vCash

What do you do for your child's coach?

My daughter takes skating lessons under ISI program for a several years, but this question somehow came to my mind just now. We pay the coach for a time spend on the ice with a child, but should we do something for a coach besides this? For example If the coach come to the child's competition should parents give her something ( like gift cards, presents...), because it looks like the coach doesn't get anything from coming there? I didn't do anything, but now when my daughter's coach got seriously sick I feel like I wasn't careful for her. Could other parents share how they deal with a coach on this matter.

vCash
    Is the coach coming to the competition to coach your daughter, or is she at the competition just to watch and cheer for your daughter?

I'm asking because pretty much every coach I know charges for working at competitions, as well as for giving lessons.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    Our coaches charge for comps.

At comps, my daughter does likes to buy her coach a little something - usually flowers at the event. After I might give her a framed photo of them at a comp later. We usually reserve gifts for the holidays/milestone birthdays. Some parents know what their coaches like to drink and show up with coffee, tea, diet coke.

vCash
    Coaches should charge for attending a competition with their skater. I have had nice coaches who have said to me to personally not worry about it, but that is only personally because of the relationship I have with them. I have always offered payment because that is the usual practise.

I do think that if the coach is not charging then a gift might be nice so thanks for the support.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    I don't know what it means to teach during competition, it looks like she is at the competition just to watch and cheer, she stays behind the board and gives instructions before. I saw all the coached from our ice ring come to the competition when their students compete. She never mentioned any charges for this and I never thought about it. This is under ISI, may it be different? Anyway, I should talk with the parents in our ring. This thought came to me like an a-ha moment, I am surprised myself how I couldn't think about it before.

vCash
    Usually the coach is with the student at the competition to help them their program and provide some support and last minute pointers before they skate. If she is staying behind the board and giving instructions then she is coaching.

However usually the coaches make it very clear that they do charge to be a competition for the skater. And skaters can choose to pay to have their coach there. If she hasn't mentioned anything then maybe she is doing it by choice. I would just ask the question as to what are her rates to be with a skater at a competition.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    The coach is there more for support at a competition. Should something be going wrong they become the middler person between the competition organizers and the skater. They are also there for last minute tune ups. Just because they aren't on the ice doesn't mean they aren't coaching. Many coaches coach from the side on a regular basis.

Do you pay your coach an hourly rate? I would assume she is charging you to be at competitions. Check your next bill. I know a synchro team that used to give their coach a corsage at the start of a competition so she could wear it for the comp. Flowers are a nice idea because even if you are paying the coach to be there they are typically giving up their weekend or even other coaching, although some will charge for missed lessons.

vCash
    I have coached both ISI and USFS and have always charged for competitions. I don't charge my regular hourly fee, but have a "competition fee" that varies depending on how many students I'm coaching at any particular competition. In addition, the coaches' expenses are usually divided up among students as well - travel, accommodation, etc.

vCash
    Thank you guys for your answers. I have to talk with other parents in our ring also.
    Yes, I pay an hourly rate each time and don't have any bills. We don't travel far from home, so there is no accommodation fees,
    but definitely she ruins her weekend. I am surprised she never told me anything.

Planning? No, no. Let's keep it suicidal.
    vCash
    This might depend on the coach as well. My coach comes to test sessions and helps her students stay calm/prepare for the test, but she never charged either me or her other students. Same thing holds true for other coaches at my home rink. It's entirely possible they might feel differently if this involved traveling and overnight accommodations for a competition, but I was never charged for test sessions. I'm sure she would have said something in case payment was expected. A gift certificate to the pro shop your coache uses would also work well, I think, in case you wanted to make a nice gesture.

vCash
    Every coach I have had has has charged for competitions and tests.

vCash
    My coaches have not charged for local tests or competitions. They generally charge to travel- cover the cost of the travel expenses plus lost lessons. Many coaches in the area charge a fee to attend even local competitions, generally a 30-minute lesson fee to each skater, to stand at the boards during warm up (no off ice prep before that) and to wrangle to make sure they are in the right place at the right time.

I have always given my coaches a Christmas gift equal to the cost of 1 lesson (this got easier when my coach turned 21). I gave the two coaches who helped me prepare a gift when I passed an especially challenging test. I've never given anything extra to thank for being there at a competition.

vCash
    I don't give my or my daughter's coaches gifts for being there during competitions. I do, however, pay them for being there. That's normal here - most coaches, for local competitions, either charge a special competition rate, or else their normal lesson fee, for the competition.
    Use Yah Blinkah!

“It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    vCash
    My coach charges a single lesson fee for putting me on the ice at local tests or competitions. I think this is totally fine and to be expected.

For travel, I have heard of a group of students splitting the travel and expenses for one coach, who just puts them on the ice. Even if it's not your regular coach, it helps to have a professional there for support.

I once had a coach who never mentioned anything about paying him for tests or competitions. I didn't know I was supposed to. Looking back, I feel really bad about that and should have offered to pay.

I only give gifts for Christmas, and small ones at that. I don't think there's anything wrong with giving them at other times. But gifts are not payment.