View Poll Results: Which Of These New Movies Interest You? (Trailers Below For Viewing)

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • June 14th - Man of Steel - Action Adventure with Henry Cavill, Amy Adams, Kevin Costner….

23 57.50%
  • June 14th - The Bling Ring - Crime comedy with Emma Watson, Leslie Mann, Gavin Rossdale…

8 20.00%
  • June 14th - This Is the End - Sci-Fi Comedy with Seth Rogen, Jay Baruchel, James Franco…

6 15.00%
  • June 21st - World War Z - Action horror thriller with Brad Pitt, Matthew Fox and David Morse

12 30.00%
  • June 28th - The Heat - Action Comedy with Sandra Bullock, Melissa McCarthy, Michael Rapaport…

9 22.50%
  • July 3rd - The Lone Ranger - Action adventure western with Armie Hammer, Johnny Depp…

8 20.00%
  • July 5th - The Way, Way Back - Comedy with Steve Carell, Toni Collette, Allison Janney…

6 15.00%
  • July 19th - Girl Most Likely - Comedy with Kristen Wiig, Annette Benning, Matt Dillon…

7 17.50%
  • July 19th - The Conjuring - Horror thriller with Patrick Wilson, Vera Farmiga, Lili Taylor…

5 12.50%
  • July 24th - The Wolverine - Action Adventure with Hugh Jackman and Famke Janssen

12 30.00%
  • August 2nd - 2 Guns - Action with Mark Wahlberg, Denzel Washington, James Marsden…

1 2.50%
  • August 9th - Elysium - Sci-Fi with Matt Damon, Jodie Foster, Sharlto Copley and Diego Luna

13 32.50%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 13 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
    Briber of judges
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    You would think Depp would be sick and tired of playing the same character in different outfits. I am starting to wonder if he is such a great actor. His range has been really looking limited. Maybe it is just the roles he chooses.
    Well... money talks. I can't begrudge an actor being paid tens of millions of dollars to play essentially the same role if that is what producers want to woo him with. He still does the occassional indie like "Rum Diaries" when he wants to stretch himself, and voice over-work for documentaries which surely pay next to nothing.

I agree that "Lone Ranger" trailers look quite hideous, and the few reviews I've seen so far have been pretty poisonous. After high concept-western flops like "Jonah Hex" and "Cowboys and Aliens" I'm not really sure why producers felt like a "Lone Ranger" reboot would be a great idea.
    Last edited by peibeck; 07-02-2013 at 07:30 PM.
    I meant to take the high road.... but I missed the exit.

vCash
    Well, True Grit did well, but that's because they took the genre seriously. This obviously does not.

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    I watched a completely delightful little French-Canadian film last night, Liverpool. Part modern noir thriller, part wallflower romance, all charming. And the social-media-fuelled resolution had me clapping with delight. I really, really enjoyed this movie.

trailer

vCash
    Two thumbs way up for Monsters University. I was prepared to be bored because (1) it's a sequel and sequels are almost always inferior to their parents and (2) it clocks in at 110 minutes, which is pretty long. But it was very entertaining! My daughter's orthodontist sent out e-mail to all the patients recently noting that Mike Wazowski wore a retainer
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by immoimeme View Post
    I don't think "Oliver !" Is so grrrreat, much prefer Polanski's "Oliver twist." No glam poverty there. No sings either lol.saw "inside man"-waste ofgrrreat cast since story lacks."broken city" ditto. No jean dujardin at library for moiz it was "lenny" so also got "rain man" just to, youknow, make sure tom and dustin really are all that lol ;-)
    I highly recommend David Lean's version. With a very young Alec Guinness as Pip's London buddy. It was done in the 1940s. Really, pretty much ANY David Lean movie is pretty awesome and some are downright incredible. (Bridge on the River Kwai, Lawrence of Arabia)
    Quote Originally Posted by manhn View Post
    The most depressing movie ever is The Last American Virgin.
    No, this is incorrect. The most depressing movie ever is called Testament, especially if you saw it when it was released (in the mid-1980s) and you were about 12-13 and it was the height of the nuclear weapons buildup and you were scared out of your wits that a nuclear war would happen any day because there were thousands upon thousands of warheads in both the US and USSR stockpiles. I was REALLY depressed for weeks after seeing it.
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    So last week I mentioned how trailer views online predict box office success 90% of the time. So I predicted that White House Down would do better at the box office than The Heat. Not only did White House Down do poorer, it only came in #4, behind World War Z in its second week. But neither new movies could stand up to the monster Monsters University, which is at 170 million in just two weeks!! (And 130 million overseas as well...so far!) So this week's battle is the Despicable Me sequel (18 million views) vs. The Lone Ranger (7.5 million). Cowboys vs. Critters. What's your prediction? (I'm going with the numbers...lots of critters vs. one cowboy. Strength in numbers!) The first three are movies I've already provided links for early in the thread, I've put in trailers that are different from what I posted earlier if you want to give any of these a second chance:

