Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    podcast mistress
    Ready to interview Uncle Dickie at any time.
    vCash

Questions for Caryn Kadavy

Hi all. I'm interviewing Caryn Kadavy this weekend while she's in my hometown for the PSA Conference! If anyone has any questions for her, please ask them here.

From her Wikipedia bio (which clearly needs updating . . . she no longer lives in Erie, PA):
    s an amateur, Kadavy won medals at the U.S. Championships four years in a row, including silver in 1986. She won several competitions in 1985: the U.S. Olympic Festival, Skate Canada International, and the Moscow News Cup. She was a top-ten finisher at the World Figure Skating Championships three times, including a bronze medal in 1987. At the 1988 Winter Olympics, she was in 6th place after the short program but withdrew prior to the free skate due to the flu. During this period, Kadavy was coached by Carlo Fassi at the Broadmoor Skating Club; she also worked with Toller Cranston prior to the 1987–88 season. In December 1988, she underwent an operation to remove a cyst on an ovary.[1] She withdrew from the 1989 U.S. Championships due to a stress fracture in one ankle and a pinched nerve in the other.

Kadavy went on to skate regularly in professional ice shows throughout the 1990s and early 2000s, and is still active as of 2010. She has won numerous professional championships, including Miko Masters (1993), Hershey's Kisses (1993 and 1994), U.S. Open (1993), Canadian Pro (1996), and Ladies Pro Final (1997), as well as numerous team competitions.
    Thanks
    Last edited by manleywoman; 05-22-2013 at 03:25 AM.
    In my spare time, I like to interview figure skating legends.

vCash
    Look forward to listening to the interview!

My question is does she think she could have won a medal at the 1988 Olympics if she had not come down with the flu and had to withdraw

vCash
    What were all the details of the flu - because it meant withdrawal from an Olympics!!!

vCash
    I've heard there was a positive camraderie between Caryn, Jill, and Debi. What was it like competing with them?

vCash
    ^^ ITA. And I'd add Tiffany Chin to that mix as well. What was it like trying to remain friendly with each other when the media seemed to always be asking them questions designed to provoke hair-pulling?

I'm sure you'll ask Caryn about her coach-student relationship with Carlo Fassi and what made it work.

In my own little fantasy world where life is perfect for me!
    vCash
    Same line of the flu questions .... did she consider skating in the LP at all (sort of saying "what the hell give it a shot") to see what she could do, just give it a shot and just stop and withdraw if it wasn't happening? Or was she to ill to deal with the spinning and jumping to even try?

Does that make any sense?

vCash
    What kind of training regimen did she have as a professional skater? I'm curious because she's had such longevity and kept skating long after her peers hung up their skates.

Dashing Between Bennetton and Krispy Kreme
    vCash
    What was it like working with Toller Cranston in 1988, both with choreography and helping to develop her costumes?

Also, how did Caryn get such a killer triple loop.

vCash
    Where does Caryn live now? Does she have any current connection to dance/does she ever take classes? Which skaters has she found the most balletic (herself excluded)? If she rewatches any performances of anyone (herself included), which ones does she rewatch the most? What are her current goals?

Thank you for asking for our input.

vCash
    What were her favorite professional programs that she skated to?

I'm excited that you will be interviewing her, Caryn has always been a favorite of mine

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by essence_of_soy View Post
    What was it like working with Toller Cranston in 1988, both with choreography and helping to develop her costumes?
    That was one of my questions, as well.

She had great success as a pro skater.
    What changed to allow her to achieve so much?

vCash
    I would like to know if she and Jill Trenary are still friends?

How does she stay so slim?

Does she do any coaching?

vCash
    Ask her what she thought about Liz Manley's colorful accusations regarding their times together as professionals.

Also ask if she was offended by the ABC cameras going into her sick bed the night of the Calgary free skate.

podcast mistress
    Ready to interview Uncle Dickie at any time.
    vCash
    Can you be more specific on the Manley accusations? I haven't come across this yet.

Dashing Between Bennetton and Krispy Kreme
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by manleywoman View Post
    Can you be more specific on the Manley accusations? I haven't come across this yet.
    It was outlined in Liz Manley's second book, As I Am: My Life After The Olympics.

From memory, Liz and Caryn were taking from the same coach, Evelyn Kramer, and Kramer was the catylist in creating a rift between both skaters by favouring Caryn over Liz at one of the professional competitions they both skated in.

I wish I had a copy of the book with me to give you the exact details of the situation.

vCash
    I love Caryn's skating--so graceful and fluid. I look forward to another great interview.

Who were her idols during her career?

vCash
    Ask her about competing against and touring with Katarina Witt and Frau Mueller. I remember Katarina saying that Caryn was one of the skaters who used to get upset by Katarina improvising to her music during practice at competitions. Yet Caryn skated in Katarina's farewell show so they must have become friends at some point.

Frau Mueller stories are always fascinating.

vCash
    Please just tell her that she was one of the most beautiful women ever to set foot on the ice.

vCash
    ^^ Here, here!

vCash
    Wondering if she has any plans to perform again this year - a Disson show perhaps? Hoping we haven't seen the last of her!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast