Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 52
  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Ravenclaw Common Room
    Posts
    2,002
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0

    Serena Williams interview

    http://deadspin.com/serena-williams-...ium=socialflow

    Basically, she thinks the 16-year-old girl that got raped by the two Steubenville, Ohio football players had it coming to her because she was drunk and should have known better. I don't even know how to deal with such a stupid statement.

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    Age
    31
    Posts
    20,719
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    34207

    Serena Williams interview

    It sounds like she puts her focus on "why was a 16 yr old that drunk at a party surrounded by boys and no adults?" I think she stops shy of placing blame on the girl. When Serena was 16 she was pro or soon to be. I think it's fair to say she has no clue of a typical teenagers upbringing and how that includes, from time to time, unsupervised parties with lots of alcohol. I really think that was her focus.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    An American Circumstance
    Posts
    4,652
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    This sounds like a total ratchet job to me. She's not even commenting on it to the journalist, but to a friend on the phone someone. She's not making a statement, but trying to work through an opinion and understand the situation. And then suddenly she's quoted as having blamed a 16-year-old girl. Pretty ridiculous, IMO, to even publish something like that.

  4. #4
    snarking for AZE
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    katbert greenhouse
    Posts
    30,171
    vCash
    2068
    Rep Power
    50062
    she's not blaming the girl but she shouldnt have been drinking. she's not blaming the girl but she was too young to be at a party. she's not blaming the girl but she may or may not have been a virgin. and those poor boys will be home in 1 to 2 yrs.

    i dont know, it sounds like she is blaming the girl to me.
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    9,802
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Whether you disagree with what Serena said or not, sometimes I think it is refreshing to hear what a person really thinks instead of saying something that is PC to appease the majority of the public.

  6. #6
    snarking for AZE
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    katbert greenhouse
    Posts
    30,171
    vCash
    2068
    Rep Power
    50062
    yes, when i read her "apology" where she called the convicted rapists "the accused," i felt like this was something new and great. you never hear people blame the victim anymore.
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

  7. #7

    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    29,626
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    42893
    Serena has published a statement on her official site: http://serenawilliams.com/blog/statement-2/
    “What happened in Steubenville was a real shock for me. I was deeply saddened. For someone to be raped, and at only sixteen, is such a horrible tragedy! For both families involved – that of the rape victim and of the accused. I am currently reaching out to the girl’s family to let her know that I am deeply sorry for what was written in the Rolling Stone article. What was written – what I supposedly said – is insensitive and hurtful, and I by no means would say or insinuate that she was at all to blame.

    I have fought all of my career for women’s equality, women’s equal rights, respect in their fields – anything I could do to support women I have done. My prayers and support always goes out to the rape victim. In this case, most especially, to an innocent sixteen year old child.”
    "Serena Williams still doesn’t know how to apologize": http://ftw.usatoday.com/2013/06/sere...-steubenville/
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

  8. #8

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    934
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    7453
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    Whether you disagree with what Serena said or not, sometimes I think it is refreshing to hear what a person really thinks instead of saying something that is PC to appease the majority of the public.
    Yeah, it allows me to revise my opinion of who is an idiot and who isn't.

  9. #9
    engaged to dupa
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Heaven for climate, Hell for company.
    Posts
    18,917
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1084
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Serena has published a statement on her official site: http://serenawilliams.com/blog/statement-2/
    What she "supposedly" said? And she's still calling them the "accused" instead of convicted scum.
    3539 and counting.

    Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    2,226
    vCash
    5550
    Rep Power
    17487
    I don't think she phrased it in a good way, but both the girl and the boys made did make really bad decisions, and I think it's important not to ignore how bad the girl's decisions were as well, if one is to learn from the situation both sides need to make better choices. The girl's bad decisions in NO way justify or lessen the even worse, and utterly cruel and disgusting, actions of the boys, and I don't think they should be used to try to sway people's opinions in that direction (is that what people mean by "blaming the victim")? I've never seen anyone argue that the perpetrators weren't responsible for their own actions also.
    Last edited by RFOS; 06-19-2013 at 06:11 PM.

  11. #11
    snarking for AZE
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    katbert greenhouse
    Posts
    30,171
    vCash
    2068
    Rep Power
    50062
    calling them boys infantilizes them and mitigates their actions. has anyone questioned why they were drinking? does she also think her sister was to blame for being shot because she was in a bad neighborhood?

    sorry rfos, but "both sides need to make better choices?" she chose to get drunk with kids from her school. they chose to rape her over an extended period of time and a lot of people glorified it on social media. putting the two together as "bad choices" makes it sound like you think the bad choices are somehow equal in severity. if the same football players passed out at a party and were sodomized, i wonder how many people would blame them for being there and for drinking with people they thought they knew?
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

  12. #12

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    2,226
    vCash
    5550
    Rep Power
    17487
    Quote Originally Posted by my little pony View Post
    calling them boys infantilizes them and mitigates their actions. has anyone questioned why they were drinking? does she also think her sister was to blame for being shot because she was in a bad neighborhood?

    sorry rfos, but "both sides need to make better choices?" she chose to get drunk with kids from her school. they chose to rape her over an extended period of time and a lot of people glorified it on social media. putting the two together as "bad choices" makes it sound like you think the bad choices are somehow equal in severity. if the same football players passed out at a party and were sodomized, i wonder how many people would blame them for being there and for drinking with people they thought they knew?
    I definitely don't think the "bad choices" were AT ALL equal in severity and specifically said that. The guys' behavior and the glorification of it are absolutely beyond vile, inhumane, and make me feel sick. The girl could have made better choices by not getting really drunk (though I remember now that there was discussion that she may have been drugged, which makes the actions of the guys even more disgusting). I don't think it's a good choice for anyone to get that drunk (if she did make that decision on her own), though obviously lots of people do it. Personally I wouldn't consider it immoral or say she's "morally" to blame for anything, and CERTAINLY not her rape (which the guys certainly are). She in no way deserved any of that and I feel terrible for all she's been through. I can't even imagine what it must be like.

    I'm also probably not "normal" because I'm usually a cautious, non-risk taking person (which certainly hasn't served me well in some areas, such as relationships ) and have never been drunk (all combined I've probably had the equivalent of a few drinks in my life, mostly comprised of small sips. I don't like the taste of alcohol and never saw the point of getting drunk or trying to acquire any kind of taste for it, specifically because I knew that various bad things would be more likely to happen (whether doing something stupid myself that I wouldn't normally do, or learning to like it too much, or ending up in a bad situation where I was drunk and didn't know what happened, or having to drive when I had had even a little bit to drink beforehand). It was a risk I didn't want to take, and I don't think I'm morally better for making the choice I did, but am glad that I did.

  13. #13
    snarking for AZE
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    katbert greenhouse
    Posts
    30,171
    vCash
    2068
    Rep Power
    50062
    people who know each other of all ages drink together without anyone getting raped. underaged drinking with people you know doesnt equate to getting raped. she wasnt raped and held for over 6 hours because she was drunk or because she was dressed "wrong." she was a victim of a crime because some criminals thought it would be funny and cool to violate someone and film it. could she have fought off all of them sober? probably not but it doesnt matter. if you get robbed in a bad area, do people go easy on the thief because you should have known better? no, they dont.
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

  14. #14

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    2,226
    vCash
    5550
    Rep Power
    17487
    Quote Originally Posted by my little pony View Post
    people who know each other of all ages drink together without anyone getting raped. underaged drinking with people you know doesnt equate to getting raped.
    I didn't say it did. No one deserves to be raped under any circumstances and they shouldn't have to worry about being raped regardless of whether they get drunk or not. It's sick and unfortunate that it happens to anyone, but it does.

    Quote Originally Posted by my little pony View Post
    if you get robbed in a bad area, do people go easy on the thief because you should have known better? no, they dont.
    And they shouldn't. They shouldn't go easy on the rapists based on whether the rape victim willingly got drunk at a party either, because the rapists' actions were equally despicable and wrong either way. I'm not advocating any difference in their sentencing or treatment in the media for that reason.

  15. #15
    engaged to dupa
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Heaven for climate, Hell for company.
    Posts
    18,917
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1084
    Quote Originally Posted by RFOS View Post
    I didn't say it did. No one deserves to be raped under any circumstances and they shouldn't have to worry about being raped regardless of whether they get drunk or not. It's sick and unfortunate that it happens to anyone, but it does.



    And they shouldn't. They shouldn't go easy on the rapists based on whether the rape victim willingly got drunk at a party either, because the rapists' actions were equally despicable and wrong either way. I'm not advocating any difference in their sentencing or treatment in the media for that reason.
    equally despicable
    Really? There's no equal about it. I know you're not defending the rapists but the way you're phrasing some things is a little discomfiting.
    3539 and counting.

    Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

  16. #16

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    2,226
    vCash
    5550
    Rep Power
    17487
    Quote Originally Posted by milanessa View Post
    Really? There's no equal about it. I know you're not defending the rapists but the way you're phrasing some things is a little discomfiting.
    I meant that the rapists' actions would've been equally morally wrong had the girl been drunk or sober. (I hope that was understood and that it was clear that I was NOT equating the girl with the rapists). If you disagree, then I'd be interested to hear why. Either way, I'm sure we agree that both are really really bad, regardless of whether they are exactly equal in badness.

    I also absolutely don't think the victim should be made to feel shame for being a victim even if she made a bad choice by getting so drunk (and it may not have been fully her choice if she was drugged). That would be just cruel and benefit no one. Hopefully she is recovering and doesn't blame herself at all for the incident.

  17. #17

    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    Age
    31
    Posts
    20,719
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    34207
    I don't like this idea that we can't ever learn from our own mistakes. Yes, the criminals are to be held responsible and what they did was absolutely awful but if we can't learn from our own mistakes, then what good does it do? I went out to a bar one night, had way too much to drink and left my credit card laying around. It was picked up and used all over town the next day. Someone stole my card and used it illegally, what they did was wrong but I still have to look back and tell myself that I could have made better choices too. It doesn't in ANY WAY let those people off the hook or mean "i brought it on myself." I don't know why people can't see that. The victim is still the victim and no one is saying you deserve it or your attackers should be let off. We're just saying, please learn from your mistakes, you can only help yourself from that.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

  18. #18
    snarking for AZE
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    katbert greenhouse
    Posts
    30,171
    vCash
    2068
    Rep Power
    50062
    Quote Originally Posted by RFOS View Post
    even if she made a bad choice by getting so drunk


    anytime you say, "i'm not blaming the victim but..." you are blaming the victim. it makes it hard to change the culture when the victim has to be perfect.
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

  19. #19

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    2,226
    vCash
    5550
    Rep Power
    17487
    Quote Originally Posted by my little pony View Post


    anytime you say, "i'm not blaming the victim but..." you are blaming the victim. it makes it hard to change the culture when the victim has to be perfect.
    I think Brian summed it up really well above, better than I did. Victims don't have to be perfect and NO ONE, perfect or not, ever deserves to be a victim of crime (especially such a heinous and traumatic one as this incident) but that doesn't mean they should NEVER look at their own behavior at all if something bad happens or is done to them and at least evaluate whether there's something they should do differently in the future. In some cases, there might not be, but in other cases there might be. I don't see that the same as "blaming" at all, but maybe you do. Obviously, we all have to take some risks and everyone has a different threshold. Getting really drunk is a risk I personally have chosen not to take, both out of personal dislike of the taste of alcohol and not wanting to put myself at a needlessly (in my opinion) higher risk for a variety of negative outcomes. That doesn't mean that I think those who do choose to get drunk DESERVE for those bad things to happen to them.
    Last edited by RFOS; 06-19-2013 at 09:33 PM.

  20. #20

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    2,226
    vCash
    5550
    Rep Power
    17487
    I just re-read Serena's comments more closely and I do find them inappropriate, since she did seem to think that guys were less to blame because the girl was so drunk and brought up that she might not have been a virgin, which is totally irrelevant, and she also pretty much ONLY focuses on the girl's behavior and not the guys'.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •