Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!
    vCash

Fort Worth/Dallas dining recommendations?

I will be spending an upcoming weekend in Fort Worth, and possibly Dallas if I have time to trek out there during the day, while the Cliburn competition is in progress. Any locals/frequent visitors have recommendations for good, inexpensive places to eat, particularly your favorite BBQ joints?

Being from the Bay Area, I have very high standards when it comes to food, so I'm primarily interested in quality and bang for the buck, but if there are any particularly hokey Texas/cowboy-themed/divey places to check out, then I'm all for that too.

Culturally, I've visited just about every major museum in Fort Worth and Dallas previously, so I'm pretty much over that, plus I'm already getting enough culture with the Cilburn competition. Just interested what you think are the best-quality/most-distinctive-Texas-experience for-the-value places to eat and also any recommendations for good yuppie/yupster/hipster bars.

Thanks in advance!

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Go to Grace:

http://www.gracefortworth.com/

Make reservations.

ETA: The website has a soundtrack that kicks in, so you might want to mute your phone or computer before clicking on it.
    Last edited by kwanfan1818; 05-29-2013 at 11:09 PM.
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!
    vCash
    Oooh, looks good. Right behind Bass Performance Hall too.

vCash
    I envy you the trip, as I think you can imagine!
    The restaurant seems ideal, too.
    Last edited by skatesindreams; 05-30-2013 at 12:42 AM.

vCash
    I think the best Mexican restaurant in Fort Worth is Joe T Garcia's in the Stockyards area. However, if you go on a weekend night the wait to get in will be very long. But the part of Fort Worth you'll be in has Papacita's (nice atmosphere) & Uncle Julio's (real Tex-Mex), both right off Interstate 30, & very good. In Dallas, have you been to Reunion Tower? That has a Wolfgang Puck restaurant in the revolving part which I think is very good.

vCash
    I went to Joe T Garcia's for my cousin's rehearsal dinner. I can't stand Mexican food, but it was pretty good.

There was a really yummy pizza place near the hotel (the Worthington Renaissance) but I don't remember what the name was! This BBQ joint in the Stockyards was delicious. I am lame and don't remember any names, so I will go Google.

ETA: Riscky's! That's the BBQ place. It was my first taste of real BBQ and yum, yum, yum.

vCash
    Riscky's is pretty famous but my preference is for Angelo's which is on White Settlement Rd not far from downtown.

KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!
    vCash
    Thanks for the suggestions all! I think I have enough to go on in Fort Worth alone; that assumes I won't even make it out to Dallas.

Angelo's looks cool, from the Yelp reviews, as does Uncle Julio's, which also has a 4 star average.

These bars/pubs also looked cool:
    The Usual
    T&P Tavern
    Flying Saucer Draught Emporium - decent selection of foreign beers

Sexy Superhero
    vCash
    There's a new museum in Dallas that just opened last December - the Perot Science Museum. www.perotmuseum.org

For food, the Reata is also good. If you are a hungry carnivore, try out Texas de Brazil. If you like Thai, try Thai Tina's.

vCash
    If you like Tex-Mex, this place is cheap and the food is great - http://www.chuys.com/#/home There is a crazy statue of Elvis, in the middle of the dining room. The Chilies Rellenos are fantastic. If you like frozen margaritas, try a swirl. It's swirled frozen margarita and frozen sangria. It's in Dallas. Last time I was there (about 10 years ago) 6 of us ate nachos, entrees, & two rounds of frozen drinks - the bill was $78.00!

Sexy Superhero
    vCash
    There's a Chuy's in Fort Worth as well, minus the big Elvis statue. If you like super-spicy, ask for the 911 plate (a very hot chicken enchilada). It's not always on the menu, but you can order it anyway.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
    There's a Chuy's in Fort Worth as well, minus the big Elvis statue. If you like super-spicy, ask for the 911 plate (a very hot chicken enchilada). It's not always on the menu, but you can order it anyway.
    Yes, there are a few in TX and some other southern states. I live in NJ, though, none within hours of here. The closest one is in VA. I was just letting UMBS know that the restaurant is actually in Dallas, not Fort Worth, Plano, surrounding area. I am craving chiles rellenos! There is no place to get good ones here, they are always soggy.

Sexy Superhero
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
    Yes, there are a few in TX and some other southern states. I live in NJ, though, none within hours of here. The closest one is in VA. I was just letting UMBS know that the restaurant is actually in Dallas, not Fort Worth, Plano, surrounding area. I am craving chiles rellenos! There is no place to get good ones here, they are always soggy.
    No problem. But the one in Fort Worth (or Plano or Arlington) have pretty much the same menu, so unless UMBS just wants to see the larger Elvis room, she might as well go to the one in Fort Worth that's only a couple of miles from the Bass Hall.

vCash
    The last time I was in TX, there were only 3 Chuys. Dallas, Austin, and one more I forget. They have really grown! Has the food changed at all? I hope not, it was sooooo good! I want one here!

vCash
    I don't know about Mexican food in New Jersey but I doubt Chuy's is the best in Fort Worth. And I'm not sure if UMBS was interested in chain restaurants. I looked at their menu & it looks like pretty standard Tex-Mex but with a good atmosphere. I've never been there. BTW, if you go to the Stockyards, don't eat at La Casa Grande no matter what anyone tells you. It's touristy with sub-par food. A few blocks from there is Joe T Garcia's. YUM!

UMBS, the Flying Saucer is really close to Bass Hall but it's pretty small, crowded, & noisy. They seem to have every beer in the world except Canadian beer. (I'm not much of a beer drinker but Canadian is my preference.) It might be more fun for a person who's alone than a bigger place though. You really get up close & personal there. Or the rooftop bar at the Reata. Most of the rooftop is a date-night type of place but the bar itself has a lot of singles.

I assume you'll have a car? Bass Hall has a free parking garage so you won't have to worry about in & out parking. Angelo's BBQ is an easy drive - so is Uncle Julio's & all of the other suggestions here. And you can walk to some of them - Grace, Texas de Brazil, Reata, Flying Saucer.

vCash
    I would not suggest that Chuys is the best in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area. But, UMBS wanted someplace inexpensive and good. I went to several good Tex-Mex places when I was in the area. Chuys was my favorite. but, I LOVE chiles rellenos and theirs is the best i've ever had. Crispy outside, gooey and cheesy inside, and the red sauce, just enough spice. I'm craving one something awful!

vCash
    Do not go to Joe T.'s for the food. They only offer like two things to eat. I'm from Houston and was in Ft. Worth for work recently. My Dallas co-workers took all of us out of towners here. Food is very disappointing, since I know what good Tex-Mex should taste like. Their outdoor patio is awesome, but if you're not used to this weather, it may already be too hot to be enjoyable.

There are a couple Chuy's around Texas. But it is good Tex-Mex and affordable. Ask for the side of that ranch jalapeno sauce!
    Smoke a ciggy and have some fun!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by El Rey View Post
    Do not go to Joe T.'s for the food. They only offer like two things to eat. !

KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!
    vCash
    Thanks for the suggestions folks!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by taf2002 View Post
    Their website confirms this.
    Smoke a ciggy and have some fun!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast