other day. If you've seen it, let me know if you think it's the worst movie ever made! Timecode is the movie where they filmed four different scenes in real time and had each shot on one quarter of the movie screen at the same time. The dialogue for varying parts fades out at times so we can listen to one scene yet still watch the others as they happen. The scenes move so we see varying characters from different segments interacting at times, but from different views. Very interesting idea, but the movie had just a bare story and the actors all improvised. None of them are very good at it. Mike Leigh has made movies like this, but they did a lot of rehearsal beforehand so the movie felt more structured and coherent. Timecode was just one big mess, but I was committed to the idea, so I watched it until the end. Woe is me..........

I liked Cloud Atlas as well. It was certainly long and detailed, but I didn't lose interest in spite of the movie's length and complexities. I did feel like maybe I needed a guidebook to help me follow things a little easier at times though!

Timecode definitely sounds like a movie to avoid. I missed 'Cloud Atlas' when it was in the theatres and now I have only a moderate interest in it, so it may be a while before I try to rent it.

vCash
    I heard a rumour that they offered Christian Bale 50 million to do this one movie/sequel. !!!
    I hope he accepts the role

But I don't know if the Superman and Batman (the reboot versions) worlds are compatible though?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smurfy View Post
    Just saw 'The Heat' with Bullock and McCarthy. Great buddy movie, with two 40something women. McCarthy steals the movie, but Bullock is good and they are fun together. Hope there is a sequel. I would recommend to anyone that loved Bridesmaids and enjoy that kind of humor.
    Jane Curtin has a really small role - wonder how much ended up on the cutting room floor.
    I loved "Bridesmaid" and I liked most of "The Heat" (which was only released today here). I don't mind the lack of subtlety in that kind of comedy.
    <3 McCarthy! She's great.

vCash

To be honest, I loved the movie so much that I watched it twice in two days. It definitely helped understanding all the links between the different plots!

Left in the Kiss-n-Cry
    vCash
    I've been invited to an advanced screening of Aronofsky's Noah, which is due to be released in March 2014. So... of course I am absolutely going! I've always wanted to do one of these and they were just handing out flyers for them at the theater last night. Soooo excited!
    *taps foot* We're waiting for your review.
    I meant to take the high road.... but I missed the exit.

vCash
    I signed a non-disclosure agreement :-P Sorry!

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Batman for the Man of Steel sequel is going to be....Ben Affleck!

away. Well, FSU might not care, but a lot of folks online are very opinionated on this.

Matt Damon should be Robin.

Page 23 of 25 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 LastLast