July 3 - Despicable Me 2
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlbnGSMJQbQ
    18 million views

July 3 - The Lone Ranger
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xv6NmOWw30
    7.5 million views

July 5 - The Way Way Back (Comedy with Steve Carell, Toni Collette, Allison Janney, AnnaSophia Robb, Sam Rockwell, Maya Rudolph and Amanda Peet)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qoaVUdbWMs

And seven other smaller movies coming out. Although the first could be quite a monster itself:

July 5 - Hammer of the Gods (Action, new cast. From imdb.com: “A young man transforms into a brutal warrior as he travels the unforgiving landscape in search of his long lost brother, Hakan the Ferrocious, whose people are relying on him to restore order to their kingdom.”)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUrL7GcgHO0
    5.2 million views

July 3 - Kevin Hart: Let Me Explain (Comedy documentary. From imdb.com: “Filmed at a sold-out performance at Madison Square Garden, comedian Kevin Hart delivers material from his 2012 "Let Me Explain" concert tour.”)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T69cdWclv9I
    2.5 million views

July 5 - Just Like a Woman (Drama with new cast and Sienna Miller. From imdb.com: “Two women get on the highway heading to Santa Fe. Marilyn dreams of winning a contest held by a famous belly dancing company, while her friend, Mona, has a secret: she's a fugitive from justice - accused of her mother-in-law's death.”)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90A_5ehjxP8

July 4 - A Girl and a Gun (Documentary. From imdb.com: “Reaching far beyond Hollywood's hypersexualized femme fatales, the film candidly explores the modern American woman through intimate portraits encompassing issues of protection, power, feminism, and violence.”)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSYG6jFG_ho

July 5 - The Look of Love (Comedy drama with Steve Coogan, Shirley Henderson and Matt Lucas)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Z4yqK1KxuY

July 3 - Big Star: Nothing Can Hurt Me (Musical documentary. From imd.com: “… about the dismal commercial failure, subsequent massive critical acclaim, and enduring legacy of pop music's greatest cult phenomenon, Big Star.”)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFAGUbJPXOI

July 5 - Absence (Horror thriller, new cast. From imdb.com: “Doctors are baffled when an expectant mother wakes to find her nearly-to-term pregnancy apparently disappear overnight. Police investigate the situation as a missing child, and only her husband and brother trust her version of events.”)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADApnOvmhGc

Hammer of the Gods looks beautifully filmed, but too violent for my tastes. Kevin Hart's movie has some funny bits, think I'll wait to watch it on DVD. Same with A Girl and A Gun.
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LilJen View Post
    I highly recommend David Lean's version. With a very young Alec Guinness as Pip's London buddy. It was done in the 1940s. Really, pretty much ANY David Lean movie is pretty awesome and some are downright incredible. (Bridge on the River Kwai, Lawrence of Arabia)
    You're thinking of Great Expectations. Although Guinness also appeared in Lean's Oliver Twist.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club

Afterlife
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    So last week I mentioned how trailer views online predict box office success 90% of the time. So I predicted that White House Down would do better at the box office than The Heat. Not only did White House Down do poorer, it only came in #4, behind World War Z in its second week. But neither new movies could stand up to the monster Monsters University, which is at 170 million in just two weeks!! (And 130 million overseas as well...so far!) So this week's battle is the Despicable Me sequel (18 million views) vs. The Lone Ranger (7.5 million). Cowboys vs. Critters. What's your prediction? (I'm going with the numbers...lots of critters vs. one cowboy. Strength in numbers!)
    I expect The Lone Ranger to bomb strictly because it looks horrible. And Despicable Me 2 looks like it will be a lot of fun. I didn't think The Heat would do as well as it did. I'm glad it did though. I thought White House Down looked ridiculous.

July 5 - The Way Way Back (Comedy with Steve Carell, Toni Collette, Allison Janney, AnnaSophia Robb, Sam Rockwell, Maya Rudolph and Amanda Peet)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qoaVUdbWMs
    600,000 views[/B]
    This and Kings of Summer are the two movies I've wanted to see the most this spring/summer. And I'll have to wait until they both come out on DVD and Blu-ray to see them. It's extremely annoying. I should really move someplace with more theatres.
    "I think I saw what happens next It was just a glimpse of you Like looking through a window Or a shallow sea Could you see me? And after all this time It's like nothing else we used to know After all the hangers-on are done Hanging on to the dead lights Of the afterglow" Afterlife - Arcade Fire

vCash
    No, this is incorrect. The most depressing movie ever is called Testament, especially if you saw it when it was released (in the mid-1980s) and you were about 12-13 and it was the height of the nuclear weapons buildup and you were scared out of your wits that a nuclear war would happen any day because there were thousands upon thousands of warheads in both the US and USSR stockpiles. I was REALLY depressed for weeks after seeing it.
    Even seeing this movie as an adult, I found it quite sobering. Seems like some big mini-series about nuclear war came on TV around the same time. I can't remember the title, but I remember thinking that Testament presented a much more realistic picture of what it would be like for most of us. One of the saddest scenes in any movie is the one with Jane Alexander sewing her daughter's body up in that sheet.

vCash
    Testament was so amazing, it felt like real life. I remember the scene with the sewing too. Also I remember when she is looking for batteries, and finds them in the answering machine and hears her husbands voice, pauses, and takes the batteries out. Great actress.

vCash
    A couple of years back I bought this DVD when I was on this apocalyptic movie binge. Testament, On The Beach (both versions), When The Wind Blows...I couldn't get out of bed for a week I was so depressed. But Testament is a great movie, no matter how heartbreaking. Jane Alexander was amazing in this, and probably would have won the Oscar, but she was up against Shirley MacLaine's showy turn in Terms of Endearment. The one scene that really got me in Testament was where Jane Alexander is explaining to her daughter what sex feels like. It was a great mother-daughter scene that under normal circumstances would be touching and sweet but then

Spoiler

vCash
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyliefan View Post
    You're thinking of Great Expectations. Although Guinness also appeared in Lean's Oliver Twist.
    Yes, that's what I meant. Guinness played Fagin in Oliver Twist.
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

vCash
    Saw Frances Ha tonight and loved it. She's so clumsy but sweet at the same time. Felt so bad for her at one point though...

ridin my horse named Bob
    vCash
    Random library selection: "Alex in Wonderland"-only of interest if you want to see 1) what people actually wore in 1970; 2) why Donald Sutherland was such a hot property; 3) how people really talked back then; 4) what constitutied an "X" rating back then. The plot itself was way hella better covered in "8 1/2" which this is supposed to be an homage to (Fellini himself has a cameo).

vCash
    Watched a DVD movie by Emilio Estevez last night titled "The Way." It stars his dad Martin Sheen and Estevez makes some appearances as well. It was a wonderful movie, really quite inspirational. and quite a departure from the usual stuff coming out of Hollywood these days. Really fine acting, character and story development with some amazing scenery to add to the experience. Definitely thumbs up.

I also really enjoyed "World war Z" and Star Trek into Darkness both, in 3 D, worth the money to see on really big screen.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Debrah View Post
    Watched a DVD movie by Emilio Estevez last night titled "The Way." It stars his dad Martin Sheen and Estevez makes some appearances as well. It was a wonderful movie, really quite inspirational. and quite a departure from the usual stuff coming out of Hollywood these days. Really fine acting, character and story development with some amazing scenery to add to the experience. Definitely thumbs up.
    I really liked that one too. It did suffer a bit from stock-character-itis in the supporting roles, but overall it was sincere and quite moving. It's a perfect role for Sheen, but Emilio shows a lot of talent as a director too.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Wow. Despicable Me 2 has a budget of 76 million and the current worldwide box office is 51 million and the US revenue for Wednesday alone was 34 million. So before the opening weekend has even finished, the production budget has been paid off. My guess is the advertising budget will be covered soon. (That probably happened with Thursday's revenue! :lol)

Sadly, it looks like all the naysaying in this thread for The Lone Ranger might have spread to the rest of America because while DM2 took in 34 million on Wednesday, The Lone Ranger did just 9.7 million. And according to the-numbers.com, the production budget is 275 million.

Some movies I've watched recently:

Butter (Jennifer Garner, Ty Burrell, Hugh Jackman, Rob Corddry, Alicia Silverstone, Ashley Greene and Olivia Wilde)
    - OMG, this movie is HILARIOUS! The humour is way out there though, so if you want a Bob Hope comedy, this will NOT be your thing. If you want something wicked, you're in for a treat! :respect:

Prefontaine (Jared Leto, Ed O'Neill, Breckin Meyer and Amy Locane) - Very well made movie, but strange subject matter. Here's a guy who's basically a jerk to everyone around him, who cheats on his girlfriend, who abuses alcohol

Spoiler

. I'm guessing a movie was made about him because he brought attention to a sport that a lot of Americans didn't care about before he did so well in it. But I recommend this one, and not just because I think Leto is unbelievably purdy...

Bully (2011 documentary) - Another well-made movie. I'm still undecided if this movie crosses the line into manipulation...but a lot of documentaries are going that route these days. The subject matter is so important that I'm cutting it some slack though. What amazes me is the response of people who say things like, "I had no idea things like this were happening"? Which makes me wonder, "are ALL of the spoons in your cupboard silver"??

Ginger Snaps (Canadian dramatic horror with new cast and Mimi Rogers) - This one makes me think of Buffy The Vampire Slayer in a way...is the horror the beasts creating havoc, or is the horror the alienation that teenagers are experiencing? This one is also like Buffy in that it uses humour at times so that things don't get too heavy. Not a perfect film, but a good one. Recommended.

To Rome With Love (Woody Allen, Jesse Eisenberg, Penélope Cruz, Ellen Page, Judy Davis, Alec Baldwin and Roberto Benigni) - It`s weird to look at Allen`s box office results and see that his movies continually make more money at the worldwide box office than they do in the U.S. Usually it`s the big action blockbusters that do better overseas and Allen`s movies seem like they would appeal to a primarily American audience. Not the case at all. I thought the first half of this movie was much stronger than the end. Allen has some BRILLIANT lines that made me laugh out loud numerous times (something I don`t do very often). He needs to thank his writer and director for that!! But everyone is charming in this movie and if you don`t mind some Italian subtitles, then you`ll probably like this. One thing though...what was I missing in regards to Alec Baldwin`s character???

vCash
    Bully (2011 documentary) - Another well-made movie. I'm still undecided if this movie crosses the line into manipulation...but a lot of documentaries are going that route these days. The subject matter is so important that I'm cutting it some slack though. What amazes me is the response of people who say things like, "I had no idea things like this were happening"? Which makes me wonder, "are ALL of the spoons in your cupboard silver"??
    I'm not undecided at all. That the filmmakers just sat there an rolled tape to record behaviours that went beyond bullying and into outright physical assault is unforgivable. I also don't think the movie did anything constructive, except to give a voice to the kids and their parents. Which of course is not insignificant, but guess I expected more of a movie made in 2012. Nonetheless, I do think the movie is worth watching, just because of the kids' stories. Just don't expect anything even remotely insightful in terms of the dynamics of bullying behaviour or anything that can be done about it.

But I'm with you on Butter -- hilarious. Garner was pretty much recycling her character from Juno, but it worked.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    The critters did indeed beat the cowboys. Despicable Me 2 has taken in 142 million in six days while the Lone Ranger made only 48 million. What's interesting is that Bullock and McCarthy almost beat the asses of Depp and Hammer....even though The Heat was in its' second week. For the weekend only, The Lone Ranger made 29.4 million and The Heat made 25 million. What's interesting is that Depp, Cruise and Smith have all had their summer movies flop. Only Brad Pitt from the "old guard" (ouch, says this 49 year old) seems to be doing okay. Well, that's not really true as Oblivion made almost 200 million at the international box office and almost 100 million in the US while the budget was 120 million. So it definitely made money. But The Lone Ranger at 275 million? I just finished watching the Chinese movie, Confucius with Chow Yun-Fat. It is a beautifully filmed epic with many scenes with large crowds. It looks like an expensive movie, but the budget was only 22 million. I swear if Confucius had been made in the U.S. the budget would have gone over 200 million. Not sure how they made it so inexpensively. No unions in China? (If that was a racist thing to say, please call me on it!) Anyway, I recommend Confucius, if only to know the story of this man a bit better. And for the cinematography, which is glorious.

Page 13 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast