vCash

Zhao will take charge of pairs

http://usa.chinadaily.com.cn/sports/...t_16518502.htm
    With the Sochi Games only nine months away, Zhao is already feeling the heat.

"We have got less than a year to prepare for the Olympics (in February) and the appointment puts me under a huge amount of pressure," said the 39-year-old. "The young skaters are battling injuries, have a lack of experience and Peng Cheng made several big mistakes at the Worlds. I will do my best to pass on my experience to them."

Peng, 17, paired with Zhang Hao last May after the retirement of Zhang Dan.

Despite the problems within the team and likely strong challenges from the Russian, German and Canadian skaters, the Chinese still have their sights set on Sochi gold.

According to Zhao, veterans Pang and Tong will be in the heat of the battle for gold, while two young pairs, Peng and Zhang Hao and Sui Wenjing and Han Cong will compete for the other ticket.

"Pang and Tong are still the leaders of the squad. They have their own artistic ways if they can finish their performances - as they did at the Vancouver Games - they may have a good chance to win the gold medal," Zhao said.
    Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm - Ralph Waldo Emerson

vCash
    Good luck to Zhao with his new assignment.

I think Pang and Tong are wonderful together, and they certainly had a great Olympics in 2010 (gold medal worthy performances), but P/T will be fortunate to be on the podium in Sochi (not to say they can't or won't be).

vCash
    So what happened to Yao Bin? Did he stop coaching?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hanca View Post
    So what happened to Yao Bin? Did he stop coaching?
    No - see the Chinese news thread for more info: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...=1#post3923552
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden