Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    Excellent examples that are still perpetuated.

A new one I heard was about how the Sandy Hook tragedy was Obama's master plan to advance strict gun control. My cousins seriously showed me youtube videos "proving" it.
    But why are they perpetuated? Because there isn't clear evidence that they are false or because despite that evidence people continue to believe they are true? I think the latter.

The Sandy Hook thing has no evidence whatsoever for it yet apparently people believe it; although I'm not convinced anyone really believes it, in some cases I think people are willing to talk a lot of garbage if they like how it sounds.
    Congratulations 2014 World Ice Dance Champions Anna Cappellini & Luca Lanotte!!!

vCash
    The JFK assassination is the mother lode of conspiracy therories.

I think Lee Harvey Oswald was a lone gunman, but I don't think Jack Ruby acted alone.

Blergh
    vCash
    I think when it comes to political conspiracy theories, it's ultimately an expression of political frustration. Since they are already "hell-bent" on being on a particular side, they will choose to believe these theories that advance the most antagonistic and depraved view of their opposition (or person in power who represents everything they think is wrong with this country).

When it came to Obama and the birther conspiracy, I always thought it was all about delegitimatizing him from the start so nothing he has done as President (negative or positive on either side) could be valid because he never had the right to be President.

Regarding Sandy Hook, some of my cousins seem to "want" to believe it because they simply don't like anything that would in their words "take their guns away." They just latched on to the conspiracy because it served their purpose (even if some of them may actually believe it, which I can't tell you one way or another if they do).

For other conspiracies...I think a lot of it is fun. A lot of it gets traction because there really are holes (at least popularly-advocated ones) in the "official" story, and people like to fill-in-the-blanks to make it seem much more exciting or dramatic than it actually is. Sort of like unpopular figure skating results, which I admit I think about it because they're fun, but I would not be shocked to find out that those theories are full of crap.

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by missing View Post
    The JFK assassination is the mother lode of conspiracy therories.

I think Lee Harvey Oswald was a lone gunman, but I don't think Jack Ruby acted alone.
    If Lee Harvey Oswald was a lone gunman, why would there have been a conspiracy to kill him? I mean, isn't the idea that he was killed by Jack Ruby because there was a conspiracy behind the killing of JFK?

Excuse if I'm showing too much ignorance, I've kind of never followed it closely.
    Congratulations 2014 World Ice Dance Champions Anna Cappellini & Luca Lanotte!!!

vCash
    Trust me, I have absolutely no proof whatsoever about any of this.

It's very American to be the lone gunman, and I think Oswald fits into that category.

But Ruby seems to have been "connected," and I can imagine some bunch of low level (or even medium level) mobsters deciding Oswald should be killed, and Ruby agreeing to be the one to do it.

There certainly are conspiracy theories about Ruby, and since that's one I think is true, I figured I should offer it up here.

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    I'll only say, that if someone comes in here and claims that a cure for cancer already exists and that big pharma is paying everybody off to keep quiet, I will personally you myself!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
    I'll only say, that if someone comes in here and claims that a cure for cancer already exists and that big pharma is paying everybody off to keep quiet, I will personally you myself!
    According to my idiot sister-in-law, all cancer is caused by bad nutrition and lack of practicing yoga. Once she attends a new yoga seminar this summer, she will be able to cure cancer and heart disease through "targeted yoga positions". Chemo, on the other hand, is a conspiracy to make cancers grow bigger so that more treatment will be necessary.

She entertains me with all of this because my dad has cancer.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    If Ruby was connected, they should have asked for their money back (or maybe that's why they let his butt rot in jail.) Going by the time stamp on the Western Union money order he sent before shooting Oswald he almost missed it. And he'd already been known to hang around the police station and be a little less than emotionally stable. As for the people who like to argue Oswald wasn't the only gunman or wasn't involved at all, I've seen more than enough ("Inside the Target Car", which demonstrated the other positions people claim as a sniper's nest aren't even possible; the book "Case Closed", among others) to believe quite firmly that not only is Oswald acting alone, firing from the Book Depository window, is not just the most likely case, it's the only plausible explanation that fits the facts.

I don't really believe any conspiracy theories. (Cryptozoology and some paranormal stuff, I'm more open-minded.) And PDilemma, given your dad's diagnosis, the fact you presumably haven't beaten your sister-in-law with a crowbar means you are a very, VERY tolerant person.

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    ooh cryptozoology now that probably deserves its own thread. I guess it meets conspiracy theory if there are claims that the truth about some beast or other is being suppressed by authorities or someone?

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    I think it's entirely possible there are governments who have info about extraterrestrial contact that for some reason they have chosen not to share with the public.
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    I can't remember if it was a psychology or sociology class, but the one unit I clearly remember is the one on conspiracy theory. The textbook's non-conspiracy theory is most of the time for most people, conspiracy theories are about a sense of control. I know the truth, you don't. I can see the hidden, bigger picture but you can't. It's why many times it IS the socially awkward, doesn't-quite-fit-in person who buys into them. In their personal scenarios, they're outcast because they are the lone prophets and everyone else is just sheep. I've made it a bit simplistic, but that's the gist of it. I think there's some truth to that. I think sometimes it's a safe act of rebellion. My mom/dad/boss believes this, so I'll believe that. It's an outlet for disagreement that does not do harm so long as you're not sticking post-it notes and magazine articles on basement walls.

It also said, and I think this has been backed up by other studies, when people who believe in extreme ideas, hearing facts against their stance actually makes them more entrenched in their beliefs. It proves they know and the others are just parroting an official line.

We published a book for this season about JFK. It's not a conspiracy theory in the traditional sense. It comes to the conclusion that the Warren Commission willfully ignored evidence and contradictions to the evidence not because it was Castro, the mafia, or Patrick Chan but that the nation needed quick closure so everyone can get on with life. General government ineptness at its best. And who knows--maybe there was a certain truth in that belief. I'm sure there were some that believed for the good of the nation it was important to close the case as quickly as possible.

I also think everyone needs to believe in one or two conspiracy theories. It makes you interesting. After that, you're just freaking nuts. My conspiracy theories are: Kerry won in 2004 but was taken out by the voting machines used in most states which are owned by a relative of the Bush family and high fructose syrup is the root of most modern health problems and the FDA knows it (evil corn!).
    "The practice of sport is a human right. Every individual must have the possibility of practicing sport, without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic spirit, which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play." –Olympic Charter

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
    This reminded me of a TV show I saw a number of years ago called "The Water Engine." It was about a man who invented a way for automobile engines to run on water and the not surprising response of the big oil companies. The guy came to a bad end and no one else ever knew of his invention. Sort of a similar scenario to the cancer drug theory and one I've heard people say they think is true. Maybe not the water part, but some other better, cheaper, easy way that is being suppressed by big oil.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    I don't have any conspiracy theories to confess but why do people try to convince me that QE2 (or Prince Philip) had Princess Diana assassinated? Why would they care that much, let alone have the resources? And yet really smart and educated people tried to convince me of this with zero evidence, of course.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    The big oil comment reminded me of the conspiracy theory of how GM killed the electric car. GM developed about 30 electric cars in the early 90s and disbursed them to select drivers. Ultimately they decided there wouldn't be a market for them at the price point they cost to make. So they demanded all 30 cars back, shipped them to Arizona, and crushed them into the size of pop cans. ( Okay, not pop cans.). But then the theories started that GM was trying to hide the technology to keep selling their gas guzzlers.

So the theory started on certain evidence but missed the complete story. Which is probably like a lot of theories. people can hang on to them because they do have a couple of actual facts to hang on to.
    Figure skating is hard.

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    I think it's entirely possible there are governments who have info about extraterrestrial contact that for some reason they have chosen not to share with the public.
    http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...traTerrestials

Quote Originally Posted by Matryeshka View Post
    I can't remember if it was a psychology or sociology class, but the one unit I clearly remember is the one on conspiracy theory. The textbook's non-conspiracy theory is most of the time for most people, conspiracy theories are about a sense of control. I know the truth, you don't. I can see the hidden, bigger picture but you can't. It's why many times it IS the socially awkward, doesn't-quite-fit-in person who buys into them. In their personal scenarios, they're outcast because they are the lone prophets and everyone else is just sheep. I've made it a bit simplistic, but that's the gist of it. I think there's some truth to that. I think sometimes it's a safe act of rebellion. My mom/dad/boss believes this, so I'll believe that. It's an outlet for disagreement that does not do harm so long as you're not sticking post-it notes and magazine articles on basement walls.

It also said, and I think this has been backed up by other studies, when people who believe in extreme ideas, hearing facts against their stance actually makes them more entrenched in their beliefs. It proves they know and the others are just parroting an official line.
    You've just summarized the NY Times article that started the thread!

vCash
    Sometimes conspiracy theories evolve naturally because people involved in the original case are not unreasonably suspected of messing around with evidence or lying about significant details.

There are at least two Hollywood cases where conspiracy theories abound: William Desmond Taylor and Paul Bern.

And Television Without Pity has over a 1000 pages devoted to conspiracy theories about American Idol.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Sounds like a sociology class, Matry.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

Briber of judges
    vCash
    I think BR is conspiring to get us to read the extraterrestrials thread.
    I meant to take the high road.... but I missed the exit.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by snoopy View Post
    The big oil comment reminded me of the conspiracy theory of how GM killed the electric car. GM developed about 30 electric cars in the early 90s and disbursed them to select drivers. Ultimately they decided there wouldn't be a market for them at the price point they cost to make. So they demanded all 30 cars back, shipped them to Arizona, and crushed them into the size of pop cans. ( Okay, not pop cans.). But then the theories started that GM was trying to hide the technology to keep selling their gas guzzlers.
    Well there is a very good movie about that one.

I do have a friend who believes in conspiracy theories. In fact she part of the "3% of the population who knows the truth behind the economy" and the group that control everything about it. Her mission is to save the other 97% of us. Her latest theory also is that the Boston Marathon bombings took place whilst certain legislation was going through the US congress to do with handing all the banking power to this certain group. Yes she believes it was planned as distraction from that.

At the time she was relating this to me she was pretty intoxicated. So if what I wrote doesn't make sense, then neither did she much.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Conspiracy: Red Bull Racing are actively working against Mark Webber to prevent him ever winning the championship and to stop him showing up his teammate.

The sad part is it's true

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast