vCash

Woman released 19 years after being granted bail...

An Indian woman was arrested for murder but was ordered released on bail. However she did not have the money so she remained in prison for 19 while the son she gave birth to in prison, grew up and saved enough to get her out. This is a strange and touching story. Not why there was no trial or anything but glad mother and son has now being reunited.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-22677850

vCash
    OMG! Hard to believe that this poor woman had to stay in prison for 19 years for, essentially, being POOR! Abandoned by her family, she could not afford the 119 pounds/$180 bail.

This is the 21st century, right?!?

vCash
    How horrible. Human rights violation if ever there was one imo. I hope she finds something of peace with her loving son and family.

vCash
    The video report said that there are about 300,000 prisoners in India...and many of them have never been brought to trial. They languish (soft sounding word for a very hard existence) in prison as the antiquated Indian legal system drags along at a 19th/early 20th century snail's pace.

I know that India is a relatively young country. But with so much success in high-tech businesses, etc., it seems baffling that other aspects of their society and governance are so behind the times.

vCash
    while it might be considered young as an industrialized nation, it has deep rooted cultural traits that govern the people's lives on a daily basis. My husband works with a young man from India in a software development position. This young man returned to India recently to marry the woman that his family chose for him. They are getting a tremendous amount of pressure from both families to move back to India.
    For me it is not baffling - it is a deep seated culture that will not change quickly if ever