Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

vCash

Interstate 5 bridge collapses in Washington State

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/news/u...-NW-Washington

The Interstate 5 bridge over the Skagit River in northern Washington state collapsed Thursday evening, sending vehicles and people into the water, the state patrol said.

Trooper Mark Francis told USA Today that two lanes in both directions collapsed.
    Yikes! I hope everyone is okay. Skagit Valley is about 1 hour north of Seattle, 1 hour south of Canada. About 30 minutes north of Everett, which hosted a Skate America.

I drove over that bridge a few days ago driving back home to Canada from Portland. Anyone planning a road trip to Vancouver/Seattle over the next few months--expect delays. I'll be in Seattle for sure end of June, as I am flying out of Seatac to Mexico.

vCash
    Have been following the updates on Twitter. According to news sources all people in the vehicles that fell from the bridge have been accounted for (last I heard it was 3 people), and there are no known fatalities. It is believed at this time that the bridge collapse was set in motion when it was hit by a large, overloaded truck. In a 2010 inspection this bridge was deemed sub-standard.

Pix:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BLAQDcXCIAADTdi.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BLATfnUCIAAmV70.png

BuzzFeed News ‏@BuzzFeedNews 3m
    BREAKING: Washington state authorities say no fatalities in I-5 bridge collapse, @AP reports http://youtu.be/9ZAR7hbcBsA
    BuzzFeed News ‏@BuzzFeedNews 8m
    Washington state bridge engineer is looking into the possibility that an oversize load may have struck the bridge. (@wsdot_traffic)
    BuzzFeed News ‏@BuzzFeedNews 22m
    NTSB will be sending full go-team to investigate the I-5 Skagik River bridge collapse in Washington. (@NTSB)
    BuzzFeed News ‏@BuzzFeedNews 31m
    Map: Area impacted by the I-5 bridge collapse in Mount Vernon, WA pic.twitter.com/1ot9l3pCf7 (@LiveTVDirector)
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BLAMkUxCQAE97xu.jpg
    BuzzFeed News ‏@BuzzFeedNews 38m
    BREAKING: @KING5Seattle reporting this is the large semi-truck that might of caused tonight's I-5 bridge collapse https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BLALw3pCUAAOuwf.png
    Last edited by dardar1126; 05-24-2013 at 06:03 AM.

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dardar1126 View Post
    In a 2010 inspection this bridge was deemed sub-standard.
    It was deemed "functionally obsolete" in 2010, not substandard.

I'm supposed to go to Vancouver tomorrow

I'm going to go to bed early and see if they've figured out a decent workaround for buses tomorrow morning
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    Oh no, genevieve! I hope you can still make your trip!

I just heard that there may still be a 4th person still in the water.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by genevieve View Post
    It was deemed "functionally obsolete" in 2010, not substandard.
    Thank you for the correction.

EDIT: Source of my previous incorrect statement...

Breaking News ‏@BreakingNews 18m
    CORRECTION: The collapsed Washington bridge is not considered 'structurally deficient' but is listed as 'functionally obsolete' - via @AP
    Last edited by dardar1126; 05-24-2013 at 06:50 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by manhn View Post
    Oh no, genevieve! I hope you can still make your trip!

I just heard that there may still be a 4th person still in the water.
    I hope to make it too....and hope that if there is a 4th person they can be reached an hourish ago I read that rescue efforts were being halted, and that anyone still in the water "would not be rescued", which seemed an odd thing to say. I know there are a ton of people out at the bridge right now though, hopefully something can be done.
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    Twitter:

The Associated Press ‏@AP 6m
    Wash. state officials looking into possibility that collapsed bridge was struck by oversize truck:
    http://apne.ws/10VXM5G -SS

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    I'm very glad the bus I was on today crossed it about five hours before it collapsed.

There's never a good time for this to happen, but this is the begiknning of the summer cruise to Alaska season, and the bus traffic over the border increases ten-fold due to tour vans shuttling people between the take-off and end points in Vancouver and Seattle. The re-routes along two-lane backroads are going to be bottleneck country.
    Last edited by kwanfan1818; 05-24-2013 at 10:01 AM.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    trip cancelled on the news they are advising anyone who doesn't have to travel this route to stay away - there are two other bridges nearby, but they're not designed to handle anywhere near the traffic that I-5 gets.

One bright spot - I procrastinated so long to get my tickets that the BoltBus routes were all sold out, and I had to buy Amtrak (bus) tickets. Amtrak has a very simple refund policy and procedure and I got a full refund right away. Pretty sure the BoltBus tickets are non-refundable, and even if they would make an exception in this case, it's not clear on their site how to do it. The woman I spoke to at Amtrak had no idea that anything had happened, though. She obviously wasn't located out here, but I was expecting there would have been some company-wide alert about certain routes There are more Amtrak bus routes per day than trains out here, so this could significantly impact their PNW business.

vCash
    I live about 20 mins south of the bridge and have driven over the bridge so many times. So scary!

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    I'm sorry your trip has been canceled, genevieve. You're so right about the impact of the Amtrak bus. Unlike most bus lines, which when they're full, they're full, Cantrail, the Amtrak subcontractor, will add buses if there is demand, which happens routinely on morning cruise day slots. In addition they have their discount ticketholders who buy books of 10 one-way tickets from them.

ks777, I'm glad you weren't there when it happened. Being that close, you don't even think about getting on the highway.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    I use to work in Anacortes and had to cross the bridge every day.

KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!
    vCash
    Good to know all of you who have checked in are safe and sound. Hope no other Seattle/Van/PNW FSUers were directly affected.

vCash
    Twitter:

BuzzFeed News ‏@BuzzFeedNews 5m
    Washington Gov. estimates cost of repairing Skagit bridge at $15 million http://www.governor.wa.gov/office/pr...ions/13-04.pdfhttps://pbs.twimg.com/media/BLATfnUCIAAmV70.png

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ks777 View Post
    I use to work in Anacortes and had to cross the bridge every day.
    When I saw the images last night on TV, I instantly recognized it as a bridge I had crossed driving to SeaTac for my return flight after 2001 Worlds. Glad that no lives were lost, but it definitely will be a major hassle for people driving to/from Vancouver from Seattle and other parts of the US northwest.
    Lady 2: there isn't anything about me on goooogle, I mean, I must take it off if there is.....
    Lady 3: The google is a terrible thing, I mean I don't want anything on there! (Overheard by millyskate on a London train.)

vCash
    I've been on the bridge several times, during visits to my family members who are in the Seattle area.
    What an awful accident,
    I hope that the inevitable inconvenience to those who use it often can be minimized.

vCash
    I just hope folks coming down here for the Sasquatch Festival from Vancouver or Bellingham figure out an alternate route before they hit the road.

Unbelievable there were only 3 people injured in this.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013...ash-river?lite

Hope the driver of the truck that clipped the bridge has insurance (and his employers do).

vCash
    Canadian driver. Figures.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by genevieve View Post
    I just hope folks coming down here for the Sasquatch Festival from Vancouver or Bellingham figure out an alternate route before they hit the road.

Unbelievable there were only 3 people injured in this.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013...ash-river?lite

Hope the driver of the truck that clipped the bridge has insurance (and his employers do).
    Sasquatch festival?!

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by manhn View Post
    ... I drove over that bridge a few days ago driving back home to Canada from Portland. ...
    Me too! My first thought when I heard the news was "well, there was a lot of beer and books in my trunk ..."

This incident could have been sooooo much worse, considering how busy that stretch of highway sometimes gets. It's the everday things that, when they go wrong, really throw us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast